Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend Midsummer Day Dreams It Was Only A Dream (click for huge)

And He Did. (November, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (February, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (November, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (October, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (October, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (March, 1941)

Archie (March, 1956, click for big)

Feiffer (1974, click for big)

Andy Capp (December, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (February, 1972, click for big)

Dick Tracy (October, 2001, click for big)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Fleep

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BC

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Wallace the random

Big Nate

Baby Blues

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Loving Willie Gavin and Blackjack's antics :3:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

This is convoluted and contrived even for Mandrake.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set blames its tools.

Working Daze is going back to this thing.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix answers a lingering question.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Shoe

The Lockhorns

Bound and Gagged

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

FrumpleOrz posted:

Shoe

The Lockhorns

Bound and Gagged

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

I mean you post and post and post the same strips and still not a single joke in sight

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Mencius obviously isn't what he's called in China but it's the only translation I've been able to find for his name.

Oddly enough this is one of the more common East Asian cultural tropes I've seen even though it affects literally everyone in a developed economy.

Mother From Another Country

This particular comic was published in early September, which was Lunar Thanksgiving in 2014.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Calaveron posted:

I mean you post and post and post the same strips and still not a single joke in sight

Too bad that's too long to be the thread title.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Well, there are jokes but I never claimed that they were good ones!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

FrumpleOrz posted:

Well, there are jokes but I never claimed that they were good ones!

No there aren't
I mean they're called funnies so you'd think they would occasionally be but

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Calaveron posted:

No there aren't

Maybe they meant Funny, but not as in "ha ha" funny.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Some Guy TT posted:

Tracksuit

Mencius obviously isn't what he's called in China but it's the only translation I've been able to find for his name.

I looked that up once while tracking down a quotation attributed to him. Mengzi seems to be the usual form.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FrumpleOrz posted:

Shoe
Safe Havens

Right, so the guy was a lab rat, but what species is the girl supposed to be?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Say Nothing posted:

Right, so the guy was a lab rat, but what species is the girl supposed to be?

She was turned into a cat at one point.

Bill Holbrook posted:

Due to a mix-up (Thanks, dodos.), Vince and Feryl found themselves transformed into a mouse and cat, respectively. That mishap was compounded by Pam sneaking into the lab to see what they were up to. She left the open behind her, and the panicked Feryl escaped.
Now with mouse vision, Vince was able to see better in the dark. He located Border collie DNA for Pam to track Feryl. That, of course, basically turned Pam into her mother Laptop (now Brenda Scrim).

Following her new feline instincts, Feryl ran up the first tree she saw. They found her, but unfortunately Havens Animal Control found them. Vince was able to get away, but Pam and Feryl were soon incarcerated.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
what

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

random Viivi & Wagner

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Calaveron posted:

No there aren't
I liked the big mouth bass one. v:shobon:v

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bill Holbrook posted:

Due to a mix-up (Thanks, dodos.), Vince and Feryl found themselves transformed into a mouse and cat, respectively. That mishap was compounded by Pam sneaking into the lab to see what they were up to. She left the open behind her, and the panicked Feryl escaped.
Now with mouse vision, Vince was able to see better in the dark. He located Border collie DNA for Pam to track Feryl. That, of course, basically turned Pam into her mother Laptop (now Brenda Scrim).

Following her new feline instincts, Feryl ran up the first tree she saw. They found her, but unfortunately Havens Animal Control found them. Vince was able to get away, but Pam and Feryl were soon incarcerated.
Such a weird comic. :stare:

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life
This comic needs more of Barry calling Skip out on his dumb bullshit. And less of that weird way he's drawn their mouths today.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

I liked the big mouth bass one. v:shobon:v

Brewster Rockit is often actually funny ... but I have a feeling we're in for six days of fish puns. It's enough to give me a haddock.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Is this the first time we see Max' parents? This strip continues to be great in many ways.

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

This strip, however, equates its own punchline with a huge anticlimax, and is nothing if not accurate.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I game across more of work from Ethel Hays, also author of Flapper Fanny. http://yesterdays-print.com/tagged/ethel-hays Pretty drat great.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 27, 1995)

Garfield Classic (September 27, 1985)

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Second strip down, third panel. You forgot the spoiler tags and now I have seen a boob. The cops are on their way.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

does she have rollers on hahahah

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Reply All

Zits

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Can't wait to see the lovely bat and hedgehog eat thousands of sentient insects who can talk and feel. Love to see genocide in the funy Pages

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Zippy

Ripley's

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life
Oh hey, the first time this comic has been honest the entire relationship arc ...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Didn't you just try to loving shoot somebody? Sure, none of the stuff Mandrake is taking about is remotely illegal, but you tried to kill somebody in the presence of multiple law enforcement officers.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2002 Spiderman

The Amazing Mole Man

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 25, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

One of the many things that annoys me about this comic is how unnecessarily wordy it is. Everyone has to respond to everything even if it's just to repeat the thing the other character just said. Like, ignoring the fact that this isn't even a loving joke, you could cut the dialogue down significantly without losing anything at all:

Doctor: I'd like to get your BMI under 30. We need to call in the dynamic duo.
Ed: Batman and Robin?
Doctor: Diet and exercise.

It's still not a joke and it still sounds stilted and unnatural, but it's one dialogue balloon per panel instead of two and you lose the pointless repetition and Ed's waffling.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

"I better change to Peter Parker so the Chameleon doesn't notice me looking for him!"
(one week later) "poo poo., that's not working at all, I better just change to Spider-Man!"

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

How do you run a program for teens where you did not have a headcount beforehand to plan for food and also not take into consideration diet restrictions or allergies? Did they just put flyers up and hope people would show up? Why is that one guy even there then? i don't know why but the fact that all people lack basic organizational skills and somehow still succeed in their businesses pisses me off more than anything else in Luann.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dirksteadfast posted:

How do you run a program for teens where you did not have a headcount beforehand to plan for food and also not take into consideration diet restrictions or allergies? Did they just put flyers up and hope people would show up? Why is that one guy even there then? i don't know why but the fact that all people lack basic organizational skills and somehow still succeed in their businesses pisses me off more than anything else in Luann.
That's actually a really good point: wouldn't this be something the kids would sign up for in advance?

And it's not even lacking basic organizational skills. It's lacking the ability to go "we should do something resembling an interest check before sinking a bunch of time and money into this crap."

• Locked thread