Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Vinylshadow posted:

The closer she is to dying, the better off she feels as a character, meaning The Husbands of River Song and the library two-parter are arguably her best outings
Her appearance in the Name of the Doctor was rather well done, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

To be fair, even FOUR minutes is ages.
"What if I get bored, need some books, a television? Anyone for chess? Bring me knitting."

For someone who can calculate thousands of thoughts per millisecond...yeah, I can see why the Doctor has a hard time settling down and retiring
His ADHD dial is somewhere in the eighties at least

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ephemeron posted:

Her appearance in the Name of the Doctor was rather well done, too.

That moment where the Doctor catches her hand as she goes to slap him!

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Oh poo poo, I just realized why this happened. It was really up in the air how much they were going to be able to do for the 50th anniversary special, so they set up for what was essentially the 'last resort' option where they could only get Jenna and Matt, where they'd essentially use the conceit of fixing the Doctor's timestream for a high-concept clip show. Clearly, what happened is that the plan for Day of the Doctor only fell into place fairly late, to the point where they couldn't write their way out of their contingency plan.

Ha ha, that would've sucked so hard. Lol if that's actually anywhere close to the reason why we had that weird mess at the end of that series.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

That moment where the Doctor catches her hand as she goes to slap him!
The Doctor: You’re always here to me. And I always listen. And I can always see you.
River: Then why didn’t you speak to me?
The Doctor: Because I thought it would hurt too much.
River: I believe I could have coped.
The Doctor: No. I thought it would hurt me. And I was right. {he kisses her} Since nobody else in this room can see you, God knows how that looked. There is a time to live and a time to sleep. You are an echo, River. Like Clara, like all of this. In the end, my fault, I know. But you should have faded by now.
River: It’s hard to leave when you haven’t said goodbye.
The Doctor: Then tell me, because I don’t know. How do I say it?
River: There’s only one way I would accept. If you ever loved me, say it like you’re going to come back.
The Doctor: Well then. See you around, Professor River Song.
River: ‘Til the next time, Doctor.
The Doctor: Don’t wait up.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

toanoradian posted:

Because of that Clara is the only companion who've seen every Doctor and is also the most important companion.

Heck off. The whole climax of the Impossible Girl plot is that "The Impossible Girl" is a Manic Pixie Dream Girl fantasy that the Doctor focuses on instead of treating Clara like the real person she is. She's only "important" because she makes sacrifices and aspires to Doctorishness in a way few past Companions have - but when female characters exhibit the same character traits as Matt Smith or Peter Capaldi's Doctors, they're "arrogant" or "reckless" or "shrill".

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Stabbatical posted:

Even in series 9, The Hybrid stuff was badly handled too. Clara's increasingly suicidal stunts (which I viewed as some kind of reckless grief/self-destruction in reaction to Danny having died and re-died horribly) was a really subtly done arc though.

Ah did I say 9? I meant 10. That hybrid stuff was mince.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Not so much because they are girls but because they aren't over 2000 years old, drat near indestructible, and can't see all of time and space. The way the doctor interacts with River, Missy, bad wolf rose and the tardis is very different to how he interacts with humans in general.

The arc is there with Clara all through season 9, and aside from the concerned looks, he first directly addresses it quite early on with the there is only room for one doctor speech. He is aware that there is a problem and acknowledges that he let it go to far at the end, but if you think about it, Clara had a death wish and there is no guarantee that if he'd dropped her off on earth then she wouldn't have done something stupid and got herself killed by thrill seeking, so it was catch 22.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Not so much because they are girls but because they aren't over 2000 years old, drat near indestructible, and can't see all of time and space. The way the doctor interacts with River, Missy, bad wolf rose and the tardis is very different to how he interacts with humans in general.

The arc is there with Clara all through season 9, and aside from the concerned looks, he first directly addresses it quite early on with the there is only room for one doctor speech. He is aware that there is a problem and acknowledges that he let it go to far at the end, but if you think about it, Clara had a death wish and there is no guarantee that if he'd dropped her off on earth then she wouldn't have done something stupid and got herself killed by thrill seeking, so it was catch 22.

Yeah there's another speech comes across worse than the writers probably intended it to. "Don't go around trying to make things better, that's for immortals. All you fragile's need to keep your heads down and leave the villains to your betters."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The hybrid stuff was mostly fine, IMO. :shrug:

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Heck off. The whole climax of the Impossible Girl plot is that "The Impossible Girl" is a Manic Pixie Dream Girl fantasy that the Doctor focuses on instead of treating Clara like the real person she is. She's only "important" because she makes sacrifices and aspires to Doctorishness in a way few past Companions have - but when female characters exhibit the same character traits as Matt Smith or Peter Capaldi's Doctors, they're "arrogant" or "reckless" or "shrill".

I agree that The Doctor projected a weird fantasy about her onto her the entire time and was very duplicitous with why he was interested in taking her into the TARDIS but plenty of companions have been self-sacraficing and aspired to be or became like The Doctor in some way. I mean, it was Rose's two (then four) series arc. Same for Martha and Amy. That's not unique to Clara.

Part of the reason that story didn't intrest me too much was, well, why would I want to watch The Doctor be a creep? 11 was a weird alien who didn't get people or good taste but he was a like a big teenage boy in the way that arc was done. That may be why I enjoyed seeing Clara with 12 more. He let her be her own person, with no fantasy. It just ended up being a tragically unhealthy relationship for both of them.

marktheando posted:

A mince of 70% fat and 30% bollock meat... like a Hybrid?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiZDf9LcJbA

Lovely, like all of their work

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait

Was there a Dalek story this last season? Season 10?

I don't think there was. I don't remember one

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

Wait

Was there a Dalek story this last season? Season 10?

I don't think there was. I don't remember one

There was a cameo of a Dalek (and some Movellans) in the Pilot

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope that's enough not to get poo poo from the Nation estate

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Burkion posted:

They had a speaking role, I think they're safe

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

There wasn't a Dalek episode in season 6 either, just cameos in a few episodes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

There wasn't a Dalek episode in season 6 either, just cameos in a few episodes.

They definitely had more presence there. I don't even remember their cameo in this one.

The Stone Dalek was basically The Villain, as much as there could be one, in the finale of 6.

EDIT: never mind I just remembered that was season 5. Huh.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, I'm halfway through season 6 in my rewatch and haven't seen a Dalek yet, I don't think. I don't even remember where they show up, but I think it's in the finale, in the alternate "everything is together" timeline or w/e

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the Doctor interrogates the top half of a wrecked Dalek in either the penultimate season six episode or the finale.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the Doctor interrogates the top half of a wrecked Dalek in either the penultimate season six episode or the finale.

Penultimate season 6 episode is "Closing Time", with stormageddon and the cybermen, the finale is "the wedding of river song", and I have no memory of seeing it, but according to a quick google "Series 6 is the first series of the 2005-present revival not to include Daleks, save for a cameo appearance by the Supreme Dalek in the finale. ".

Has the bbc/nation estate "There must be a dalek every season" thing ever been confirmed or is it still just a rumor? In any case if it is a thing and they counted "Cameo in the finale" then they shouldnt have a problem with "speaking role in the first episode" of this season. If it is a thing I wish it wasnt, I feel like most Doctor Who villains suffer if they have too much repetition (See; Angels, Weeping and Silence, The), Daleks feel like more of a threat if they arent a thing he defeats once a year, every year.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

marktheando posted:

Ten had a good overarching plot because it was nothing more than a subplot. They resolved "who's in the vault" by episode 6, and the finale tied it up without taking over the whole thing.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I've listened to the first two parts of "Only the Monstrous" and I like it so far. Nothing amazing, but John Hurt is killing it as expected. I wish I had more to say about it, but that's about all there is. It's fine and John Hurt rules. I do like the War Doctor version of the theme a lot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BdoYLJBLRw

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SiKboy posted:

Has the bbc/nation estate "There must be a dalek every season" thing ever been confirmed or is it still just a rumor? In any case if it is a thing and they counted "Cameo in the finale" then they shouldnt have a problem with "speaking role in the first episode" of this season. If it is a thing I wish it wasnt, I feel like most Doctor Who villains suffer if they have too much repetition (See; Angels, Weeping and Silence, The), Daleks feel like more of a threat if they arent a thing he defeats once a year, every year.

speeking of weeping angels, one thing I'm surprised Moffet did not do, along with being the one to address the Valeyard thing as long as he was playing with regenerations, was make a "genesis of the angels" episode before someone else did.

maybe he'll still write one for chibnall.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I always thought the rumoured Nation deal was "once per year". Hence why they used that clip from "The Pilot" to introduce Bill last year.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I love that basically Bill's only exposure to Daleks is running away from them, and then watching them get jobbed to show how powerful the Pilot is.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

speeking of weeping angels, one thing I'm surprised Moffet did not do, along with being the one to address the Valeyard thing as long as he was playing with regenerations, was make a "genesis of the angels" episode before someone else did.

The Angels' origin was hinted at way back in series 5:

quote:

What if we had ideas that could think for themselves? What if one day our dreams no longer needed us? When these things occur and are held to be true, the time will be upon us. The time of Angels.
ie the Angels are an idea that came to life

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I've been rewatching Capaldi's run and it doesn't really surprise me they picked a female Doctor given the amount of softening up we've gotten the past few years. First the Master regens into Missy, then in Hell bent we see the General regent into a woman (and she quips about being a man like she had previously been a woman before), then this past season the Doctor mentions offhand that the Master had previously been a woman. This was set up for at least three years, so not a shock at all (though obviously they could gone either way).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Right, that's the one I was thinking of.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Slowpoke! posted:

I've been rewatching Capaldi's run and it doesn't really surprise me they picked a female Doctor given the amount of softening up we've gotten the past few years. First the Master regens into Missy, then in Hell bent we see the General regent into a woman (and she quips about being a man like she had previously been a woman before), then this past season the Doctor mentions offhand that the Master had previously been a woman. This was set up for at least three years, so not a shock at all (though obviously they could gone either way).

And don't forget the mention of the Corsair, back in 11's run.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

jivjov posted:

And don't forget the mention of the Corsair, back in 11's run.

Or, for that matter, The Curse of Fatal Death. Which sure, was a comedy sketch, but I remember Moffat in the making of feature saying he didn't see any reason it couldn't happen canonically too.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

docbeard posted:

Or, for that matter, The Curse of Fatal Death. Which sure, was a comedy sketch, but I remember Moffat in the making of feature saying he didn't see any reason it couldn't happen canonically too.

He seemed aware that there'd been behind the scenes discussions of doing it in the old show. Which makes him a bigger fan than Peter Capaldi, who doesn't seem to have known that and keeps insisting on Moffat getting all the credit for the idea

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It wasn't until I watched this that I realised the end of Last Christmas calls back to Time Of The Doctor. I should have realised after he helped Clara with her cracker. As if that ending wasn't perfect already :3:

E: love a bit of symmetry

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 26, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

2house2fly posted:

The Angels' origin was hinted at way back in series 5:
ie the Angels are an idea that came to life

Aren't all monsters in a work of fiction ideas that came to life? :v:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm listening to Rat Trap as it's one of the few 5/Tegan/Nyssa/Turlough audios I haven't yet got to. And five minutes in I remember why. This is pretty much a textbook example of "tell, don't show", complete with a scene where all the secondary characters literally say their full names, occupations and why they're there. And now another one is giving her entire backstory and career history unprompted. This is some sub Pip and Jane level poo poo.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

maybe he couldn't think of an origin story that would contradict their other appearances enough

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cerv posted:

maybe he couldn't think of an origin story that would contradict their other appearances enough

They were actually the voord all along.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Aren't all monsters in a work of fiction ideas that came to life? :v:

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I'm watching Series 10 again and drat, Matt Lucas is just so great as Nardole.

• Locked thread