Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016
So I am applying for gradschool at a school in DC. Kinda nervous about not getting in. Same school also has non degree certificate program, in the same field, that according to the school certifying official is qualified for post 9/11 and partial MAH. She did not specify the amount. Is there a way to calculate that amount? The program is 6 months long and has 10.8 CEU units instead of credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
For grad school, "full time" is determined by the school since they all do it differently. That's the only part I know.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Godholio posted:

For grad school, "full time" is determined by the school since they all do it differently. That's the only part I know.

Thank you! I will email the program again to see how they classify it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
How far in advance should I apply for Voc rehab if I plan on using it in September 2018? Does the amount of time make a difference if I begin using it in January 2019? It'll be for grad school. I don't know if applications expire and I'm still over a year away from needing it.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
It depends on what you want Voc Rehab to do for you. My understanding is that it is more difficult to get Voc Rehab to pay for grad school, because you need to show why your bachelors isn't good enough to get you a job. What you'll need to show your counselor that to be successful in your desired career field the majority of successful applicants need to have advanced degrees.

It might be better to get in on Voc Rehab sooner rather than later though. If your plan is approved Voc Rehab will pay for you to finish your current degree and for grad school. Also I think that if you don't use up all of your Post 9/11 you might be able to get BAH when you are in your grad program.

You should check out the VR&E manual:
http://www.benefits.va.gov/WARMS/M28R.asp

Elsa did a great post on what the VR&E counselor wanted:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750680&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post471535176

With those resources you can figure out the best way to get the counselor to approve exactly what you want.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'd apply as soon as possible, it took me like 2 months to even get my first appointment. Worst case scenario you get processed into the system and any later appointments should be faster to get.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I want to take an acting workshop or short term program, like a coding bootcamp (but not actually a coding bootcamp) for something I'm passionate about but don't want to invest an entire degree in. I have 15 months of post 9/11 left.

Does post 9/11 play well with those kinds of programs? I'm hoping to jump in one soon.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know if there's any sites to actually let me compare APR rates for VA Loans? I looked at USAA and NFCU and the latter was like .5 cheaper for a 30-year.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It depends on your credit and whatnot.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Anyone know if there's any sites to actually let me compare APR rates for VA Loans? I looked at USAA and NFCU and the latter was like .5 cheaper for a 30-year.

You can check out https://www.zillow.com/mortgage-rates/

You can input your credit score, whether it is a VA loan or whatever then it gives you APR rates from a bunch of companies. I probably wouldn't recommend using any of the companies on the list, but in my experience the APR estimates were pretty close to the APR I got from a real bank on my VA loan a few years back.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
So, Navy Federal Credit Union seems to blow away the other VA Loans like USAA and Veterans United right now.

Their interest rate (3.25% !) on a 30-year loan is a full .5% lower than USAA and 1% lower than Veterans United.

They will rate-match, and they will for free let you do a one-time lock to a lower rate if they ever go lower in the next 30 years.

For a 2-family house in my county they'll let me do 765k with no money down... assuming I rent out one of the two apartments, and at that interest rate, they're pretty much paying me to live there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Goddamnit. I hate that I live somewhere I hope to leave in a year or so.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Update, one big difference between NFCU and USAA... even though USAA is 0.5% higher rate, they allow the purchase of 3 and 4 family homes, where NFCU draws the line at 2-family homes no matter what.

The amount the VA with loan you scales up with each unit up to 4. The VA considers 5 or more as an apartment building which they will not loan for.

USAA pre-approved me for:

$598k - 1 fam
$765k - 2 fam
$925k - 3 fam
$1.15m - 4 fam

Pretty insane that I can become an Uncle Pennybags real estate mogul with no down payment.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Something worth looking into is whether or not the loan originator will sell off the loan immediately or give it to a loan servicing company. USAA preapproved me for a loan, but I found out that they were using Ocwen as a loan servicer. Ocwen is Treasure Secretary Steve Mnuchin's company that was built to scam consumers and the federal government.

My father's home loan had been turned over to Ocwen for servicing and he is still fighting in court years later because they tried to illegally foreclose on his house and constantly added fake charges to his mortgage total. It is a huge clusterfuck and was apparently extremely widespread. My basic understanding of the scam is that during the mortgage bailout the government was reimbursing these companies losses when they had to foreclose on a house, so they ended up finding it was far more profitable to falsely inflate mortgage totals with legal fees and fake charges then raise the house payments for the borrowers with illegal actions like collecting escrow taxes for multiple years in advance (and then not paying the property taxes) until they couldn't afford the payments anymore. Then when they foreclose they report the total value of the mortgage to the government with all the added charges to make it worth far more than the loan was originally for and they get it all at once instead of having to wait.

My point is, just be careful and try to make sure the company you think you are doing business with is actually who you will be dealing with over the life of the loan.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Delizin posted:

Something worth looking into is whether or not the loan originator will sell off the loan immediately or give it to a loan servicing company. USAA preapproved me for a loan, but I found out that they were using Ocwen as a loan servicer. Ocwen is Treasure Secretary Steve Mnuchin's company that was built to scam consumers and the federal government.

My father's home loan had been turned over to Ocwen for servicing and he is still fighting in court years later because they tried to illegally foreclose on his house and constantly added fake charges to his mortgage total. It is a huge clusterfuck and was apparently extremely widespread. My basic understanding of the scam is that during the mortgage bailout the government was reimbursing these companies losses when they had to foreclose on a house, so they ended up finding it was far more profitable to falsely inflate mortgage totals with legal fees and fake charges then raise the house payments for the borrowers with illegal actions like collecting escrow taxes for multiple years in advance (and then not paying the property taxes) until they couldn't afford the payments anymore. Then when they foreclose they report the total value of the mortgage to the government with all the added charges to make it worth far more than the loan was originally for and they get it all at once instead of having to wait.

My point is, just be careful and try to make sure the company you think you are doing business with is actually who you will be dealing with over the life of the loan.

Hmm, good looking out, now that I think about it, NFCU went out of their way (without my asking) to let me know they they would always service my loan (even if they sell it) but USAA made no such promise...

Edit: USAA told me they never sell their loans no matter what, they only contract out the servicing to some companies they trust. One of those companies went bankrupt and was bought up by Ocwen which explains how they got stuck working with them, and they don't work with them anymore. They said if anything catastrophic ever happens with the loan servicing, they can always pull it back to their in-house servicing. So I guess I feel better with that explanation.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 14, 2017

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Has anyone used VocRehab for an expensive program, where you had to pretty routinely buy expensive things? How did they take it? How much of a pain was it to get reimbursed?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

loving app double posted.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

I just started Voc Rehab this summer for an associates degree in Gunsmithing. I don't start class until next month, but I've already started ordering tools, equipment and a laptop for it through Voc Rehab. It really couldn't be much easier purchasing stuff. When I find something that I am interested in, I email my voc rehab guy a link to it online. If it is over $500 then I need to send something from the school stating that it is required. The next day or so I'll get an email back from him either telling me that he ordered it for me if he can get the exact item from GSA or telling me to go ahead and purchase it and they'll reimburse.

When they reimburse it takes a few weeks for the check to come in the mail from the Treasury Dept, however it doesn't seem like they are on a monthly schedule like regular VA payments. The regional office in Colorado does not allow reimbursements to be sent via direct deposit for some reason, but your results may vary. To maximize my benefit from reimbursements I put all the charges on my credit card with cash back rewards and pay it off when the check arrives (or before the due date so there is no interest charge if the check doesn't get there before).

When I show up at the school they have a lot of the tools and supplies required for the program available at the school bookstore. They have already told me they opened up an account for me there and I can just walk in and get everything I need without ever seeing a bill.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

I was being seen by a specialty clinic at the VA that was recently closed and I was informed that patients from the clinic would be sent to Choice program instead.

This morning I read this: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/19/va-limits-choice-for-veterans-care-as-funds-run-dr/

I'm assuming it will be funded, but this raises some concerns. That means the clinic was closed before there was a solid plan to treat vets, they just went on the assumption that Choice works and would be funded. Also, isn't Congress supposed to be in recess right now? So noble of them to introduce emergency funding since they happen to be in town.

I've got bad brains so I may be completely off the mark here, I'm just trying to make sense of the whole thing. I've had amazingly bad experiences with every aspect of the VA, so nothing surprises me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MonkeyWash posted:

That means the clinic was closed before there was a solid plan to treat vets,

Correct.

MonkeyWash posted:

they just went on the assumption that Choice works and would be funded.

This, though, is not necessarily. Choice was assumed to fill in the gap, I'm sure, but I don't think choice mattered in closing the clinic. Like in the absence of the choice program, the clinic probably would have closed regardless.

The reason is because the government doesn't actually want to help vets because it forces them to acknowledge the damage it did to them.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 20, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

We're also not cheap. Or rich.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

It's the Pain Management clinic in Denver. I was getting regular nerve blocks done but the Dr switched to nerve ablation since it lasts longer and he was so booked. I went to my most recent appointment and was informed he was leaving, the clinic was closing, and the new hospital in Aurora won't have a pain clinic.

I tried to use Choice for pain in the past, it took three months and when I went to the appointment I found out that the VA had canceled the choice appointment and hadn't told me. I still got billed and I am fighting that battle as well.

I just want to use my own Doctor with Medicare, but when I tried that somehow the VA got involved due to being my primary insurance and the billing was messed up.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Delizin posted:

I just started Voc Rehab this summer for an associates degree in Gunsmithing. I don't start class until next month, but I've already started ordering tools, equipment and a laptop for it through Voc Rehab. It really couldn't be much easier purchasing stuff. When I find something that I am interested in, I email my voc rehab guy a link to it online. If it is over $500 then I need to send something from the school stating that it is required. The next day or so I'll get an email back from him either telling me that he ordered it for me if he can get the exact item from GSA or telling me to go ahead and purchase it and they'll reimburse.

When they reimburse it takes a few weeks for the check to come in the mail from the Treasury Dept, however it doesn't seem like they are on a monthly schedule like regular VA payments. The regional office in Colorado does not allow reimbursements to be sent via direct deposit for some reason, but your results may vary. To maximize my benefit from reimbursements I put all the charges on my credit card with cash back rewards and pay it off when the check arrives (or before the due date so there is no interest charge if the check doesn't get there before).

When I show up at the school they have a lot of the tools and supplies required for the program available at the school bookstore. They have already told me they opened up an account for me there and I can just walk in and get everything I need without ever seeing a bill.

I just got accepted into vocrehab for the same thing, but am getting ready to start my second semester, and wasn't sure how it would work.

E- check pms

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 20, 2017

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

I just got accepted into vocrehab for the same thing, but am getting ready to start my second semester, and wasn't sure how it would work.

E- check pms

Awesome, Bulletsponge and I are in the same school/program. We'll be neighbors in the dorms next month. I'm sure it will be just like back in the barracks; hijinks, eiffle towering bitches and the occasional fireguard shift.

I'll send you a more specific answer in PM.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My school said a 27 year old living in dorms would be inappropriate and strongly advised against it.

I'm okay with that policy because not living around a bunch of 18-22 year olds is awesome.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

This school puts all the socially retarded gunsmith students in a dorm together. It's not as retarded as the barracks, but over half the dude's in the program are loving spergy as gently caress.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
My 3rd academic year started super early (July 10th) which incidentally fell into the previous academic year as defined by the VA (8/1 to 7/31). I had already maxed out my tuition benefit money with the GI Bill during that year. Basically, I just got boned out of 22k by burning a semester's worth of benefits when I was certified from 7/10 to 12/22.

I don't suppose anyone else has ever had this unusual situation?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TBeats posted:

My school said a 27 year old living in dorms would be inappropriate and strongly advised against it.

I'm okay with that policy because not living around a bunch of 18-22 year olds is awesome.

Unless it's coed.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

Unless it's coed.

Still not worth it. College students are loud, stupid, and annoying. I would end up killing someone by the end of my first week if I can't sleep because they wanna do stupid poo poo.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

Unless it's coed.

Even if it was a harem it likely would be more obnoxious than worth it.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

TBeats posted:

Still not worth it. College students are loud, stupid, and annoying. I would end up killing someone by the end of my first week if I can't sleep because they wanna do stupid poo poo.

Ever been to college before? Yah it is worth it to be swimming in pussy. Freshman dorms are especially amazing. You have a good six months where banging one chick was basically a guarantee you could get all of her friends too. Jesus Christ. Being married and having kids is for retards I have a goddamn boner right now just thinking of the dorms I lived in in 2004-2005. If I went back in time I'd be less picky and widen my net and probably father some bastards to ensure my legacy lives forever

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Being older in college is like playing easy mode in regards to getting laid. It's so loving easy, it's funny.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

milk milk lemonade posted:

Ever been to college before? Yah it is worth it to be swimming in pussy. Freshman dorms are especially amazing. You have a good six months where banging one chick was basically a guarantee you could get all of her friends too. Jesus Christ. Being married and having kids is for retards I have a goddamn boner right now just thinking of the dorms I lived in in 2004-2005. If I went back in time I'd be less picky and widen my net and probably father some bastards to ensure my legacy lives forever

i have a house i can bring them back to. way better than dorms.

plus you cant have dogs in dorms. you know what's a pussy magnet? monty.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 24, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: NM

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

TBeats posted:

plus you cant have dogs in dorms. you know what's a pussy magnet? monty.

I'm a ten minute drive from my campus, otherwise I'd be walking my dog on campus a lot.

Of course, I do need to walk her more...

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Is there any paperwork or type of ID I need in order to use the VA?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Reverand maynard posted:

Is there any paperwork or type of ID I need in order to use the VA?

You have to register with a DD93, they'll issue you a VA card after that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Took me three visits, but yep! :downs:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
At this point I have found out that none of the banks who do VA loans actually know how they work, and realtors advise sellers to accept offers with VA loans, AMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Also some neat new benefits I learned about :

- Home Depot and Lowes are now doing a permanent 10% discount for disabled vets (any % rating, verify with your VA ID card), still no discount for non-disabled vets though.

- Starting November 11th, all vets will be able to shop online at the military exchange sites (not on-base though). I'm not sure if the online stuff is a good deal or not; it is all tax-free, but then so is most everything on NewEgg/eBay. Maybe they have low markups? Sign up at https://www.vetverify.org/