Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So apparently I'm a complete idiot today.

A client was having trouble getting into their voicemail pro server to change some of the greetings. I look at our remote access and notice it's down completely. I wonder if their vmpro server is offline. So I call our contact at the site to ask if their voicemail is working at all right now. She doesn't answer, so I leave a message, asking if their voicemail system has been working at all. I hang up and immediately realize I'm a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Didn't get a call back *closes ticket*

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

An exec wants to use Google Home here at work. Of course it doesn't work. I can't find jack poo poo on what protocols, ports, or sites Google Home connects to. It gets an IP but then fails. Good times.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Did you connect a smartphone to the same WiFi, open the Google home app, sign in to a Gmail account, and attempt to provision the Google home?

I have to imagine it just uses http and https, it shouldn't need any special ports.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We filter all port 80 traffic through Cisco Web Security, but yeah provisioning fails. Some forums are saying that it needs to connect to Google DNS to work, maybe that's it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

I got a user who got this message, and when they signed out their password wouldn't work any more. They changed it according to policy about 3 weeks ago. Their account wasn't locked, but for some reason the "password expired" flag was set, but it wouldn't let them change their password either until I reset it in AD. This something to worry about on their system?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
"The storage bar on the [Main company file share] has gone red, anything we should be worried about?"

It's funnier because the file server is also where Exchange 2013 and its DB lives, I wonder if the threat of deleting loads of poo poo is convincing enough to buy licensing for VM's... or even o365.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Super Slash posted:

"The storage bar on the [Main company file share] has gone red, anything we should be worried about?"

It's funnier because the file server is also where Exchange 2013 and its DB lives, I wonder if the threat of deleting loads of poo poo is convincing enough to buy licensing for VM's... or even o365.

Your file server and Exchange server are one and the same?

:ohdear:

Tell me it's not running Windows SBS, at least...?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanatosian posted:

Your file server and Exchange server are one and the same?

:ohdear:

Tell me it's not running Windows SBS, at least...?

Oh you know it's going to be. WSUS is also going to be corrupted and ballooning in size faster than anyone can decide to fix the problem.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Holy poo poo if exchange 2013 is installed on sbs.

No. Bad MSP.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You know that USB disks from the store down the street will be the answer here

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

You know that USB thumbdrives plugged into a USB hub and RAID-0'd together with the label "Server Drives" on the hub from the store down the street will be the answer here

Annnnnnd there we go

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Annnnnnd there we go

This sounds like a Linus Tech Tips video.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Linus wouldn't label them

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

TinTower posted:

The video where his server dies is a guilty pleasure of mine.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I can still see the panic on his face as he can't understand how he could have lost all his data.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I can still see the panic on his face as he can't understand how he could have lost all his data.

"WE have three RAID-5 arrays striped together..."

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Annnnnnd there we go

Nothing about that is branded Buffalo, so there is still some hope.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You go to LTT for the impractical but cool-looking projects, and stay for the dead servers.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

blackswordca posted:

Same. As someone who works with SAN and NAS units all the time it is both horrifying and educational.

Mostly horrifying though. Though it reminds me that I need to check on the data recovery of a Drobo that a client asked us to take a look at. Nothing like a 6 TB device reporting at 18 TB :allears:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TinTower posted:

He did literally do a USB drive RAID a couple weeks ago with those nVidia GeForce USB keys.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

pr0digal posted:

Same. As someone who works with SAN and NAS units all the time it is both horrifying and educational.

Mostly horrifying though. Though it reminds me that I need to check on the data recovery of a Drobo that a client asked us to take a look at. Nothing like a 6 TB device reporting at 18 TB :allears:

The Drobos can thin prov datasets that are a LOT larger than the backing file store. I assume that the assumption is that you can always put bigger disks in the Drobo or something.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

You'd think I'm using dark magic when I print to our other office via network print, rather than fax. I've got one coworker on board but the rest are still faxing away because it's what they've always done. I don't know if our office phone service is straight unlimited, but I sure hope so because it's long distance between the offices.

Is long distance still a thing? I just realized I've had mobile only for so long I don't even know for sure anymore.

I was viewed as a loving wizard at an old job when I had our IT company set me up to be able to print to any printer in the building. I got sick of being asked to print things that were on a common shared network drive and walking it down two flights of stairs so this was the compromise I came up with.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

blackswordca posted:

"WE have three RAID-5 arrays striped together..."

Wait, I missed that. His software multi-RAID was at the top a RAID 0?

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k&t=114s

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zil posted:

Nothing about that is branded Buffalo, so there is still some hope.

We are taking over IT services for a company whose backups are on a Buffalo

:shepicide:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

mewse posted:

My brother has one of those routers, he made the SSID "BUFFALOL"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

anthonypants posted:

25 SSDs total, configured as 8 disks connected to three controllers as RAID 5 each, and then a software RAID 0 in Windows. The 25th drive was a cold swap.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Holy poo poo if exchange 2013 is installed on sbs.

No. Bad MSP.
You're half on the money!
No we actually got rid of SBS years ago and moved everything to 2012r2, HOWEVER the migration was taken care of via MSP and during the install I did ask them something along the lines of;

"So uh, aren't we going to have everything separated onto different virtual machines on this beefy new host?"
"Nah it's ok things can still run fine on one"
"Oh :smith:"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

anthonypants posted:

25 SSDs total, configured as 8 disks connected to three controllers as RAID 5 each, and then a software RAID 0 in Windows. The 25th drive was a cold swap.

I don't... why would you... what?

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

For views and ad revenue.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Super Slash posted:

You're half on the money!
No we actually got rid of SBS years ago and moved everything to 2012r2, HOWEVER the migration was taken care of via MSP and during the install I did ask them something along the lines of;

"So uh, aren't we going to have everything separated onto different virtual machines on this beefy new host?"
"Nah it's ok things can still run fine on one"
"Oh :smith:"

A single virtual running every service? I mean poo poo, count yourself lucky they didn't install it on bare metal, but goddamn if they're going through the trouble of setting up VMware they might as well use it correctly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The Claptain posted:

For views and ad revenue.

But presumably you only need the ad revenue because you spent $texas on 25 sodding SSDs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Judge Schnoopy posted:

A single virtual running every service? I mean poo poo, count yourself lucky they didn't install it on bare metal, but goddamn if they're going through the trouble of setting up VMware they might as well use it correctly.

After purchasing hardware, licensing backup software, buying CALs, putting the time in to get everything configured

:qq: But Windows Server licenses are so expensive :qq:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

But presumably you only need the ad revenue because you spent $texas on 25 sodding SSDs.

I think he got the SSDs free. Because apparently tech companies love his batshit ideas and channel viewership.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

Guilty my rear end, that video is a goddamn pleasure. The only thing that would've made it better would be if he did lose all data

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Fil5000 posted:

They're sponsored by Kingston. (The drives were Kingston as well) so I bet they got them for free or at cost...

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

mewse posted:

My goondolences

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

BUT I HAD SO MANY RAIDS LAYERED! HOW COULD I LOSE EVERYTHING?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Raid 00. All those juicy benefits.

• Locked thread