Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i've had this for like a year or two on PC but every time i try to play it i get overwhelmed with all of the poo poo there is to do with the open world nature of the game. i got especially frustrated because i looked at a wiki online and it seemed like there were one-time only quests that had obtuse requirements (go to X town between 12:01:00 and 12:01:30 on an even numbered day of the week with a pawn that has a name that starts and ends with a vowel) and i don't want to have to play with an FAQ open the whole time just to make sure i'm not missing on sweet sweet content.

i guess my question is, how gimped is my character if i only stick to the main story quests plus whatever side content is obviously sitting in front of my face? i'm normally someone that wants to do everything in a game, but now that i've got a kid i don't have 120 hours to explore every nook and cranny of an open world game.

If you're really the fretting completionist type just keep this page handy. It tells you when you should have a quest finished by if it's time-limited.

Of the non-story quests you can miss out on, the only ones especially valuable are the Quina quests (Lost & Found, Venture Forth, Talent in Bloom, and A Parting Gift) since doing them is necessary for a few other quest lines, and the rewards are super loving good. In the penultimate quest the item you're supposed to ferry can be perfectly forged at The Black Cat. As long as you always have one of these forgeries and keep it in storage you can always make more to carry around with you. The item doubles all Exp gained for an entire in-game day. The last quest's reward is the game's best healing item, and it too can be perfectly forged by The Black Cat (turns out the forger makes a surprisingly good herbalist).

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i've had this for like a year or two on PC but every time i try to play it i get overwhelmed with all of the poo poo there is to do with the open world nature of the game.

Play for like 20 hours and you'll run out of open world poo poo really loving fast.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Anyone know if its possible to transfer your old save file to a diffrent alt account and then start a new character on your main steam account?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Iretep posted:

Anyone know if its possible to transfer your old save file to a diffrent alt account and then start a new character on your main steam account?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=602715139

This may help; FluffyQuack does a lot of work with Capcom games. You may have to go and find-replace instances of your main's steam user ID with your alt's, though.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I transferred my 360 save over to an alt Steam account. It even kept the pawns I was renting, but they went away forever when I sent them back to the rift.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Mad Dragon posted:

I transferred my 360 save over to an alt Steam account. It even kept the pawns I was renting, but they went away forever when I sent them back to the rift.

Temp ban. If the servers detect something fishy about the pawns, they'll be blocked at least temporarily. If their attributes are otherwise valid, they SHOULD turn back up, but I think it's like a 3 month window. Then again, copying save data may fall under criteria for permanent blacklisting, but I dunno.

Anyway, instead of copying saves, just start alt steam accounts and family share. Again, no need to copy saves if you're going to do any of this. Just start a new save.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

thanks everybody for all of the assurance. I've previously made it as far as having to go find some ancient dude that was the arisen in another timeline (or something) but I hadn't played that save in more than a year, and didn't want to have to figure out what I had already done, so I just started a new game.

the hydra battle at the first fort comes up really quickly if you just do the main quest stuff. it felt like that event took way longer to happen on my last attempt, but that's probably because I spent hours chasing bandits and goblins all over mountains and forests.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Without spoiling much, there's a new game+ and you can follow a guide the second time and get stuff. You -might- want to spoil yourself a tiny bit with regards to getting a golden idol but that's really the only thing I can think of and even that is largely unnecessary.

Also, just play anything and everything. With periapts and such, your stats are rarely going to matter. If and when you reach a point that they do, periapts will easily cover any deficiency.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I really love and hate this game at the same time. I gave it another shot yesterday, after an aborted attempt last weekend where I fell of a rooftop after playing for a few hours and had to start all over from the beginning. I tried again yesterday and played for most of the day, then something similar happened where I cleared out the entire Witchwood before accidentally clicking that I wanted to retry from the last checkpoint instead of just retrying, which turned out to be back in Cassardis.

The game would be 30-40% more enjoyable if it had a better interface. First of all, hotkeys. F5 to quicksave, M for map, J for quests, C for status. The first Baldur's Gate had figured this out. Second, just merge the inventory and equipment screens like in every other RPG. Why is this so clunky and cumbersome? Third, if you are going to make people painstakingly manually save, at least put in more checkpoints.

It's a credit to the rest of the game that despite the insanely aggravating console interface which was apparently left untouched for the port, I keep coming back for more. Last night I was so bummed out that I vowed not to touch the game for at least a week, but I'm going to dive back in after posting this. And they did give us 144Hz and I assume a bunch of other graphical improvements, so it wasn't a 100% lazy port.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Phlegmish posted:

The game would be 30-40% more enjoyable if it had a better interface. First of all, hotkeys. F5 to quicksave, M for map, J for quests, C for status. The first Baldur's Gate had figured this out. Second, just merge the inventory and equipment screens like in every other RPG. Why is this so clunky and cumbersome? Third, if you are going to make people painstakingly manually save, at least put in more checkpoints.

There is a quicksave function but I dunno what it is without a controller. On a controller it's just Start to and then Select.

Googling it it seems to be esc->i which is cumbersome, but you could make an AutoHotkey script to do it when you hit f5 :v:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Esc->i->Enter isn't too bad on its own, but combined with all the other things that take several screens for no good reason...

Anyway, I just maxed out my Strider ranks and am about to buy its last augment as suggested by this thread. What do you guys suggest I re-spec in? Preferably something where mobility and ranged combat is still an option, and where the available augments are complemented by my Strider augments.

Same question for my main pawn, she's a mage that is 50/50 buffing and offensive spells. Do I change her vocation (presumably into Sorcerer) or is there a reason I shouldn't?

e: I've decided to go Assassin for my PC, seems to have a good rep.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 22, 2017

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I really love and hate this game at the same time. I gave it another shot yesterday, after an aborted attempt last weekend where I fell of a rooftop after playing for a few hours and had to start all over from the beginning. I tried again yesterday and played for most of the day, then something similar happened where I cleared out the entire Witchwood before accidentally clicking that I wanted to retry from the last checkpoint instead of just retrying, which turned out to be back in Cassardis.

It's a credit to the rest of the game that despite the insanely aggravating console interface which was apparently left untouched for the port, I keep coming back for more. Last night I was so bummed out that I vowed not to touch the game for at least a week, but I'm going to dive back in after posting this. And they did give us 144Hz and I assume a bunch of other graphical improvements, so it wasn't a 100% lazy port.

Not sure which is the biggest annoyance in this game: the lovely menus (you didn't even mention the part where statuses, augments, gear bonuses, raw defenses, etc. aren't reflected there at all so you just kind of have to guess most of the time), or Warrior's inexplicable lack of 6 skills.

Still loving love this game though, and will probably pick it up for xbone since it's never going to be backwards compatible.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kiggles posted:

Temp ban. If the servers detect something fishy about the pawns, they'll be blocked at least temporarily. If their attributes are otherwise valid, they SHOULD turn back up, but I think it's like a 3 month window.

Nope, it's immediate as soon as the pawn is corrected to something recognized as valid. The check for pawn validity in the Void is executed on the client side. The server itself does no checks as far as I can see.

I know this because I tested the triggers for pawn rejection, and crafted a pawn with utterly impossible stats and a pink name that was recognized as valid. They were rented pretty regularly when I was playing the game.

His rented pawns went away forever because they were not attached to someone else's Steam account.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 22, 2017

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Phlegmish posted:

Esc->i->Enter isn't too bad on its own, but combined with all the other things that take several screens for no good reason...

Anyway, I just maxed out my Strider ranks and am about to buy its last augment as suggested by this thread. What do you guys suggest I re-spec in? Preferably something where mobility and ranged combat is still an option, and where the available augments are complemented by my Strider augments.

Same question for my main pawn, she's a mage that is 50/50 buffing and offensive spells. Do I change her vocation (presumably into Sorcerer) or is there a reason I shouldn't?

e: I've decided to go Assassin for my PC, seems to have a good rep.

Assassin has always been my favorite, yeah, but all the yellow classes are mobile-focused with bows and have their own strengths. If you play the game through to the end, you'll have plenty of time to at least try them all out. Ranger is heavily bow-focused and Magick Archer is weird but fun.

As for your pawn, the reason to keep her as a mage is if you like healing spells, which it seems that you don't. Sorcerers can heal things like petrification (VERY USEFUL) but don't have the other plain-jane healing spells at all.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Assassin is pretty good at melee combat, as it turns out. I can just spam Burst Strike and kill most enemies easily. I like this class.

As for my pawn, I did end up speccing her as a Sorcerer. She's okay, but I have my doubts about her inclinations. Right now she's Guardian/Scather, which seems suboptimal. I'd like her to ignore me and engage enemies from a reasonably safe distance. Which inclination combination would you recommend? And how do I go about changing this? In the Knowledge chair, I can only pick between Scather and Mendicant for my secondary inclination. I've found out I can buy inclination elixirs in the Encampment, but I'm not sure exactly how that works.

e: reading around a bit, it seems like Utilitarian/Challenger could be good.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 23, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Utilitarian and Challenger are basically the two best inclinations imo.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

One tip for sorcerer pawns: don't buy the upgraded versions of their spells. They take ages to charge and they'll stop charging if enemies getting close, meaning your sorcerer pawn will get way fewer spells off. The base versions are already powerful enough.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
For magic archer, if you have max fire resist and use immolation, does that reduce the damage you take?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Trick Question posted:

One tip for sorcerer pawns: don't buy the upgraded versions of their spells. They take ages to charge and they'll stop charging if enemies getting close, meaning your sorcerer pawn will get way fewer spells off. The base versions are already powerful enough.

Well, drat. Bit too late for that, nearly all of them are upgraded at this point.

I ended up going for Utilitarian/Challenger/Mitigator. She doesn't seem that much more useful during the trash fights, but she does strike me as more effective during boss fights.

I hope someone sees my pawn with the pro inclinations and decides to hire her, even though I was forced to put her into the bizarrely unbalanced princess dress like all other low to mid-level female mages/sorcerers

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
You're not forced to do anything of the sort. Aside from weapons, the numbers on your equipment don't really do that much. Wear whatever you want and think looks good. If you want to stand out and get your pawn rented, you're better off wearing something "suboptimal" that looks good or funny.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Well, drat. Bit too late for that, nearly all of them are upgraded at this point.

I ended up going for Utilitarian/Challenger/Mitigator. She doesn't seem that much more useful during the trash fights, but she does strike me as more effective during boss fights.

I hope someone sees my pawn with the pro inclinations and decides to hire her, even though I was forced to put her into the bizarrely unbalanced princess dress like all other low to mid-level female mages/sorcerers

Utilitarian is a bit weird where it becomes super useful the more monster knowledge your pawn, and you hired pawns have. Since you got rid of scather your pawn probably stopped trying to climb onto large enemies. That's coded into scather even for magic classes for some reason.

Once I got my ranger pawn set up correctly as a a utilitarian/challenger she would would use 10 fold flurry on golem weak points and just shred through them. That was great since I was playing a magic class.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Noper Q posted:

You're not forced to do anything of the sort. Aside from weapons, the numbers on your equipment don't really do that much. Wear whatever you want and think looks good. If you want to stand out and get your pawn rented, you're better off wearing something "suboptimal" that looks good or funny.

You know what, you're right. I went and bought the Sultry set, plus a bunch of other stuff, which is the best I could find at Madeleine's shop after giving her the Gold Idol. It's still not quite as good as the princess dress, but very close, and at least she's an individual now.

What the gently caress were they thinking, putting in free sets that trivialize half the game equipment-wise?

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Utilitarian is a bit weird where it becomes super useful the more monster knowledge your pawn, and you hired pawns have. Since you got rid of scather your pawn probably stopped trying to climb onto large enemies. That's coded into scather even for magic classes for some reason.

Once I got my ranger pawn set up correctly as a a utilitarian/challenger she would would use 10 fold flurry on golem weak points and just shred through them. That was great since I was playing a magic class.

About bestiaries - is there a way to keep track of what's missing to get the third star? Take goblins, for example. I'm still at two stars, I've killed so many of them in so many different ways, and I don't know if I just haven't killed enough or if there's a technique my party hasn't used yet.

Related, does anyone have a high-level support mage with good bestiary knowledge that I could use? Preferably with High Halidom and High Anodyne enabled. I'd much rather use a goon pawn than switch in a new mage every few levels, I don't care about the XP loss.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

you are never "forced" to use the pretty princess dress. that is a lie you tell yourself to help yourself sleep at night

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Donkringel posted:

For magic archer, if you have max fire resist and use immolation, does that reduce the damage you take?

Resistance makes you immune to burning, but I have no idea if it cancels out Immolation drain. Pls try it and find out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Digirat posted:

you are never "forced" to use the pretty princess dress. that is a lie you tell yourself to help yourself sleep at night

Princess dress is garbage. I never rent pawns that wear them.
I'm so cool.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Digirat posted:

I think if it were rare I'd have no problem making my pawn wear it (ironically of course). As it is, at levels 30-50 it seems like a full third of female pawns are wearing it and it kinds of detracts from the aesthetics of the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

be the change you want to see in the rift

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

What the gently caress were they thinking, putting in free sets that trivialize half the game equipment-wise?
It's actually worse. IIRC running the numbers, upgraded princess dress is surprisingly competitive with bitterblack island gear against late game enemies with high damage because it has percentage reduction (defense is flat reduction).

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 25, 2017

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

You know what, you're right. I went and bought the Sultry set, plus a bunch of other stuff, which is the best I could find at Madeleine's shop after giving her the Gold Idol. It's still not quite as good as the princess dress, but very close, and at least she's an individual now.

To be fair, it was initially a gift for people who already owned the vanilla game and imported their save into Dark Arisen; this used to be the only way to get the Eternal Ferrystone also. But, now it's free for everyone and it's way better than any of the starter stuff besides maybe the Bitterblack also-now-freebies. It's a little unbalancing but all the full-body sets are difficult to upgrade (3-stars for Queen's Outfit needs two King's Bay Leaves) and are outpaced by the late-ish game where you can mix and match the good stuff, so eh. :shrug:

im cute fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 25, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It is in fact impossible for me to upgrade fully since I failed Lost And Found, which locks me out of the part of the Witchwood where you can find the King Bay leaf, which also means several quests in my log are impossible to finish. I was a little miffed when I found out about that. Another reason to ditch the princess dress.

On a more positive note, I got my first three stars in the Bestiary yesterday. I now have three stars in goblins, hobgoblins and bandits. Wolves are next on the list. About the Bestiary - the third and fourth positions, where it still says Unfamiliar foe for me, are types of goblin, right? It seems like I have an awful lot of Unfamiliar foes for having explored most of the map.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Phlegmish posted:

It is in fact impossible for me to upgrade fully since I failed Lost And Found, which locks me out of the part of the Witchwood where you can find the King Bay leaf, which also means several quests in my log are impossible to finish. I was a little miffed when I found out about that. Another reason to ditch the princess dress.

On a more positive note, I got my first three stars in the Bestiary yesterday. I now have three stars in goblins, hobgoblins and bandits. Wolves are next on the list. About the Bestiary - the third and fourth positions, where it still says Unfamiliar foe for me, are types of goblin, right? It seems like I have an awful lot of Unfamiliar foes for having explored most of the map.

There are a lot of enemies locked to the post-game or Bitterblack Island.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is the escape the prison part of Arousing Suspicion bugged or something? The guy just let me walk out right by him.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In a "good game", that might be considered a bug. In dragon's dogma, it's business as usual.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

At one point the duke threw me into the dungeon for attempting to bed his wife, a few hours later I was sauntering through the castle and no one cared, including the duke himself. Dragon's Dogma is a really weird game where obvious things have no consequences, while failing to perform obscure action X might lock you out of an entire quest series.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 25, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
FYI all gear can get dragon-forged upon killing a dragon or wyrm. Bitterblack Isle cursed dragon farm!

And yeah, game is janky.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The duke storyline in particular feels really janky like they finished about half of what they wanted, but like a random selection, not just the first half, then had to slap together a semi-coherent narrative out of bits and pieces.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

If a sequel ever comes out, and it's just the original story line plus all the extra stuff that never made it to the final cut, I would be okay with that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dragons Dogma has a story?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Norns posted:

Yeah and it's insane but in a good way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Norns posted:

A by the numbers thing that goes hilariously insane in the endgame/Bitterblack island.

It was supposed to be even trippier in the original design documents when the moon was a zone. "Moon Goblins ill like fire, Arisen"