Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Ive never seen a whiteboard there. Doesn't mean they dont have them, I just havent seen it. Ive had projectors and such, I just adked gen con and they got it for me, but be aware all of my seminars were covered by gen con (as in I was doing them for them and they covered my badge) so if there were any conference center fees they must have covered them for me. I would ask about it asap, I was talking to Peter Adkison about my tech needs for this years seminar I am giving and it took a couple weeks to get it taken care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Speaking of seminars, Quarex, since I know you'll be there let me know if you have any questions on the event history or general history of Gen Con I can answer through my seminar. I am starting to work on the 90 minute presentation this week so there is plenty of time to cover stuff. Now that the event history project is up, there should be plenty of potential question fodder for people.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Speaking of seminars, Quarex, since I know you'll be there let me know if you have any questions on the event history or general history of Gen Con I can answer through my seminar. I am starting to work on the 90 minute presentation this week so there is plenty of time to cover stuff. Now that the event history project is up, there should be plenty of potential question fodder for people.
Here is my question, WHY CAN I ONLY SEARCH BY TITLE

No if I have any real questions already they would include "will I spoil any of the presentation by obsessively reading everything on this webpage?" and "is the overall gaming cultural shift from wargames -> rpgs -> collectible card games as obvious in the aggregate as it seemed and what other microshifts were there?" but I suspect the latter large question is already the crux of your presentation.

Unrelated I also wonder "will I regret signing up for the 1975 D&D Tournament recreation event since it partially overlaps the Crème de la Crème Auction?" Stupid need to experience history

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Here is my question, WHY CAN I ONLY SEARCH BY TITLE

That is getting taken care of for field specific search, and if you do the all fields search you can also search by, well, all fields.

Dr. Quarex posted:

No if I have any real questions already they would include "will I spoil any of the presentation by obsessively reading everything on this webpage?" and "is the overall gaming cultural shift from wargames -> rpgs -> collectible card games as obvious in the aggregate as it seemed and what other microshifts were there?" but I suspect the latter large question is already the crux of your presentation.

You would probably spoil some bits by reading everything on the web page, but you know you can't wait so just do it! As for your second question there, you can get a preview of that answer here

Dr. Quarex posted:

Unrelated I also wonder "will I regret signing up for the 1975 D&D Tournament recreation event since it partially overlaps the Crème de la Crème Auction?" Stupid need to experience history

This event, right? I played in that at Gary Con this year. It's interesting in a historical sense, but its not really a fun dungeon. Its 1975 style D&D by Rob Kuntz, so be ready for lots of rooms with random crap going on in them that probably offers no benefit to your characters.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
At least it isn't Origins, which has gone to charging $8 for some seminars. Could be worse. So much worse.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Alien Rope Burn posted:

At least it isn't Origins, which has gone to charging $8 for some seminars. Could be worse. So much worse.
Yikes. I was so amazingly distracted this year at Origins that I only looked at the events running for like two hours out of the entire convention, so I missed this.

Also

Why do I do these things
(this can be about anything pictured in my tableau)

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Saturday passes are all sold out.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
If the mob keeps me from getting games I want...:argh:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yikes. I was so amazingly distracted this year at Origins that I only looked at the events running for like two hours out of the entire convention, so I missed this.

Not that there hardly are any seminars, and they're buried in the schedule where you can hardly find them, but yeah, they were $4-$8.

Mind, most of my time was either goons or Smithees, so it worked out, but yeesh.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Anyone have parking tips? Got stuck at an outer ring hotel this year for the first time and the whole Con selling out thing is making me nervous. And I just saw that the Gate 10 deal is also sold out. We should only be driving there and back once a day, so not worried about super accessibility.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

mkultra419 posted:

Anyone have parking tips? Got stuck at an outer ring hotel this year for the first time and the whole Con selling out thing is making me nervous. And I just saw that the Gate 10 deal is also sold out. We should only be driving there and back once a day, so not worried about super accessibility.

http://www.wikihow.com/Parallel-Park

This helped me figure out how to parallel park

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

mkultra419 posted:

Park by the stadium. You can get a weekend pass at most of the lots for $30 or so, which is the cheapest option and it's a 5 minute walk into ICC via the Lucas Oil connector.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'm set for events this year, but I still like trawling through the database and seeing what interesting games are still available. Here's the ones that caught my eye:
  • GUMSHOE: Goonies vs a vampire, maybe!
  • Paranoia 2e: Some sort of crazy Ultraviolet contest from gecon 1990! Literally the only RPG event I’ve ever seen that requires Some Experience! Possible catpiss!
  • Red Markets: Steal Elvis from zombies, capitalist pigdog!
  • Questlandia: be a filthy storygamer! I think it’s a well-regarded system! Maybe! Not my problem!
  • Unknown Armies: Holy gently caress an open UA game goddamnit why do I gotta have a schedule conflict
  • Night’s Black Agents: Vampire on a boat vroom vroom!
  • Luchador: haha, it’s funny because the luchadors are already wearing masks
  • Dramasystem: Escape to Witch Mountain, but backwards and you have to provide your own mediocre child acting.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 27, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haystack posted:

Red Markets: Steal Elvis from zombies, capitalist pigdog!

This is my friend's game. I'm looking forward to playing in it.

EDIT:

I'd totally play in the Unknown Armies game but it's too late in the day on Sunday.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 27, 2017

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Haystack posted:

I'm set for events this year, but I still like trawling through the database and seeing what interesting games are still available. Here's the ones that caught my eye:
  • Red Markets: Steal Elvis from zombies, capitalist pigdog!

Thanks for posting this, snagged a ticket! I just got this system and I'm about to start running a campaign in it so it'll be interesting to play it in a few weeks also.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

This is my friend's game. I'm looking forward to playing in it.

See you there!

Texibus
May 18, 2008
My girlfriend, sister, and her boyfriend all decided they wanted to check out Gencon at the buzzer here. I managed to get them a Friday pass, is there anything on Friday event wise that I should get them into? Not really seeing much. Would appreciate some help though.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Texibus posted:

My girlfriend, sister, and her boyfriend all decided they wanted to check out Gencon at the buzzer here. I managed to get them a Friday pass, is there anything on Friday event wise that I should get them into? Not really seeing much. Would appreciate some help though.
The good news is that all light/non-gamers attending Gen-Con to check it out will be endlessly entertained just by going into the free-with-badge things, like the Exhibition Hall, the Auction, and being able to wander freely and examine the nightmarishly beautiful visions of gameworld on offer anywhere and everywhere.

Also oh the Auction

Have them go to the Auction

DID I MENTION THE AUCTION YET

Important Gen-Con Advice From The Official Forums posted:

(What do you have in your bag at Gen-Con?)

My EDC, flashlight, and knife. I feel pretty darn naked around a large amount of people in a small area and not being armed.
I guess it helps me understand pro-concealed-carry people a little better if there are those who feel threatened by even Gen-Con crowds.

(I bet it would be super-funny to call this person out as needing a "safe space")

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm actually worried about the auction this year just because I have a feeling it is going to be far more crowded than normal this year. I've seen a lot more people on the official forums and facebook group asking about it, and while it on one hand is great that more people are experiencing it I always want everyone to stay away from my sweet gaming dealz!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I'm actually worried about the auction this year just because I have a feeling it is going to be far more crowded than normal this year. I've seen a lot more people on the official forums and facebook group asking about it, and while it on one hand is great that more people are experiencing it I always want everyone to stay away from my sweet gaming dealz!
Well there is one place it is never crowded...on the other side of the Auction tables ;) Actually it can get crowded there too but yeah. I feel you; the Auction was always something to enjoy on its own merits while also relaxing for many years when I went to it, but beginning in the mid-2010s(!) it became more likely that there would not be enough space to casually stretch out and examine your goods while also taking in the bids. Still often fairly empty though.

Also the 2017 edition of "a New York Times bestselling author's Gen-Con tips" is up? Who is this guy? I CANNOT POSSIBLY GOOG AND FIND OUT

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

He has written a great deal of Battletech fiction over the years, maintaining his role as a writer even as Battletech made the rounds to several different companies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaine_Pardoe

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well there is one place it is never crowded...on the other side of the Auction tables ;) Actually it can get crowded there too but yeah. I feel you; the Auction was always something to enjoy on its own merits while also relaxing for many years when I went to it, but beginning in the mid-2010s(!) it became more likely that there would not be enough space to casually stretch out and examine your goods while also taking in the bids. Still often fairly empty though.

Also the 2017 edition of "a New York Times bestselling author's Gen-Con tips" is up? Who is this guy? I CANNOT POSSIBLY GOOG AND FIND OUT

No tip about bring wheelie suitcases. 0/10 would not recommend.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

A bigger auction room would be tops.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, the auction really needs a bigger space at this point, particularly for the store.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, the auction really needs a bigger space at this point, particularly for the store.

Imagine. Being able to walk down aisles, not have stuff piled on top of one another, breathing room, ahhhhh, serenity.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah it makes zero sense that the Auction room has been the same size since it was half the item density. Granted the compression does a great job making it seem like the tightest collection of fabulous goods in the world, which is also nice.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Is anyone interested in goonrushing a ridiculous RPG event with me? Detail here: https://www.gencon.com/events/113285

I was going to be playing in it with St. Gerald and Deviant, but due to unforeseen circumstances like a new L5R tourney block opening up, neither of them can make it. So I have TWO WHOLE TICKETS available for a likely very dumb game. Or three tickets if you want to take mine off my hands as well.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
"Special Category: Gen Con found this event interesting. You might too." :smug:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

mkultra419 posted:

We were in an outer ring last year and there is an underground parking ramp right in front of the convention center, it always had room no matter when we went every day. But it was like $40 a day or something.

This year we will probably just try Lyft/Uber from the hotel. Whichever is cheaper, since they have surge pricing and all that. People that used it last year said it was really cheap and efficient so fingers crossed. I've used Uber in Chicago when it was busy as poo poo and the rides were only like $5 each way.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Philthy posted:

We were in an outer ring last year and there is an underground parking ramp right in front of the convention center, it always had room no matter when we went every day. But it was like $40 a day or something.

This year we will probably just try Lyft/Uber from the hotel. Whichever is cheaper, since they have surge pricing and all that. People that used it last year said it was really cheap and efficient so fingers crossed. I've used Uber in Chicago when it was busy as poo poo and the rides were only like $5 each way.

I used to live 45 mins south of downtown and it was $45 or less to get from downtown to there last year, granted I wasn't leaving until 12 or 1 am.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
A new Gen Con preview podcast is up. Anyone else seen other audio or video cropping up in the wild yet?

http://www.dicetower.com/news/tdt-516-gen-con-2017-preview-jamie-keagy

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Heck yes, anything at all to listen to while trying to will myself into already being on vacation

Edit: That was ... fine. Way too focused on specific games but still nice.

Someone posted on the Facebook group asking a similar question, and it sounds like there are a half-dozen gaming groups who will be doing a Gen-Cast in the next week or so, so I WILL KEEP AN EYE ON THEM

Edit: Haha wait I just realized that could have been you asking. Now I cannot find the post again to check

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 3, 2017

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Well I've pretty much finished my presentation for Gen Con (I can't decide if 75 nearly wordless slides are too many or too few), and now I am just going nuts waiting for Gen Con. At least I'll be at a conference for work all of next week, should make the time seem to go by faster than just being at my desk for another week.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If anyone wants more videos to watch this series from last year has been getting me extra pumped:

day 0: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hNjhDzTjdA
day1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5C3nInErZ4
day2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLVeGXz70lI
day3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcnqUJtVbFY

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

So I'm only spending probably half of the day on Thursday and all of Friday at Gencon. I'm going with friends I haven't seen in years so we are planning on playing games together in the library but I haven't bought tickets for anything else. Is there really a reason to at this point? Even weeks ago, I noticed most of the events (dnd/pathfinder) were full on the days I'm gonna be there. I'm sure that hanging out with friends, looking at the convention and doing night time drinking/socializing will be ample but is there anything that I SHOULD do?

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Do a good walkthrough of the vendor hall and auction room, there's always something interesting to find.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
You definitely don't have to have an event ticket to have a good time. With that much time I would mostly recommend checking out the exhibit hall all of Friday and spend the rest of the time just playing games with your friends.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Walk around the exhibitor hall, and when you feel like talking a break, stop by the auction. That can easily eat up your time and can be surprisingly fun.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I tried to do maximum of two four hour games each day. Any more than that and my brain melts. Even pushing 8 hours of gaming each day is a bit much, but it leaves good gaps to explore the halls and they'll have the stadium to explore this year which is supposed to have cool museum stuff with a lot of donated D&D items. A day and a half you will probably be fine not getting tickets for anything.

A lot of games have walk up game sessions that kick off every hour that don't need tickets and such.

Just wander, stuff face, drink beer, enjoy the downtown area outside of the con. It's a great place to be for a few days. Just ignore the poop stench of the shared sewage.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 4, 2017

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I will literally fill my entire Gen-Con time with Exhibit Hall and Auction if someone does not beg me to do an event with them. It is a beautiful and glorious existence.

Well except this year where I somehow have ~3 events a day titled "Retrospective: (Topic That Interests Me)."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It'll be great to see you this year, Quarex, you were missed last time (albeit with very good reason).

Pricing stuff for the auction is a headache this year, I have a number of books that are ridiculously priced on Amazon / Noble Knight Games / eBay to a level where I would be shocked to see anybody pay for. $50+ for a copy of Hacker? Yeah... sure... :rolleyes:

• Locked thread