Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
From what little I've read it sounds like just an aftermarket radiator usually solves any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

There is a guy who comes out to the local trackdays with the same kit you have...... the car (and he) are stupid loving quick. As in, one of the faster people there in total.

Does he have a diff? Big brakes and diff are on my list for next year probably.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

Does he have a diff? Big brakes and diff are on my list for next year probably.

I don't think so, it lays massive darkies out of every corner. I'll ask next time though

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't think so, it lays massive darkies out of every corner. I'll ask next time though

Cool. I'd like to hear about his setup! I think the car is pretty underrated as a track tool. With some hp, brakes, and suspension I think it could be very fast. I can sort of see a future where I compete in time attack with it in a couple years.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Kiger_Soze posted:

Yeah its been modded. intercooler, intake, downpipe and hybrid turbo upgrade. I probably need to get a conservative tune for long road trips and look into a better radiator and maybe oil cooler.
I got to the side of the road before it boiled over and it cooled down pretty quick. drove home just fine.

think it was just a combination of it being super hot, high altitude and really steep road.

Before throwing in a radiator, how is your ducting situation for the IC? Make sure to force the air from going around the radiator. I don't know if you had to cut or remove stuff when going to a bigger IC but if there are gaps between the IC and the rad on any side, air will take the path of least resistance and you'll get little flow through the radiator.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Larrymer posted:

Are you sure about that? Because without there being some way to stream data to the nav unit (and you'd know because you'd probably be paying for it) I don't see how this is possible. Unless you mean some sort of integration with your phone.

I do have my phone connected, and I also have XM radio. I was surprised myself because I don't have whatever traffic package the car has available. But it definitely said after entering the address that it was updating due to traffic. Who knows. :iiam:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

I do have my phone connected, and I also have XM radio. I was surprised myself because I don't have whatever traffic package the car has available. But it definitely said after entering the address that it was updating due to traffic. Who knows. :iiam:

It's through the satellite radio, siriusXM traffic is awesome.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

xsf421 posted:

It's through the satellite radio, siriusXM traffic is awesome.

That's kind of what I figured was doing it.

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005

Larrymer posted:

Before throwing in a radiator, how is your ducting situation for the IC? Make sure to force the air from going around the radiator. I don't know if you had to cut or remove stuff when going to a bigger IC but if there are gaps between the IC and the rad on any side, air will take the path of least resistance and you'll get little flow through the radiator.

I don't think the aftermarket inter cooler would affect stock airflow over radiator. I didn't have to cut anything and it bolts into stock position. I also haven't had any other problems in the 2.5 years I've had the car and the bigger turbo almost a year.

Replacing the radiator looks like a huge PITA though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGks9I-OsiA

edit. Here you can see just a lovely the stock radiator is. Warning poo poo music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh4Y5f0JjV0&t=140s

Kiger_Soze fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 21, 2017

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Back to the dealer this Thursday. Drivers seat has developed a very annoying creak somewhere around the right thigh bolster. Seems to be a pretty common issue according to a few VW forums.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Kiger_Soze posted:

I don't think the aftermarket inter cooler would affect stock airflow over radiator. I didn't have to cut anything and it bolts into stock position. I also haven't had any other problems in the 2.5 years I've had the car and the bigger turbo almost a year.

Fair enough. On a lot of old turbo cars with tiny side mounts you really have to wedge poo poo in there and there's no ductwork to keep air going where it's supposed to. Sounds like it might just be time for a thicker rad.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Mountune rad is supposedly good. 500 bux though. Fiesta rads are spendy as gently caress.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!
Fun Shoe
Fiesta is apparently kaput in the US as of the 2018 model year. I'll try to get a link on my next break if no one else does.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

fknlo posted:

Fiesta is apparently kaput in the US as of the 2018 model year. I'll try to get a link on my next break if no one else does.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-says-fiesta-wont-return-for-the-2018-model-year-97094.html

That link was posted in my car club last night, but people are saying it might just be during their factory move.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The segment is getting killed and the EcoSport will further cannibalize sales.

I'll be shocked if we get the Fiesta, although they could keep the old one in production in Mexico I think.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
That's kind of strange because when I was shopping last year it seemed like the FoST had big discounts and FiSTs were selling closer to MSRP. It seemed to me from this thread that that trend continued this year as well.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just got back from Italy after not being in Europe for a couple years. For whatever reason, I think the ratio of GTIs to Rs was pretty much 1:1 in the places that we visited. Milan had a ridiculous number of amazing wagons that we will never get here. :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The GTi has a really bad boy-racer rep in most of Europe so if you remotely have the money you step it up to the R, otherwise you buy a high trim Golf TSi.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All three GTI owners I know wear visors.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Meh, the current Subaru following reminds me of the Honda scene circa 2003.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Don't worry Subaru will come up with some new stuff by 2045. Or not, since every company is just killing their hatches and small cars.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Pryor on Fire posted:

Don't worry Subaru will come up with some new stuff by 2045. Or not, since every company is just killing their hatches and small cars. In the US

Ftfy. The ROW still gets cool cars.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Meh, the current Subaru following reminds me of the Honda scene circa 2003.

Don't worry, the VW scene is right there with them and has been since the mk4 you can't beat my chipped 1.8t days at minimum.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

Don't worry, the VW scene is right there with them and has been since the mk4 you can't beat my chipped 1.8t days at minimum.

Yep, the air cooled scene isn't that much better. PATINA PATINA PATINA.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Ftfy. The ROW still gets cool cars.

That's changing quite rapidly as well.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'm just hoping that there are full-electric hot hatches or affordable performance cars before the oceans melt entirely and we all drive speedboats to work.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm an Ohioan. I played with that internet global warming website for near an hour and couldn't get my town a coast. :smith:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I know you guys hate a veloster but they have few places selling turbos new for $16k. Which isn't too bad

About to buy another engine, pistons, and rods to do a built engine and stuff the turbo.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Awesome man. Don't worry about the "hate", just do cool poo poo, post pics, and don't worry about the opinions of a gang of VW golf leasing aesthetes who are terrified of changing a cabin air filter without a dealers permission.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I'll poke fun at velosters all day in the context of hot hatches... But ultimately they're better than any number of awful cars and things on the road so whatever. And yours is going to be a loving hoot so that's just plain awesome.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

PabloBOOM posted:

I'll poke fun at velosters all day in the context of hot hatches... But ultimately they're better than any number of awful cars and things on the road so whatever. And yours is going to be a loving hoot so that's just plain awesome.

Yeah, I'll make fun of velosters any chance I get, but at least you got something interesting, and not another silver/beige camry.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Christobevii3 posted:

About to buy another engine, pistons, and rods to do a built engine and stuff the turbo.

I'm not sure if you just have a crazy love affection for the Veloster or what, and I encourage everyone to do what they love when it comes to their cars but I do want to offer this piece of advice though.

I watched a lot of folks for a lot of years spend (waste) a poo poo ton of money to make their cars something they're not. Old 2GNT Eclipse guys pissing away thousands adding turbo kits to their cars (and the car never acting right ever), when all said and done it would have been way cheaper to just buy an Eclipse with the turbo engine already in it. SRT-4 guys putting thousands, sometimes 10's of thousands into their cars so they could be as fast as a Evo or STI. The list goes on and on.... In almost every case it they would have been better off selling the car and putting the upgrade money towards the car they were chasing.

If this makes you happy and you want to spend your money doing this, more power to you and have fun.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Wait, SRT-4s didn't come with a huge turbo and meth injection stock?! I'm not sure I've ever seen one without...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

PaintVagrant posted:

Wait, SRT-4s didn't come with a huge turbo and meth injection stock?! I'm not sure I've ever seen one without...

This was good for a chuckle. I wonder how many are still on the road. I see a Caliber SRT-4 that's all modded and bodykitted out around where I live once in a while. Poor bastard.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

There's a kid with a Neon SRT4 the next block over, I know because its straight piped and sounds like a high pitched dump truck and not in a good way. I hear him coming and going no matter where I am in the house.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I remember being 16, reading Sports Compact Car, and not understanding why anyone wouldn't buy a cheap car and spend 30k modifying it.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

skipdogg posted:

This was good for a chuckle. I wonder how many are still on the road. I see a Caliber SRT-4 that's all modded and bodykitted out around where I live once in a while. Poor bastard.

One of the shops in Annapolis has 3-4 of them. He loves them. Lemme see if I still have my imgur pics.

E: Just the one. Lost all my phone pics a week ago.

Night Danger Moose fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 26, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

opengl128 posted:

There's a kid with a Neon SRT4 the next block over, I know because its straight piped and sounds like a high pitched dump truck and not in a good way. I hear him coming and going no matter where I am in the house.

IIRC the SRT4 actually lacks mufflers altogether from the factory.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

wolrah posted:

IIRC the SRT4 actually lacks mufflers altogether from the factory.

Yeah but probably has at least a cat and maybe a resonator right? This thing is definitely wide open from the turbo back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a fairly large NEON club in NE Indiana and the head of it has at least six of the drat things. To his credit he has a clean red one with every "stage" Dodge offered and nothing else.

His other ones are all terrible though.