Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

I never knew what rainy season actually was until I moved to Vancouver. And that's coming from a Londoner.

london was really nice. when we were visiting we were like "this would be a great place to live if the dev salaries weren't such poo poo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

cis autodrag posted:

the amount of time i can endure the bay area is entirely contingent upon whether the drought continues or i get to see rain. this constant, weirdly intense sun is depressing me. give me gray skies and raindrops on the window.

alright let me fill you in here. the acute drought mostly ended this past winter. i mean it's not like we're totally cool all good on water forever, but there was a big period of rainfall and you just missed it by a few months. everything has been substantially more green and lush this year than in a few years past.

it doesn't rain a lot in the silly con valley, we're in the rain shadow of the santa cruz mountains. and even so, the clouds and rain are basically confined to the winter months. it is currently the height of summer, so yes you are going to get intense sun. welcome to california :) try going to the forest, or the beach, or basically anywhere but a south bay suburb

if you insist on gray skies you can try sf but it won't be raindrops, it'll be fog

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

qhat posted:

They were serious in the sense that they asked me it several times in different roundabout ways. My guess at the time was they recently hired someone who left after a short time and this time they wanted to make sure that wouldn't happen again, no matter how futile that actually is.
http://www.theonion.com/article/company-flat-out-asks-female-candidate-how-much-mi-50963

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

curufinor posted:

if you want this oneupmanship game, I once saw 50 cm of rain come down in 20 minutes in korea

lol

it flooded the bus i was in

no you didn't. i mean sure your bus maybe flooded but you didn't see 50cm of rain in 20 minutes

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

fart simpson posted:

no you didn't. i mean sure your bus maybe flooded but you didn't see 50cm of rain in 20 minutes

maybe he was in a dip

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

london was really nice. when we were visiting we were like "this would be a great place to live if the dev salaries weren't such poo poo".

Yeah. The rent is completely insane there too. Just moving to the other side of the atlantic to Canada of all places instantly got me a much higher disposable income.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The only real upside of England is that the weather is never consistently too hot or too cold, and there's still plenty of brighter spells in the winter (although still hovering around 0C ofc).

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
are Canadian visas difficult to get for European computer touchers?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Maximum Leader posted:

are Canadian visas difficult to get for European computer touchers?

You can get PR easily with nothing more than a Master's degree and a few years foreign work experience in computer touching. You can also get a working holiday visa for 1-2 years depending on what country you're from. Honestly the biggest challenge is finding a job in Canada when you're not a web "developer". They don't produce important things here.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

from what I've seen a job that would pay 100k usd here in 'merica will pay 70k cad which is equivalent to 55k usd and that's in a big city like vancouver or toronto where the cost of living is super high

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qhat posted:

I never knew what rainy season actually was until I moved to Vancouver. And that's coming from a Londoner.

yeah I spent a year in Portland and now appreciate what a rain season is.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

qirex posted:

from what I've seen a job that would pay 100k usd here in 'merica will pay 70k cad which is equivalent to 55k usd and that's in a big city like vancouver or toronto where the cost of living is super high
yes, also a job that pays 150k in new york pays like 80-90k in london and pretty sure col in london is higher. some places are really poor life choices.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

britain has been really good at making sure filthy computer touchers stay in their place, I looked into it briefly and even senior developers over there are on like 50,000 gbp

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

britain has been really good at making sure filthy commoners stay in their place

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i cant name a single british computer tech company with a gun to my head

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

lmao yeah i can only think of defunct ones like acorn

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Does ARM count?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tigren posted:

Does ARM count?

It uh really ought to. They have the good sense not to be headquartered in London though.

Otherwise it's going to depend on your particular industry. Sophos is reasonably well known in enterprise security/antivirus for example, Imagination are the guys who (currently) own MIPS and used to make Apple's mobile GPUs, etc, etc. Plenty of reasonably large/well-known companies here, just (except ARM) no-one as well known as Apple or Microsoft. Which considering the relative sizes of the UK and the US isn't too surprising.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

Which considering the relative sizes of the UK and the US isn't too surprising.

the u.k. used to be a major center for computing, up there with the east coast and silly con valley. english electric / icl, amstrad, sinclair, etc were all headquartered in the uk.

as with everything else in british industry, it all dried up and blew away in the 1980s

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

banks and financial firms hire a lot of computer touchers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah and they pay crap wages to live in a city that's 20% more expensive than new york

a few years ago I had a recruiter reach out to me for a design position at a bank in london and they seriously offered 38000 gbp as a "competitive salary"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You can get around 60-70k GBP for being a senior dev in the UK, around 50k for being an intermediate. In Vancouver, a senior dev will get between 95k-120k CAD or more which is about the same as London, but the key thing is the cost of living is far lower than London. Still a far cry from the six figure USD you get in Cali, but it's much harder to get a visa to the USA.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the u.k. used to be a major center for computing, up there with the east coast and silly con valley. english electric / icl, amstrad, sinclair, etc were all headquartered in the uk.

as with everything else in british industry, it all dried up and blew away in the 1980s

no it wasn't. they just thought they were because they didn't fully understand how badly America was already beating them

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

never heard of any of these things

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Amstrad and Sinclair made some popular consoles in the 80s (Amstrad CPC and ZX Spectrum)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no they didn't.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shaggar posted:

no they didn't.

I guess the commodore 64 was far more dominant in the USA where it really matters.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

...unless it involved making or selling weapons, especially to horrible people.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

qhat posted:

You can get around 60-70k GBP for being a senior dev in the UK, around 50k for being an intermediate. In Vancouver, a senior dev will get between 95k-120k CAD or more which is about the same as London, but the key thing is the cost of living is far lower than London. Still a far cry from the six figure USD you get in Cali, but it's much harder to get a visa to the USA.

I got the equivalent of 6k gbp/mo in my internship in school lol
It was for a drat rare skill but lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the european computer companies were instrumental in showing the american companies that the best ways to make money were to either avoid selling to consumers [ibm/microsoft] or sell luxury computers [apple]

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a lot of those might end up moving thanks to brexit since the whole reason why many of them are in the uk is to have a physical presence in europe and being able to access the entirety of the eu labor pool

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 25, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

UK was home to more than one non-tiny game studio, e.g. Bullfrog, Lionhead, Rare, 22Cans :lol:, Core, Ocean, Eidos, etc.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

you wouldn't drag me to work into Trump's US for 300k a year

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I would happily let myself get dragged for much less than that

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

qirex posted:

britain has been really good at making sure filthy computer touchers stay in their place, I looked into it briefly and even senior developers over there are on like 50,000 gbp

lol no

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

the amount of time i can endure the bay area is entirely contingent upon whether the drought continues or i get to see rain. this constant, weirdly intense sun is depressing me. give me gray skies and raindrops on the window.

this is a normal summer in a mediterranean climate. it's actually a bit wetter than usual; it took until mid-june to stop raining when usually it's done by mid-april. IIRC the bay area got something like 50% more rain this winter than usual, leading to e.g. a lot of road damage from landslides that's still being fixed

bay area climate is driven by the ability for cold and/or moist air to come off the ocean. if you've got hills blocking that air then it's going to be warmer, and the further inland you go the less effect there is

to give an example of this effect, here's a gearth screenshot looking east into the peninsula from the ocean, looking at the santa cruz mountains along the last leg of hwy 84. the south bay is beyond the hill ridge at the back. a relatively contiguous valley goes from san gregorio via bellvale to la honda, providing a channel for ocean air to reach that area. as a result la honda can be as much as 10-15 degrees cooler than the surrounding area, despite it being around 9 miles from the coast (i.e. further than SF is wide)

if you want cold/damp then check out sf, daly city, or most of the coast. it's typically most cloudy/foggy in the mornings and just before sunset

(illustations are from EBMUD's own gardening book "plants and landscapes for summer-dry climates", which catalogs plants that are fine with not getting any rain half the year)

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 25, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Janitor Prime posted:

never heard of any of these things

exactly the problem. they went from world leaders to non-existent overnight, and now no one realizes the industry ever existed

english electric / icl was the #2 mainframe company behind ibm at one point. they were also the makers of the first "workstation" as we came to know it, the icl perq.

amstrad and sinclair were makers of wildly popular "home computers" and horrendous, no-good home electronics

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 25, 2017

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

remember that euro salaries are post-tax numbers, so if you see something like €4k a month that's your actual take home pay. unlike us salaries where the tax man takes his cut of that big number and your $100k salary only ends up being $50k-$60k in your pocket

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

remember that euro salaries are post-tax numbers, so if you see something like €4k a month that's your actual take home pay. unlike us salaries where the tax man takes his cut of that big number and your $100k salary only ends up being $50k-$60k in your pocket

that may be true for the eu but i am pretty sure it's not the case in the uk

as i understand it advertised salaries are almost always pre-tax, just like they are in the us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Even 6.5 figgies before tax is quite acceptable.

• Locked thread