Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

some loving LIAR posted:

No, the article is just addressed to leftists, making the case that they should also be anti-Putin, because Putin is anti-left. The whole article is fairly milquetoast and unobjectionable in its particulars. It doesn't make any real policy prescriptions beyond (paraphrasing) "find a non-hawkish way to oppose the spread of rightwing ideology". Whether or not there is a way to do this that is not effectively imperialist is left as an exercise for the reader.

Yeah, ask who the audience is.

Is it leftists? Please be cool with the idea of being extremely antagonistic to Russia/Putin.

Is it centrists/libs/whatever? Get a load of these assholes who are "worried" about a "Cold War".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

proud member of the pro-putin left and jared fogel innocence project, reporting in

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
WELP!

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/889854698911649793

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

https://twitter.com/eahlovesu13/status/889854070739152896

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Love my employer being able to track my movements.

Also one of the "perks" of it is that you can but snacks with just a swipe of your hand~ Wow! You're tellin me I don't have to handle cash in exchange for my employer being able to watch me!

Okay that's a bit pessimistic but there are troubling implications to this even if it is voluntary. For me it's either full cyborg augmentations or nothing. None of this RFID in my hand poo poo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Love my employer being able to track my movements.

Also one of the "perks" of it is that you can but snacks with just a swipe of your hand~ Wow! You're tellin me I don't have to handle cash in exchange for my employer being able to watch me!

Okay that's a bit pessimistic but there are troubling implications to this even if it is voluntary. For me it's either full cyborg augmentations or nothing. None of this RFID in my hand poo poo.

It will be "voluntary" before long.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAKb-mnr-KU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

prefect posted:

i come from a southern religious family so its just best that i dont mention this to either one of them because they will lose their loving poo poo

to be honest even im a little bit freaked out by this

all it takes is one step :tinfoil:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Barcodes are the real mark of the devil. This is why I do all my shopping at the farmer's market.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i am ready for the shadowrun future

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Cross posting from the other Best Thread:

quote:

As I was researching for this story, I found a megathread titled “The Piss Tape is Real” deep inside the recesses of the political subsections of Something Awful forums. At some point last week, a user posted, “So guys I filed a trademark application for the phrase ‘the piss tape is real’ and I got a call from some reporter from the verge yesterday. how should I respond.”

“The piss tape is real,” a few users respond, predictably. “Pee on him,” advises another, more creatively.

There’s nothing new about internet shitposting, but there’s something emblematic about finally getting to federally register “The Piss Tape is Real” just as the decency of mainstream political discourse hits absolute bottom — then sinks even further. It’s a path that will inevitably take all of us, mostly figuratively, right into the toilet.
:qq: but the Discourse :qq:

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Imagine thinking your employees will want to be chipped when they're filthy job hopping millenials anyways. Really dumb move!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Serf posted:

i am ready for the shadowrun future

you're in luck, it arrived 17 years ago

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

prefect posted:

Exactly, it'll start off voluntarily and then the company language will become that yes it is voluntarily but we strongly recommend you get it. That is if you want to move up in the company and you really care.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phone posted:

you're in luck, it arrived 17 years ago

nah, if it had i would already have a cool cyberleg and not this crappy poo poo from the 80s i'm stuck with

also i might be an orc

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Race Realists posted:

i come from a southern religious family so its just best that i dont mention this to either one of them because they will lose their loving poo poo

to be honest even im a little bit freaked out by this

all it takes is one step :tinfoil:

The Twitter replies are all batshit

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
is it just the "employer" part that people are upset about because cellphone data tracking is far more invasive and everyone just consents to that so they can play candy crush or whatever

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

little munchkin posted:

is it just the "employer" part that people are upset about because cellphone data tracking is far more invasive and everyone just consents to that so they can play candy crush or whatever

Yeah but I can at least turn my celly off and leave it behind if I need to do a murder or go cruising for a closeted republican senator at a rest stop or w/e.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

little munchkin posted:

Giving your boss more control over you is bad

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

little munchkin posted:

you can leave your cellphone at home without having to use a stanley knife and tweezers

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Yeah but I can at least turn my celly off and leave it behind if I need to do a murder or go cruising for a closeted republican senator at a rest stop or w/e.

eh, the tech getting to the point that they can just predict that stuff based on your travel patterns, web history, text/phone/irl conversations, etc.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/CillizzaCNN/status/889862995840573441

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

little munchkin posted:

eh, the tech getting to the point that they can just predict that stuff based on your travel patterns, web history, text/phone/irl conversations, etc.

Your boss can't leverage that against you

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

gently caress off Chris.

Serf
May 5, 2011

little munchkin posted:

lil fatalistic even for my tastes

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

little munchkin posted:

Verizon isn't going to be able to fire me for spending Saturday nights locked in a glory hole at a sex club though.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Serf posted:

lil fatalistic even for my tastes

that wasn't a joke or sarcasm or whatever. police have been trying to use predictive analytics for years and now with big data + cellphones your life is an open book to corporations and such. eventually those two worlds are going to collide

i mean don't get me wrong embedding a microchip is bad but this poo poo has been going on for years and everyone's been surprisingly cool with it so far

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Employers routinely pull poo poo that would result in riots and revolution if the government did the same thing.

In a similar vein:

https://twitter.com/mccainenl/status/889841481028120576

Serf
May 5, 2011

little munchkin posted:

that wasn't a joke or sarcasm or whatever. police have been trying to use predictive analytics for years and now with big data + cellphones your life is an open book to corporations and such. eventually those two worlds are going to collide

i mean don't get me wrong embedding a microchip is bad but this poo poo has been going on for years and everyone's been surprisingly cool with it so far

the little magic box in your pocket that sells your life out to the corporations isn't quite as meaningful as having a microchip under your skin, so maybe people will react a little more strongly to this

if not, well hopefully we'll nuke the world soon

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Employers routinely pull poo poo that would result in riots and revolution if the government did the same thing.

In a similar vein:

https://twitter.com/mccainenl/status/889841481028120576

IBM had a thing (or it's still on going? dunno) where they told all of their remote employees to find an office or to find another job recently.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

little munchkin posted:

Well, you can buy burner phones but you can't get a burner job.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Cell companies have been able to forcibly turn your phone on without you for a while, haven't they? You gotta take the battery out.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Well, you can buy burner phones but you can't get a burner job.

Cell companies have been able to forcibly turn your phone on without you for a while, haven't they? You gotta take the battery out.

https://youtu.be/m_TFheZvG6k

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Phone posted:

IBM had a thing (or it's still on going? dunno) where they told all of their remote employees to find an office or to find another job recently.

Once again, Corporate choose making their workers suffer over efficiency.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't think many (at least in leftist spaces) think that the RFID thing is literally brand new in concept, it's more an issue that at the very least poo poo like phone tracking can have important uses and is connected to poo poo like 'well you want a map right? Well you need GPS and poo poo then'. Your boss telling you to functionally chip yourself like a dog is pointless other than giving him control over your life in new, unpleasant, ways for no value.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/thyssenkrupp_en/status/889883053069357056

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Thinking about the insane conversation we had earlier about the Chapo's being excluded from the revolution because they make money and it stuck me how goddamned stupid it was on another level. It has a streak of the anti-intellectualism of the Khmer Rouge. I'm not making a direct comparison here but Lenin and Marx were both solidly upper-middle class. Excluding potential class allies because they make a few grand is loving insane a really good way to end up getting hacked to pieces by a teenager in a bandana with a machete.

MikeCrotch posted:

Not just Lenin and Marx, but Mao, Ghandi, Castro, Che, Trotsky, Luxemburg etc. were all middle class to a greater or lesser degree. It's a pretty big part of the study of revolutions - revolutionary leaders tend to be middle class since poorer proletarians tend not to have the degree of education, social connections or money required to start or achieve leadership in revolutionary organisations, but the actual upper class are too invested in the current social order and insulated from the actual bad stuff to care. Obviously there are exceptions but it holds pretty true.

really into these posts comparing chapo with marx, engels, mao, etc.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

yoober posted:

really into these posts comparing chapo with marx, engels, mao, etc.

I think the Marx one is apt, tho.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Describing eurofascist parties like the Front National as 'alt right' is dumb as hell

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

I don't think many (at least in leftist spaces) think that the RFID thing is literally brand new in concept, it's more an issue that at the very least poo poo like phone tracking can have important uses and is connected to poo poo like 'well you want a map right? Well you need GPS and poo poo then'. Your boss telling you to functionally chip yourself like a dog is pointless other than giving him control over your life in new, unpleasant, ways for no value.

whatever apps you use most certainly don't need to know the brands you mention in phone conversations, what route you take through the supermarket, or any of the other things they actually use your data for

the most offensive part to me was the company saying they would reimburse you for the 300$ cost of the surgery, as if paying out of their own pocket was the part people would take issue with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

little munchkin posted:

whatever apps you use most certainly don't need to know the brands you mention in phone conversations, what route you take through the supermarket, or any of the other things they actually use your data for

the most offensive part to me was the company saying they would reimburse you for the 300$ cost of the surgery, as if paying out of their own pocket was the part people would take issue with

Whooooosh