Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Canaan started 2 games in the playoffs!~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

It's kind of funny that at the time it was seen as a massive discount to get Gorgui on that deal and not even a year later it's considered a bit of an overpay by some of the same people.

Dieng had a bit of a step back year too. I think most of the upside is worn down which was done if the value.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You might also say that no one could've seen the drastic and hard shift into small ball for the entire league.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I mean literally last year people were paying ten million plus for backup centers.

Now the funny part is that one year later all those contracts look loving awful. But still. I don't think this is some 'market gradually dried up because of small ball', it was totally a thing last year. Obvs it was extra weird because of the cap spike, but still.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

You might also say that no one could've seen the drastic and hard shift into small ball for the entire league.

All 4 conference finals teams used 2 typical bigs in their starting lineup. Bigs who can shoot are becoming more common, but even the "smallest" teams still use two bigs in the floor more often than not.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/889882781760851969

Lebron James is going to fight Stephen A Smith

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

attackmole posted:

I mean literally last year people were paying ten million plus for backup centers.

Now the funny part is that one year later all those contracts look loving awful. But still. I don't think this is some 'market gradually dried up because of small ball', it was totally a thing last year. Obvs it was extra weird because of the cap spike, but still.

I think people realized learning really quickly that paying a dude 15 million dollars to play 14 minutes a game is really loving stupid

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lockback posted:

All 4 conference finals teams used 2 typical bigs in their starting lineup. Bigs who can shoot are becoming more common, but even the "smallest" teams still use two bigs in the floor more often than not.

Teams start 2 bigs, but their best line-ups involve playing one of their wings at the 4. The only team that was actually better with two bigs were the Cavs and that's because the rest of the roster is nowhere as good as TT and Love.

And even then, there's some data that suggests the Cavs are better without Love if they're playing Irving and vice versa.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Gross

https://twitter.com/josh_tep/status/889877351894581248

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's not some big mystery. Noel is a RFA and I don't think there is anyone left who can attempt to offer what he's looking for. Dallas isn't going to negotiate against themselves since they have the advantage.

Dallas doesn't have to and doesn't want to offer something more than he's worth and Noel has no one left to pump up his price. As a RFA, you either need to grab something extremely early or just be prepared to take the QO

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mean, the Nets being completely unwilling to throw a high offer sheet at Noel is pretty telling. They don't even want to try to pump up his price out of fear they will be stuck with him.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/889877177424064513

Should I be rooting for anyone in particular or are these dudes all the 15th men/camp fodder they look like

I only know the first three and they are guys you would want in practice but not playing in games.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Pels just waived Quinn Cook, which is a shame because he looked competent.

They also waived Axel Toupane, which was good because he looked awful.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Noel just taking the QO might make the most sense for him.

Tae posted:

Teams start 2 bigs, but their best line-ups involve playing one of their wings at the 4. The only team that was actually better with two bigs were the Cavs and that's because the rest of the roster is nowhere as good as TT and Love.

And even then, there's some data that suggests the Cavs are better without Love if they're playing Irving and vice versa.

I just clicked around and it looks like the warriors play small they most, and that's because they have a 7 foot wing and a defender in Iggy that slots in the 4 easily. All that said, they still had 2 bigs on the floor at like a 4:1 ratio.

Spurs rarely played with only 1 big, same with Boston. For your talk of the best lineups not having two bigs, most successful teams don't agree.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, the Nets being completely unwilling to throw a high offer sheet at Noel is pretty telling. They don't even want to try to pump up his price out of fear they will be stuck with him.

Oh I'm not saying he's without his flaws and concerns, just that there is no one even left to throw $20M a year at him so he basically has little ability to negotiate.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Libertine posted:

Are there any recorded cases of social media signals being wrong? I'm not really joking, I'm pretty serious here. It seems like you could basically construct an entire predictive data modeling of what players real internal preferences are in free agency based on what they do on Twitter and Instagram and others. Like a few months ago didn't Gordon Hayward accidentally set his Twitter to green shamrock or something or was that his wife? In any event, it's really hilarious and beat writers should literally just be tracking the multi-variable social media connections of athletes.

Phone posting but off the top of my head Blake Griffin followed a few Celtics on IG this offseason before he scheduled meetings. Maybe he was just that impressed by the pioneer shirts and Blake Griffin museum.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Libertine posted:

Are there any recorded cases of social media signals being wrong? I'm not really joking, I'm pretty serious here. It seems like you could basically construct an entire predictive data modeling of what players real internal preferences are in free agency based on what they do on Twitter and Instagram and others. Like a few months ago didn't Gordon Hayward accidentally set his Twitter to green shamrock or something or was that his wife? In any event, it's really hilarious and beat writers should literally just be tracking the multi-variable social media connections of athletes.

It was his wife posting a picture of their kid in a shamrock outfit.

But in general, yeah, people are unnervingly honest in their social media which is one of the reasons why all the three letter agencies monitor that poo poo so closely.

I hope Melo is gone today I hope I hope

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
If I were Noel I would take the QO and spend $1m on an insurance policy in case I got hurt. He would get paid next summer as a free agent.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

If I were Noel I would take the QO and spend $1m on an insurance policy in case I got hurt. He would get paid next summer as a free agent.

Would he? There was nothing stopping him from getting paid this offseason, so unless he improves a ton I don't see why next year would be much different. If Dallas is really offere 3-4 years at 13-14 million he should probably take it. Teams are going to be under an even worse cap crunch next year.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

Would he? There was nothing stopping him from getting paid this offseason, so unless he improves a ton I don't see why next year would be much different. If Dallas is really offere 3-4 years at 13-14 million he should probably take it. Teams are going to be under an even worse cap crunch next year.

Currently just 11 teams with $15M or more in projected cap space, at least according to Sportrac. That's assuming teams renounce all their cap holds, if they don't there's way fewer.

Some of those are non-starters like Philly, Houston, Suns, Nuggets, too. The market's probably going to be tight until the 15-16 contracts start coming off the books en masse

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Paul Zuvella posted:

Would he? There was nothing stopping him from getting paid this offseason, so unless he improves a ton I don't see why next year would be much different.

Because he wouldn't be a restricted free agent. Not a lot of teams want to negotiate with someone only to have their money tied up for days while the team mulls whether they match or not and end up missing out on other free agents. It's part of the reason players and agents hate RFA, they have little control and their negotiations are automatically hampered unless you are a clear max contract guy

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

morestuff posted:

Currently just 11 teams with $15M or more in projected cap space, at least according to Sportrac. That's assuming teams renounce all their cap holds, if they don't there's way fewer.

Some of those are non-starters like Philly, Houston, Suns, Nuggets, too. The market's probably going to be tight until the 15-16 contracts start coming off the books en masse

Exactly, and I don't think teams are going to be tripping over themselves who can't shoot, and is an above average defender. He Is not some game changer player and, much more importantly, there has been nothing to suggest he can be a big minute center in the league. Dude is 22 and has never played more than 20 minutes a game.

Betting on his skillset magically becoming in vogue next year would be a monumentally stupid plan.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Noel could be interesting on the Nuggets next to Jokic, if not for Paul Millsap signing with the team as a free agent yeah baby go nuggets

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ammanas posted:

The markets nowhere near there for backups, the position has been remarkably denigrated, the top 3 centers in the league are generally not even the most important players on their team

Nikola Jokic. The Nuggets are going to take over the world this year and if you don't consider him a top 3 center you should watch him play!!!!!

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Paul Zuvella posted:

14.5 million a year seems fair for a Center who is extremely limited offensively and doesn't really rebound all that well.

Yea I'm really not sure how its low balling when no one else is willing to pay more. Seems like smart use of money to me as bad as i want him signed and done

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/889916095448133632

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Also

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/889916275580907521

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Figured there'd be a pick involved from the Blazers but it's still probably ok for Brooklyn. They're going to be sort-of kind-of interesting next year

Edit: nevermind, I knew his contract was bad but I forgot how bad

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Don't really understand why the Nets are still trying to take on bad contracts. Sell tickets?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Let's go Nets get out of the top 5 👏👏👏

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Brooklyn got their man I guess?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Doesn't Crabbe have a trade kicker as the cherry on top of that shitcake contract?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

Figured there'd be a pick involved from the Blazers but it's still probably ok for Brooklyn. They're going to be sort-of kind-of interesting next year

Edit: nevermind, I knew his contract was bad but I forgot how bad

Brooklyn was the team that originally tendered that contract

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Lockback posted:

Brooklyn got their man I guess?

https://twitter.com/notgatherer/status/889917223938162688

:thunk:

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Doesn't Crabbe have a trade kicker as the cherry on top of that shitcake contract?

Yes

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
If this is the set up to Ryan Anderson being dumped in Portland, I'm going to have quite a hearty chuckle.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I was promised by some random dude on twitter that Melo would be off my team today. I'm getting impatient over here.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Allen Crabbe was theoretically an NBAer at one point, so reclamation project?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

If this is the set up to Ryan Anderson being dumped in Portland, I'm going to have quite a hearty chuckle.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9zz8tev

It's about to go down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Allen Crabbe was theoretically an NBAer at one point, so reclamation project?

He was an NBAer last year too but nobody noticed because his contract is really bad.

• Locked thread