Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Squeezy Farm posted:

drat I misread that as Freddy Fazbear and got hyped af for a second.

It's so sad that we're at a point where somebody is more excited about a Five Nights at Freddy's reference than a Nightmare on Elm Street reference.

It'd be even sadder if you didn't know who Freddy Krueger was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rocket Pan posted:

An enemies "alertness" of you isn't actually affected by the invisibility sphere. As The Kins states, it affects their aiming offset, and in Doom that's all it's supposed to do.
Hexen altered this behavior so that you are less likely to alert enemies (on sight) based on distance and speed.

Heretic behavior. Hexen doesn't have the shadowsphere.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

King Vidiot posted:

It's so sad that we're at a point where somebody is more excited about a Five Nights at Freddy's reference than a Nightmare on Elm Street reference.

good lord dude

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean, a video game film featuring a primarily-video-game-based character is slightly less of a stretch than a video game film featuring a primarily-film-based one, in my mind, so I'm inclined to let it slide.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
WXR did an interview with American McGee

Speaking of ports, I still wonder why we couldn't have a good Duke port for phones. The phone port history of Duke is just a sad affair.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVNN7NlCPE0

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

King Vidiot posted:

It's 2017, grandpa.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Cat Mattress posted:

Heretic behavior. Hexen doesn't have the shadowsphere.

Aghhhhh, I was thinking of the right game but got the name wrong again. I always get those two names confused.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

RyokoTK posted:

It's 2017, grandpa.

What I'm saying is that the Five Nights franchise is at least 99% poo poo.

NoES is only 85% poo poo.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I found the ready player one red band trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pa6SGYWADU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The movie is going to own.

https://twitter.com/ghostcrabgames/status/889327976155926528

It's legit amazing that his second book is apparently even worse. I could barely get anywhere in Ready Player One.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I hated the classic levels in DO4M because the demon grunts have so much more HP/damage than zombies. They're an incredibly poor stand-in.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah the zombie grunts strike me as more like, revenant scale threats than the original former humans.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

I don't see this mod posted anywhere here; The ZDoom forums (the moderators and developers no-less) reacted by pooping all over the author for the heinous crime of not being able to magically support the latest GZDoom, and as such behavior infuriates me so much (and because it's a really creative mod), I can not possibly ask you to download lilith enough.

Download lilith!

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 25, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Rocket Pan posted:

I don't see this mod posted anywhere here; The ZDoom forums reacted by pooping all over the author for the heinous crime of not being able to magically support the latest GZDoom, and as such behavior infuriates me so much (and because it's a really creative mod), I can not possibly ask you to download lilith enough.

Download lilith!

It gets under my skin when people won't try a mod because it doesn't run in GZDoom or bug the mod author to port the mod to GZDoom. I see it alot with 3DGE mods. Like is it really gonna kill you to have another sourceport on your system, guy?

Enough of my spergish ranting, this looks aces and thanks for the heads up!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Wamdoodle posted:

It gets under my skin when people won't try a mod because it doesn't run in GZDoom or bug the mod author to port the mod to GZDoom. I see it alot with 3DGE mods. Like is it really gonna kill you to have another sourceport on your system, guy?

I don't think your position is any more spergish than people that only use one sourceport (which I am among, I use GZDoom exclusively). I think it's a matter of comfort, though I also think that if you do go exclusive you have to accept that there will be mods that won't run.

I don't know what the gently caress is going on with lilith, but it looks... messy, in a properly designed messy kind of way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I played lilith! It's drat good, and a real trip. The screenshots do a good job of explaining what you're gonna be seeing for most of it but it's a whole different experience in motion.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Morrigan is even cooler than Lilith, her original sprite is in the Guinness Book of World records for being in the most games ever! (I assume, CvS2, MvC2, you name it)

Not to say that lilith thingy there isn't great, I just saw an opportunity to ramble about a drat good sprite. drat good. Also why doesn't Morrigan have a badass action game spinoff? And why didn't that badass Starcraft action/stealth game spinoff happen? Where are all the freakin' spinoffs?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wamdoodle posted:

lilith exploits glitches for aesthetic effects and therefore works only with ZDoom 2.8.1, before the software renderer was largely rewritten, causing most of these glitches to not happen anymore or at least not in the intended way (slowdowns instead of HOMs, this kind of things). For this reason the author put some rudimentary version detector check that prevents playing if it thinks you're using GZDoom, QZDoom, or Zandronum. The ZDoom people are very hostile to this kind of version checks so the thread quickly degenerated.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

Morrigan is even cooler than Lilith, her original sprite is in the Guinness Book of World records for being in the most games ever! (I assume, CvS2, MvC2, you name it)

Not to say that lilith thingy there isn't great, I just saw an opportunity to ramble about a drat good sprite. drat good. Also why doesn't Morrigan have a badass action game spinoff? And why didn't that badass Starcraft action/stealth game spinoff happen? Where are all the freakin' spinoffs?

I love Darkstalkers, I would kill for a spin-off (since I'm so bad at fighting games). Of course, we're never going to see a new Darkstalkers fighting game much less a spin-off, so...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

catlord posted:

I love Darkstalkers, I would kill for a spin-off (since I'm so bad at fighting games). Of course, we're never going to see a new Darkstalkers fighting game much less a spin-off, so...

They own so many beloved characters/IPs, even if Capcom doesn't have the money just license this stuff out to some cool indie teams I say. For the record I think the best game ever would be a Fatal Fury GTA game, running around South Town as Terry or Blue Mary etc, fighting that Geese guy. Like a 3D River City Ransom with some Yakuza aspects in it. Put that on kickstarter, zillion dollars. A Darkstalkers platformer would get seventy zillion dollars.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wamdoodle posted:

Wait, people actually bother to make EDGE/3DGE-only mods? What's it even support to justify that, which GZDoom won't?

I think the last time I even used 3DGE was some sort of old Dreamcast port of it, which actually played better than some of the other Doom on Dreamcast ports.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

How about that Dreamcast Spawn game by Capcom? Wild stuff.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

King Vidiot posted:

What I'm saying is that the Five Nights franchise is at least 99% poo poo.

NoES is only 85% poo poo.

the kids like it and that's all that matters

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Rocket Pan posted:

An enemies "alertness" of you isn't actually affected by the invisibility sphere. As The Kins states, it affects their aiming offset, and in Doom that's all it's supposed to do.
Heretic altered this behavior so that you are less likely to alert enemies (on sight) based on distance and speed.
I sort of figured it was along the lines of a 'probability to hit' kind of thing.

Incidentally, there's a neat detail with the invisibility power up in High Plane Drifter, where Spectres will actually show up as Pinky demons when you have it (instead of just being translucent)

Wamdoodle posted:

I'd be up to trying some other mods only available on other source-ports, but I don't know what those might be. The only other source ports I have aside from GZDoom is ZDoom and Chocolate Doom. I think I tried Zandronum once, but I wasn't able to get the online working.

Heavy Metal posted:

They own so many beloved characters/IPs, even if Capcom doesn't have the money just license this stuff out to some cool indie teams I say. For the record I think the best game ever would be a Fatal Fury GTA game, running around South Town as Terry or Blue Mary etc, fighting that Geese guy. Like a 3D River City Ransom with some Yakuza aspects in it. Put that on kickstarter, zillion dollars. A Darkstalkers platformer would get seventy zillion dollars.

The only thing I can think of that slightly matches that criteria is Final Fight Streetwise, although I don't think that's really considered a good game.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Uncle Kitchener posted:

WXR did an interview with American McGee

Speaking of ports, I still wonder why we couldn't have a good Duke port for phones. The phone port history of Duke is just a sad affair.

Why the gently caress can't I get a console Duke 3d game that has splitscreen? The XBLA ports of Doom 1 and 2 have split screen and it is legit some of the most fun I've had all year.

(And yes, I suppose the 64 title has split screen.)

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

Why the gently caress can't I get a console Duke 3d game that has splitscreen? The XBLA ports of Doom 1 and 2 have split screen and it is legit some of the most fun I've had all year.

(And yes, I suppose the 64 title has split screen.)

Quite simply? Build's sourcecode is a disaster. The entire thing is a hodgepodge of unidentifiable variables and static rules that I'm surprised they could even port it to modern consoles in the first place. Somehow then dividing that into 4 local player instances would be a miracle.

Doom XBLA (which started from the Doom Original Xbox port with Doom3) kind of cheated in that it took all the globals and such and stuffed them into an anonymous class, spawns additional instances of the class for each player and then locally networks them together. It wasn't so much running splitscreen as it was running 4 copies of Doom at once on a single Xbox, using Doom's network stack locally as the intermediate layer between all 4 instances. However Doom's source code made this quite straight forward (and you can even see the results here).

Doom having actual splitscreen is possible (I should know, I made a splitscreen branch to Eternity), so I can't quite figure why they went with that, but then they might have just been largely unfamiliar with the engine and went with the route that seemed the most direct.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 25, 2017

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.

Oh my god I blitzed through Knee Deep and I got treated to the best possible ending song you beautiful wrathful bastard.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Amazing.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Graf Zahl is kind of a piece of poo poo, isn't he?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Actually now that I think about it, doesn't the blur sphere have the corner case effect that enemies won't alert by sight if they're still asleep if you're invisible?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ETPC posted:

He has an extremely short fuse.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

playing lilith is stressful in a way that few other games have managed; i got up to map07 and had to take a break because it's just an intensely overwhelming and draining experience

i love it! play lilith!

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
heads up for y'all who use GOG, the current owners of a lot of interplay IP's are increasing their prices and GOG is having a massive sale before they do

https://www.gog.com/news/special_sale_interplay_staycation

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Currently $3 USD ($4.24 CDN), is DOOM Classic Complete Collection

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Man that Interplay sale is nowhere near as good as last year when the whole catalogue went for 90% off. Picked everything up I didn't already own for about £18!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

fishmech posted:

Wait, people actually bother to make EDGE/3DGE-only mods? What's it even support to justify that, which GZDoom won't?

I think the last time I even used 3DGE was some sort of old Dreamcast port of it, which actually played better than some of the other Doom on Dreamcast ports.

Ok, maybe there aren't that many 3DGE exclusive mods but I was thinking of these:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-it-out-in-doom
http://www.moddb.com/mods/wolfenstein-3dge
http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-forever-3dge-mod
Dark Forces weapon mod:
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=45666&p=968950&hilit=Dark+forces#p968950

Heck Immoral Conduct was an Edge mod.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ETPC posted:

He seems way too tightly wound for for his own good. Couple that with a stereotypically German sense of The Correct Way of Doing Things and sense of humor (i.e., virtually none) and it's fairly predictable what type of things will trigger him.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ETPC posted:

heads up for y'all who use GOG, the current owners of a lot of interplay IP's are increasing their prices and GOG is having a massive sale before they do

https://www.gog.com/news/special_sale_interplay_staycation

Man, gently caress Interplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Rocket Pan posted:

Quite simply? Build's sourcecode is a disaster. The entire thing is a hodgepodge of unidentifiable variables and static rules that I'm surprised they could even port it to modern consoles in the first place. Somehow then dividing that into 4 local player instances would be a miracle.

Doom XBLA (which started from the Doom Original Xbox port with Doom3) kind of cheated in that it took all the globals and such and stuffed them into an anonymous class, spawns additional instances of the class for each player and then locally networks them together. It wasn't so much running splitscreen as it was running 4 copies of Doom at once on a single Xbox, using Doom's network stack locally as the intermediate layer between all 4 instances. However Doom's source code made this quite straight forward (and you can even see the results here).

Doom having actual splitscreen is possible (I should know, I made a splitscreen branch to Eternity), so I can't quite figure why they went with that, but then they might have just been largely unfamiliar with the engine and went with the route that seemed the most direct.

As someone who actually looked into the source code, I can attest to this. Ken Silverman looks more like a mathematician with absolutely terrible programming skills. No commenting, obscure and non-descriptive variables and a lovely coding standard makes things very hard to understand.

He's also been a very lovely person to work with with his lack of people skills. It's fair to say that a guy like would have no place in the industry or he'd be very much a bedroom-engineer type, which he still kind of is.

Sorry for sounding like an rear end in a top hat, but we all know that lacking communication skills has and does hurt everyone involved. Then again, I haven't seen Ken's name on a whole lot else and he seems to keep to himself mostly.

But seriously, don't bother with the original BUILD source unless you have a lot of time to kill.

Rocket Pan posted:

I don't see this mod posted anywhere here; The ZDoom forums (the moderators and developers no-less) reacted by pooping all over the author for the heinous crime of not being able to magically support the latest GZDoom, and as such behavior infuriates me so much (and because it's a really creative mod), I can not possibly ask you to download lilith enough.

Download lilith!

This is my kind of poo poo :allears:

The quit messages are the best but you guys should check it out for yourselves (if you haven't already).