Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So when exactly does McConnell have to say what "the bill" actually is? Presumably in order to do that 20 hours of debating, the senators have to know what it is they're actually debating.

He gave us the schedule this morning. They will first vote on the 2015 repeal, which will likely fail badly. They will then vote on the Cruz amendment, which will also fail badly.

After that, they'll have a series of votes to try to pass something called a "skinny repeal", and its not clear if that has 50 votes. If that fails, then McConnell shrugs his shoulders and probably asks for suggestions or moves on.

If it passes, then the house either has to vote for skinny repeal, or go to conference. If the house is unable or unwilling to pass skinny repeal, then thats a good sign, because conference committee will be a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Reminder: There were morons in this thread talking about how we should have compassion for McCain.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
These are some quality empty platitudes McCain. Almost as empty as your future skull.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

This speech would make a lot more sense if he had just voted "no"

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

I think that was sarcasm

I guess so, but she's not "retarded" anyway, she suffered severe brain damage.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

At least we have this:

https://twitter.com/sethbringman/status/889925351555694593

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pacmania90 posted:

"I like it when people suffer"

Republicans and LeeMajors apparently.

good thing you're here to defend republicans against the horrific attacks of a random poster on an old dead gay comedy forum

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

McCain is such a bloviating piece of poo poo.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

pacmania90 posted:

Yeah, LeeMajors hosed up pretty hard on that one. The entire party deserves brain cancer.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
smh at all you people forgetting that in Old Yeller it was the dying dog shooting the boy don't you remember how things really work

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

McCain is very concerned about the state of the Senate.

If only he could have done something about that in his career

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So when exactly does McConnell have to say what "the bill" actually is? Presumably in order to do that 20 hours of debating, the senators have to know what it is they're actually debating.

At the end of the 20 hours, when a vote is forced? I think the idea here was to get a blind motion to proceed because everyone can still say "repeal is what I want it to be!" Now the idea is a) Yay we got this far! , and b) dare senators to sink repeal for good.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The greatest troll in America.

Post your troll anthems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZxlCJJ3a50

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
McCain finally getting some revenge for not being elected president.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Watch C-SPAN right now and see if you change your mind.

I did, and I didn't. He's awful, but wishing death on political opponents doesn't represent a noble impulse just because they're bad people.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Tir McDohl posted:

Hey remember last month when some of us rightly declared that McCain was a piece of poo poo who did not deserve to live and thread turned on us for our lack of decorum? Where you at now?

Yo.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Man the United States is truly hosed up. I love how Trump, McConnell and their allies always manages the slimmest victory in the end no matter how unlikely it seems just to keep the nightmare going. Can't even say I'm surprised and that it played out in a way that allows Trump to claim credit for influencing Heller which he'll no doubt do so that the bizarre political theater can continue.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

canepazzo posted:

At least the attack ads are easy to write: every single GOP yes was the deciding vote.

If the Dems have even a single ounce of political sense or courage they're going to stomp the GOP so hard the party dies.

Ahahahaha. Look what I just wrote. Laugh at me, for I am The Fool.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Haha

He said it.

"All we've done is get Neil Gorsuch appointed to the supreme court."

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Harrow posted:

What are the chances Trump comes out crowing like the Senate just passed "healthcare" because he has no idea how anything works?

The people in this thread mostly don't know how anything works, so 100%.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Oxxidation posted:

It's MIGF, aka BetterToRuleInHell, aka ISeeCuckedPeople. He doesn't even change his naming scheme, for gently caress's sake.

lol

You think I bought multiple accounts 10 years ago? I've only been lurking in this thread recently, don't bring me into whatever you guys are crying about.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

LET'S REINTRODUCE CIVILITY AND BIPARTISANSHIP, YOU TROLLOPS

e: Him saying the only thing they've gotten done is nominate Gorsuch for some reason makes my blood boil more than anything else

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cspan/status/889924362996002816
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/889927366243491842

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crackbone posted:

Reminder: There were morons in this thread talking about how we should have compassion for McCain.

Maybe you should be more like Bernie and give your enemies a hug.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
And what did the Senate do last year?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Kale posted:

Man the United States is truly hosed up. I love how Trump, McConnell and their allies always manages the slimmest victory in the end no matter how unlikely it seems just to keep the nightmare going.

Winners win and losers lose.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like how Mccain managed to make an otherwise heroic thing like fighting brain cancer at personal risk to yourself to cast an important vote, into a sniveling pathetic cowardly act of a traitor.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/889927489333678080

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
McCain "I will not vote for this bill as it stands today" literally moments after voting to proceed.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Let me translate what McCain is saying right now: "Now now, let's put aside past differences and get along and get on with the business of loving over the American people."

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

huh, McCain is a no on the house bill and probably also 2015 repeal.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

pacmania90 posted:

John McCain literally walked out of a hospital after taking advantage of taxpayer-funded healthcare early so he could move forward with stripping healthcare from the impoverished and disabled.

gently caress him.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
People wonder why I keep saying things will turn out like election night. They say I'm obsessed. And then I see that night repeated over and over again.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
"This bill is an empty shell!"

*votes to proceed*

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kale posted:

Man the United States is truly hosed up. I love how Trump, McConnell and their allies always manages the slimmest victory in the end no matter how unlikely it seems just to keep the nightmare going.

Even if they get a bill out of the senate today the senate and house will have to vote for the real and different bill again in the future. This is nowhere near the end.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

cravius posted:

I too wish physical pain on people who vote on things. I'm glad Gabby Giffords is retarded

It's fair to wish pain or death on a politician who's wishing pain or death on you.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

"LOSER MCCAIN AGREES WITH ME THAT WE SHOULD STOP LISTENING TO #FAKENEWS"

Kale
May 14, 2010

Xombie posted:

The people in this thread mostly don't know how anything works, so 100%.

That is kind of how he works at least even if that's not how the debate is going to work. He cheers every minor legislative or administrative victory or stepping stone no matter how insignificant or part of a long process and any short coming is "Fake News".

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

McCain "I will not vote for this bill as it stands today" literally moments after voting to proceed.

Yeah, it would be pretty weird if he voted for a non-existent bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

paperwind posted:

Let me translate what McCain is saying right now: "Now now, let's put aside past differences and get along and get on with the business of loving over the American people."

What he actually said is he won't vote for the bill as it stands, and that he doesn't think anything will pass, but okay guy.

• Locked thread