Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This Jesse's a stone cold fucker :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Holy loving wow that was a good episode.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I loved it

the awesome fan theory about the old guy was true

Next week the Grail.

Commence to jigglin

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That was some of the fakest looking CG blood I've ever seen in my life, and for what? It would be so easy to shoot that scene with real fake-blood. Nothing happens but some blood drips on the carpet!

Also showing people eating pancakes makes me want pancakes! :argh:

These are my complaints otherwise drat that was cool

E: loving Dick Cheney :lol:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 25, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm not quite settled yet on how I feel about using the comics as diegetic elements in the actual episode, but I think I love it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Data Graham posted:

I'm not quite settled yet on how I feel about using the comics as diegetic elements in the actual episode, but I think I love it

I think it was really tastefully done, mixing the comic in with a bunch of folk tales, book covers, pulp novels, and even children's books :allears:

We'll see if it comes up again. They get away with it here easily since its not Jesse, its the Saint.

Seeing Mullet-Jesse wouldn't work, nor white Tulip.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jesse's a max tier warlock and it rules

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Labes for days posted:

Holy loving wow that was a good episode.

That's all I can say too. Top to bottom loving awesome.

I'm going to be so pissed if this show doesn't get a third season. That was stellar. I'll also stand by what I said earlier, the Saint killing so many characters was absolutely necessary for this to work as well as it did.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well I certainly can't see how pissing off the Saint of Killers could possibly backfire, so it's smooth sailing from here!

:ohdear:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

My Lovely Horse posted:

Ennis' fixation on Ireland, World War II and Vietnam is a lot more powerful than his fixation on rape, if you ask me.

LTTP but

Ennis fixation on Ireland is pretty understandable given, yknow..He's from Ulster. A lot of Preacher is his weird, hosed up love letter to America and the experience of emmigrating there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

So uh... what was the plan at the end there exactly? If the Saint has a soul he'll just suffocate and end up in hell, right?

I thought Jesse was about to tell him to go to hell like Eugene and then decided to drive him to Angelville instead to maybe get his soul back... but... then he just dumps him in the swamp. Is the Saint supposed to still be immortal even with Jesse's soul, I guess?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Zaphod42 posted:

Is the Saint supposed to still be immortal even with Jesse's soul, I guess?

That was my guess: Just lock him away where he can't do any harm and nobody is likely to find him. Jesse didn't dare send him to hell because he probably didn't want to risk even a part of his own soul ending up there.

Not sure how clever it was to lock the Saint away in what is essentially a vault full of liquid souls.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dave Syndrome posted:

That was my guess: Just lock him away where he can't do any harm and nobody is likely to find him. Jesse didn't dare send him to hell because he probably didn't want to risk even a part of his own soul ending up there.

Not sure how clever it was to lock the Saint away in what is essentially a vault full of liquid souls.

Not to mention, if the truck is that strong and carrying that valuable a cargo, it stands to reason it's got all sorts of state of the art satellite tracking that swamp water isn't going to stymie. Coldness aside, it was probably one of the most retarded ways to try and get rid of him, but the quickest way they could write and shoot.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can't help but feel that “Dick Cheney“ is a bit hopelessly out of date, considering.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My Lovely Horse posted:

I can't help but feel that “Dick Cheney“ is a bit hopelessly out of date, considering.

Yes but so would any number of other dated references that you would find in children's literature at the library.

Like the Saint of Killers for example

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Anything that wasn't out of date might cause a kerfuffle. With today's politics I don't blame them playing it safe.

Also gently caress Cheney.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
anybody else catch the nod to se7en in this episode? right down to the cassidy neck stretch

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not to mention, if the truck is that strong and carrying that valuable a cargo, it stands to reason it's got all sorts of state of the art satellite tracking that swamp water isn't going to stymie. Coldness aside, it was probably one of the most retarded ways to try and get rid of him, but the quickest way they could write and shoot.

Now, now, I'm sure a wealthy, technologically cutting edge Japanese crime syndicate is just going to forgive and forget and definitely not go looking for their van full of souls worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

But yeah, between that and hiding the Saint's guns beneath his toilet the writers are basically hanging a flashing red sign up saying "We're putting the Saint out of commission for a few episodes to give the plot some breathing room, but Jessie is an idiot and this is totally gonna come back to bite him in the rear end."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He's a consummate schemer who is able to outwit an actual supernatural being bent on his murder—and at the same time he's so thoughtless that the best idea he has for getting away once he's collared the beast is to padlock the van and kick it into a swamp

E: I honestly thought for a few minutes in there that he would actually manage to engineer a truce with the loving Saint, god drat imagine going off at that angle from the comics' story

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Use Genesis to send the Saint to a thousand years in the future. Or Mars. Or an alternate universe.

You dumb, Jesse.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
This show is really dang good, guys.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It got really dang good. Like all of a sudden.

I mean in retrospect a lot of this season looks a lot better than it did at the time, but really a whole heck of a lot came together all at once.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

AMC has posted a preview trailer for the 2nd half of the season, and the 2nd half looks pretty amazing. Spoilers of course.

http://www.amc.com/shows/preacher/video-extras/season-02/episode-00/preacher-season-2-official-comic-con-trailer

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 26, 2017

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
^ That's a pretty good trailer. Looks like some cool stuff coming up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Klaus Helmut Starr :3:

sounds pretty legit though, actually.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Looks like they've nailed Herr Starr, which is great.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

mallratcal posted:

AMC has posted a preview trailer for the 2nd half of the season, and the 2nd half looks pretty amazing. Spoilers of course.

http://www.amc.com/shows/preacher/video-extras/season-02/episode-00/preacher-season-2-official-comic-con-trailer

Well, I'm sold on Herr Stark completely.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oddly enough, that wasn't the only Dick Cheney reference I saw on TV that day (was finishing up Patriot).

Actually, make that 3 times in less than a week since I was binging Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, too. Weird.

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 26, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Hi, just popping in to say that I enjoyed the last episode and also I want Tulip's entire wardrobe. :allears:

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
man the realization about why cassidy was attracted to this particular house made the tying of shoelaces scene particularly poignant.

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009
I'm interested to know why exactly the Saint wants to enter heaven if that's the case. Does he actually want to reunite with his family, or possibly, wipe heaven out completely if he knows that God is missing? It makes a great excuse for Jessi even with his convictions to not allow it.

Also to the poster that said "send him to mars", going really literal you could imagine the Saint just barging through NASA and making it happen. He then begins shooting at the red surface until it's thrown out of orbit or some poo poo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Tevryr posted:

Also to the poster that said "send him to mars", going really literal you could imagine the Saint just barging through NASA and making it happen. He then begins shooting at the red surface until it's thrown out of orbit or some poo poo.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Teleport him there like you teleported Eugene to Hell", but the visuals on this are far, far better.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tevryr posted:

Not NASA. SpaceX. He wouldn't need oxygen or life support, just a rocket strong enough to get him to Mars and crash land him into it. Pretty sure Elon Musk would play himself.

I am kind of perplexed about why the SoK's bullet stopped in the yogurt, though. Best I can guess is that the bullets keep going until they hit something organic/living that they can kill, hence the yogurt's boiling, killing off all the bacteria inside.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not NASA. SpaceX. He wouldn't need oxygen or life support, just a rocket strong enough to get him to Mars and crash land him into it. Pretty sure Elon Musk would play himself.

I am kind of perplexed about why the SoK's bullet stopped in the yogurt, though. Best I can guess is that the bullets keep going until they hit something organic/living that they can kill, hence the yogurt's boiling, killing off all the bacteria inside.

:aaaaa:

I just thought it stopped there. It was weird that something so soft would finally bring it to a stop.

That wouldn't really work though, because in the first episode one of his bullets was stopped by the car frame. Maybe he was aiming for the car?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For some reason I assumed the bullet killed all the occupants of the other apartments it went through, but we never saw that, did we? And I guess the yoghurt is simply boiling because the bullet is hot.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, as I recall, any wound inflicted by the SoK's Walker Colts is lethal, and the rounds even went through tank armor in the comics, so 1800s masonry should be no problem. The one thing that seems they left out from the comics is that whenever he fires at a target, he hits his mark. Also, and I had to look this one up, they left out the part where if someone other than the SoK lays a hand on the Walkers, they see the 'mutilated spirits of the victims of the SoK.'

I like my "the bullets keep going until they hit something they can kill" (ideally a tree or something) theory. I'm gonna keep it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Also, it was completely unnecessary to steal the van in the first place. Once they drove him back to Dennis's house he could have just let them leave. He didn't even have any of their property since he was using his own soul.

Gonz posted:

Use Genesis to send the Saint to a thousand years in the future. Or Mars. Or an alternate universe.
I wouldn't expect him to be able to do any of that. Other than "go to hell", every command has been something the person has to try to do but not necessarily something they can achieve. Like, if he tells you to flap your arms and fly, you'll try, but you'll fail. If he tells you to go to Mars, you'll attempt it but only in whatever way makes sense to you.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great episode. My guess is this is only temporary because the Saint is locked in there with all the gear - including the soul extractor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I wouldn't expect him to be able to do any of that. Other than "go to hell", every command has been something the person has to try to do but not necessarily something they can achieve. Like, if he tells you to flap your arms and fly, you'll try, but you'll fail. If he tells you to go to Mars, you'll attempt it but only in whatever way makes sense to you.

This reminds me of one of my favorite bits from season one. He uses the Word to tell Cassidy to "sing me some Johnny cash", so Cassidy - who doesn't know any Johnny Cash songs - sings,"♪ Me some Johnny Cash! ♪" :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Y'all quit your bitching yet ? :)

• Locked thread