Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

gradenko_2000 posted:

Has anyone tried Gettysburg: The Tide Turns yet?

It's only like $10, but frankly, after watching the demo, it looked like an okay premise for a simple board game and a stupid one for a video game.

So I didn't pull the trigger despite the ACW being my favorite era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Ultimate General: Civil War is hitting all the right buttons for me now. If anyone has been scared off by the precursor or early access reports, I'd say check it out again. The army management paired with deceptively complex tactical combat is keeping me busy and engaged. I've already restarted the Union campaign twice to work towards better results which is my barometer for how deep the mechanics and decision making can go.

The graphics and UI are way too polished for a grog game though so I dunno.

edit: The tutorial hints are poo poo though so maybe that makes it ok?

RedFlag fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 24, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SpaceRumsfeld/status/889539502246473728

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
BUT WHAT ARE HIS POLITICS?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
War in the West coming to Steam on Aug. 3

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

It's still got an ugly map. And I'll still play it...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Matrix gonna do the thing that they've done for previous titles and give people Steam keys if they purchased previously?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Some of the mod maps for War in the Pacific are astoundingly beautiful, almost works of art.

I think that WITE is just set in a supremely ugly piece of topography (imo), can't really do much to make a big piece of land look appealing without making it 3d or something.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Baloogan posted:

I think that WITE is just set in a supremely ugly piece of topography (imo), can't really do much to make a big piece of land look appealing without making it 3d or something.

I've played Mius Front, it doesn't help.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

no contest imo. not even ~close~

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Compared to WitW

The WitW map is just bland. Some of the WitE maps look pretty good.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't think I could actually play WITP anymore without the Rainy Day map it is such a massive improvement

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Sigh, if I were thinking of getting one of the Combat Mission games with the engine upgrades, what's my pick? Battles for Normandy? Fortress Italy? Red Thunder?
If I'm upgrading engine anyway, does it even matter beyond units and nations? BFN seems to have more expansion content, but I like beating up on weak fools so maybe Fortress Italy is the way to go.

Or, I can just stick with Graviteam Tactics Mius Front. Also an option. I just miss the old CM games, but wanted the updated engine.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 25, 2017

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Unless you really a WW2 era game, you should look into Black Sea. I own Final Blitzkrieg, BoN, and Black Sea, and Black Sea is by far my favorite.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Oh, fascinating. I know WW2 better than the modern era, and I guess I think of CM as a WW2 engine, but...I'm intrigued. Out of curiosity, can you pin down what makes it so much better in your mind?

edit: Watching a LP, I like this - gameplay seems similar, but the modern setting is kind of cool. I suppose I have WW2 covered by Graviteam....nice.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 25, 2017

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Things happen faster, everything is more responsive, C&C is less work, TOWs, there are quite a few interesting scenarios and campaigns, plus it seems to run better (it's a mystery). I think it's their best game to date.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yooper posted:

Compared to WitW

The WitW map is just bland. Some of the WitE maps look pretty good.

Are there... any good mapmods for WITW? Ideally in that Rainy Day In Russia mod style?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if it'd be possible to do a Google Earth projection onto the map. I know someone tried to do that with WITP:AE

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Drone posted:

Are there... any good mapmods for WITW? Ideally in that Rainy Day In Russia mod style?

WitE uses an actual map that's stitched together. So you can take it, open it into photoshop and make it pretty.

WitW uses individual tile effects that are overlaid one on top of the other. On the plus side you can procedurally call the entire map with a small set of art assets. On the downside it would be impossible for the end user to embellish the map.

I can understand from a technical point why they did it, but from a visual point it looks like poop. For a game that's mostly staring at a map, you'd want a really great map.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I should probably play witw again.

Anyone actually won the war in 1944 yet? Or did they patch all the exploits that allowed that out?

Re: combat mission Fortress Italy was my first so I recomened that because it is an interesting setting and the italian army is a fun gimmick.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Anyone know of any good WITE primers and/or tutorials? Preferably not youtube videos.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gewehr 43 posted:

Anyone know of any good WITE primers and/or tutorials? Preferably not youtube videos.

Try mine:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=416086011

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=414743397

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Sweet. Thank you. :)

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Command LIVE #6 released: Pole Positions!

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Can you link me to something that tells me what %s I need to get different effects with the WITE air menu? I know what the buttons do but I'd like to know what the best mixture of setting is.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Yeah. Some people should just keep their loving mouths shut; however, this has me toying with the idea of creating a left leaning gaming website.

If I wasn't poor as gently caress I'd buy the domain and do it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah. Some people should just keep their loving mouths shut; however, this has me toying with the idea of creating a left leaning gaming website.

If I wasn't poor as gently caress I'd buy the domain and do it.

If you're serious, I'll get you a domain.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'll write articles for it

"So much for the tolerant left: The war in Russia 1944"

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Top Ten Greatest Left-flanks in History: you won't believe number 7!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yeah, I'd definitely be in.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
It would be cool to see articles about the actual Red Army compared to games and not just recycled Wehraboo garbage.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
"War does not determine who is right, only who is left."

That's my website contribution, apart from LPs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would have so many words to write about how much easier Deep Battle is in wargaming than Blitzkrieg

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would have so many words to write about how much easier Deep Battle is in wargaming than Blitzkrieg

I would read those words.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Hav posted:

If you're serious, I'll get you a domain.

I'm totally serious with a bunch of caveats really one. I already Facebook posted about it soliciting interest.

This is actually something I tried before (for traditional games), but in that case I merely attempted to make a critical gaming community/website (it's still up but I've done nothing with it in years, and we would probably need a new domain in any case).

Which brings up the caveat, trying to do it alone was overwhelming to me and I that was when I was only a grad student, not a person with a job.

I had a bunch of people who told me they were going to contribute and didn't, or just did one or two things. I really do not want to do that again, because it will just fail.

In other words, I am totally serious about it if I can count on other people to be serious about it. If you have PMs you can PM me and we can talk about it more. I don't want to derail the entire grog thread, especially when it's quite likely that some of the people here either don't care enough about "politics" to want to read it, or do not share in our political leanings.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

ZombieLenin posted:

Uh, you mean like Waypoint?

But for real though I'm intrigued by the idea of one that is explicitly leftist rather than just leftist by virtue of being coincidentally staffed only by leftists. Domains can be pretty cheap too if you find the right name. A lot of whether the thing will sink or swim, besides good and regular content, is going to be in the careful marketing of it.

I can present an LGBT perspective if you'd like... I feel like that's completely absent in this genre.

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 27, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
COOL CORN and I will cover the boardgaming section. I will also help with grog-lite stuff.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I can contribute rants about how lovely this genre is.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Drone posted:

Uh, you mean like Waypoint?

But for real though I'm intrigued by the idea of one that is explicitly leftist rather than just leftist by virtue of being coincidentally staffed only by leftists. Domains can be pretty cheap too if you find the right name. A lot of whether the thing will sink or swim, besides good and regular content, is going to be in the careful marketing of it.

I can present an LGBT perspective if you'd like... I feel like that's completely absent in this genre.

It is completely absent, you're right. And of course! PM me if you can, so we can chat.

Again, having done something like this in the past the biggest issue I had was people falling through when it came time to do anything other than provide moral support.

When it was just me it was too much to provide all of the content on a regular basis.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

COOL CORN and I will cover the boardgaming section. I will also help with grog-lite stuff.
Wow dude not cool