Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sinteres posted:

If you think any of the screeching weirdos in this thread has any of the artistic or cultural value of Hunter S Thompson, you're more delusional than I thought.

Artist and cultural value doesn't matter to you, remember, real adults don't say nasty things about politicians ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

And what about the americans who already don't have access to healthcare you loving retard

This bill doesn't have anything to do with that, so blame Obama I guess? Don't know how that's relevant.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I thought this was Bob Dole's thing

Dole had a thing about his right hand, I believe, where he couldn't use it fully so he always held a pen. I know both of his hands were messed up but just one was practically useless.

e: his entire right arm was hosed from WW2

cochise fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 25, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/889932409055191042

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

people are dying gently caress the discourse you sack of poo poo

Hi, as some one who's family and friends are very directly affected by decisions such as these, fantasizing about how bad you want McCain's death to be is literally the same as some one fantasizing about the day some burglar busts into their home and they can murder them real manly and masculine like. It's actually a little aggravating to watch people pretend that this kind of mental J/O sesh is in fact real good and cool and great, especially since you fuckers haven't even bought a patented J/O crystal so your super cool torture energy isn't going to get stored anywhere. Can't hamon on an empty J/O crystal my bud.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

evilweasel posted:

what specific part of the contents do you disagree with

the lack of full communism now

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Sinteres posted:

The bill hasn't even passed.

"He hasn't even pulled the trigger yet, what's the big deal," asks man currently being held at gunpoint.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

evilweasel posted:

the 2015 repeal, which will fail due to moderate opposition

The same moderates that okay with hearing it in a debate?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I'm really enjoying the Trump/Sessions thing, and I hope Trump keeps it up. Sessions is the most despicable person in the federal government and he deserves all of this

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/889932309339803648

I got nothing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hoping that someone dies horribly of cancer while begging for healthcare for all is pretty hosed up hth

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TGLT posted:

Hi, as some one who's family and friends are very directly affected by decisions such as these, fantasizing about how bad you want McCain's death to be is literally the same as some one fantasizing about the day some burglar busts into their home and they can murder them real manly and masculine like. It's actually a little aggravating to watch people pretend that this kind of mental J/O sesh is in fact real good and cool and great, especially since you fuckers haven't even bought a patented J/O crystal so your super cool torture energy isn't going to get stored anywhere. Can't hamon on an empty J/O crystal my bud.
mccain and the republican party have been jacking off about killing your family and friends all manly like. like literally every republican senator has said 'when i was 16 i got off to taking away healthcare'

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

TGLT posted:

Rule 1 of JO club is to not tell other people about it dipshit

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Harrow posted:

I think it might be worth noting that this is a "motion to proceed" and that a yes vote on it does not necessarily equal a yes vote on the bill, just as a no vote doesn't necessarily equal a no vote on the bill. McCain is still completely devoid of any principles whatsoever, but this statement isn't incongruous with his vote. He's indicating that he thinks this bill could be turned into something he would vote for, and that the motion to proceed means that the process to do that can begin.

Again: anyone who voted yes on this is still an evil piece of poo poo. There are a ton of reasons why voting for the MTP was a terrible thing. But don't act like they just passed a bill.

Xombie posted:

It's almost like

those are two different things

and this is just a procedural vote with a bunch of drama attached because of Trump

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Eh, proceeding is just that for McCain, it doesn't conflict with the actual for a cobbled together bill.

https://twitter.com/JWGOP/status/889846019000680448

with only 20 hours for debate and no word on what the bill even is you're stupid as gently caress if you believe today's MTP wasn't the important part

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cabbit posted:

"He hasn't even pulled the trigger yet, what's the big deal," asks man currently being held at gunpoint.

I'll be fine, but thanks for your concern. I want the bill to fail too, and hope it does, but collapsing into self-insert Death Note fanfiction every step of the way isn't doing any good.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cabbit posted:

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Sorry, sorry, sorry. I actually just want the entire Republican party to be lined up against a wall. I guess Collins and Murkowski can testify against them and live in exile.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'i want you to die'
'i want *you* to die'
'that second person is really hosed up, why would they say something like that!?'

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kawasaki Nun posted:

So we are officially seeing Trump's turn to the right, as opposed to center, in real time right now huh? Seems like we are in a more dangerous position now than at any point prior.

Has anything he's actually done been considered moderate/centrist though? Sure he spouted some rhetoric that sounded moderate/centrist but that's all it was.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I don't speak ill of the dead, so I need to get all my attacks on McCain out of my system now

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Crabtree posted:

The same moderates that okay with hearing it in a debate?

yes, those ones, along with collins and murkowski

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/fart/status/889926257764429824

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hoping that someone dies horribly of cancer while begging for healthcare for all is pretty hosed up hth

Hoping the King dies horribly of cancer while begging for freedom for all is pretty hosed up.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

with only 20 hours for debate and no word on what the bill even is you're stupid as gently caress if you believe today's MTP wasn't the important part

it was important

the end vote is still more important

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Keep telling me how I'm the deluded sadbrain for thinking this thing has a good chance of becoming law.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

Has anything he's actually done been considered moderate/centrist though? Sure he spouted some rhetoric that sounded moderate/centrist but that's all it was.
Not killing every Muslim the moment he became President shows he's a moderate!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Oh my.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I think we're not going to see decency make a comeback any time soon. Can't I hate McCain and not want him to die at the same time? What is to be done with those that cross the line and actually advocate for his demise? I have a feeling the same people that cheer his death are the same as the full communism now crowd, at least a heavy overlap.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I don't wish death on John McCain, but I am ambivalent about him being frozen as some kind of effigy in stone like the trolls from David The Gnome.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

Better Deal is catchy. Tax credits and skills training isn't going to do poo poo in an economy that isn't strained for hiring, but wages. Also keep throwing around insults as if you have any commendable respect to do so.

Oh word?

Chuck Schumer's take:

quote:

First, we’re going to increase people’s pay. Second, we’re going to reduce their everyday expenses. And third, we’re going to provide workers with the tools they need for the 21st-century economy...

Points discussed thus far:
- Reinvigorating antitrust
- Drug price negotiation
- Job-training tied tax-credits
- Infrastructure investment

What exactly are you looking for? I read a WaPo editorial which basically criticized the plan for not being 'bold' and 'flashy' enough, whatever the hell that means. Infrastructure and antitrust aren't bold or flashy. Also :lol: at your last sentence - as if being a condescending rear end was a right unto only yourself.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So the motion to proceed passed purely because McCain, the "moderate" "maverick" Republican, decided to drag himself out of his hospital bed while suffering terminal cancer purely in order to destroy what little healthcare system the US has. He knows full well that it's wrong, he doesn't have to care about money or re-election, and the bill is widely loathed so he sure as hell isn't doing it for his legacy. As far as I can tell, he just genuinely wants to do as much harm as possible.

It's starting to feel like the reason Republicans keep surprising me is that on some level, I model them as fellow human beings with souls.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Endorph posted:

mccain and the republican party have been jacking off about killing your family and friends all manly like. like literally every republican senator has said 'when i was 16 i got off to taking away healthcare'

Oh I know, I get the sentiment, and I don't give a gently caress about decorum, but god drat people gotta learn to take breath and get their bearings.

supergayboy posted:

Rule 1 of JO club is to not tell other people about it dipshit

I'm a J/O maverick, you can't stop me.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
So skinny repeal is the only realistic way they can pass anything?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Petr posted:

Keep telling me how I'm the deluded sadbrain for thinking this thing has a good chance of becoming law.

Well, for one "this thing" doesn't exist right now. We don't even know for sure what McConnell thinks he can pass.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Petr posted:

It does, but it's not in the bag. Wait and see, or call your senator.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Petr posted:

Sorry sweetie, even if this becomes law it doesn't stop you from still being a deluded sadbrain.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sinteres posted:

I'll be fine, but thanks for your concern. I want the bill to fail too, and hope it does, but collapsing into self-insert Death Note fanfiction every step of the way isn't doing any good.

You weirdly white knighting the republican party and trying to suppress people who are getting nervous is helping a ton though! Good job, A+!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Javes posted:

So skinny repeal is the only realistic way they can pass anything?

they don't really expect to even pass that, just use that to keep the repeal ball in the air and get one last swing at a bill

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

"president trump, how long can you keep torturing jeff sessions?"
"that's what i'm trying to find out, obviously"

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/889927389752545285

What an utterly contemptible man.

I mean don't get me wrong Sessions has built up enough karma that he deserves every bit of this hell, but drat is this disgusting behavior by Trump. He's a torturer who does it only because he loves to hear them begging, or a sociopathic teenager mutilating squirrels and rabbits for their amusement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Sorry sweetie, even if this becomes law it doesn't stop you from still being a deluded sadbrain.

actually if this becomes law it makes great strides in helping you stay a deluded sadbrain

• Locked thread