Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Habibi posted:

Anyway, I'll take a flyer on Kyle Okposo. He's had injury and illness issues lately, but if he's healthy I can rely on him for 20g/50p at a minimum.

Okposo seems like such a risk. He was in the ICU a few months back, you don't end up there on a whim. His concussion issues were severe enough that he required full time hospital care, that's not something you bounce back from easily. I find it hard to believe he'll play next year, let alone be a meaningful contributor. He claims to be healthy, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I was gonna pick Okposo and I was thinking it'd be a steal but I completely forgot that he basically died last year like THinkTank said. So thanks for picking him up.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

ThinkTank posted:

Okposo seems like such a risk. He was in the ICU a few months back, you don't end up there on a whim. His concussion issues were severe enough that he required full time hospital care, that's not something you bounce back from easily. I find it hard to believe he'll play next year, let alone be a meaningful contributor. He claims to be healthy, but I'll believe it when I see it.

An article came out yesterday saying he's healthy and has been playing in a summer league, so we'll see.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Minnesota Wild select Dylan Strome

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I feel like we might be overvaluing youth and budget a bit much in this draft.

Proof of which is I just got Joe Thornton, still an extremely good player, in the 8th round.

Ovechkin - Thornton - Pavelski
? - Hertl - ?
? - Keller - ?

Rielly - Muzzin

Allen

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

ThinkTank posted:

This is all true, but recent reports suggest that, in the spirit of Monty Python, he's feeling much better. I'm not too worried. Probably because I'm not Kyle Okposo.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Habibi posted:

This is all true, but recent reports suggest that, in the spirit of Monty Python, he's feeling much better. I'm not too worried. Probably because I'm not Kyle Okposo.

Knowing what we know now about concussions and CTE, no self-respecting physician bound by the Hippocratic oath and AMA code of ethics would clear a man for physical contact in a professional sports league six months after they were in critical care for head trauma.

But this is the NHL so he'll be playing 22 minutes a night come October 10th.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Yaya posted:

Proof of which is I just got Joe Thornton, still an extremely good player, in the 8th round.

? - Hertl - ?
? - Keller - ?

Rielly - Muzzin

Allen

Hes a great player

Not 8 million dollar great though.

Then again im paying for seabrook so :smith:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

ThinkTank posted:

Knowing what we know now about concussions and CTE, no self-respecting physician bound by the Hippocratic oath and AMA code of ethics would clear a man for physical contact in a professional sports league six months after they were in critical care for head trauma.

But this is the NHL so he'll be playing 22 minutes a night come October 10th.

As I understand it, the critical care was the result of an adverse reaction to medication. I look forward to him scoring many points for the Anaheim Ducks.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Yaya posted:

? - Hertl - ?
? - Keller - ?

Rielly - Muzzin

Allen

noooo I was gonna take him and gently caress my budget anyway

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Btw, JoelJoel is up and I think has until 5:17 to pick.

Misters Johnathan Fisk and Ginette Reno to follow.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Gimme Mike Green.

He's 31. So, no peach but he's got a few good years left. Even as he gets older and slows down he can still QB the PP and sock dingers. He continues the theme of offense first (and relying on BOB a lot). His shooting percentage was high last year, but I think it's reasonable to expect ~10g and ~25a from his for a few more seasons. Few younger guys floating around still, but he's the best overall d-man available rn.

Flo: ✓

Benn - Zbad -
- Nylander -
- Brassard -

De Haan - Green
- Ghost

Bob

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jonathan Fisk
Ginette Reno
Furnaceface

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'll take Martin Hanzal as my 3C

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh man oh man my next pick is going to be awesome as long as Ginette Reno doesnt ruin it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'll take Colin Miller and hope his outrageously good fancy stats are a product of him more than being on a strong possession team like Boston.

e:

Guentzel-Giroux-Rakell
Horvat-Silfverberg

Pietrangelo-Miller

Price

^ ....Maybe better than the actual Habs I guess? lol

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 25, 2017

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

I'll take Colin Miller and hope his outrageously good fancy stats are a product of him more than being on a strong possession team like Boston.

drat, I was hoping people would forget about him because he was on Vegas and I could snag him later.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yesssss

Rangers are happy to pick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLTuggsNZPw

Jason "Giggles" Spezza

Hes old and injury prone but I dont care because he can still put up points on lovely teams like Dallas so theres no way his career would fall off a cliff once arriving in New York.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

Hes old and injury prone but I dont care because he can still put up points on lovely teams like Dallas so theres no way his career would fall off a cliff once arriving in New York.

How many times did Neil Smith say that in the 90's?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
noooo not spezza

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Furnaceface posted:

Yesssss

Rangers are happy to pick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLTuggsNZPw

Jason "Giggles" Spezza

dang, I was thinking of taking him next.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

How many times did Neil Smith say that in the 90's?

:thejoke:

corn on the cop posted:

noooo not spezza

I think everyone forgot Dallas even still exists since only 2 players from that team have even been picked.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Actually,

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Furnaceface posted:

lovely team like Dallas

Wrong

Furnaceface posted:

I think everyone forgot Dallas even still exists since only 2 players from that team have even been picked.

Wrong

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Ginette Reno posted:

e:

Guentzel-Giroux-Rakell
Horvat-Silfverberg

Pietrangelo-Miller

Price

^ ....Maybe better than the actual Habs I guess? lol

yeah i was trying to decide between miller and marchessault and figured marchessault was more likely to be nabbed this round

in conclusion, gently caress you

Yaya posted:

? - Hertl - ?
? - Keller - ?

Rielly - Muzzin

Allen

hes still literally a first line centre which is hilariously good value at this point no matter what he costs

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

He is very good and the numbers are no fluke. He's an excellent skater, great at keeping the puck in the offensive zone, joining in the attack/going for rebounds, and he has a cannon of a shot. It pisses me off that they didn't protect him, but oh well.

He's not great defensively though. He kind of concedes a lot of ground and waits until the last second to block the shot with his body or put a body on the attacking player. It's not the most fun to watch since you feel like he's not really doing anything and he's been embarrassed by taking this approach more than once. I feel fairly comfortable saying he'd be a 3, 4, or 5 at worst on most teams.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Near I can tell Jordan has another 10 minutes or so and is up at 7:32 and then it's me and ThinkTank up to bat.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
ya its your turn now

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I'm going to go for some veteran leadership and handsomeness with Henrik Zetterberg. He's 36 and has 4 years left on his deal but he's owed basically no money after this year and had 68 points last year on that shambles of a Detroit team. Since ya'll picked about 1000 centers while I shored up my defense I'll take the old man for 2nd line duties.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
gently caress you so hard

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Goddamn Zetterberg 3rd line center with top PP minutes would've been the raddest poo poo

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Technetium posted:

I'm going to go for some veteran leadership and handsomeness with Henrik Zetterberg. He's 36 and has 4 years left on his deal but he's owed basically no money after this year and had 68 points last year on that shambles of a Detroit team. Since ya'll picked about 1000 centers while I shored up my defense I'll take the old man for 2nd line duties.

Good pick with the fact that all of the other oldies are going. I would've picked him myself had he reached me.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Some people here are going to need to eat some bad players/contracts to reach the cap floor at the pace were going. Which I think was reverse from last year where a bunch had to pick some really odd tiny contracts in order to stay under?

e: I had a real hard time deciding between Zetterberg and Spezza, ended up going with the younger of the two. Wouldnt regret either pick this far down the line.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am taking Brandon Carlo. Maybe he's a product of his partner, but given his age and performance last year I'm willing to take the chance.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Josh Anderson

Jamwad you're up

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jordan7hm posted:

I am taking Brandon Carlo. Maybe he's a product of his partner, but given his age and performance last year I'm willing to take the chance.

Carlo being on the pairing he is is definitely a boost, but you don't see many teenagers stick on a NHL roster for a full season, much less on the top pairing. I was going to go three Bruins picks in a row and take him but now I have to come up with something else.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

BTW someone broke the picks by position page and I don't know how to fix it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Carlo being on the pairing he is is definitely a boost, but you don't see many teenagers stick on a NHL roster for a full season, much less on the top pairing. I was going to go three Bruins picks in a row and take him but now I have to come up with something else.

Yeah that's basically my thinking. Even if he was carried by Chara he still had decent numbers in 1400 minutes as a teenager, and there aren't a lot of D you can say that about.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Very solid pick. Thank you for picking him because I really did not need another RD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I am going to select Pavel Buchnevich. Maybe a bit of a gamble but in my fantasy world I wouldn't bench him or only give him 8 minutes a game, that's for sure. I think he'd pair well with a creative playmaker like Krejci too. One of the things people seem to like to say is that he put up comparable numbers in the KHL, at the same age, as guys who have gone much earlier (Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Panarin) so the talent is there, he's just not getting the opportunities for whatever reason. Maybe a Rangers fan can say more about it.

Skinner-Scheifele-Aho
TBD-Krejci-Buchnevich

Fowler-McAvoy

Gibson

Edit: PS look how fun my theoretical 2019-20 off-season is going to be
UFA: Skinner
RFA: Aho, Buchnevich, McAvoy, Gibson

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 26, 2017

• Locked thread