Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Is offline reading a feature (that I can't find)?

I wanna catch up on some threads on a plane this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

arbybaconator posted:

Is offline reading a feature (that I can't find)?

I wanna catch up on some threads on a plane this evening.

The closest you can get is loading up several pages of a thread in advance before you board the plane. The caching works for most things except embedded tweets and maybe animated gifs.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I logged out today to try to fix this phantom sticky thread that still thought it was sticky even though it wasn't, and now no thread tags show up when I try to filter by thread tag.

Awful 7.25, iPhone 9.3.5

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Does the app fetch smilies from the forums or are they included in the app?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

They're included in the keyboard but downloaded from the site when embedded in posts. So there are definitely emotes that you can't type because they got the app rejected.

Thread tags I'm not sure what's going on--those are actually downloaded from GitHub and saved by the app so I don't know why they aren't showing up. I'll have to play with things, but I'm also in the middle of chasing down some bugs that'll show up on iOS 11.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
The notification for PM's sticks around after you've read all the PM's

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Crime on a Dime posted:

It'll clear on its own after a few minutes. I think maybe the app only refreshes that notification intermittently?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Why doesn't the iOS version have the option to completely hide someone's posts that you've ignored, and also a way to ignore them without going onto the actual website(unless I'm missing something)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Because it's on the list but we haven't gotten to it yet (the list is large)

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

jivjov posted:

It'll clear on its own after a few minutes. I think maybe the app only refreshes that notification intermittently?

Nope, alas the badge number sticks around for days for me, across devices. In this case it is still there

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Crime on a Dime posted:

Nope, alas the badge number sticks around for days for me, across devices. In this case it is still there

Huh, how odd. Yeah, I noticed the PM badge on mine lingering, but it always clears up in a half hour or less.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

GutBomb posted:

You have to pick a thread tag. In the non dark theme the left part of the subject line is more obvious that a thread tag hasn't been selected. Tap in that area and pick a thread tag.

I fixed this so now that image should be a visible color in any theme.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hey what's the deal with thread icons? Do you prefer pull requests on the icon repo or what? It's just the one but, y'know

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

carry on then posted:

Because it's on the list but we haven't gotten to it yet (the list is large)

Was just curious if it was in the pipeline or not

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Hey what's the deal with thread icons? Do you prefer pull requests on the icon repo or what? It's just the one but, y'know

I think anything goes as long as you don't goatse everyone :)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bob NewSCART posted:

Was just curious if it was in the pipeline or not

Ya sorry to be so indecisive, I'm kind of waiting to be done with beta stuff before trying to tackle more medium size features, but anyone else is welcome to take a swing at it!

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Can't seem to filter by tag...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Crime on a Dime posted:

Can't seem to filter by tag...

Any forum or specific ones?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Having an issue where twitter links open in safari instead of the twitter app. I have Chrome selected as my browser for links. I have it set to open twitter in the twitter app, but deselecting it opens the links in Chrome instead of Safari. This is on an iPad with 10.3.3. I've only noticed Twitter posts opening in Safari instead of Twitter/Chrome.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Just a heads up, sometime in the next arbitrary time period I'm gonna make a huge pile of GitHub issues for things and ditch my disgusting TODO file. If you do not want or are not currently filtering GitHub notifications and you are watching the repo, this is your opportunity to avoid some emails.

CaptainCrunch posted:

2) I did skim the thread, but I didn't see a relevant issue (or if I did I didn't recognize it). For the last couple months, can't pin down exactly when it started but it continues today after updating to the latest version, clicking youtube links open in safari. Even if I long press and use the "Open in YouTube" popup button. Not a huuuugggee issue but sometimes It leads to me having a ton of tabs open.

Will take a look-see!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm not sure if this is app or SA related, but I'm seeing HTML in the lepers colony. That's been going on since the last Awful patch.

That's so you can use the HTML parser in your head to render rich text.

I'll swap it out.

Zesty posted:

Is adding the ignore feature to the app something you guys are willing/able to do? I would appreciate that feature.

It is most definitely on the list. It is in fact number two on my list of new features to add, though how that list is sorted I have no idea. I'll +1 it for ya.

Caithness posted:

Images don't seem to be displaying in the lepers colony. Is that new in 3.25?

Nope, it's only ever been plain text. I'll +1 my "make lepers colony fancy" list item though.

Red_Fred posted:

I've done double posts a couple times now where I lose connection while posting, get an error, assume it hasn't posted and post again but then find I've double posted. The error said something about an image. Is this a known issue?

I've heard of getting an image upload failed error when the post attempt times out, even when there's no image involved. Sounds related. Depending on the error though there's a decent chance the app won't know whether the post succeeded, so I don't know if we can cure the double posts. The error message could certainly be better.

obstipator posted:

hello forum,

I am the OP of a thread. Is there a way to close it through the awful app?

thank you

Nope, but it's now got +1 entry on the list!

carry on then posted:

Hey pokeyman/contributors, I'm thinking about opening some of these new feature requests as Issues instead of/in addition to putting it on the big list. Any objections?

Nope. I'll make issues for all the poo poo in my TODO list too.

There's probably some old issues in there from before I turned them off on the repo. Feel free to look through them if you like, or just leave 'em for me to trawl.

VanSandman posted:

How do I put a user on ignore while using the app?

Scrolling down quickly is your best option at the moment. I'll +1 the feature request on the list :)

Teddybear posted:

Think something might be wrong with fetching the forum list. Restored on a new device from backup today and this is the forum list now:

My guess is the app failed to fetch the list of forums, and is showing you just the forums from threads you've read maybe via bookmarks. That or the logic to automatically refresh the list of forums failed to, well, automatically refresh. I'll add it to the list. You should be able to pull to refresh the forum list.

Crime on a Dime posted:

A couple of avatars are not showing up for me even after clearing cache. If this is not a known problem let me know and I'll get examples

News to me. Hit me with the examples if it's still a thing!

bug chaser chaser posted:

poo poo, thanks!

For some reason the emoji keyboard isn't full size, what's the fix for that?

Something broke awhile ago and I haven't fixed it yet.

carry on then posted:

Sadly we don't have much control over embedded videos, they behave how the web view decides they should behave. One thing we do have on the list is to move the web view to a newer one, but I couldn't say whether that would make older device compatibility better or worse, sorry.

I'm actually using announcements as an excuse to try out WKWebView. If it goes alright that'll end up spreading around. Might mean iOS 10 and lower loses whatever NSURLProtocol-based stuff we do (Minus and Waffleimages fixes mostly) but it's long past time.

Crime on a Dime posted:

The avatar for forums user PinkoBastard doesn't render at all. Latest iOS, iPhone 7+

Thanks! Will check it out.

dragon enthusiast posted:

I logged out today to try to fix this phantom sticky thread that still thought it was sticky even though it wasn't, and now no thread tags show up when I try to filter by thread tag.

Awful 7.25, iPhone 9.3.5

Sounds like scraping that list of threads is not going so well, as that's what populates the filter list and also marks threads as sticky or not. I'll keep an eye out.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Does the app fetch smilies from the forums or are they included in the app?

Both. Most are bundled in the app (and that gets updated when I remember to update it), and it'll also periodically pull down the showsmilies page and save anything new it finds.

In theory anyway. Entirely possible something broke. And this is only for the smilie keyboard, the iMessage stickers are bundled only and don't update automatically.

Crime on a Dime posted:

It sure does. Not sure why I implemented it this way, ages ago, but it is definitely on the list to do properly.

baka kaba posted:

PR is cool, and once your PR is merged you get the commit bit too. No contribution is too small.

El Jebus posted:

Having an issue where twitter links open in safari instead of the twitter app. I have Chrome selected as my browser for links. I have it set to open twitter in the twitter app, but deselecting it opens the links in Chrome instead of Safari. This is on an iPad with 10.3.3. I've only noticed Twitter posts opening in Safari instead of Twitter/Chrome.

When you say "twitter links" do you mean a link to a tweet? Or links within embedded tweets? Or something else?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

carry on then posted:

Any forum or specific ones?

Seems to be any forum

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

pokeyman posted:

When you say "twitter links" do you mean a link to a tweet? Or links within embedded tweets? Or something else?

Embedded tweets, sorry.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Hey this works on a iPad Pro, right? I'm thinking of upgrading my old iPad Air, but don't want to do it unless I can use this excellent app on it!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

As far as I know, it should correctly use the extra space on both sizes of pro. If it doesn't, please let us know!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Smol posted:

Hey this works on a iPad Pro, right? I'm thinking of upgrading my old iPad Air, but don't want to do it unless I can use this excellent app on it!

It works real good

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i would say it works more gooderer due to the space

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mad Wack posted:

i would say it works more gooderer due to the space

You have a future in ux

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

pokeyman posted:

Hey just wanted to say this has been happening to me too. If I click on the embedded tweet it usually opens up Twitter but lately it's been going to Safari instead.

I have the Open Twitter in Twitter option enabled as well.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I just made a post in "Heavy Petting", cancelled it and went back to it a couple of times to reread previous posts before finally posting. I use dark mode all the time but my final post preview was displayed in normal/light mode. New (cheap) iPad, ios10.3.3, and I think most recent version of awful app. Not a huge issue by any means but this is the first time I've seen it happen.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Crime on a Dime posted:

Seems to be any forum

I'll add it to the list!

El Jebus posted:

Embedded tweets, sorry.

keevo posted:

Hey just wanted to say this has been happening to me too. If I click on the embedded tweet it usually opens up Twitter but lately it's been going to Safari instead.

I have the Open Twitter in Twitter option enabled as well.

Added to the list, thanks y'all.

Stoca Zola posted:

I just made a post in "Heavy Petting", cancelled it and went back to it a couple of times to reread previous posts before finally posting. I use dark mode all the time but my final post preview was displayed in normal/light mode. New (cheap) iPad, ios10.3.3, and I think most recent version of awful app. Not a huge issue by any means but this is the first time I've seen it happen.

I'll +1 that on the list, turns out you're not the only victim.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I updated today and all my favourited smilies have gone :(

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I updated today and all my favourited smilies have gone :(

That is hosed up and I apologize.

Did you have to re-log in after updating or were you still logged in? Do you use the smilie keyboard as a system keyboard or do you only ever in Awful?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

pokeyman posted:

That is hosed up and I apologize.

Did you have to re-log in after updating or were you still logged in? Do you use the smilie keyboard as a system keyboard or do you only ever in Awful?

It's ok, it's the work of a few seconds to put them all back!

No, I didn't have to re-login. I only use Awful for smilies.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I don't like the new curvy left and right arrows. arrows are supposed to be pointy.

this is literally the only thing I can think of to complain about right now though so good job and thank you for the app

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Soricidus posted:

I don't like the new curvy left and right arrows. arrows are supposed to be pointy.
it's web 2.0

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i didn't even notice the new arrows - do people really care? just get me the posts, hot and fast

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Anyone else getting pages half loading, refresh doesn't fix it and you have to kill/restart ? iPhone 7+ and iPad Pro

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012
For the beta build of iOS 11, the smart invert will invert all pictures as well. Is there a way to choose the way these are shown so iOS 11 recognizes them as pictures and doesn't invert the colors?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Crime on a Dime posted:

Anyone else getting pages half loading, refresh doesn't fix it and you have to kill/restart ? iPhone 7+ and iPad Pro

There is a known issue where a page will render with blank gray boxes in the middle of posts after which (for me) the app will soon crash. I run into this a lot, especially after reading image- or tweet-heavy threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Keith Atherton posted:

There is a known issue where a page will render with blank gray boxes in the middle of posts after which (for me) the app will soon crash. I run into this a lot, especially after reading image- or tweet-heavy threads

They look like black boxes in dark mode, if this helps.

• Locked thread