Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Peven Stan posted:

The left used to shoot fascists and reactionaries like McCain. I think you mean the ideal of the bourgeois liberal reformer

They also used to shoot a lot of innocent people who they thought were reactionaries. Once you start shooting and stop thinking, it becomes pretty difficult to tell the true reactionaries apart from random dude who doesn't agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

LinYutang posted:

If he was convinced to show up they probably have the votes. Godspeed America!

the defense bill that's going up for a vote this week was probably a bigger reason he showed up than this

and i doubt mitch knows what votes he has right now, let alone back when mccain agreed to come

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I wasn't completely on board with all the grave dancing, but now I can say with a clear conscience that I hope this vote gives him a loving embolism.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I wasn't completely on board with all the grave dancing, but now I can say with a clear conscience that I hope this vote gives him a loving embolism.

Don't worry. Glioblastomas are one of the worst kinds of cancer you could have. They are extremely aggressive, and frequently recur even after surgery and chemo. Not only that, but the prognosis is terrible. In most cases, by the time the tumor is identified the patient has only two or three years to live. And finally, glioblastomas completely consume the ability of those they afflict to think rationally or to remember basic facts.

With any luck in a year he will be unable to go anywhere without a nurse and an aide or two, and even then he won't be able to make any decisions for himself.

BlueberryCanary fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 25, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not necessarily.

He's not going to drag himself off his sickbed to be outvoted. He's doing it because he is literally the deciding vote.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I still can't get over a man dying of brain cancer stripping away healthcare from millions of people.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BarbarianElephant posted:

He's not going to drag himself off his sickbed to be outvoted. He's doing it because he is literally the deciding vote.

he dragged himself off his sickbed to get more money for the military, which is also a thing being worked on right this second

i dont think he cares that much about the mtp on healthcare

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Hollismason posted:

I still can't get over a man dying of brain cancer stripping away healthcare from millions of people.

"If I'm going to die... I'm going to take as many of the fuckers with me as I can!"

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Paul is a yes on the MTP so they almost certainly have it. The question is what they pass, if anything. A skinny repeal is the big thing being floated now, that pretty much just kills the individual and employer mandates and the device tax. I can't see how that's doable with 50 votes, and they're using the 60-vote threshold as an excuse to not do the full Cruz-amended BCRA so they're not exactly planning to run roughshod over the parliamentarian, so who knows? It seems like the plan is "kick something, anything over to the conference committee and fix it there" but the pressure on House to just pass the Senate's bill will be huge. Upside is that this leaves Medicaid untouched. Downside is that it will absolutely death spiral the market.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
The rumor mill I'm hearing says that Portman has disconnected his offices' phones. That does not bode well.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the only way MTP fails is if Collins, Murkowski and Capito are the noes. Of course, there's 0 chance Paul votes for the final product, so I think the MTP is no guarantee of final passage, but it's a huge step in the wrong direction

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the only way MTP fails is if Collins, Murkowski and Capito are the noes. Of course, there's 0 chance Paul votes for the final product, so I think the MTP is no guarantee of final passage, but it's a huge step in the wrong direction

Heller could easily be a no, but is busy trying to vanish entirely and may just lock himself in a broom closet to miss the vote.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

Boomers gotta Jack Ruby literally everyone younger than they are

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BlueberryCanary posted:

Don't worry. Glioblastomas are one of the worst kinds of cancer you could have. They are extremely aggressive, and frequently recur even after surgery and chemo. Not only that, but the prognosis is terrible. In most cases, by the time the tumor is identified the patient has only two or three years to live. And finally, glioblastomas completely consume the ability of those they afflict to think rationally or to remember basic facts.

With any luck in a year he will be unable to go anywhere without a nurse and an aide or two, and even then he won't be able to make any decisions for himself.

And he'll still be coming to Congress to vote. I mean, look at Strom Thurmond -- he was 93 and completely unaware of anything going on around him and he was still wheeling into Congress to vote the way his Republican buddies told him to.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
Even their new plan seems to be to run roughshod over the rules.

Their new plan seems to be to pass just any bill and then go to conference with the House. Then the conference can come up with a full bill that both sides pass.

The problem with this is that the Senate currently has a rule to prevent new matter from being inserted in conference reports. Any bill that comes out of conference has to be made entirely out of provisions in the original House or Senate bill. If anything else has been added, any Senator can make a point of order that material has been added. The Senate can waive the point of order but only by getting 60 votes to disregard.

McConnell is going to try to pretend that it doesn't matter what they pass, but it matters in a very serious way unless they're prepared to pull out the Nuclear Option.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Selachian posted:

And he'll still be coming to Congress to vote. I mean, look at Strom Thurmond -- he was 93 and completely unaware of anything going on around him and he was still wheeling into Congress to vote the way his Republican buddies told him to.

McCain should really resign after this. He's probably compos mentis enough that he's voting to repeal the ACA due to his own evil political views, but in 6 months he'll be essentially senile and incapable of making meaningful decisions.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
How fast can they get a new person in? I assume if McCain resigns and names a successor Arizona's Republican governor would appoint that person, could they start the next day or are there formalities that delay things?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Well that's some shouting.

:stare:

El Rooster Diablo
Jul 24, 2011

McCain should really resign after this. He's probably compos mentis enough that he's voting to repeal the ACA due to his own evil political views, but in 6 months he'll be essentially senile and incapable of making meaningful decisions.

Agreed. At this point we basically have to hope the effects are obvious enough that he can't pretend to be fine.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

How much time do we have?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spiritus Nox posted:

How much time do we have?

20 hours of debate, which will likely be spread over the rest of the week. I do not know when they start voting on amendments.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol @ democrats giving this man a standing ovation right before he votes yes. politicians deserve the brain death they are given, what a shitbag.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i hope mccain drops dead

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

El Rooster Diablo posted:

Agreed. At this point we basically have to hope the effects are obvious enough that he can't pretend to be fine.

It won't make anything "better" for Democrats, though, because he's in a deep red state with a Republican governor appointing his replacement, and his successor is likely to be even more right wing than he is, the way the party is going. But he should still retire. His diagnosis is not consistent with being able to make decisions well, even if the treatment works he's going to have a chunk of his brain removed.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

It won't make anything "better" for Democrats, though, because he's in a deep red state with a Republican governor appointing his replacement, and his successor is likely to be even more right wing than he is, the way the party is going. But he should still retire. His diagnosis is not consistent with being able to make decisions well, even if the treatment works he's going to have a chunk of his brain removed.

That's very prejudiced of you against the differently abled.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I hope McCain refuses to stand down while he's rendered a drooling, barely conscious Vegeta and his good good healthcare keeps him alive for a long, long time.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

nm

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 25, 2017

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

So what the gently caress happens now?

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Qu Appelle posted:

So what the gently caress happens now?

Either the Republicans in the senate tear each other apart over what will be in the bill and nothing is ultimately passed, or people die.

Don't count on the former.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I hope McCain refuses to stand down while he's rendered a drooling, barely conscious Vegeta and his good good healthcare keeps him alive for a long, long time.

I think your autocorrect just revealed something about you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/VaughnHillyard/status/889602204826562564

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

DLC Inc posted:

lol @ democrats giving this man a standing ovation right before he votes yes. politicians deserve the brain death they are given, what a shitbag.

Exactly. Neo liberalism centrism at its finest.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

20 hours of debate, which will likely be spread over the rest of the week. I do not know when they start voting on amendments.

Now, or more accurately they're debating over the first amendment right now and will be voting as soon as that debate is finished which iirc should be within the hour.

Edit// Or next couple of hours, god drat the Senate always moves slower than I remember.

farraday fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 25, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-40719743

At least there's some good news about healthcare today

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You know, we may be forcing the deaths of countless lives but man we're at least going out with fire-emoji level headlines.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Azhais posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-40719743

At least there's some good news about healthcare today

LOL the headlines for that study keep getting better. Medical reporting is so phoned in it's not even funny.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Brock ready to do his part to bail the UFC out of this string of PPV duds

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2723782-brock-lesnar-says-anytime-anywhere-regarding-possible-jon-jones-superfight

Edit: whoops wrong forum! well Brock would need the access to healthcare McCain voted to start dismantling if he were not already a millionaire.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 26, 2017

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

hell yeah, i love to see brock tackle a motherfucker and hit him with his tiny hammer blows

wait is this d&d or rowdy ringsports. i can't even tell where i post anymore.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Wrong subforum, homie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Forceholy posted:

Wrong subforum, homie.

i mean, it's about a man with brain problems that's ten years past his prime so uh