Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

When all of the jobs are gone, I am going to just dress up like a robot and ask for a job, and pretend that all my human things like eating and drinking are cool, cute design quirks they put in me to make me seem more human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If the military is so good at squashing insurrections, this is great news for the situation in Afghanistan.

Turning the country into Afghanistan would be a dramatic improvement over the status quo, yes.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
You can't take away my guns if the government decides to take my freedom we'll take the capital by storm that's my right as an American

*liberals post about armed revolt*

woah woah not like that

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Out of curiosity, why wasn't Gardner ever on the "moderate" list? Colorado voted for Hilary by a decent margin. Is it just that 4 years is too far in legislative memory?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Onion throwing bombs.

http://www.theonion.com/article/senator-struggling-weigh-interests-entire-constitu-56479

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Flip Yr Wig posted:

The American revolution was the local elite trying to protect their trade privileges from the mother country that was trying to rein them in, thus retaining local sovereignty. They already had a strong tradition of powerful local representative political bodies dominated by the elite bourgeoisie, so didn't really fundamentally transform the socio-political relationships during the revolution, though they did create a strong national identity.

The French revolution occurred before the creation of anti-revolutionary political policing and the instillment of a strongly reactionary military culture. I'd say it was also a product of a time when the rural popular culture wasn't so explicitly reactionary, but that actually happened fairly rapidly during the course of the revolution.

The Russian revolution might be a better, more modern example, but it would require economic collapse and scarcity first.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

SlipkPIe posted:

The house is waiting with bated breath to rubberstamp whatever the Senate sends back

You mean the house with the House Freedom Caucus, that already rebelled once and won? If anything gets out of the Senate, there is going to be a conference unless it is literally just the House bill which uh, if it were going to be that we wouldn't be here now.

Bicyclops posted:

When all of the jobs are gone, I am going to just dress up like a robot and ask for a job, and pretend that all my human things like eating and drinking are cool, cute design quirks they put in me to make me seem more human.

Nah omae, we could use some one with those kinds of talents in the coming shadows.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I hope liberals get more pro-gun, because just like Bernie that's always been my biggest idiosyncrasy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

You can't take away my guns if the government decides to take my freedom we'll take the capital by storm that's my right as an American

*liberals post about armed revolt*

woah woah not like that

black-panthers-at-ca-capital.jpg

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Our founding fathers wanted us to talk about armed insurrection as much as possible. :patriot:

They sat at the top of a social pyramid which, while somewhat flattened from that of the mother country, still safely insulated them from many of the more bloody consequences of armed insurrection. And while us goons are hardly the 1%, we occupy a similarly privileged position as we perch upon our internet message board and call for blood to run in the streets.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The "better skills" part kind of is because it implicitly blames folks for their crushing economic conditions and posits we can fight automation, falling aggregate demand, and populism by teaching everybody how to program.

Actually if you took better skills out it would be okay. Meets the rule of three instead of saying "better" four times in a cumbersome way. It wouldn't be great (like "the many, not the few" is) but it'd be fine.

They took Better Skills out

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TGLT posted:

You mean the house with the House Freedom Caucus, that already rebelled once and won? If anything gets out of the Senate, there is going to be a conference unless it is literally just the House bill which uh, if it were going to be that we wouldn't be here now.

I'm not counting on the house for anything. If skinny repeal passes, then maybe the HFC forces a conference? That would be a good thing, because this turns into a total mess in conference that could die, but they would know that conference is unlikely to succeed so if Paul is on board with skinny repeal, then I think the HFC is too.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Sinteres posted:

'lol wouldn't it be great if he could be tortured times a billion!?!?!?' isn't passion, it's teenagers jerking off to faces of death in their parents' basement. Grow the gently caress up and talk about politics like a human being.

You don't know what passion is, then. I don't want him to die slowly. I want him to die so that my friends might live.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

TGLT posted:

Yeahhhh, I don't see the HFC being at all thrilled at the possibility of voting for a skinny repeal that doesn't touch medicaid.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Oddly enough one of the Democrats' biggest problems is that they are anti-clocktower sniper and yet doesn't have enough of them in their ranks to cow the GOP

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

xeria posted:

Yeahhhh, I don't see the HFC being at all thrilled at the possibility of voting for a skinny repeal that doesn't touch medicaid.

We also need to remember that skinny repeal could win over more moderates to take up the slack from defecting HFC crazies.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Rigel posted:

I'm not counting on the house for anything. If skinny repeal passes, then maybe the HFC forces a conference? That would be a good thing, because this turns into a total mess in conference that could die, but they would know that conference is unlikely to succeed so if Paul is on board with skinny repeal, then I think the HFC is too.

Ha ha ha the HFC does not give a gently caress. They didn't give a gently caress when it looked like them killing the AHCA the first time looked like that would be it. If the senate doesn't get them what they want, they're going to treat it as well as they treated Paul Ryan. And if the senate was going to give them what they wanted, I think they'd have done that by now.

I'm not going to say that's enough to kill it whatever happens, but it's not smooth sailing just because they got the MTP through.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Your Boy Fancy posted:

You don't know what passion is, then. I don't want him to die slowly. I want him to die so that my friends might live.

Wanting him to die is different from wanting him to suffer. It's the difference between putting someone in jail because they committed a crime and torturing that person to death.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

pacmania90 posted:

Wanting him to die is different from wanting him to suffer. It's the difference between putting someone in jail because they committed a crime and torturing that person to death.

But you repeat yourself.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
If "skinny repeal" (eg "let's crash the healthcare market as quickly as possible while ensuring there's nothing there to replace it") goes to the house, it's passing. There aren't enough tortilla coast raiders to stop it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rigel posted:

We also need to remember that skinny repeal could win over more moderates to take up the slack from defecting HFC crazies.

Anything's possible, of course, but this whole thing has the appearance that this is going to be their one shot to reform anything about ACA/healthcare before midterms. That could thrust incentive onto both sides of the party to demand their one special thing be included, and force it to conference.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Oddly enough one of the Democrats' biggest problems is that they are anti-clocktower sniper and yet doesn't have enough of them in their ranks to cow the GOP

Well, McCain has a brain tumor now as well, so maybe someone should hand him a couple of rifles and point him to the capital dome.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pacmania90 posted:

So in your mind, it is better to wish death on McCain rather than wish no insurance on McCain? :psyduck:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

The Russian revolution might be a better, more modern example, but it would require economic collapse and scarcity first.

Which one? 1905, February, October --- or, arguably, 1991?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Petr posted:

If "skinny repeal" (eg "let's crash the healthcare market as quickly as possible while ensuring there's nothing there to replace it") goes to the house, it's passing. There aren't enough tortilla coast raiders to stop it.

Wrong again. Without HFC they would need Democrats to pass it.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Petr posted:

I mean at least with a clean repeal you can go back to your constituents with a "I killed OCare and all I got was this lousy tshirt" but with a slim repeal not only did you not kill OCare, people get to watch it crash and burn in real time

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

New ruling from the Senate parliamentarian: the so-called "age tax" needs 60 votes.

That basically kills every GOP plan other than maybe the skinny repeal. (well maybe not the 2015 repeal either, but thats already DOA so who cares)

https://twitter.com/RebeccaShabad/status/889945158720028674

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

xeria posted:

They might vote for it because it will destroy the insurance markets, necessitating a total overhaul.

Again, this is some giant gamble to get Democrats to play ball. If they plunge the nation into a healthcare crisis, then the Democrats will HAVE to vote for their lovely repeal/replace.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Trabisnikof posted:

So in your mind, it is better to wish death on McCain rather than wish no insurance on McCain? :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Do you know how much better "Flush that Orange Turd" would poll instead of whatever horseshit the DNC has dreamed up now?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Do you know how much better "Flush that Orange Turd" would poll instead of whatever horseshit the DNC has dreamed up now?

That goes on the Donor emails

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Your Boy Fancy posted:

That's not how it works.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rigel posted:

New ruling from the Senate parliamentarian: the so-called "age tax" needs 60 votes.

That basically kills every GOP plan other than maybe the skinny repeal.

Infinite Calvinball.

Meanwhile, McCain remains deeply concerned and would like us to all work together, since total disfunction is everyone's fault:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.5da4377b56dd

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Rigel posted:

That basically kills every GOP plan other than maybe the skinny repeal. (well maybe not the 2015 repeal either, but thats already DOA so who cares)

You mean the ones that aren't on the table anymore?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
The histrionics in this thread are pretty pathetic. Everyone that thinks the sky is already falling should take a walk if they're able to. Gnashing your teeth about a 50-50 vote to proceed with debate on a half-baked bill is a bit premature.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Rigel posted:

So does repealing the individual mandate pass the Byrd rule because it can be construed as a tax, rather than a penalty for breaking a statute?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

Wrong again. Without HFC they would need Democrats to pass it.

Are you assuming that the moderates vote the way they did last time? I admit I don't have an exact vote count of how the house went down previously, but it seems really unlikely to me that the tortilla coast could hold up the thing on their own.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
John McCain does not deserve to live. This is the only correct opinion.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Not pacmania, but death has the effect of actually removing his power to hurt people whereas his suffering is mostly just about feeling satisfied and avenged but to no meaningful end. If the only thing that's gonna stop McCain from voting for this poo poo is death then I hope he dies quickly from his cancer. But it's not like him suffering is going to do anything.

edit: keep all sadism consensual, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So does repealing the individual mandate pass the Byrd rule because it can be construed as a tax, rather than a penalty for breaking a statute?

That was one supreme court justice's wacky justification for not torpedoing his legacy, I don't think it holds any legislative weight.

• Locked thread