Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Polyakov posted:

EA does also sell the C&C collection on Origin and it works just fine.

Sure, but that'd mean using the wretched chugging mess of a client that is Origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I still have a physical copy of C&C The First Decade which I got for cheap about ten years ago, one of the better game purchases I've made.

The physical manual has descriptions of every unit and building from each game, I was always fond of that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Kanfy posted:

I still have a physical copy of C&C The First Decade which I got for cheap about ten years ago, one of the better game purchases I've made.

The physical manual has descriptions of every unit and building from each game, I was always fond of that.
Wasn't TFD the one that needed massive patches, because they forgot the videos and the music for a bunch of games?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SelenicMartian posted:

Wasn't TFD the one that needed massive patches, because they forgot the videos and the music for a bunch of games?

Could be, I don't remember having any major issues so it was probably patched by the time I got it.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
edit: claimed

Dark Sun 1&2 duo code sent to MB-T

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 25, 2017

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I would still like to see D.W. Bradley's Wizards and Warriors as well as the Pool of Radiance remake, even though I will admit that the latter isn't very good. I have a disc copy of it, but it's a pain in the arse to install everything, patch it and slap on a No-CD hack.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Neddy Seagoon posted:

C&C Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert and Tiberian Sun were officially declared Freeware by EA, so just go hunting for them. CNC Net seems to have installers for modern OS's.

I have TFD, TUC, and all the different free releases. I just appreciate having a GOG edition.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
My biggest wants are the rest of the Sierra / Dynamix catalog, the Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes, Innocent Until Caught / Guilty, and Twilight: 2000.

My guess is only one of those things will ever become available.

E: And I own all of those and they work fine through DOSBox so I don't know what's wrong with me.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

sweart gliwere posted:

edit: claimed

Dark Sun 1&2 duo code sent to MB-T

very much thanks, dark sun is an insanely good setting

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Peas and Rice posted:

Twilight: 2000.
Ah, yes. The game where you need the manual to know which 80% of skills are not used in the game.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

SelenicMartian posted:

Ah, yes. The game where you need the manual to know which 80% of skills are not used in the game.

Don't forget making a stable of characters who only exist to speak the 50+ language variants you might encounter, so you can move the game forward.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

I would still like to see D.W. Bradley's Wizards and Warriors as well as the Pool of Radiance remake, even though I will admit that the latter isn't very good. I have a disc copy of it, but it's a pain in the arse to install everything, patch it and slap on a No-CD hack.

I've been trying to get W&W working for a while but can't do better than have it run like poo poo on a new computer regardless of settings. I really want to see that game on GoG but I think they'd need source access to clean it up or develop some kinda game specific virtual box for running old Windows games.

Considering Bradley still occasionally releases a new version of Dungeon Lords he is still around and probably controls the property. He might be too crazy to allow anyone near the source though.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'd love to see dark orbit come out, just because I played it for about a half hour and thought it'd be fun. reddit link, sorry

Also, locus. Still want to play locus even though I know it'd be trash now.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

SelenicMartian posted:

I had to look up Twilight 2000, and seeing that it's adapted from a pen-and-paper game, that sounds about on par for early CRPGs.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
A big series missing from GoG is Mechwarrior. There's probably some licensing crap with Battletech there though. Still would be nice to see. Same goes for the Dune games.

Oh and Oni. I remember liking that game ages ago and currently it's not available anywhere.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

General Emergency posted:

A big series missing from GoG is Mechwarrior. There's probably some licensing crap with Battletech there though. Still would be nice to see. Same goes for the Dune games.

Oh and Oni. I remember liking that game ages ago and currently it's not available anywhere.

The Mechwarrior games are a licensing clusterfuck. They've gone through so many rights owners with so many developers, some of which are defunct and some of which are dicks to negotiate with (Activision, Microsoft) that I'd be incredibly suprised if we see anything Battletech related on Gog.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Max Wilco posted:

I had to look up Twilight 2000, and seeing that it's adapted from a pen-and-paper game, that sounds about on par for early CRPGs.

It came out around the same time as Megatraveller, from the same company, and really had no excuse for being as lovely as it was.

I also think it was more or less unwinnable. It just kept throwing new missions at you without any sort of climax, and you eventually ran out of resources because you never acquired more resources than a mission took.

Come to think of it I have no idea why I want that game on GOG in the first place. It was awful.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fil5000 posted:

The Mechwarrior games are a licensing clusterfuck. They've gone through so many rights owners with so many developers, some of which are defunct and some of which are dicks to negotiate with (Activision, Microsoft) that I'd be incredibly suprised if we see anything Battletech related on Gog.

Not only that, but some Battlemech models are what's called Unseen because FASA were told in the 80's they could go ahead and license a bunch of Macross/Robotech mecha for their Battlemech designs, only to learn they were sold bullshit by the people who told them it was kosher. They've been Unseen since the whole matter was legally settled in the mid-90's. Go take a look at the Phoenix Hawk and Marauder, then take a look at the Macross Valkyrie and Officer Pod. Some of the games are affected by this little shitstorm.

Specifically; Mechwarrior 2 has the Warhammer (Tomahawk Destroid) and Marauder (Officer's Pod) in its lineup. The original has it even worse, because six of the eight Battlemechs are Macross mecha. Those two games have absolutely zero chance of ever seeing the light of day again on GoG.

Mechwarrior 3 and 4 came out after 1996, so they're the only two that could potentially see the light of day at some point. From the looks of Mechwarrior Online, they've managed to get some of the Unseen designs by taking a big hatchet to the original version to file off the edges far enough to not get their asses sued into oblivion by Harmony Gold.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 26, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wish theyd put the old version of axis & allies from like 95 on gog

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not only that, but some Battlemech models are what's called Unseen because FASA were told in the 80's they could go ahead and license a bunch of Macross/Robotech mecha for their Battlemech designs, only to learn they were sold bullshit by the people who told them it was kosher. They've been Unseen since the whole matter was legally settled in the mid-90's. Go take a look at the Phoenix Hawk and Marauder, then take a look at the Macross Valkyrie and Officer Pod. Some of the games are affected by this little shitstorm.

Specifically; Mechwarrior 2 has the Warhammer (Tomahawk Destroid) and Marauder (Officer's Pod) in its lineup. The original has it even worse, because six of the eight Battlemechs are Macross mecha. Those two games have absolutely zero chance of ever seeing the light of day again on GoG.

Mechwarrior 3 and 4 came out after 1996, so they're the only two that could potentially see the light of day at some point. Mechwarrior Online's managed to get some of the Unseen designs by taking a big hatchet to the original version to file off the edges far enough to not get their asses sued into oblivion by Harmony Gold.

And even that hasn't worked because both PGI and Harebrained Schemes are getting sued by Harmony Gold right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fil5000 posted:

And even that hasn't worked because both PGI and Harebrained Schemes are getting sued by Harmony Gold right now.

It's not even like they're the only Battlemechs in the franchise, and it's not a hard thing to comprehend; Don't touch the loving Unseen.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Yup. To go into things:

- All the games were licensed by FASA (shut down in 2001, properties sold to WizKids who are owned by Topps, then subcontracted out to FanPro then Catalyst Game Labs), via FASA Interactive (which was bought by Microsoft, shut down, then the IPs sold off to Smith & Tinker, who sold to Piranha Games).
- MW1 was by Dynamix, published by Activision (both part of Vivendi Universal, which in 2004 was mostly sold off to GE/NBC Universal). Most of its designs were part of the Unseen - designs that are in copyright dispute due to issues with the original Japanese artists/studios who made them and Harmony Gold. The SNES version was done by Beam Software (an Infogrames/Atari subsidiary, sold in 2006 to Krome Studios). The MechWarrior 3050 sequel was Tiburon Entertainment (now part of EA) and Activision (see above); the Genesis version was by Malibu Interactive/Extreme Entertainment Group, who I can't seem to find info on.
- MW2 (and MW: Mercenaries) was Activision (now Activision-Blizzard) and is probably the only one with a sane copyright string to follow.
- MW3 is by Microprose/Zipper Interactive, who were sold to Infogrames/Atari, and later sold to Legacy Engineering, and then to somebody called Cybergun (as best I can tell). Because we're looking at multiple studio collapses/acquisitions, anybody along the way could have the rights, or any of the other parties involved in ANY of those sales/mergers.
- MW4 (and MW4: Mercenaries and both MechCommander games) is FASA Interactive after it was acquired by Microsoft, so that's also semi-sane.
- The Crescent Hawk games were by Westwood (now absorbed by EA) and Infocom (part of Activision), and also feature the Unseen designs.

There's also the three early MMOs (Battletech: EGA, Battletech: Solaris, and Battletech 3025) that are probably lost forever, the terrible MechAssault games (under Microsoft's aegis and probably still their property) and there's currently five more games active/in development.

So several games are in copyright hell because nobody knows who has them (or they've got secondary concerns, like the Unseen). The ones we do know are owned by companies that aren't terribly GOG-friendly. And the entire thing is complicated by the original IP and the electronic IP being separated and both being sold/licensed/subcontracted out multiple times. It isn't quite NOLF-levels of trouble but it's unlikely.

Edit: And yes, Harmony Gold is SUPER aggressive with filing suits about anything that even vaguely resembles the Macross/Robotech stuff. They basically sue any project that's even slightly Battletech-related, and with debatably fair reason.

Tempest_56 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 26, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Tempest_56 posted:

Yup. To go into things:

- All the games were licensed by FASA (shut down in 2001, properties sold to WizKids who are owned by Topps, then subcontracted out to FanPro then Catalyst Game Labs), via FASA Interactive (which was bought by Microsoft, shut down, then the IPs sold off to Smith & Tinker, who sold to Piranha Games).
- MW1 was by Dynamix, published by Activision (both part of Vivendi Universal, which in 2004 was mostly sold off to GE/NBC Universal). Most of its designs were part of the Unseen - designs that are in copyright dispute due to issues with the original Japanese artists/studios who made them and Harmony Gold. The SNES version was done by Beam Software (an Infogrames/Atari subsidiary, sold in 2006 to Krome Studios). The MechWarrior 3050 sequel was Tiburon Entertainment (now part of EA) and Activision (see above); the Genesis version was by Malibu Interactive/Extreme Entertainment Group, who I can't seem to find info on.
- MW2 (and MW: Mercenaries) was Activision (now Activision-Blizzard) and is probably the only one with a sane copyright string to follow.
- MW3 is by Microprose/Zipper Interactive, who were sold to Infogrames/Atari, and later sold to Legacy Engineering, and then to somebody called Cybergun (as best I can tell). Because we're looking at multiple studio collapses/acquisitions, anybody along the way could have the rights, or any of the other parties involved in ANY of those sales/mergers.
- MW4 (and MW4: Mercenaries and both MechCommander games) is FASA Interactive after it was acquired by Microsoft, so that's also semi-sane.
- The Crescent Hawk games were by Westwood (now absorbed by EA) and Infocom (part of Activision), and also feature the Unseen designs.

There's also the three early MMOs (Battletech: EGA, Battletech: Solaris, and Battletech 3025) that are probably lost forever, the terrible MechAssault games (under Microsoft's aegis and probably still their property) and there's currently five more games active/in development.

So several games are in copyright hell because nobody knows who has them (or they've got secondary concerns, like the Unseen). The ones we do know are owned by companies that aren't terribly GOG-friendly. And the entire thing is complicated by the original IP and the electronic IP being separated and both being sold/licensed/subcontracted out multiple times. It isn't quite NOLF-levels of trouble but it's unlikely.

Edit: And yes, Harmony Gold is SUPER aggressive with filing suits about anything that even vaguely resembles the Macross/Robotech stuff. They basically sue any project that's even slightly Battletech-related, and with debatably fair reason.

I don't even think PGI were sold the rights, I think they've just got them on a lease until 2019 or so, though maybe that got extended.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
If anyone can get Battletech games straightened out it is GOG. A couple years ago I interviewed with them for an acquisition job and they were intense.

Id love if they got Mech Warrior 4. I still have my mektek version but a GOG version would still get updates...

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Is there anything I should grab from the Interplay sale before they hike the price up?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I think the only games that I'm holding out for to be released are the Hexen/Heretic series and Wizards & Warriors.

Max Wilco posted:

Is there anything I should grab from the Interplay sale before they hike the price up?

Depends on what you have and what you're interested in

Games that I think are genuinely good for everyone

MDK & MDK 2
Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Ignition
Jagged Alliance 2
Descent (showing it's age)
Toonstruck

Things that are more if you're a fan of the genre or what it's based on

Star Trek games
Dragon Wars
Castles
Redneck Rampage
Conquest of the New World

I hesitate to say that Prehistorik is worth getting but I enjoyed it. Screamer 2 is also supposed to be pretty good so that's worth it. From here it's basically various levels of jank; Stonekeep is a functional Eye of the Beholder clone, Die by the Sword is interesting in that there was genuine effort to create something unique but it's pretty painful by design, Messiah & Kingpin are both pretty crap but they're amusingly bad.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

freespace 2 is loving awesome, last and best of its kind.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

please buy Freespace 2 if you haven't

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sudden Strike Gold, 2 Gold and 3 are now on GOG with a 25% bundle discount, or all three are free if you pre-order the upcoming fourth game.

GOG posted:

While still not entirely devoid of technical hiccups, these versions of the celebrated classics have been tweaked to work better in today's machines. You can expect added CD audio to SS 1, 2, and Resource War, restored editors for SS 3 and Last Stand, and a more stable performance for SS 2.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I would do unspeakable things to get the OG Close Combat games on GoG. The first one was a favorite of mine when I was a kid and could barely figure out what was going on, I'd love to go back to it now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
One thing that sold me on SS4, besides getting all of the other SS games for free, was that they made the combat RTwP. Being able to pause and issue orders to your tanks and artillery and such, then go back to RT combat, is very attractive to me.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Testekill posted:

I think the only games that I'm holding out for to be released are the Hexen/Heretic series and Wizards & Warriors.

Depends on what you have and what you're interested in

Games that I think are genuinely good for everyone

MDK & MDK 2
Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Ignition
Jagged Alliance 2
Descent (showing it's age)
Toonstruck

Things that are more if you're a fan of the genre or what it's based on

Star Trek games
Dragon Wars
Castles
Redneck Rampage
Conquest of the New World

I hesitate to say that Prehistorik is worth getting but I enjoyed it. Screamer 2 is also supposed to be pretty good so that's worth it. From here it's basically various levels of jank; Stonekeep is a functional Eye of the Beholder clone, Die by the Sword is interesting in that there was genuine effort to create something unique but it's pretty painful by design, Messiah & Kingpin are both pretty crap but they're amusingly bad.

Thanks for the recommendations. Luckily I already had Toonstruck and Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

I grabbed Freespace 2, MDK2, Die by The Sword, Stonekeep, and Lost Eden. I thought about picking up Redneck Rampage, but I have it on disc (haven't played it yet, though), and my only reason to buy the GOG version is to get the expansions.

Descent's not actually on GOG anymore, though (I think it was pulled from all digital distribution platforms because of some legal issues), and it's actually standalone Unfinished Business expansion for Jagged Alliance 2 that's on sale, not the full game..

Does it help to plug-in a joystick for Freespace 2? I remember hearing that it actually played better with a mouse, but maybe I'm confusing it with a different game.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

it might be a bit easier with a mouse but it's definitely a lot cooler with a joystick

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'd love for them to start cracking into the 20 or so Nobunaga's Ambition games.

Oh, and Mode.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Darthemed posted:

I'd love for them to start cracking into the 20 or so Nobunaga's Ambition games.
A good chunk of the Nobunaga games are on Steam, and a bunch of the first few games in the series were added earlier this year to mark 35 years of Kou Shibusawa games. Problem is, only the two most recent games are in English, and they're all pretty expensive (the very first game, from 1983, is US$13!)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, if you wanna play the original Nobunaga's Ambition in English just play one of the console versions. :v:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

My wished for classic games on GOG are Bungie & Dynamix's forgotten games.

Bungie: there is opensource ports for most of their earlier pre-Microsoft buyout games.
Marathon series
Myth 1
Myth 2

Dynamix:
Essentially any of Dynamix's wireframe engine simulator games would be stellar or aces, even.
Starsiege, Stellar 7, Arctic Fox, Nova 9 F-14 combat, Mechwarrior 1, A-10, Skyfox, Aces of the series, etc.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Anybody know why GOG has most of the SNK ports save for Garou? Was really excited for that one but it seems like it ain't coming.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

My wished for classic games on GOG are Bungie & Dynamix's forgotten games.

Bungie: there is opensource ports for most of their earlier pre-Microsoft buyout games.
Marathon series
Myth 1
Myth 2

Dynamix:
Essentially any of Dynamix's wireframe engine simulator games would be stellar or aces, even.
Starsiege, Stellar 7, Arctic Fox, Nova 9 F-14 combat, Mechwarrior 1, A-10, Skyfox, Aces of the series, etc.

Right, Myth 2 is probably the top of my list now. gently caress that game was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's good in this weeks sale?