Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Captain Sara Lance, Time Bisexual

The only males that we've seen her romance were Ollie and Snart (sorta). All of her liaisons in the past have been women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And?

You don't magically stop being a bisexual when you don't have any male partners.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's true that in this show all of her time flings appear to be women, but since bisexual erasure is a thing I think we need to include it in her title.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Bruceski posted:

It's true that in this show all of her time flings appear to be women, but since bisexual erasure is a thing I think we need to include it in her title.

Agreed. Though I have to admit that "Time Lesbian" rolls off the tongue a little better.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And still everyone ignores Ray Palmer, Time Heterosexual :(

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

nine-gear crow posted:

And still everyone ignores Ray Palmer, Time Incel :(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
She's not bisexual, she just likes loving Queens.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

She's not bisexual, she just likes loving Queens.

Sarah Lance, Queen Layer

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Bisexual Erasure is a real thing. Hell, the B in LGBT stands for Babadook now!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Senerio posted:

Bisexual Erasure is a real thing. Hell, the B in LGBT stands for Babadook now!

Wasn't that that super boring horror movie? Did I fall asleep and miss the part where it's also a queer story?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's a joke about how Netflix put that movie in the LGBT category and it caught on like wildfire.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Inkspot posted:

I'd... like to call OP for Season 3. Anything in particular anyone wants to see?
I don't know if this gif belongs here, or in the Flash Season 4 OP

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

8one6 posted:

Wasn't that that super boring horror movie? Did I fall asleep and miss the part where it's also a queer story?

It was an engrossing tale of how burying your grief without dealing with it can turn anyone into a monster, but it also had an actual monster that looked like something from a German Expressionism film.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

howe_sam posted:

I don't know if this gif belongs here, or in the Flash Season 4 OP

Both

Also Captain Sarah Lance, Time Lesbian sounds cheesier which makes it a better fit.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Reasons for not acknowledging bisexuality:

She's not banged a dude in a while but she did kiss one and that apparently doesn't count
"Time lesbian" sounds cheesier/rolls off the tongue better/wordplay is important apparently

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

She's not banged a dude in a while but she did kiss one and that apparently doesn't count
"Time lesbian" sounds cheesier/rolls off the tongue better/wordplay is important apparently

Wordplay is really important when making memes. It's like poetry. It doesn't have to be correct to sound good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

More reasons for not acknowledging bisexuality:

Memes

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Sarah Lance: Time Lesbian*

*actually, she's been with a couple of dudes so she's bisexual, but just has a preference for ladies which, in pop culture, is the same as just being a lesbian even though Gold Star Lesbians exist.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Memes

To spite TFRazorsaw

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
are we using the term "gold star lesbian" unironically in twenty fuckin seventeen?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

DoctorWhat posted:

are we using the term "gold star lesbian" unironically in twenty fuckin seventeen?

no.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DoctorWhat posted:

Welcome to Trumps America.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think all lesbians deserve a gold star.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
We need a full list of who Captain Sara Lance, Time Lesbian has romanced.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Andrew_1985 posted:

We need a full list of who Captain Sara Lance, Time Lesbian has romanced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lists_of_queens

as a start.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

To spite TFRazorsaw

Look dude, is that really called for? I'm bisexual myself, it's not like I'm concern trolling here. It's a small thing but it legitimately bugs me.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

TFRazorsaw posted:

Look dude, is that really called for? I'm bisexual myself, it's not like I'm concern trolling here. It's a small thing but it legitimately bugs me.

I'm bisexual, too and just the fact that she's had committed relationships with of both male and female makes me happy. At least she's not portrayed as a slut or someone who needs to make a decision on hetero or homo.

Edit: I know we need more representation. But the CW seems like it enjoys pushing the envelope for LGBT stuff, so I'm sure it'll come. They got so much good press with Maggie / Alex I can't imagine them slowing down with it. Even after the impromptu song controversy.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 25, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess I just don't see why saying "this is what she is" is a big deal.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

TFRazorsaw posted:

I guess I just don't see why saying "this is what she is" is a big deal.

It's not to me. I agree that Time Lesbian sounds better than Time Bisexual. I also agree that it is entirely incorrect. I mean, "lesbian" is just a cool word. Nobody else on the sexuaity spectrum gets their own word.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not really saying the show or the CW is gonna walk back any aspects of Sara in this case, I'm just. She is what she is. That's all.

Yeah, I find it annoying, but everyone else on this forum seems sarcastic and annoyed most of the time so I don't know how to split the difference sometimes.

I wish I knew how to read people better.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I quibble about it sometimes just because it always seems weird to me when a character that has had heterosexual and homosexual relationships in their story arcs get called "gay" because that seems like it kinda undercuts/retcons the heterosexual relationships and their significance to the character.

Plus it stands to reason that Sara may one day go for broke and seduce a historical threesome.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Willow is gay now, though.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Senerio posted:

Willow is gay now, though.

The nelwyn?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Because we lack a grammar for time travel, we lack a simple word for her sexuality. She is attracted to people with the same gender OR the same time-displacement, which is why she was interested in Ollie (before she time-traveled) and Snart (same time-displacement value) but only interested in women outside her own time period. Without a proper term for that orientation, she is at once a (chrononeutral)-Bisexual and a Time-Lesbian.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Test Pattern posted:

Because we lack a grammar for time travel, we lack a simple word for her sexuality. She is attracted to people with the same gender OR the same time-displacement, which is why she was interested in Ollie (before she time-traveled) and Snart (same time-displacement value) but only interested in women outside her own time period. Without a proper term for that orientation, she is at once a (chrononeutral)-Bisexual and a Time-Lesbian.

Pretty sure Sarah and Nyssa are from the same time period.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Typically when women hang out together long enough their time periods sync.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

GreenNight posted:

Typically when women hang out together long enough their time periods sync.

:discourse:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That was physically painful.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Now you understand most fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Is this a jab at me? Because I was on your side until you got salty and sarcastic here.

• Locked thread