Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dejan Bimble posted:

What's a good team to root for this year if your hometeam is a run by a fat idiot

Is that eastern or central time

Mountain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/889952270481334272

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Jesus loving Christ lol

I guess that makes sorting out the guard rotation a little less awkward

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

That sucks. I like Brandon Knight and wish he could get somewhere that he could play.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dexo posted:

They have a bunch of players who are functional rotation NBA players. If they acquire enough of those they might be able to trade for and match salaries for an unhappy star.

Their season last year was a showcase of backend talent available for the low cost of a bad contract or a 2nd round pick.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

He shot 44% from 3 last year. Yeah 17 million seems like a player favorable contract but he's going to help them

Didn't shoot a lot and doesn't do anything else offensively. Nice bench guy I guess but he's grossly overpaid.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

loving lol brandon knight

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ah that sucks

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Nets don't have their own pick so winning some games next year isn't the worst thing in the world and it'll make the fans happy. Taking on Mosgov for Russell was a great move, taking on Carroll for a mid-late first is kind of meh. But wanting a second shot at Allen Crabbe on a deal that everyone agreed he wasn't worth is just kind of weird.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Well this sure is something.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/889954590375981059

Does this mean the Bledsoe trade would be off the table?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Afflalo is cooked as a defender. Can't stay with anyone on the perimeter. As a SF he's a little better and if you're starting him there you have no hope of stopping LeBron or KD anyway.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

pubic works project posted:

Does this mean the Bledsoe trade would be off the table?

In a hypothetical Irving trade? Not really, Tyler Ulis played more than Knight did last year and they have a couple other guards who could pick up some minutes

Speaking of:
https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/889955685873598465

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/889863906566348800

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Melo deadline has come and gone, huzzah

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The Suns are lucking into tank mode over an unprecedented timespan

They could actually be some sort of team in 3 years or so

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Intruder posted:

:sweatdrop:

Extension signed

https://www.instagram.com/p/BW-PSyhFSQ_/

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Intruder posted:

joke's on you friend, Melo runs on Mountain Time

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So they are paying let's say a 5-7 million premium for crabbe or 15-20 million over three years. 5-7 million cap space in one year is not enough to buy a good pick and also not enough to absorb a bad deal. So it looks like it's ok really?

I suppose that 5-7 million could be the difference between a large max and medium fa offer but are they really attracting anyone good.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Overpaying because "well I have all this money lying around" or "well no one else is going to take it" rarely is a good idea.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Just say fake news lebron
It's a part of the language now

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/thebiglead/status/889902852679888897

Somebody listen to this for me plz

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Stephen A is really mad that Lebron does not like him

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Overpaying because "well I have all this money lying around" or "well no one else is going to take it" rarely is a good idea.

Allen Crabbe at a pro owner price was not available tho

He's going to play even start probably and shoot over 40% from 3

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

WhyteRyce posted:

Plus they could still spend that money on a dude that has a chance of living up to his contract, helping them win now and creating a better asset for the future

I'm almost certain nobody's going to want to trade for Crabbe before his deal is up

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why would they trade him? They got him to play him.

Also what 40%+ 3p wings are available ?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
e: whoops wrong thread.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

That sucks. I like Brandon Knight and wish he could get somewhere that he could play.

The Pels will once again return to the well of picking up injury prone players for him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/889919630118187009

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The inability to move Crabbe matters because you are committing to three years of Allen Crabbe at $8-10 million over his market value. A lot can change in three years, and I think you probably want your non-elite role players to be relatively fungible assets when you're building a roster

And there are a good number of shooters who can hit from 40%+ if they can get away with being relatively low-volume. They'll probably be worse than Crabbe, but they'll also be way way better values. A guy like McDermott shouldn't be making $15 million just because he can shoot

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

A lot can change in three years OTOH when do the Nets even have their own first round pick again?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It seems like the realistic upside of this deal is the Nets win a couple extra games and get to go "well, it didn't really matter that we were significantly overpaying him"

Which to me is not worth taking on a contract that stands out as Notably Bad even among the 2016 spending frenzy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm on my phone but crabbe was far from the most pro player 2016 contracts

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here I'll pick a few

TIMOFEY MOZGOV: 4 years, $64 million with Lakers
ANDRE DRUMMOND: 5 years, $130 million with Pistons
JORDAN CLARKSON: 4 years, $50 million with Lakers
CHANDLER PARSONS: 4 years, $94 million with Grizzlies
EVAN TURNER: 4 years, $70 million with Blazers
DWIGHT HOWARD: 3 years, $70 million with Hawks
JOAKIM NOAH: 4 years, $72 million with Knicks !!!!!!!!!!!!!
KENT BAZEMORE: 4 years, $70 million with Hawks

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Nets don't have a pick for a year, and realistically won't be any good for 4-5 years.

Nets should be trading their cap space for assets and guys on rookie deals, then they should be taking flyer on young guys who might pan out, and if they don't they are not really going to prevent anything else from happening.

From where I sit Brooklyn is doing exactly that.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

15+ minute rant whose main argument is "LeBron James doesn't like me therefore his denial of the ridiculous thing I said about him yesterday couldn't be true."

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
oh also he says "Philanthroper" instead of "Philanthropist"

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

EvanTH posted:

oh also he says "Philanthroper" instead of "Philanthropist"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyHD-Ii5WiQ

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

Nets don't have a pick for a year, and realistically won't be any good for 4-5 years.

Nets should be trading their cap space for assets and guys on rookie deals, then they should be taking flyer on young guys who might pan out, and if they don't they are not really going to prevent anything else from happening.

Crabbe isn't good and will likely never pan out because he doesn't have the athleticism to be a good defender or score off the dribble. I'm all about using the cap space to acquire assets and picks, but Crabbe is just a waste of cap space that could be used for just that purpose. If they want to just take flyers on guys, make an offer to Mirotic who is better right now and has the potential to get better based on his skillset. Heck, even using it on Noel feels better.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lockback posted:

I guess I'm just more down on Crabbe on that contract in that situation than most people, because I definitely think this type of move makes sense for the Nets

I would just be surprised if they couldn't find a better use of $18+ million in cap space than Allen Crabbe, especially with the market as frigid as it is this year. Why go after someone signed in a free-spending cap environment who didn't live up to expectations when so many guys are still available? Do they not have the luxury of waiting out a few more offer sheets this summer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
But they want that mid 1st rounder..

maybe he could explode again on a contract year and they can dump him for another pick.

then again, to save Paul allen 48m, maybe they should have gotten more.

Femur fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 26, 2017

• Locked thread