Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Time to bounce back and rejoin the Merchants. We should still prepare against the alliance against us even as we pump up the colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
I'm a bit late, but :siren:faction reshuffling is now closed!:siren: The New Taifas have lost their mandate and fallen to become the smallest faction, so it doesn't look like there'll be too many continental wars anytime soon. The League of Merchants have risen to become the dominating faction, though the surprisingly-sizeable Jizrunid Loyalists aren't far behind.

- 7 - Luhood, Lord Cyrahzax, RZApublican, Rodyle, Hitlers Gay Secret, catlord, Frionnel.

- 8 - Mountaineer, AJ_Impy, Chatrapati, Picard Day, Ralepozozaxe, Velius, Vinny Possum, tunapirate.

- 19 - Ikasuhito, Soup du Jour, Dance Officer, GunnerJ, Captain Oblivious, Mikl, ZearothK, Camoes, paragon1, Talas, Wyvernil, everydayfalls, WilliamAnderson, The Bold Kobold, Rubix Squid, Technowolf, Yvonmukluk, the JJ, Aeromancia.

- 14 - HiHo ChiRho, Erwin the German, Slaan, Zakrelo, Snipee, unwantedplatypus, Odysseus S. Grant, ThatBasqueGuy, Flavius Belisarius, Crazycryodude, mcclay, Mountaineer, gbuchold, Cerebral Bore.

With the reshuffling over and done with, it's time for a new policy session.

---

Policy Session

For more information on policies, available buildings and diplomatic actions, click here, and scroll beneath the chapter list.

Policy Restrictions

The League of Merchants can submit two policies, the Jizrunid Loyalists one, the Ulema one, and the New Taifas one.

The League of Merchants are the dominant faction, so they will have no restrictions to their policies, except for those that apply to other factions. The League of Merchants may declare colonial wars.

The Jizrunid Loyalists are the second-largest faction, so there'll very likely be a marked increase in Absolutism over the next few years, along with increased tensions between the Sultan and other factions in the Majlis (also, depending on how things progress, there may be government changes).

The Ulema are the third-largest faction, so they are now small enough that no province conversion can take place, through policies or otherwise. The only way to see any provinces converted is through coalitions.

The New Taifas are the smallest faction, which means all offensive conquest wars are forbidden, through policies or otherwise. Wars to vassalise states are still allowed, but any conquest will have to be done through coalitions.

Also, no policies can include the moving of the current capital, Cádiz.

Coalitions

What are coalitions?

Basically a way for smaller factions to band together and force issues through the Majlis. A coalition works when two factions agree to submit a single policy. So, for example, say the Ulema submit a policy to convert a certain province to Islam, and a bunch of New Taifas agree to use their votes to support it. If that policy gains the most votes from both the Ulema and the Loyalists, then it will be passed.

There are no restrictions on coalition policies, no matter what faction is in power. The Ruling Faction, however, cannot form any coalitions at all.

Buildings

The Star Fortress (upgrade from Bastion Fortress) and University have just been unlocked. Also, a reminder that Trade Depots (upgrade from marketplace) and Training Fields (upgrade from barracks) have also been recently unlocked.

For more information on available buildings and their effects, click here.

State of Affairs

Government: Reformed Taifa System (power split between the Sultan and Majlis)
Ruling Faction: The League of Merchants
Permitted Factions: The Jizrunid Loyalists, the Ulema, the New Taifas
Rivals: France, Morocco, Celtic Empire
Alliances: Tunis, Provence, Palermo, Bavaria
Subjects: Zuwawi
Other Pacts: none
Diplomatic slots: 5/5
Treasury: 360 gold
Current net income: 20 gold/month

---

With that done, the floor is now open for policies. Here are the icon links:

code:

New Taifas: [img]https://lpix.org/2786920/Taifas.png[/img]

Ulama: [img]https://lpix.org/2786921/Ulama.png[/img]

League of Merchants: [img]https://lpix.org/2786922/Merchants.png[/img]

Jizrunid Loyalists: [img]https://lpix.org/2813544/Loyalists.png[/img]

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Proposing the Panamanian Control Act, mandating that we colonize or conquer the lands that once fell under our control at the southern end of America, before the French set our settlements ablaze. America is our continent, especially that region.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Proposing the It Was Just Laying Around Act: Conquer the colonies that have rebelled from Morocco.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Proposing The SEAconquista. Vassalize Sardinia by force, butter them up a little with diplomacy, marriage, maybe a little dosh, then force convert them once they like us more. The Mediterranean will belong to Muslim powers only, as will it's trade.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Also, another idea group was just unlocked, but I held off on actually picking one because I figured it wouldn't be so clear-cut as "largest faction wins all" with an absolutist sultan. Here's our current ideas:

And this is what's available:

Religious ideas is off the table, for obvious reasons.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 25, 2017

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Merchants ought to fold trade ideas into their proposal no matter what else we decide.

E: a loyalist/ulema coalition getting more conversions would be in character for the zealous sultan.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Proposing the It Was Just Laying Around Act: Conquer the colonies that have rebelled from Morocco.

If the parliamentarian will allow I propose we extend this to include current Moroccan colonies and exclude colonies that might lead us into a war with the Celts.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Proposing the Bazaar of the Bizarre act: Build trade depots and/or marketplaces in the provinces with our most valuable trade goods.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
/

Proposing a Coalition motion: Death to All Infidels.

*Convert everyone not currently a true Sunni to the faith of our beloved Sultan, to suppress revolts.
*Pounce on one of our rivals when they are isolated and weak, and when we have the manpower and resources to do so. In specific:
-If Morocco or France become involved in a war or rebellion, Al-Andalus will immediately declare war.
-The war goals against Morocco are the seizure of Tangiers, and then as much adjoining territory as possible.
-Against France, it is their removal from the Mediterranean by whatever means necessary and possible without directly taking territory for Al-Andalus.
-Moroccan intervention takes priority over French.

Additional submissions will be considered, and added in if need be. What one cannot achieve, the many can.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 26, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

/

*Convert everyone not currently a true Sunni to the faith of our beloved Sultan, to suppress revolts.
*Pounce on one of our rivals when they are isolated and weak, and when we have the manpower and resources to do so.

Additional submissions will be considered, and added in if need be. What one cannot achieve, the many can.

If Morocco isn't on the table here, there's nothing to discuss. Islam at home, empire abroad.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

I, Dansar Rabb al'Ustul, propose the Continued Made in al Andalus act. Manufactories and workshops are to be built in all provinces in the Sevilla trade node. Other buildings, except for fortifications, may be destroyed to make place.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

If Morocco isn't on the table here, there's nothing to discuss. Islam at home, empire abroad.

Morocco is one of our Rivals unless I misremember, so they should be on the table as we want them to be.

EDIT:
In all my haste I forgot to vote...

AJ_Impy posted:

/

*Pounce on one of our rivals when they are isolated and weak, and when we have the manpower and resources to do so.

This looks like an intriguing proposal, and while I personally do think acknowledging them is more appropriate than force-converting them I also see the need of compromise if we want to get our stuff through.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Proposing another extension of the Made in Al-Andalus Act

Production is king, and we've still got time to game the institution spawn. I'd rather see the merchants using their policy slots on ideas or more colonies (Asia/Africa are looking woefully under-exploited), let us Loyalists look after the home front.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 26, 2017

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

Production is king, and we've still got time to game the institution spawn. I'd rather see the merchants using their policy slots on ideas or more colonies (Asia/Africa are looking woefully under-exploited), let us Loyalists look after the home front.

Second!

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Proposing the Madressa Expansion Act:

• Build Mosques and Universities in as many places as possible
  • Take Administrative Ideas
  • Focus on advancing Humanist Ideas (I think this will help stop unrest/rebellions? I don't know the mechanics)

Let's focus on the traditions of learning and knowledge embedded in our faith. Let the Sultan and the Loyalists spread Islam by the sword, we of the Ulema shall spread it by the book...

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Taifas duty is, first and foremost, to the military, and certainly NOT to any projects by mad imams seeking to attack our Dhimmi. Such proposals offer nothing for us and quite the opposite actually run counter to our security goals.

Professional Practice Logistics Act
The Sultan is obligated to ensure that:
1. Our fortresses along the Pyrenees are reinforced as heavily as possible.
2. That constructions and decisions to increase and maintain our manpower continue.
3. And that our defense alliances be kept intact.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Is that the best the Taifas can do? If the Ulema wants to make our subjects feel a little more Andalusian, why not let them? We need Tangiers more than we need Christian rebels!

Edit-Endorsement withdrawn, for now.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 26, 2017

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

I propose the Absolute Freedom Act removing all historic limits on our Sultan's powers to govern as he wished. Practically, this act will serve as legislative cover for any of the Sultan's future actions that might conflict with previously established norms (such as the older traditions of tolerance for Christians) or outdated taboos against our sovereign's efforts for the centralization of power (any de facto restrictions on the monarch from supposedly "infringing" on the "rights" of our bloated aristocracy or of the spoiled children living in our freewheeling colonies).

I am NOT proposing to negate any currently pending policy proposals that will be passed during this session. I only want to make it more narratively plausible for the Sultan to chart his own path away free of the shackles of history.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Is that the best the Taifas can do? If the Ulema wants to make our subjects feel a little more Andalusian, why not let them? We need Tangiers more than we need Christian rebels!

We do need Tangiers, and letting our army waste away while we help the Ulema cause trouble is how we will fail to get it when we take back power. Steady, careful military maintenance is how we have conducted ourselves in past minorities, and it paid off in spades once we got that power back! Let the others ruin our country on their own, while we prepare to fix it again.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 26, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Rodyle posted:

We do need Tangiers, and letting our army waste away while we help the Ulema cause trouble is how we get it when we take back power. Steady, careful military maintenance is how we have conducted ourselves in past minorities, and it paid off in spades once we got that power back!

Redundant proclamations like that make us impotent! The Ulema is offering help further our real goals, in exchange only for the chance to convert a few heretics and heathens. Let them give it their all! Succeed or not, the Moroccan campaign is back on the books.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

And how are they helping us? "Pounce on our rivals" they say. Which rivals? To what end?

If they want to us to aid their disruptive activity then they should at least offer us, in precise terms, our desired pieces of Morocco and the breakup of France (giving pieces of land to Germans, Provence, etc), depending on what wars we find ourselves in

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

paragon1 posted:

I sponsor this.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I'll never help out the Ulema in their conversion efforts. And that war proposal is just wayyy too vague, it could easily lead to a blunder. Therefore might as well support Rodyle's act.

Rodyle posted:

The Taifas duty is, first and foremost, to the military, and certainly NOT to any projects by mad imams seeking to attack our Dhimmi. Such proposals offer nothing for us and quite the opposite actually run counter to our security goals.

Professional Practice Logistics Act
The Sultan is obligated to ensure that:
1. Our fortresses along the Pyrenees are reinforced as heavily as possible.
2. That constructions and decisions to increase and maintain our manpower continue.
3. And that our defense alliances be kept intact.

Supporting.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Rodyle posted:

And how are they helping us? "Pounce on our rivals" they say. Which rivals? To what end?

If they want to us to aid their disruptive activity then they should at least offer us, in precise terms, our desired pieces of Morocco and the breakup of France (giving pieces of land to Germans, Provence, etc), depending on what wars we find ourselves in

True enough. Fine, I'm withdrawing my endorsement until the following changes are made to the proposal:

-If Morocco or France become involved in a war or rebellion, Al-Andalus will immediately declare war.
-The war goals against Morocco are the seizure of Tangiers, and then as much adjoining territory as possible.
-Against France, it is their removal from the Mediterranean by whatever means necessary and possible without directly taking territory for Al-Andalus.
-Moroccan intervention takes priority over French.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 26, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Rodyle posted:

We can't take turf while out of power.

Right, totally forgot that. My bad.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The subjugated nations point begs some questions. I'm not even sure what tags exist under France in vanilla, much less the mod. Could we break off Aquitaine and give what's left of southern Burgundy to Provence? That would simultaneously cut France off from our borders and the Med and might very well be worth putting off Tangiers for. If we can't do that, then the focus should be in gutting Morocco for her coast and her colonies.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Rodyle posted:

The subjugated nations point begs some questions. I'm not even sure what tags exist under France in vanilla, much less the mod. Could we break off Aquitaine and give what's left of southern Burgundy to Provence? That would simultaneously cut France off from our borders and the Med and might very well be worth putting off Tangiers for. If we can't do that, then the focus should be in gutting Morocco for her coast and her colonies.

I'll change it to pushing the French off the Mediterranean by whatever means necessary without taking territory for ourselves.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

the JJ posted:

If the parliamentarian will allow I propose we extend this to include current Moroccan colonies and exclude colonies that might lead us into a war with the Celts.

Absolutely not. This is not a bill for war with Morocco. If I intended a direct confrontation with Morocco I would just propose declaring war on them. In fact, taking newly independent colonies under this act should in no circumstances be allowed to draw us into war with another European power.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Too bad the New Taifas aren't in charge. I think we're due for a military idea set. Well, there's always coalitions, so let's so if this works out!

/

Proposing the More Men for the Sultan's Army Coalition

I think both our factions share an interest in building our nation's military strength. In previous wars our weakness was running out of manpower, forcing the Sultan to hire mercenaries and take on massive debts to defend the nation. We can solve this problem by adopting Quantity Ideas to bolster the size of our army.
Amendment: While this likely goes without saying, the money thus saved by reducing the cost of our military should instead be put toward the economic and cultural development of Al-Andalus.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 26, 2017

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Mountaineer posted:

Too bad the New Taifas aren't in charge. I think we're due for a military idea set. Well, there's always coalitions, so let's so if this works out!

/

I think both our factions share an interest in building our nation's military strength. In previous wars our weakness was running out of manpower, forcing the Sultan to hire mercenaries and take on massive debts to defend the nation. We can solve this problem by adopting Quantity Ideas to bolster the size of our army.

Agreed. We should increase the size of our military so that the Sultan may spread the word of Allah easier to the misguided fools in France and the poor heathens in North America

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

I, Emir Flavius al-Belisarius, who is totally not a Roman, propose the Father Cares for Children Act. I encourage the council to yield authority to our beloved Sultan, long may he reign, to focus on improving the prosperity of Greater al-Andalus within the borders his wise father declared to be our charge in the eyes of the Prophet. Let us leave Morocco for the dogs and France to give itself away. We finally have Iberia for ourselves. Let us let our Sultan focus his benevolent hand on it.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

paragon1 posted:

Supporting this!

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

Mountaineer posted:

/

Support

(I'd like to support something with farther reaching power for the sultan, but unless something more suitable is proposed, I believe supporting this is healthiest for Al-Andalus.)

Snipee posted:

I propose the Absolute Freedom Act removing all historic limits on our Sultan's powers to govern as he wished. Practically, this act will serve as legislative cover for any of the Sultan's future actions that might conflict with previously established norms (such as the older traditions of tolerance for Christians) or outdated taboos against our sovereign's efforts for the centralization of power (any de facto restrictions on the monarch from supposedly "infringing" on the "rights" of our bloated aristocracy or of the spoiled children living in our freewheeling colonies).

I am NOT proposing to negate any currently pending policy proposals that will be passed during this session. I only want to make it more narratively plausible for the Sultan to chart his own path away free of the shackles of history.

I like the intention of this act, but is it even legal to propose, and would it be useful considering policies only last one session according to the rules?

Zakrelo fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 26, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Technowolf posted:

Proposing the Bazaar of the Bizarre act: Build trade depots and/or marketplaces in the provinces with our most valuable trade goods.

Supporting.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

paragon1 posted:

Gotta be honest, this sounds like a thousand times more trouble that it's worth. They rebelled for a reason, they'll just be a headache to us.

If we have to act like Taifas with one of our policies, make it the Panamanian one, folks.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Were their Carribean holdings among the colonies that rebelled? Because if so why aren't we obsessing over that

The Carribean trade node is out economic backbone. We should be striving to fortify our control over it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GunnerJ posted:

Gotta be honest, this sounds like a thousand times more trouble that it's worth. They rebelled for a reason, they'll just be a headache to us.

If we have to act like Taifas with one of our policies, make it the Panamanian one, folks.

Suggesting we can't control colonies better than Morocco smdh.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Crazycryodude posted:

This, but make sure the Sultan is the owner of these new manufactories, fluffwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

GunnerJ posted:

They rebelled because they're strong in comparison to morocco or because the AI drove up tariffs way too high. None of these are a problem for us.