Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

https://youtu.be/ouNsARPNHLI

I like this comparison because I'm sure it's not scientific in any way but it makes it look like my choice of Milwaukee was just fine, just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Krakkles posted:

I have the M12 3/8" impact and love it. It does most things on vehicles - seatbelt bolts, lugnuts, even some suspension bolts. It won't touch a crank pulley, but you really need the 1/2" M18 for those.

I too have an M12 3/8" Fuel impact. I am very impressed. It replaced a XRP 1/2" midsized 18V. This guy with the massive battery. https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/122574638448_/Dewalt-DC820-18V-1-2-Cordless-Impact-Wrench-18.jpg

The M12 is maybe 30ft-lbs down on the DeWalt. 117 vs 150. But it zips off 80ft-lb nuts no problem. And it's TINY compared to the DeWalt. So it actually fits in my trackside toolbag that actually has other stuff in it. I did have a problem with a friends wheels where the adapter + socket sucked up enough of the impact torque for it to get defeated. But for my use where it's socket to fastener with no extension, it works great.

The M12 stuff is what I take to the track. And the DeWalt 20v stuff is what I keep at home. M12 Fuel drill/impact/ratchet is a pretty handy rear end combo at the track. I bring the mini Sawzall and dremel juuuust in case. (And mostly because there's all that extra space in the bag now that I leave the DC820 at home)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had the giant Milwaukee impact and returned it for the compact, which still has 200-ish ft lbs of torque but is waaaay easier to get into small spaces. I got the 3/8 one cause I was doing a project where the smaller sockets were handy but I think I'd be better off with the 1/2 version now. In any case it's had plenty of power to get lugs off my car after a season of winter salt.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have DeWalt 20v stuff and I'm happy with it. I ended up with DeWalt because Amazon had a gold box for ~$250 with 4 tools. Any of the major "500ft/lb" 1/2" (Makita, DeWalt, Milwaulkee, Ingersol) 18v/20v stuff will destroy bolts.

Milwualkee has some nice tools like the 12v power ratchet that no one else does. Makita makes the best ~500+lb 18v impact, but they're all such a huge step up.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Whoops, wrong tool thread

rally fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 25, 2017

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Wrar posted:

I have DeWalt 20v stuff and I'm happy with it. I ended up with DeWalt because Amazon had a gold box for ~$250 with 4 tools. Any of the major "500ft/lb" 1/2" (Makita, DeWalt, Milwaulkee, Ingersol) 18v/20v stuff will destroy bolts.

Milwualkee has some nice tools like the 12v power ratchet that no one else does. Makita makes the best ~500+lb 18v impact, but they're all such a huge step up.

https://smile.amazon.com/Makita-XWT08Z-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless/dp/B01CA04RH4

740 ftlbs, 780 in 3/4 drive. LO-loving-L

I've got the 210ftlb 1/2 drive 3-speed model, and it's so much easier than my Aircat 1150 or Earthquake gun.

Also, AvE is entertainment, full stop. His reviews are often ridiculously uninformed, or nitpicky about useless bullshit. I love his stuff because it's funny, not because it's accurate.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sharkytm posted:

Also, AvE is entertainment, full stop. His reviews are often ridiculously uninformed, or nitpicky about useless bullshit. I love his stuff because it's funny, not because it's accurate.

His teardowns are excellent. It's been interesting to see him progress in his knowledge (from the :lol: not knowing what a mold time stamp is to now has been a huge improvement). Some of his machining things are interesting, too. But when he goes out of his lane, it's cringeworthy.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
As someone in the power tool industry, torque measurements on impacts are iffy. (There's day to day variability in the measurements on the same tool with the same air pressure at the inlet) There are a lot of variables. Most competitor tools I bring in to have tested fall sort of their claimed torque on our skidmore. A lot of shenanigans are played to make sure your skidmore numbers are high. I don't know the electric market very well, but in pneumatics, a lot of the big name tools come out of the same few Asian factories. The tool industry is very incestious. Atlas released a new grinder maybe a year ago and many of the Asian brands are already making duplicates and many of the other brands are licensing modified version of those knock offs. I was once at a trade show and one of the suppliers was talking about (not knowing who I was with) how their grinder had interchangeable parts with ours.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Seminal Flu posted:

His teardowns are excellent. It's been interesting to see him progress in his knowledge (from the :lol: not knowing what a mold time stamp is to now has been a huge improvement). Some of his machining things are interesting, too. But when he goes out of his lane, it's cringeworthy.

And to be fair, he owns up to his mistakes and doesn't take himself too seriously. Of course you're going to be wrong from time to time when you have a couple of hundreds of thousands of tech nerds picking apart your one-man-show garage vids.

I particularly liked his Juicero teardown.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Sadi posted:

As someone in the power tool industry, torque measurements on impacts are iffy. (There's day to day variability in the measurements on the same tool with the same air pressure at the inlet) There are a lot of variables. Most competitor tools I bring in to have tested fall sort of their claimed torque on our skidmore. A lot of shenanigans are played to make sure your skidmore numbers are high. I don't know the electric market very well, but in pneumatics, a lot of the big name tools come out of the same few Asian factories. The tool industry is very incestious. Atlas released a new grinder maybe a year ago and many of the Asian brands are already making duplicates and many of the other brands are licensing modified version of those knock offs. I was once at a trade show and one of the suppliers was talking about (not knowing who I was with) how their grinder had interchangeable parts with ours.

My favorite part is I swear he has a set of Rockwell files, but only had them out a few times at most. Otherwise its this 14" bastard hmm yep she's hardened a shookum choocher

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

He's probably playing to his audience. If only a small number of his viewers are even aware that materials can be hard/soft let alone have differing levels then why bother doing more than hitting it with a standard file

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I'm of the opinion, even with Rockwell files, you're only going to ball park it. If you have an actual tester you can clearly tell the hardness, but even then it's only telling you part of the material properties story. I'd say his use of some random beater of a file is probably good enough for the girls he goes out with.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bolind posted:

I particularly liked his Juicero teardown.

I'm still in awe of that thing; They must cost two-grand to build. Simply amazing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrYenko posted:

I'm still in awe of that thing; They must cost two-grand to build. Simply amazing.

they recently announced they will be selling them for "only" 200

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrYenko posted:

BraveUlysses posted:

they recently announced they will be selling them for "only" 200
There's an apocryphal story about an American film star in the 1960s contacting Aston Martin and saying they wanted to buy a car, but seeing as they're so famous, and would be seen by all the right people driving it, it'd be good advertising, and they should be allowed to pay cost price.

"Oh, that's jolly nice of you." says the man from Aston "Most people pay a lot less than that".

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Sadi posted:

I'm of the opinion, even with Rockwell files, you're only going to ball park it. If you have an actual tester you can clearly tell the hardness, but even then it's only telling you part of the material properties story. I'd say his use of some random beater of a file is probably good enough for the girls he goes out with.

I quit a good paying job over this. Rockwell files, the little ball bounce testers, even the fancy digital one we had only told surface hardness. The problems came when the case hardness wasn't deep enough, and the only way to test that was to destroy a finished part which they refused to do, instead just blaming customers when poo poo failed under normal conditions.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rdb posted:

I quit a good paying job over this. Rockwell files, the little ball bounce testers, even the fancy digital one we had only told surface hardness. The problems came when the case hardness wasn't deep enough, and the only way to test that was to destroy a finished part which they refused to do, instead just blaming customers when poo poo failed under normal conditions.
Hah, some particularly awkward specs define hardness testing as a destructive test because they dont like the marks. Of course, the sensible approach is to then use those parts for actual destructive tests or lab cut-ups.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Its hard to convince management to do that when the roll cost $70,000 and had 6 months worth of man hours in fabrication and engraving. It was way more profitable to just say it was the customers fault and send me out to try and save face. gently caress that.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Does anyone here have any recommendations for a steam cleaner? I'm seeing $30 hand helds on Amazon and if they actually put out decent steam it could work for what I need (some sticky substance above the stove/vent on the cabinets and microwave), but I'd also be interested in using it on my garage projects. I just have a feeling like the $30 models are junk and the next level is vacuum-sized and over $100. I've used the big industrial version when wrenching and now I want it at home.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Whats the best quality:price cordless power drill on Amazon? Trying to drill into glass to make smoking devices, so getting a glass drill bit too

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Is there any particular reason to go cordless? If cost is a driving factor, a corded drill is far cheaper.

I've never drilled glass, but it strikes me as something that would chew through batteries?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

El Jebus posted:

Does anyone here have any recommendations for a steam cleaner? I'm seeing $30 hand helds on Amazon and if they actually put out decent steam it could work for what I need (some sticky substance above the stove/vent on the cabinets and microwave), but I'd also be interested in using it on my garage projects. I just have a feeling like the $30 models are junk and the next level is vacuum-sized and over $100. I've used the big industrial version when wrenching and now I want it at home.

I never have used a handheld one, but I picked up the harbor freight one and it's worked great. Plenty of steam, seems sturdy. Make sure to pick up a coupon.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Drilling glass is less about using a poo poo-ton of torque, and more about applying EXTREMELY even pressure, completely perpendicular to the work, and letting the tool work. I've drilled a couple of aquariums; It's tedious, and can be nerve-wracking, but it's not particularly hard.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It's not cordless or handheld, but the Wen drill press for $82 on Amazon will be a lot steadier than your hand.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

El Jebus posted:

i've got a wagner one at home that i use to clean stuff like grout on floors and it's good for that kind of stuff. not sure about garage use but it was about 100 bucks.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I'm thinking of cancelling my annual Vegas trip in lieu of getting an M18 fuel hammer drill/impact driver combo set & the 1/2" impact; I figure I might as well go all the way if I'm gonna start in on the cordless. I don't usually splash this much on tools in one go, is there a buying strategy I should use? Is it likely that they will ditch and subsequently discount the non-onekey models?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I'm thinking of cancelling my annual Vegas trip in lieu of getting an M18 fuel hammer drill/impact driver combo set & the 1/2" impact; I figure I might as well go all the way if I'm gonna start in on the cordless. I don't usually splash this much on tools in one go, is there a buying strategy I should use? Is it likely that they will ditch and subsequently discount the non-onekey models?

I had the same thought, but it seems like one-key is intended as a new product tier, so there haven't really been discounts.

The hammer drill combo might go on sale if you wait for a major holiday. The 1/2" impact probably won't. CPOMilwaukee sometimes has interesting promos with free tools or batteries.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
theres a deals thread on garagejournal just for milwaukee power tools and in that thread you can find a lot of good deals but the best ones are from a buy/sell/trade tool group on facebook where there's a guy who does drop shipments at crazy discounts

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I had good luck getting the bare tool from eBay. I paid about what a tool, charger, and smaller battery would cost for the same except two larger batteries.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Good call- gently caress spending money in that shithole.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
See, the thing is I really do love driving there via Monitor pass, the 395, and Death Valley. It's just once I get there, the allure fades.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The easy solution is to go to vegas and gamble so you can win the money to buy the tools.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

The easy solution is to go to vegas and gamble so you can win the money to buy the tools. then drive back home.

That's better.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I live here and need your sweet tourist dollars. Tia

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My dad's spotted that Lidl are selling 1T chain hoists for £20, if any UK goons are in need of one.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

My dad's spotted that Lidl are selling 1T chain hoists for £20, if any UK goons are in need of one.

I feel that there is a 'your mum' joke in there, but I don't want to make it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Lightning deal sale on Goodyear branded 12 ga 40' retractable extension cord. 50 bux off, less than 30 minutes remaining:

Goodyear Extension Cord Reel Heavy Duty, 40 ft., 12AWG/3C SJTOW, Triple Tap with LED Lighted Connector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFA35TG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_XNIGzbR65JM9K

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

I feel that there is a 'your mum' joke in there, but I don't want to make it.
Just like my mum, I didn't see them in my local Lidl.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Okay tool thread, help me decide what to buy because I'm being completely indecisive. Want to pick up some tools to work on my car, so I primarily need metric tools. But I cannot make up my mind if I should just buy a large tool kit like Crescent 170 piece kit or something similar from harbor freight OR just buy smaller pieces as I go along with what projects I am currently working on. My only issue with the last option is... what IF I need a certain tool right then and there but I don't have it but could have had it if I went with a bigger kit!

tl;dr - help me buy baby's first automotive tools.

For my first project of installing a short shifter, I will be needing the following:

3/8 drive ratchet
12 inch extension in 3/8 drive size
13mm short socket in 3/8 drive size
Vice grips or channel lock
3/8 box end wrench
4mm, 5mm, 6mm allen sockets
Two Jaw puller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Buy a giant set. It's cheaper than buying piecemeal and you get a nice case to store it in. Upgrade and add as needed.