Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I just saw GW is releasing Talisman again. Wonder if they will be using the same manufacturer or if they had to go somewhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

djfooboo posted:

I just saw GW is releasing Talisman again. Wonder if they will be using the same manufacturer or if they had to go somewhere else?

Like General Mills?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Like General Mills?

This is the best joke in the history of this thread.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

malkav11 posted:

FFG has the boardgame license. Probably exclusively. I'm guessing they didn't bother to secure the miniatures license though.

Yep. Because at the time of the original licensing negotiation, FFG didn't do any miniatures games. I believe that license extends from the days of the old Game of Thrones CCG, and Fantasy Flight at the time didn't see itself as a miniatures company. (Probably by intent, since FFG picked up licenses for Games Workshop properties back in 2005, and FFG likely didn't want to position themselves as a miniatures competitor, given then-GW's obsession with non-competition.)

Though FFG was involved for a time in the distribution of DUST Tactics, they didn't really experiment with the miniatures market themselves until X-Wing in 2012.

For the record, HBO's Game of Thrones series premiered the year before, in 2011. So the licensing value of the property was probably a wee bit pricier than the 2002 board and card license. And with less foreseeable return compared to the dosh they dropped on the Star Wars miniature license.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Order for Inis has been placed. I was going to pick up the combo of Diamant and Flamme Rouge as lighter options, but everywhere in Australia appears to have sold out of the latter for now, so it's time for Inis instead :getin:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

Like General Mills?

Meta as gently caress

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

PerniciousKnid posted:

Like General Mills?

Voted 5. Please close thread.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I found a copy of Millenium blades at a reasonable price and am going to get it to the table Saturday (yay!). Is the best decks for the first game those recommended in the rulebook, or has play-testing revealed something something better?

The players are generally fairly smart/quick to learn, familiar with 'heavy' games and prefer more interactive games. The other games that are competing for playtime are food chain magnate (with has displaced agricola as the economic game of choice as more interactive) and gloomhaven. 3 of the 5 have played, so I was thinking skew more interactive with something like:

Expansion:

Fists of Steel
Samurai Mowdown
Black Flags Black Waters
1001 Nights
Sunset Striders

4 Premium:

Underlords of Metropolitan
Xeno X-Over
AD 2400
Cards Magica

3 Master:

Vex: Cards of Hate
Mechanical Numerial Muster
James Bomb 006+1

But I'm very open to ideas or just being told I am an idiot and play the suggested configuration.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Crackbone posted:

At this point it's pretty much Gloomhaven with Descent/ImpAss as a distant second place isn't it?

Gloomhaven's raved about, Descent has the app for 'endless' content, and ImpAss is good system with scifi theme.

Actually, looking back on this. Is there a game I should look for along the same lines as Descent/ImpAss?

ie, Campaign, can be played over several sessions, has minis?

Is Mage Knight one of those? Another friend may be getting Sword & Sorcery, but trying to get something to bring to the table for next time. So far I've only got the previous choices I've listed, but would like suggestions.

EDIT: As far as ImpAss goes, I have Doom 2016, which is the same in combat system with a few adjustments; I've played it a few times and it doesn't seem to play well with people as there are just too many weird/conflicting rules that are to look up in the word salad that is the rulebook.

Additionally, I've played the TMNT:Shadows of the Past game, and while again, the same system, as ImpAss, suffers from the same issue as Doom 2016, albeit MUCH MUCH worse. The word salad has downgraded into word vomit, and is just pure cancer.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I found a copy of Millenium blades at a reasonable price and am going to get it to the table Saturday (yay!). Is the best decks for the first game those recommended in the rulebook, or has play-testing revealed something something better?

The players are generally fairly smart/quick to learn, familiar with 'heavy' games and prefer more interactive games. The other games that are competing for playtime are food chain magnate (with has displaced agricola as the economic game of choice as more interactive) and gloomhaven. 3 of the 5 have played, so I was thinking skew more interactive with something like:

Expansion:

Fists of Steel
Samurai Mowdown
Black Flags Black Waters
1001 Nights
Sunset Striders

4 Premium:

Xeno X-Over
AD 2400
Cards Magica

3 Master:

James Bomb 006+1

But I'm very open to ideas or just being told I am an idiot and play the suggested configuration.

The base store deck is really simple and plays like a really long tutorial IMO. It's not bad, but the game get's way more interesting with different sets.

kinkouin posted:

Actually, looking back on this. Is there a game I should look for along the same lines as Descent/ImpAss?

Is Mage Knight one of those? Another friend may be getting Sword & Sorcery, but trying to get something to bring to the table for next time. So far I've only got the previous choices I've listed, but would like suggestions.

Check out Arcadia Quest. PvPvE, no DM required, campaign, stand alone scenarios, tons of minis, fun ameritrash dungeon crawler where each player has their own party of 3 heroes. It's the game that, along with Kemet, gets requested the most from my not-as-into-hobby-gaming-friends. Depth to sillyness would go Gloomhaven -> Descent -> Arcadia Quest, but if you like dungeon crawlers, they're unique enough to enjoy all three.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 26, 2017

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

kinkouin posted:

Mage Knight is not one of these. MK is a single session randomly-generated conquer-em-up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
http://www.clevermovegames.com/2016/01/27/how-to-teach-board-games-a-better-way/

This is an article outlining the same technique I use for teaching games. Basically explain the theme, how you win, and work backwards from there. Explain what scores points, how mechanics work, and everything else but in the context of how it pushes players towards achieving their goal in the game. An added benefit, other than being a very easy to follow funnel of information, is that it usually leaves players with an idea for their opening moves or strategies, since you went over early game last. That's another thing, I almost always try to give players a basic idea of simple but effective strategies when possible so they don't feel like their first game was a learning game where they didn't have much of a chance. I don't tell them specific moves or anything, just general things to watch for or try.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PerniciousKnid posted:

Like General Mills?

:eyepop:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

Rolling movement on a charge, very innovative rules!

why do people do this, indeed why was this idea first implemented

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

The base store deck is really simple and plays like a really long tutorial IMO. It's not bad, but the game get's way more interesting with different sets.

Does my proposed alternative look better?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

why do people do this, indeed why was this idea first implemented

It's a pretty simple idea from a design point. By adding a variable bonus to distance when attacking you create a risk/reward system. You can push an attack at a longer range than you could normally move but risk coming up short letting your opponent counter.

As to why people do it, well because everyone else does and thinking of a better method is work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

malkav11 posted:

FFG has the boardgame license. Probably exclusively. I'm guessing they didn't bother to secure the miniatures license though.

Battles of Westeros. Not tabletop, but absolutely minis.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Question for anyone in here who is a fan of neuroshima hex: would it be okay if I posted an idea I have for a faction I'm working on making at the moment? I'm curious and hoping to get some feedback. I know the dev supports people making fan factions to the point that a couple of the official expansions are straight up retail versions of fan expansions so I thought I'd take a crack at it and make something. I'm not sure if what I'm making sounds like it'd be fun to play or not, though, and also I don't know if this thread is fine with talking about that kinda stuff or if there's another thread I should take that kind of discussion to.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Try this thread, but let us know when you do.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

http://www.clevermovegames.com/2016/01/27/how-to-teach-board-games-a-better-way/

This is an article outlining the same technique I use for teaching games. Basically explain the theme, how you win, and work backwards from there. Explain what scores points, how mechanics work, and everything else but in the context of how it pushes players towards achieving their goal in the game. An added benefit, other than being a very easy to follow funnel of information, is that it usually leaves players with an idea for their opening moves or strategies, since you went over early game last. That's another thing, I almost always try to give players a basic idea of simple but effective strategies when possible so they don't feel like their first game was a learning game where they didn't have much of a chance. I don't tell them specific moves or anything, just general things to watch for or try.

Thanks for posting this. I'm always having to explain rules because I have the most games but am really bad at it. That's why I'm terrified of setting up games st GenCon because most of the goons that go have way more experience then me teaching games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

Try this thread, but let us know when you do.

Thank you! :) When I finish up writing the reference card with all the info, I'll be sure to let you all know :D

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I have not seen a single person say anything good about this GoT game but it has sold close to 4000 copies already. Brand recognition too strong

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

Because we play so many heavy games, I have to do more than this. While simply explaining the rules as this article suggests is good, the play session will go badly without additional explanation. It's important to understand how all the parts work together as well. Rule books leave this out, making for frustrating first sessions. 18xx as a theme is obvious to experienced 18xx players, but it's important to understand how all the parts of any given 18xx game fit together so that you don't end up with a bunch f players flailing in the middle of the game and regretting earlier choices because they didn't understand their effect. A lot of other heavy games have this issue as well.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Played New Angeles last night for the first time. I like the concept of the game as "some BSG mechanics distilled down to just the crisis resolution" and the Android world is pretty neat. Semi-coop game trying to wheel and deal with others to have people vote on your own agendas, while the entire group has to keep the board from being overrun or everyone can lose. There is also a (potential) traitor in the game who wins when everyone else loses as long as he is above a certain number of victory points.

For being a game based on negotiation, not too much of that came up in our first game. Everyone gets a secret rival, and multiple players can win at the end of 6 rounds as long as they have more VPs than their rival. However, if you pick up your own rival card you just have to be above 2 others on the VP track at the end of the game. 3 of the 4 players had their own rival cards, and the fourth was the traitor. Though you can trade VPs with others to sweeten deals, there wasn't much of this going on since no one was trying to beat a single other player. The traitor ended up winning on the last round which was pretty intense and exciting.

The game was also probably too long for what it is. The learning game ended up being about 4.5 hours. I would play it again with a more cutthroat group, but I don't think I would pick this one up for myself.

On an unrelated note, how does Game of Thrones The Board Game 2nd Edition hold up these days?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kashuno posted:

I have not seen a single person say anything good about this GoT game but it has sold close to 4000 copies already. Brand recognition too strong

It has minis

This sells a lot of games that are trash

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kashuno posted:

It's pretty funny to see on the BGG facebook group. You have the two sides who love the GRR/CMON brands and the ones who see it as just a runewars+warhammer magic mashup that doesn't sound very good. Can't wait for next year to see how people will defend it, much like they already do with KDM now.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Radioactive Toy posted:

Played New Angeles last night for the first time. I like the concept of the game as "some BSG mechanics distilled down to just the crisis resolution" and the Android world is pretty neat. Semi-coop game trying to wheel and deal with others to have people vote on your own agendas, while the entire group has to keep the board from being overrun or everyone can lose. There is also a (potential) traitor in the game who wins when everyone else loses as long as he is above a certain number of victory points.

For being a game based on negotiation, not too much of that came up in our first game. Everyone gets a secret rival, and multiple players can win at the end of 6 rounds as long as they have more VPs than their rival. However, if you pick up your own rival card you just have to be above 2 others on the VP track at the end of the game. 3 of the 4 players had their own rival cards, and the fourth was the traitor. Though you can trade VPs with others to sweeten deals, there wasn't much of this going on since no one was trying to beat a single other player. The traitor ended up winning on the last round which was pretty intense and exciting.

The game was also probably too long for what it is. The learning game ended up being about 4.5 hours. I would play it again with a more cutthroat group, but I don't think I would pick this one up for myself.

On an unrelated note, how does Game of Thrones The Board Game 2nd Edition hold up these days?

I actually played GoT 2nd Ed this weekend and had an okay time with it.

I would only play it with 6 players from now on because everyone needs to have that knife at their back that only 6p can provide. I purposefully took Greyjoy because they're a tougher family to start with thanks to inability to muster naturally. That said, the other person that took the green house in the south (Tyrell?) had never played before and she had no stars either. Anyway, it went fairly quick for a game with two people who had never played before but it's major drawback I think is still it's time to enjoyment ratio. I had to constantly be on referee/umpire duty of reminding people whose turn it was and resolving things in order. If I hadn't an already long game probably would have taken an extra 50% time.

Mechanics aside it's a fairly pretty and okay game minus why the gently caress did they design the siege weapons to look so similar to the knights? The hand management stuff is so critical and this game really rewards you making alliances with people and striking when you've got the advantage. If people aren't going to talk to each other or just play it as fantasy risk it's going to be a long slog. Also, if the random events at the end of every round are not distributed evenly there can be some extremely frustrating vote-buying rounds with people still broke from last round's shenanigans. Also, I was furious after finally managing to afford a star on the Raven track, the (Martel?) character in the south-east played a hero that got to re-arrange one of the influence tracks on me which was a giant kick in the nuts and seemed over powered for a game that is all about carefully saving and bidding on said influence tracks.

Also, under no circumstances should you play with the variant included that adds random card-based modifiers to a battle. It was bad and stupid and since most battles were typically close in strength, reduced nearly every conflict to a roll of the dice. Aggressively dumb idea only for pure masochists.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

On the topic of teaching games: I finally got Food Chain Magnate to the table the other night with my once-a-month group. Since it was the first time for everyone else, we decided to leave out the milestones. If you do this, make sure you also leave out salaries! I didn't think this was important until I realized we all were forced to slowly ramp up, building a large workforce and then leaving lots of people on the beach each turn. Training was always a risk and the bank took forever to break. No one hired any of the highest level employees (aside from one chef).

That said, everyone still loved it. I lost partly because I couldn't get the milestones out of my head. Even without them, it's a real brain burner.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Check out Arcadia Quest. PvPvE, no DM required, campaign, stand alone scenarios, tons of minis, fun ameritrash dungeon crawler where each player has their own party of 3 heroes. It's the game that, along with Kemet, gets requested the most from my not-as-into-hobby-gaming-friends. Depth to sillyness would go Gloomhaven -> Descent -> Arcadia Quest, but if you like dungeon crawlers, they're unique enough to enjoy all three.

I've tried Arcadia Quest. Hated it. I feel the dice could use some rebalancing (literally needs at least one side with attack/defense, imo) otherwise it can get EXTREMELY one-sided, really fast. Another in my group owns it but is on the fence about bringing it out.

However, you did hit the nail on the head, I've been gravitating towards ameritrash, and definitely is hard to find one to really like.

I'll look into Kemet. I had wanted to do Scythe, but not sure if my group would be into such a long/large scale game.

Gutter Owl posted:

Mage Knight is not one of these. MK is a single session randomly-generated conquer-em-up.

Ok, was a little hard to tell from what descriptions I could find online. Thanks.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Expansion:

Fists of Steel
Samurai Mowdown
Black Flags Black Waters
1001 Nights
Sunset Striders

4 Premium:

Xeno X-Over
AD 2400
Cards Magica

3 Master:

James Bomb 006+1

The game isn't actually that heavy, just long. The tournament phase boils down to use optional action, play mandatory card, and read the rules on said card. The deckbuilding phase is effectively give each player 30 bucks and 6 store deck cards and flip the elemental meta, 7 minutes, give each player 6 more store deck cards and flip type meta, 7 more minutes, players can no longer sell cards, final 6 minutes. During that 20 minutes, you can buy cards from the store, sell cards to the after market, trade cards to other players, discard cards to get promos, and build collections of either same type or same element and different star values to discard for points at the end of the round. That's literally the game minus a few small details.

Random things:
- Trades have to be equal in value according to star rating. So if you want my 6, you can either give me a 6, a 2 and a 4, a 4 and $2, etc. Friendship is given in addition to the equal trade, not in lieu of.
- Using an action in a tournament flips the card over. This means that it does not count for end game scoring, unless you have a face up card somewhere that cares about face down cards.
- Clashing doesn't flip any cards, including the loser's cards, unless the card specifically says as much.
- If you fuse cards for a promo, you lose a sell marker for the rest of that deck building phase.

As for your store deck, I would trade out Fists of Fury and I think AD 2400 for two more sets like 1001 Nights that care about the type/element score game. You want to open the possibility for multiple strategies rather than straight clash and flipping.

Speaking of MB, if anyone wants to buy Millennium Blades + Set Rotation + the first 5 mini expansions, or trade Scythe + expansion for them, contact me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

Battles of Westeros. Not tabletop, but absolutely minis.

I wish I could see the license details spelled out because the distinction between "tabletop miniatures game" and "board game with miniatures" appears to be down to semantics. Apparently FFG only has the rights to produce Star Wars miniatures games and RPGs and you'll notice that both X-Wing and Imperial Assault specifically say "miniatures game" and "tactical miniatures combat for 2-5 players" on their boxes respectively. Battle of Westeros is subtitled "a BattleLore game" with "a game of epic battles" on the box, both BoW and BattleLore itself saying nothing about miniatures on its box. In fact, FFG specifically calls Battle of Westeros a board game.

Now the kicker is Star Wars Rebellion, which Fantasy Flight advertises as a board game, but unlike literally every other board game with miniatures they produce (at least what I looked up) they advertise in BIG BOLD LETTERS "OVER 150 PLASTIC MINIATURES!" Every other game has "plastic figures" very specific about the wording.

So I guess what separates tabletop game from board game is the inclusion of a ruler, and the difference between miniatures and figures is purely semantics but lets you get away with poo poo anyway.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Some bad luck for our European friends waiting for their copy of Lisboa:

quote:

We have been waiting for way too long to hear about the shipment to the EU, but now for the really bad news. There has been a fire at the factory which has destroyed all of the Lisboa games awaiting shipment to the EU, along with a lot of other damage. About all I can say is that at least there have been no earthquakes and no tsunamis!

We are still working on the numbers, but our plan is to send a shipment to the EU from the US. Our first idea was to send them directly to you, but that would involve Customs duties for everyone.

The containers arrived at the US warehouse yesterday. Our warehouse staff are hard at work in sending out the games to US backers, and putting together a shipment for the EU.

Norway, Israel, and South America: Your games were going to ship from the EU, but will now ship directly from the US. Please send any address updates to ruthc@eagle-gryphon.com by August 1st. If you send in a change of address after that date we cannot guarantee that your package will get to you.

Canadian backers: your packages should be on their way to you by the end of the first week of August.

Thank you all for your patience during this difficult time.

Eagle-Gryphon Games

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Well that's thematic news. Lisboa really has bad luck.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

CaptainRightful posted:

On the topic of teaching games: I finally got Food Chain Magnate to the table the other night with my once-a-month group. Since it was the first time for everyone else, we decided to leave out the milestones. If you do this, make sure you also leave out salaries! I didn't think this was important until I realized we all were forced to slowly ramp up, building a large workforce and then leaving lots of people on the beach each turn. Training was always a risk and the bank took forever to break. No one hired any of the highest level employees (aside from one chef).

That said, everyone still loved it. I lost partly because I couldn't get the milestones out of my head. Even without them, it's a real brain burner.
Haha I did this my very first game too. We noticed the rule when we were setting up, when we started the game I said out loud "huh I guess you can only start with trainer when using milestones, otherwise you won't be able to pay the salary", and we still didn't realize we were doing it wrong until almost the end of the game. Each of us had half of our staff slots dedicated to waitresses.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Container kickstarter is up. Look at them sexy resin ships.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

EvilChameleon posted:

Container kickstarter is up. Look at them sexy resin ships.

No shipping outside US. Bit loving ironic given the game :(

Gloomhaven is just as big. Isaac must be some kind of logistics savant, or, more likely, far less overheads and little profit motive.

40 euro shipping to Australia. That's a spicy meatball...

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 27, 2017

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hoiyes posted:

No shipping outside US. Bit loving ironic given the game :(

Gloomhaven is just as big. Isaac must be some kind of logistics savant, or, more likely, far less overheads and little profit motive.

40 euro shipping to Australia. That's a spicy meatball...
Yeah we have to pay a goddamn mint for it, that's a hard pass from me

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah I get why it's 40 Euros just for the shipping but wow.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

bowmore posted:

Yeah we have to pay a goddamn mint for it, that's a hard pass from me

OTOH there's pretty much no way you won't recoup costs on the secondary market. There's kickstarter collector's edition games going for 300+ on the Aus Facebook pretty often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

As for your store deck, I would trade out Fists of Fury and I think AD 2400 for two more sets like 1001 Nights that care about the type/element score game. You want to open the possibility for multiple strategies rather than straight clash and flipping.

This seems like sound advice. I added Rubber Ducky Maid Crusaders, Clockwork Empire and Symphony of Destruction removing Fists of Fury, AD 2400 and Mechanical Numerical Master. Does this look a bit sharper? the other option that occured to me would be to put in Gno Man's land in Expansion, potentially killing Maid Crusaders, and Hell to pay in for Symphony of Destruction that would make flip decks more attractive.
Expansion:

Rubber Ducky Maid Crusaders
Samurai Mowdown
Black Flags Black Waters
1001 Nights
Sunset Striders

4 Premium:

Xeno X-Over
Cards Magica
Clockwork Empire

3 Master: