Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Xenonauts head scientist appears on this page of the wiki: http://xenonauts.wikia.com/wiki/Research

The look he gives you, plus the "Oh Commander, please tell me how to do my job" sold me on him when I first played this game. The science logs were awesome and gave the game a lot of much-needed character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Xenonauts is a nice refresh on the old classic, but it's not without its own flaws. It holds the honor of being the only X-com-like I've ever played where I've lost the game due to a death spiral in the strategy layer alone. I suddenly get a lot of the bitterness some newbies had with the firaxis reboots; Xenonauts expects you to do X, Y, and Z and god help you if you try to wing it your own way.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Speedball posted:

Aha, but that's where you're wrong. Certain items or weapons found or developed in one mini campaign do carry over and can be purchased from the Fate Trader for a modest fee. The inventor guy's crazy weapons for example.

Still, I can't fault you for not liking it if you didn't like it.

Nothing/some, I was expecting every choice to matter and it didn't seem to.

Maybe i'll give it another shot when its on sale? I like the idea behind it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PiCroft posted:

Xenonauts head scientist appears on this page of the wiki: http://xenonauts.wikia.com/wiki/Research

The look he gives you, plus the "Oh Commander, please tell me how to do my job" sold me on him when I first played this game. The science logs were awesome and gave the game a lot of much-needed character.

I think I remember him saying exactly that in an early research text.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

dogstile posted:

With hard west, there was one part that made me give up on it (it was "ok" up until that point). It's a part where you're playing as one guy, you're ridiculously strong and by all accounts you should feel like a badass at that stage, but I got unlucky twice and it makes you do the entire first fight and cutscene again every time you die, so I refunded it.
How? If it's the one I'm thinking of, get into full cover and you should be nigh unstoppable. Sure, the enemies will hit you once per turn for piddly amounts that you'll regenerate during your turn, then fan your revolver to kill them one at a time.

What ruined Hard West for me was that it took forever to kill something, anything (unless you had the fate trader Gear). Your best bet was to hide in full cover and fan a revolver for 2-3 turns. Enemy-Only Overwatch actively discourages flanking, too. It had a lot going for it but I'd have preferred less but more focused instead of the nine(?) different strategic layers across the campaign and DLC. I really liked the strategic layer in Scars of Freedom though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTOrnMdFTQE

Hunter video dropped.

Looks like they're Literally A Sharpshooter complete with pistol skills and a grapple.

Honestly kinda weird they have a pistol since we know their Sniper Rifle's unique property is that it only takes one action to fire.

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 25, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zore posted:

Hunter video dropped.

Looks like they're Literally A Sharpshooter complete with pistol skills and a grapple.

Honestly kinda weird they have a pistol since we know their Sniper Rifle's unique property is that it only takes one action to fire.

From the video I'd guess that they get a free action with the pistol

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

From the video I'd guess that they get a free action with the pistol

and that free action is Faceoff

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I hope the free action... is sucking me off!!!! :mrgw:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I don't want to go back in the tank.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

It's not all bad. If you go back in the tank you get to play more Enemy Unknown with your mind. Maybe if we go back willingly the elders will let us play EU/EW as the aliens.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Annointed posted:

I don't want to go back in the tank.

it is every citizen's final duty

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Coolguye posted:

it is every citizen's final duty

to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people

dogstile posted:

Nothing/some, I was expecting every choice to matter and it didn't seem to.

Maybe i'll give it another shot when its on sale? I like the idea behind it.

Choices tend to matter within the context of the mini-campaign at the least. Like, in the first campaign you can sell a bit of your soul (your luck) for a bunch of magic cards. Every different mini-campaign has a totally different economy system; there's one where you're an expeditionary force using up manpower to check out places, and another where you're a lone traveler whose primary income is buying low at one town and selling high at another.

Regarding the mission where you start out as a total badass but outnumbered, I can help you there. You're in shadow due to the magical night and you've got the "regenerates health/luck in shadow" traits for that mission, so you just take it relatively slow and you'll be fine. Time is on your side in that mission. The deal with that particular mini-campaign is the devil rewards you for killing 100 people total (including quite a few you can kill due to overworld choices, like poisoning the well of an evil town), but if you go overboard shopkeepers get too scared to sell to you.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 25, 2017

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Zore posted:

Hunter video dropped.

His pistol's schtick is that it pierces all armor, from a dev comment on reddit.

So if you thought Gunslingers with bluescreen rounds were OP against machines before... :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Exposure posted:

His pistol's schtick is that it pierces all armor, from a dev comment on reddit.

So if you thought Gunslingers with bluescreen rounds were OP against machines before... :v:

Fortunately, it's not his pistol you get for killing him.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is there a way to make Long War 2 enabled with the Not So Long War second wave option from Long War from EU2012? I like a lot of stuff it's added, like Haven management and new classes and enemy types, and the infiltration mechanic is really cool (I felt really smug when my 6 man squad took out 20 ADVENT dudes. :v:) but there's just so many missions I feel like I'm going to lose interest.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cuntellectual posted:

Is there a way to make Long War 2 enabled with the Not So Long War second wave option from Long War from EU2012? I like a lot of stuff it's added, like Haven management and new classes and enemy types, and the infiltration mechanic is really cool (I felt really smug when my 6 man squad took out 20 ADVENT dudes. :v:) but there's just so many missions I feel like I'm going to lose interest.

I would also be interested in this, for very similar reasons.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
From IRC; Amazon appears to have price errored the new expansion to only be $10 instead of $40:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0747W22CP

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Not available in the US.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

Not available in the US.

RIP, they caught on really quickly then.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Yup, I got on in time but it was gone a few minutes after that. Oh well, probably is worth $40 to be honest.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I literally just bought it for 9.99 as did my colleague. In the USA here. THANKS!

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I did as well, using the Amazon app, if that makes any difference.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Just got it as well, also US.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Okay, this time I got through. :psyduck: Thanks for the heads up!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's marked as a pre-order, so I'm pretty sure they can change the price/invalidate the order if they decide this was a mistake.

E:
Then again,

quote:

Pre-order Price Guarantee
If the price decreases between now and the release date, you'll receive the lowest price

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Holy cow, that has to be a mistake and I'm not betting on Amazon honoring it, but here's hoping.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

they probably wont, but gently caress it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress it, I'm in. And here I thought the 30 bucks or whatever from GMG was good...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The button's not even there for me now on either the site or the app. Looks like I missed it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

they probably wont, but gently caress it.

also if/when they cancel, maybe I can complain and get a free month of Prime out of it :toot:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
amazon have a pre order price guarantee. I'll eat my h... food if they don't honour it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

redreader posted:

amazon have a pre order price guarantee. I'll eat my h... food if they don't honour it.

_____________/

redreader eat the hat

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Can't wait for the inevitable swell of nerd rage from dudes angry that they weren't allowed to take advantage of a clerical error

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Fortunately, it's not his pistol you get for killing him.

Actually, you do (as well as the rifle).
From these Dev comments.

quote:

He always has full vision of the map, doesn't even need squadsight. But he can only target soldiers within his line of sight...No curving bullets.

Do we also get his Pistol? What does it do?

Yep. It has a ton of Pierce, so it more or less ignores armor.
Sure, he can grapple then take a rifle shot. It's pretty annoying, especially since he's super snarky about it.

Edited for correctness. Both his pistol shot and rifle shot are turn-ending, so he generally prefers to use the rifle.
The Warlock doesn't need a psi amp or use a secondary weapon, so the player just gets his assault rifle.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Psycho Landlord posted:

Can't wait for the inevitable swell of nerd rage from dudes angry that they weren't allowed to take advantage of a clerical error

It wouldn't surprise me if they took it back but I'm happy to drop the full amount on it anyways

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

In XCOM 2, the avatar project countdown doom clock doesn't reset now when you hit an alien facility to bring it back to the blocks, right? Meaning you can't just let the avatar clock reach one day remaining, hit a facility, and then get an extra 20 days to reset the clock again when the tracker blocks fill up?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Olive Branch posted:

In XCOM 2, the avatar project countdown doom clock doesn't reset now when you hit an alien facility to bring it back to the blocks, right? Meaning you can't just let the avatar clock reach one day remaining, hit a facility, and then get an extra 20 days to reset the clock again when the tracker blocks fill up?

It'll reset to a week, but no further than that.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

redreader posted:

EAT THE HAT!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TFINKICpE8

I need to play open xcom one of these days