Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Honestly with the ability to put out four lascannon shots and all of those frag assault launchers I think it could do both.

Yeah, between the las-talon and twin cannon it seems like you can put some severe shots in enemy armor. At the same time, the dakka options are really tempting. It's also one of the few anti-air options in the Primaris arsenal, which the recent FAQ might make less important but is still worth consideration.

Here are my build thoughts so far:

Option 1: Heavy onslaught gatling cannon vs. Las-talon - In my eyes, the build defining choice. If you're going for dakka, no matter what else you get the heavy onslaught is downright essential. 12 S5 shots eats infantry for breakfast. If you're going for anti-armor, you can get plenty of dakka elsewhere without sacrificing one of your two major las weapons.

Option 2: Twin heavy bolter vs. twin lascannon - This one's the other big build defining choice, I'd say. Lascannons are the longest ranged weapons this thing has, and sacrificing them on an anti-armor build is foolish. That said, even a dakka build can use them as suitable sniper weapons, considering that a lot of their firepower would be at rapid fire range. The 6 shots on the heavy bolter is really nice, though.

Option 3: Heavy stubber vs. onslaught gatling cannon - Onslaught wins this handily for double the shots and higher strength, but maybe that's me underestimating the impact of range. I'd rather not get my tank out in the open (and with it, lascannon range) until it can open hell with at least the majority of its weapons, though.

Option 4: Storm bolter vs. fragstorm - Both of these are the close-range dakka option. Fragstorm is better between 13 and 18 inches, bolter wins at every other range. That seems to point to the bolter, especially with the Repulsor's innate charge protection. However, that might be edging too close to charge vulnerability for comfort. If you're dropping off a bunch of melee/close range Primaris like knife Reivers and flamestorm Aggressors, you'll probably want to linger in rapid fire range anyway, although I think it'd be a mistake to crash the Repulsor into enemies like other transports. It just has way too much valuable gunfire, and I don't think Primaris have the melee chops to dislodge the transport in the next turn.

Option 5: Icarus stubber vs. Icarus rocket pod vs. Storm bolter vs. Fragstorm. If flyers aren't a concern in your meta, the Icarus weapons are just in the way. If they are, the rocked pot seems to cover anything less meaty than a stormtalon. It doesn't do much damage, though, so it might be better to just use las for fliers anyway and spend the slot on more dakka.

Option 6: Autolaunchers vs. fragstorm. I can't imagine plopping down this thing and not shooting with it, personally, but if trying to bring in a payload of assault units I can see the utility. That said, if using this more for the tank role than transport role, I'd probably go with the dakka.

So, Beer's right on the money, I'd say. Even making the most heavy weapon build I can imagine (Las-talon, twin lascannon, and Icarus rocket pod just in case of fliers), I'd still be packing 6 shots from the Onslaught, two d6 of fragstorm shots, and either two more fragstorm d6 or 4 (8 in close range) storm bolter shots. That's between 12 and 26 shots a turn, not counting my four las shots, the Icarus rocket pod, or the possibility of buying another 3 shots worth of heavy stubber shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The Repulsor does have the fly keyword and the -2 charge distance rule so it's significantly less vulnerable at close range than other tanks. I intend to go for the dakka build mostly to leverage this fact, though I'm also lacking a solid infantry killing in my collection that is a part of the Blood Angels list.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Pendent posted:

The Repulsor does have the fly keyword and the -2 charge distance rule so it's significantly less vulnerable at close range than other tanks. I intend to go for the dakka build mostly to leverage this fact, though I'm also lacking a solid infantry killing in my collection that is a part of the Blood Angels list.

That's true. And in fact, between that and the lack of penalty for backing out of melee, there's really no reason not to smash this thing into an enemy and soak up overwatch for your Reivers and Aggressors. Best case scenario, you might stub a marine's toe with one of those six swings. If your opponent can't properly back out of combat (your big hovership pins it from one side, the Reivers it deploys swarm up from the other side during consolidation and pile-in), you just get a free turn where nobody can shoot your tank.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Really, I intend to get 1 of every primaris unit (except maybe the $35 characters) and then go from there. I'll get know no fear soon to start that off with. I'll probably double up on redemptors, and get several squads of intercessors. So an AT repulsor will be a really good investment. Thinking I'll put an Lt and some aggressors inside it.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

chutche2 posted:

I mean, how are devastators capitalizing on a chapter tactic that lets you fall back and shoot? That's really more of a tac marine tactic, fall back and unload flamers into what charged you with your frontline troops. Even if they do get charged, survive, and fall back heavy weapons would be shooting on a 5+.

I think chapter tactics not working on vehicles is overrated. Itd be nice if they did, but vehicles are good enough that they don't need the boost, while marine infantry costs too much IMO and so the chapter tactics are good for them, bringing them up to par.

Hitting on a 5+ with Guilliman around is still something, and a huge boost over literally being able to do nothing. Even better would be venerable dreads falling back to hit on 4+. Im really hoping Agressors turn out to be worth the price, their volume of fire seems pretty prodigious.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

Really, I intend to get 1 of every primaris unit (except maybe the $35 characters) and then go from there. I'll get know no fear soon to start that off with. I'll probably double up on redemptors, and get several squads of intercessors. So an AT repulsor will be a really good investment. Thinking I'll put an Lt and some aggressors inside it.

If you're only getting the 3-Aggressor set, popping the sword lieutenant and Gravis captain in there can help a lot. Then you're rerolling 1s on 12 shots per model (especially if taking the boltstorm/fragstorm combo for the guaranteed 6 and 6, if you feel that's smarter than 2d6 autohit shots), and then have a solid capable melee squad to charge in and clean up shot while the Repulsor soaks up overwatch.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Bee posted:

If you're only getting the 3-Aggressor set, popping the sword lieutenant and Gravis captain in there can help a lot. Then you're rerolling 1s on 12 shots per model (especially if taking the boltstorm/fragstorm combo for the guaranteed 6 and 6, if you feel that's smarter than 2d6 autohit shots), and then have a solid capable melee squad to charge in and clean up shot while the Repulsor soaks up overwatch.

I was thinking that repulsor aggressors would get the flamers, while if I took them on foot they'd get the boltstorms. Boltstorms look great in a defensive position double-tapping at stuff, while if I'm playing them aggressively then flamers all the way. Captain is still good to reroll powerfists.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

I was thinking that repulsor aggressors would get the flamers, while if I took them on foot they'd get the boltstorms. Boltstorms look great in a defensive position double-tapping at stuff, while if I'm playing them aggressively then flamers all the way. Captain is still good to reroll powerfists.

That's a good point. Powerfists are gonna need those rerolls more than anyone else, and flamers are going to benefit heavily from being able to smash into melee.

Speaking of your plan, gun Reivers, knife Reivers, or one and one?

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hencoe posted:

I wish that was the worst thing that particular individual has modeled tits on. That's my local area and i've seen some poo poo
Hencoe is bluffing, in a way. We're mostly limited to Ork conversions of wildly varying quality, and I can't think of anything worse than that fellow's collection. People, however... well, we have both seen some people.

TwingeCrag posted:

He's awesome. I played with him while he was in Fairbanks. Super nice dude, and is good at the game.
Yeah, Phil's awesome. I always talk him up when I get a chance; he's really a great dude, and deserves every view he gets. Did you do it for the Glacial Geekl? I might have to hunt it up.

It's a pity he's moving, but that just means some of you Southern goons should be able to get on his channel. It's a blast.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Bee posted:

That's a good point. Powerfists are gonna need those rerolls more than anyone else, and flamers are going to benefit heavily from being able to smash into melee.

Speaking of your plan, gun Reivers, knife Reivers, or one and one?

Knife reivers. I don't really see myself using gun reivers when I have intercessors. I sometimes use bolter scouts for a cheap troop slot, but reivers aren't troops.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Gun Reivers are going to be so awesomely mobile it almost seems like there isn't a choice. 1 attack with no AP isn't worth giving up the ability to advance and shoot out to 24"

On the subject of the Repulsor I'm really excited about loading it up with Hellblasters and dropping them off in rapid fire range. Those guns are nasty but are such a huge target they rarely get into range on foot.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

Gun Reivers are going to be so awesomely mobile it almost seems like there isn't a choice. 1 attack with no AP isn't worth giving up the ability to advance and shoot out to 24"

On the subject of the Repulsor I'm really excited about loading it up with Hellblasters and dropping them off in rapid fire range. Those guns are nasty but are such a huge target they rarely get into range on foot.

I can see using them that way, but that's just now how I want to roll with reivers. I want them to get in and disrupt the poo poo out of things with grenades and melee. I can give intercessors auto rifles if I really want them.

Also, they have AP-1 pistols. So it's not trading 1 ap0 melee for 2 bolt shots, it's trading 1 ap0 melee and an ap-1 pistol shot for 2 bolt shots at the range I want to use them at.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 26, 2017

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

:stare: I bet. So is Phil really a cool dude to play with? He seems super chill and fun.

I love playing Phil both in the tournaments and in a casual setting, those dice were the best wedding gift idea ever.

Von Humboldt posted:

Hencoe is bluffing, in a way. We're mostly limited to Ork conversions of wildly varying quality, and I can't think of anything worse than that fellow's collection. People, however... well, we have both seen some people.
Yeah, Phil's awesome. I always talk him up when I get a chance; he's really a great dude, and deserves every view he gets. Did you do it for the Glacial Geekl? I might have to hunt it up.

It's a pity he's moving, but that just means some of you Southern goons should be able to get on his channel. It's a blast.

You clearly never saw the fantasy giant turned into a bloodthirster with Tits. It was AWFUL.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 26, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Honestly, the fact that we can have all this Primaris synergy discussion despite them currently being maybe half of an army at best shows that the range might have a surprising amount of teeth to it. As someone not too interested in smaller marines, I'm hoping that bodes well for the future.

As for gunmans vs. swordmans, their mobility is crazy good with escaping compromised cover, but I think without one of the two core melee units in the Primaris range being used to its potential their shock grenades become kind of a burden. I could understand taking them in a mixed army if, say, using them to cover for assault marines or melee dreads, but in an all-Primaris army gun Reivers are going to often ignore one of the cooler parts of their kit.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Anyone got any experience with Tale of War miniatures? They make some pretty tongue in cheek references to characters from other Mediums.

I would love to paint War from Darksiders 1, and this looks like a decent place to achieve such a thing: https://taleofwar.com/epages/0101d3...ducts/TOWVE0016

Comparison:

My main questions would be: A)are their minis any good? The resin looks fairly on point.

And B) is the scale completely off centre to maybe proxy in as a chaos lord?

Edit: I mostly ask here because I can't find *any* goddamn reviews for this mini online.

It's likely nobody responded to me because nobody has bought this particular obscure miniature from this obscure company, so I might throw out a more basic question to you fine folks:

They mention '35MM FINE DETAIL MINIATURE' so I assume they mean 35mm scale - now to my knowledge GW follows a 28mm scale, however model size creep is a real thing - would a 35MM scale mini work for a chaos lord?

This is the miniature painted, the base looks like a fairly standard rounded lip base.

Worst case scenario I may bite the bullet anyway because it + shipping really isnt that spensive.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
28mm scale usually means some version of "an average male human in this setting is 28mm tall from feet to eyes" but literally every word in that sentence is fungible. That dude should be fine as a lord.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

28mm scale usually means some version of "an average male human in this setting is 28mm tall from feet to eyes" but literally every word in that sentence is fungible. That dude should be fine as a lord.

Worst case scenario I cannabilise the miniature and source an original archaon on horseback to try and remake this:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Did they ever fix that Inquisitor Kazamarov or whatever it is can ride any Imperial transport he wants?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

Honestly, the fact that we can have all this Primaris synergy discussion despite them currently being maybe half of an army at best shows that the range might have a surprising amount of teeth to it. As someone not too interested in smaller marines, I'm hoping that bodes well for the future.

As for gunmans vs. swordmans, their mobility is crazy good with escaping compromised cover, but I think without one of the two core melee units in the Primaris range being used to its potential their shock grenades become kind of a burden. I could understand taking them in a mixed army if, say, using them to cover for assault marines or melee dreads, but in an all-Primaris army gun Reivers are going to often ignore one of the cooler parts of their kit.

Yeah, I intend to run a mixed army. The core will be Intercessors with a squad or two of Reivers, but the rest will be the scariest Blood Angel stuff I can fit. I'm going to be using the Reivers to support my advancing assault units as much as possible, but don't expect them to get all that much killing done when it comes down to it.
They'll be there to outflank and hit soft or vulnerable targets and for that there really won't be all that big a different between 20 and 30 attacks. The actual killing will be done by Sanguinary Guard who are all packing plasma pistols and power weapons dealing d3 damage.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I plan on just having the Regal Skulls just be fun. My Orks are for stomping, especially since flyer meta looks like it's going to be less effective.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
BOLS just posted GW's financials for this quarter and, uh, wow. It turns out giving a poo poo actually makes a big difference on the bottom line.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/07/games-workshop-2016-17-annual-financials.html

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm regretting not purchasing GW stock around the time of the edition announcement

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Is there any reason to field a missile launcher in a unit of scout snipers or just use another sniper instead?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Pendent posted:

Yeah, I intend to run a mixed army. The core will be Intercessors with a squad or two of Reivers, but the rest will be the scariest Blood Angel stuff I can fit. I'm going to be using the Reivers to support my advancing assault units as much as possible, but don't expect them to get all that much killing done when it comes down to it.
They'll be there to outflank and hit soft or vulnerable targets and for that there really won't be all that big a different between 20 and 30 attacks. The actual killing will be done by Sanguinary Guard who are all packing plasma pistols and power weapons dealing d3 damage.

That's smart, and that's where gun Reivers become absurdly useful. Being able to mark targets for your Sanguinary Guard to charge sans-Overwatch is pretty incredible.

Wait, is SangGuard MSU 4, followed by an extra +6? That's weird.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 26, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Black_Nexus posted:

Is there any reason to field a missile launcher in a unit of scout snipers or just use another sniper instead?

Well, there's the flakk missile stratagem.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

That's smart, and that's where gun Reivers become absurdly useful. Being able to mark targets for your Sanguinary Guard to charge sans-Overwatch is pretty incredible.

Wait, is SangGuard MSU 4, followed by an extra +6? That's weird.

It's because the banner carrier became a separate unit. It looks odd but in practice there isn't a ton of difference.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Today I learned that Assault Terminators wreck poo poo, after a squad of five of them ate seven wounds off a Land Raider in a single fight phase. Unleash Fury from the Librarian, plus +1S from a Sanguinary Priest meant 21 attacks, rerolling attacks from a Chaplain, and rerolling wounds from Lightning Claws. Ended up with 15 wounds dealt, and he failed a little less than half of them. Some good poo poo right there.

And then the motherfucking Rhino went last in combat, rolled a single 6 to hit, 6 to wound, and he rolls a 1 on the save to take the last wound. That Rhino's getting some goddamn bling for killing a Land Raider in melee.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Strobe posted:

Today I learned that Assault Terminators wreck poo poo, after a squad of five of them ate seven wounds off a Land Raider in a single fight phase. Unleash Fury from the Librarian, plus +1S from a Sanguinary Priest meant 21 attacks, rerolling attacks from a Chaplain, and rerolling wounds from Lightning Claws. Ended up with 15 wounds dealt, and he failed a little less than half of them. Some good poo poo right there.

And then the motherfucking Rhino went last in combat, rolled a single 6 to hit, 6 to wound, and he rolls a 1 on the save to take the last wound. That Rhino's getting some goddamn bling for killing a Land Raider in melee.

Our enemies hide in metal boxes. But your enemies hide from them :getin:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Strobe posted:

Time to start putting kill markings on your rhino.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Anyone got any experience with Tale of War miniatures? They make some pretty tongue in cheek references to characters from other Mediums.

I would love to paint War from Darksiders 1, and this looks like a decent place to achieve such a thing: https://taleofwar.com/epages/0101d3...ducts/TOWVE0016

Comparison:

My main questions would be: A)are their minis any good? The resin looks fairly on point.

And B) is the scale completely off centre to maybe proxy in as a chaos lord?

Edit: I mostly ask here because I can't find *any* goddamn reviews for this mini online.

I know nothing about this company but their not-Gray Fox and not-Snake are pretty dope. Darksiders has an aesthetic not too far off from Warhammer's, you'd probably be fine. The proportions might be slightly off since they're not sculpted in the same artstyle as GW's, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Strobe posted:

This owns. Also happy to see lightning claw termies are pulling their weight right now, right after I finished painting my TH/SS ones. They had a real tough time leaving a lasting impression on some Death Guard this weekend.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Black_Nexus posted:

Flexibility. A Missile Launcher means you're at least some threat to any target. Sniper Rifles are only a big deal to hidden characters and once those are dead and/or out of sight what you've got left is a 36" range Bolter that can't Rapid Fire, takes a to-hit penalty when it moves, and (to be fair) gives you a very unreliable source of Mortal Wounds. If you've got the extra 22 points (or are playing Power Levels) I'd personally take the Missile Launcher. But I wouldn't go out of my way to get one if there are more important things to spend on first. Or unless it's a Power Level game, since that Scout Squad's gonna be 6PL whether you have the ML or not, so you might as well have it.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 26, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Pendent posted:

BOLS just posted GW's financials for this quarter and, uh, wow. It turns out giving a poo poo actually makes a big difference on the bottom line.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/07/games-workshop-2016-17-annual-financials.html

The gain is nof quite as impressive as it looks because their FY basically ran right up to pre-Brexit last year then right at the start of their year the pound fell off a cliff (which is beneficial for them since they do a lot of trading in foreign currencies). The constant currency figure rising too is encouraging though.

Also, those results don't include 8th ed at all, so there's a strong possibilty that 17/18 will be an improvement.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Wow, the old Archaon model (horseback) is now 1) quite hard to come by and 2) quite pricey.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wow, the old Archaon model (horseback) is now 1) quite hard to come by and 2) quite pricey.

Wrong thead I think.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wrong thead I think.

Yes and no, I was aiming to make him a 40k Chaos lord on horseback.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

It's likely nobody responded to me because nobody has bought this particular obscure miniature from this obscure company, so I might throw out a more basic question to you fine folks:

They mention '35MM FINE DETAIL MINIATURE' so I assume they mean 35mm scale - now to my knowledge GW follows a 28mm scale, however model size creep is a real thing - would a 35MM scale mini work for a chaos lord?

This is the miniature painted, the base looks like a fairly standard rounded lip base.

Worst case scenario I may bite the bullet anyway because it + shipping really isnt that spensive.

GW is usually referred to as "heroic 28mm" meaning that the proportions tend to be exaggerated and most things are closer to 30-32mm. That dude might not blend in aesthetically and his head size might be a little wonky comparatively; but as a Chaos lord? Totally fine.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The Bee posted:

Honestly, the fact that we can have all this Primaris synergy discussion despite them currently being maybe half of an army at best shows that the range might have a surprising amount of teeth to it.

Space marines have a ton of units to choose from though?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

ijyt posted:

Space marines have a ton of units to choose from though?

Some people are going pure Primaris even if it isn't the most competitive choice. It's like taking an army of all Sternguard/Vanguard. Or Grey Knights. Small model count armies appeal to people without a lot of time.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

:vomarine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Thundercloud posted:

Some people are going pure Primaris even if it isn't the most competitive choice. It's like taking an army of all Sternguard/Vanguard. Or Grey Knights. Small model count armies appeal to people without a lot of time.

I have to admit the chapter challenge is tempting me to build a Primaris force for pickup games while I spend approximately forever getting all ten million models for my Okrs converted and painted.