Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Kale posted:

The only reason I'm giving this one a chance is cause it's SA and I've come to expect slightly better from this place. Other than that yeah it's become insufferably retarded as I've mentioned a couple times above. It's a loving video game, like buy them and enjoy them or don't but move the gently caress on eventually in the latter case after you've said your peace, don't stick around and thread poo poo entire franchises.

So what do you want to happen here? Close the thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OUT HERE IN THE FIELD

I WORK FOR MY MEALS

I PUT MY BACK INTO MY LIVING

I DON'T HAVE TO POST

TO PROVE I'M RIGHT

Don't cryyyyyyy

Don't raise your eye

It's on, ly Fi, nal, Fantasy

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Corvinus posted:

I think you're just missing Alexander (Doma throne room), Seraph (some guy walking around in Tzen I think), and Ragnarok (kill all the dragons).

Muscle Belt ain't worth losing Nirvana Band. Gem/Soul Box are Terra/Celes exclusive.

There's also a hidden relic that lets Celes do General Leo's thang (it also has other unlisted effects that are nice).

Oh, I guess it's good I ended up giving the Soul Box to Celes then.

Thank you, I went and got those two Espers. As for the "Leo Relic" is it at all related to the Leo's Spirits Rare Item I got way earlier? Or the NPC in Thamasa who says Leo's ghost haunts the streets? I was wondering what was up with those.

Anyway, my trip into Kefka's Tower shows me we are absolutely not ready. Even sprinkling in the weaklings with some other better characters is a bad idea. I'll be killing dinosaurs for most of today, I guess.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what about putting death + undead res relics on and grinding characters solo in phoenix cave? i'm sure that's faster and more reliable than snare.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

what about putting death + undead res relics on and grinding characters solo in phoenix cave? i'm sure that's faster and more reliable than snare.

I can try that but what do you mean? I figure you mean use the Ghost Ring that makes ou undead but what about the rest of it?

I've just been using the dinosaurs in that forest because an NPC tells you about them and they were easy EXP even before I found Phoenix Cave.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Thank you, I went and got those two Espers. As for the "Leo Relic" is it at all related to the Leo's Spirits Rare Item I got way earlier? Or the NPC in Thamasa who says Leo's ghost haunts the streets? I was wondering what was up with those.

Anyway, my trip into Kefka's Tower shows me we are absolutely not ready. Even sprinkling in the weaklings with some other better characters is a bad idea. I'll be killing dinosaurs for most of today, I guess.

Leo pour one out at his grave As for what it does other than Shock (stamina based damage), it lets Celes counterattack, cover low HP allies, and 100% physical hit rate.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

I can try that but what do you mean? I figure you mean use the Ghost Ring that makes ou undead but what about the rest of it?

I've just been using the dinosaurs in that forest because an NPC tells you about them and they were easy EXP even before I found Phoenix Cave.

iirc the phoenix cave gives pretty good exp and almost everything is undead, so they have certain major weaknesses. the bad news is that a lot of monsters in there use death/zombification effects, and if you're soloing to mass xp on one character without something to protect you from it, that's a game over. in vanilla, doing a little solo grinding to top your levels off was all about the relic that protected you from death/zombie magic + exp egg.

they probably retuned the exp payouts, but if you don't wanna do that, there's a forest with mantises or something in it that has such good exp::time payout that even ulililia swears by it. i think it's by maranda.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 26, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Don't know if it got changed since when I played, but Umaro's Cave has the Bone Club, which in the hack Gau can equip and greatly boosts his attack. It makes his physical rages obscene, especially with I think the Dragon rage that can do x4 regular damage. Then throw his crazy speed on top of that.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
More FF12 talk, but does anyone have any good gambits to use on a black mage character? I have Balthier set up for that with Time Battlemage, but pretty much I feel like I need to use "fire weak" or "fire vulnerable" (replace fire with whatever), but most bosses, etc. are immune to Libra.

Also, what's the difference between weak and vulnerable?

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
Vulnerable means they'll take damage from it(not immune/absorb), weak means they take bonus damage from it.

even without libra gambits will properly target weaknesses iirc

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Don't know if it got changed since when I played, but Umaro's Cave has the Bone Club, which in the hack Gau can equip and greatly boosts his attack. It makes his physical rages obscene, especially with I think the Dragon rage that can do x4 regular damage. Then throw his crazy speed on top of that.

I think there are 3 possible Bone Clubs: Umaro comes with one, the Pug-in-a-box in that area, and one that can be acquired in the WoB. Gau also has a Magic Bone (+7 magic) which is a steal from Witch family enemies (escape from Floating Continent, Phoenix Cave). Umaro's Rage Belt/Blizzard Orb can be worn by Gau and provide elemental immunities and 25% physical/magic damage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Capsaicin posted:

More FF12 talk, but does anyone have any good gambits to use on a black mage character? I have Balthier set up for that with Time Battlemage, but pretty much I feel like I need to use "fire weak" or "fire vulnerable" (replace fire with whatever), but most bosses, etc. are immune to Libra.

Also, what's the difference between weak and vulnerable?

Vulnerable means they won't be immune or absorb it. Weak means they'll take extra damage from it.

And I think kerwyn is right that you don't need Libra for those gambits, but I'm only really basing this on the fact that I haven't caught my Black Mage loving it up yet.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

So I just finished a playthrough of FFX HD and had a fabulous time, decided to jump into FF X-2 HD.

Why'd they have to wrap such a stupid game and plot around this excellent battle system

Also I didn't remember that once you get into Kilika in Chapter 1 you're stuck until the end of the Chapter, so I think I just hosed myself out of a bunch of sidequests and dresspheres, didn't I? Do I have to start this poo poo over again to get them, because I'm not planning on an NG+ run

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

thorsilver posted:

So I just finished a playthrough of FFX HD and had a fabulous time, decided to jump into FF X-2 HD.

Why'd they have to wrap such a stupid game and plot around this excellent battle system

But that's wrong!

X-2 is what happens when you tell a religious society with an age expectancy of 25 that their religion is a lie and they can live to 70.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

started ff15: who said this had good combat? lol, holding circle and pressing square sometimes boy howdy. I guess it's more active, hopefully some of this starts to make sense after a few hours.

this pinball minigame is literally airplanes, I had to shut the game off after 5 minutes of that.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 26, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Harrow posted:

Vulnerable means they won't be immune or absorb it. Weak means they'll take extra damage from it.

And I think kerwyn is right that you don't need Libra for those gambits, but I'm only really basing this on the fact that I haven't caught my Black Mage loving it up yet.

It's true

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Best XI song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-if85nnGWMg

Other greats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaKmkoy1r7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiGxNFlOO5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqL9Mef6NIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJaFB4fk3dQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WAcS-1H3BM

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 26, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also reminder that Dark is your only multi target spell for a while and as long as you're grinding anything other than skeletons you should set monster hp 100 > Dark to speed even faster through the early game

Later change it to Aero

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

started ff15: who said this had good combat? lol, holding circle and pressing square sometimes boy howdy. I guess it's more active, hopefully some of this starts to make sense after a few hours.

this pinball minigame is literally aids, I had to shut the game off after 5 minutes of that.

Every FF game is mash one button in the beginning. Normally its the X button to confirm "attack".

15's combat never gets super crazy but teleporting around sure does feel more fun than picking options from a menu.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you like pro wrestling you'll like FF15's combat

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

thorsilver posted:

Also I didn't remember that once you get into Kilika in Chapter 1 you're stuck until the end of the Chapter, so I think I just hosed myself out of a bunch of sidequests and dresspheres, didn't I? Do I have to start this poo poo over again to get them, because I'm not planning on an NG+ run

Uhh, did you go straight there at the beginning of the chapter? Cause if so, then yeah you missed a bunch of sidequests. You shouldn't have missed dresspheres since you can get those ones in later chapters. It might be best to restart if you care about doing all the sidequests.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Played up to Mimic Queen and did some hunts. I used to play vanilla FFXII a lot but I really like how they've subtle changes to accessories, shops, magicks etc.

Decided to roll with
BRK/SHI
MNK/BLM
SAM/KNI
BLM/RDM
RDM/BRK
TIM/UHL

With this I got all the high level offensive magicks covered for maximum dmg and some natural healing as well without a WHM. Also rapid fire debuffs

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 26, 2017

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But that's wrong!

X-2 is what happens when you tell a religious society with an age expectancy of 25 that their religion is a lie and they can live to 70.

Really? Because it feels more like they watched a LOT of anime, jumbled up FFX's assets, gave each other severe head wounds, then wrote the game.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Ventana posted:

Uhh, did you go straight there at the beginning of the chapter? Cause if so, then yeah you missed a bunch of sidequests. You shouldn't have missed dresspheres since you can get those ones in later chapters. It might be best to restart if you care about doing all the sidequests.

Yup, that's what I did... suddenly realised the problem when I was at Kilika, tried to get back to the airship to go find the Gun Mage sphere and couldn't leave. Oops :v:

Ah well, I'm gonna roll with it. Picked up Gun Mage anyway at the start of Chapter 2, so long as I'm not an idiot from here on out and can get whatever dresspheres are available then that's the most important thing, not bothered about every sidequest unless they give me cool stuff to use with the job system.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But that's wrong!

Well sure the concept is interesting, but the execution is terrible. Also the soundtrack is real letdown after FFX

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 26, 2017

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Really? Because it feels more like they watched a LOT of anime, jumbled up FFX's assets, gave each other severe head wounds, then wrote the game.

The main story of X-2 is fine and much better than X's, I'll take a story about struggling to overcome loss, finding your new identity in a radically changing society instead of what is expected of you and mistakes from the past coming back to bite in the rear end and trying not to repeat those same mistakes in the present is a lot more interesting than a story about how organized religion is evil and their God is actually the Satan destroying the world that they send gullible idiots out to die to every 10 years and oh also you're a dream and don't exist, but it's still your story imaginary dude!

It's just the sidemissions in X-2 which can be dumb and full of wacky poo poo. But even that makes perfect sense in a world where for hundreds of years, people were living in fear of constant and sudden death, no technological progress was allowed ever and the major overly controlling religion turned out to be a lie and a race of people the religion said were evil were actually good and were right. People are going to live a little and go a bit overboard with the prospect of eternal peace.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Anime? In my Final Fantasy?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

thorsilver posted:

Well sure the concept is interesting, but the execution is terrible. Also the soundtrack is real letdown after FFX

This. There are certainly good concepts in X-2's plot, such as what happens after a thousand-year theocracy is toppled, but the game seems less interested in those and far more interested in Girl Power. I love the new Yuna but Rikku is unbearable, especially since he was actually smarter in the last game.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The main story of X-2 is fine and much better than X's, I'll take a story about struggling to overcome loss, finding your new identity in a radically changing society instead of what is expected of you and mistakes from the past coming back to bite in the rear end and trying not to repeat those same mistakes in the present is a lot more interesting than a story about how organized religion is evil and their God is actually the Satan destroying the world that they send gullible idiots out to die to every 10 years and oh also you're a dream and don't exist, but it's still your story imaginary dude!

It's just the sidemissions in X-2 which can be dumb and full of wacky poo poo. But even that makes perfect sense in a world where for hundreds of years, people were living in fear of constant and sudden death, no technological progress was allowed ever and the major overly controlling religion turned out to be a lie and a race of people the religion said were evil were actually good and were right. People are going to live a little and go a bit overboard with the prospect of eternal peace.

I didn't realize Brother was only in sidemissions. Or the entirety of Chapter 2 where the girls have to get disguised to sneak into a place they could easily slaughter their way into because it's full of mooks you have been destroying since the game started. Or everything to do with Hypellos.

You're really oversimplifying X's story simply to poo poo on it and praise X-2's.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Girl power is good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

X-2 has the best story of any mainline Final Fantasy, and indeed, anything else ever made by humans.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Girl power is good

Depends how it's done. The funny thing about X=2 is that I've known men and women who hate it because they see it as pandering to the opposite gender. Guys think it's too girly because it's a dress-up game starring girls where they giggle a lot and give each other obnoxious high fives. Girls hate it because women changing clothes from revealing outfit to even more revealing outfit is pretty blatantly there to appeal to a male audience.

I personally have no problem with either "girly" things or fanservice but I can see why some dislike them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm not responsible for other people's bad opinions.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

i don't think the story of x is all that original either but you clearly didn't really get what the "this is my story" stuff was all about

which is impressive bc Yuna literally says "this is OUR story" at one point so no-one would miss it

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

exquisite tea posted:

X-2 has the best story of any mainline Final Fantasy, and indeed, anything else ever made by humans.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I dropped ffx-2 after forgetting to talk to a villager in luca and missing 0.2% completion, hope you're using a guide if you want that 100% secret ending

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I dropped ffx-2 after forgetting to talk to a villager in luca and missing 0.2% completion, hope you're using a guide if you want that 100% secret ending

The great thing about trying to 100% X2 is that the game invites the player to completely miss the point of the story.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Alternatively don't get the 100% ending because the regular ending is thematically stronger and way more satisfying.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Using a guide and doing a lot of boring bullshit to see 10 extra seconds tacked on to the ending (that also makes it worse) is pretty dumb when you can just youtube it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're not supposed to be able to get 100% on one play through that's why the timing in incredibly tight and half of the stuff you wouldn't realise without a guide.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
barring everything else, X-2 has tons of extra credit percentage points. they aren't needed to get a perfect score, and a lot of them aren't very hard to get.

via infinito is a fully optional dungeon that iirc gives something like 1% completion for every 20 floors you do, down to 100 floors. furthermore, choosing to side with nooj or baralai gives mutually exclusive completion for doing their factions' missions, and this completion percentage carries over to new game plus. siding with the other group gives you even more extra credit. iirc monster arena is also a fully optional part of the game that provides more bonus percentage on top of all this.

reaching 100% in X-2 isn't daunting at all, you can easily make it despite skipping tons of poo poo

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'll hop back into FFXIV but i'm super worried about learning to tank again as I think level 30 or so.

NikkolasKing posted:

So how are you finding FFVI and the romhack?