Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I had a really hard time enjoying this, from the uncompelling characters (aside from Boat Dad, god Mark Rylance is a treasure) an awful dialogue mix+British mumbling and a perpetually near-unseen enemy. Nolan didn't make an anti-war movie, he made an un-war movie.

The delayed timescales kinda worked but it never really felt like it was coming together. Zimmers stopwatch ticking score didn't do much for me either.

It's gorgeous and the effects sounds are lovely and detailed but that's about it. Nolan isn't good at making human, connected films but this one felt like a documentary with an immaculate budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Casimir Radon posted:

I read something yesterday that said Spitfires have been known to glide for 15 miles so that's not too unrealistic. Shooting down a Stuka while gliding is pushing things a but though.

I thought about that and the best I could figure is that they just weren't expecting him to be there whatsoever, so they weren't even looking.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Georgia Peach posted:

I thought about that and the best I could figure is that they just weren't expecting him to be there whatsoever, so they weren't even looking.

Well they definitely wouldn't hear him at least.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“A Sometimes Food”" post="“474695259”"]
Well they definitely wouldn’t hear him at least.
[/quote]

Would a Stuka hear anyone with those sirens?

It was unrealistic, but not horribly so. Stukas were sitting ducks without fighter support.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I feel the movie focus on raw empathy in detriment for personal drama by basically attacking you non-stop with dire scenarios of survivability and always keeping you in the edge. It's as much a narrative device as the time frame one is, only it employs recognizable faces on these barely characters to help we develop an attachment. Still, the movie is short of great because that kinda limits it, I mean, if you didn't knew it was Tom Hardy flying the plane would you care for his ultimate fate?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Krispy Kareem posted:

And gently caress the complete lack of names because now everyone is spoken of in relation to the recognizable people in each timeline.

I really liked this. I'm fairly sure that the only character that's even named is George, the innocent young boy killed on the Moonstone which thematically I think is quite telling.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

Still, the movie is short of great because that kinda limits it, I mean, if you didn't knew it was Tom Hardy flying the plane would you care for his ultimate fate?

I didn't know who he was and I did. I brought my old mom to see it and (aside from nearly having a heart attack at times) her takeaway was that she was "sad that he didn't get away."

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I almost want to see it in a non-imax movie to see just how will the movie hold up without a bigass screen and amazing sound system.

Or maybe I'll just go to imax again.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

GazChap posted:

I really liked this. I'm fairly sure that the only character that's even named is George, the innocent young boy killed on the Moonstone which thematically I think is quite telling.

The blonde fighter pilot is named, although I don't remember what it was

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

RubricMarine posted:

I didn't know who he was and I did. I brought my old mom to see it and (aside from nearly having a heart attack at times) her takeaway was that she was "sad that he didn't get away."

He's going to spend the next five years having fun hijinks with Colonel Klink instead of getting his face burned off in the Battle of Britain so it's not all bad.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

duckmaster posted:

You don't lead a target when the aircraft is fitted with a gyro gunsight, a

Which didn't exist at this point in the war, so he'd be leading his target, which would have confused the audience.

Unkempt posted:

He's going to spend the next five years having fun hijinks with Colonel Klink instead of getting his face burned off in the Battle of Britain so it's not all bad.

Or he could maybe do like Bob Hoover did: Escape from a POW camp, steal a loving Fw-190, and fly to safety.

Bob Hoover could have shot down that Ju-88 with a dead stick, too.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

Ammanas posted:

The blonde fighter pilot is named, although I don't remember what it was

Count Rostov, if I remember correctly.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cacator posted:

I'm no expert but when they showed the reticule it was moving around in a way that looked like it would have been on some kind of stabilization system i.e. a gyro.

Those gunsights moved when you moved that's because of the way the gunsight works not because of a gyro. Like when you look at the gunsight from the side it'll look distorted and different than looking at it from the front. Plus the sight itself jiggling, and the camera moving around. Its just an optical thing

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Phi230 posted:

Those gunsights moved when you moved that's because of the way the gunsight works not because of a gyro. Like when you look at the gunsight from the side it'll look distorted and different than looking at it from the front. Plus the sight itself jiggling, and the camera moving around. Its just an optical thing

I thought the camera was stationary whenever it was in that position but I'd need another viewing to confirm that.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
leading a target isn't something audiences would find confusing though seriously now

it's funny tho because Gold Leader was consistently shooting behind the bf109 while tom hardy was pretty much bang on the money every time

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I actually liked this movie. Gunshots were loud as hell and not every character gets a happy ending or their just desserts. A war movie about war. Cool.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Casimir Radon posted:

Nolan should make a movie about the Blitz. Maybe he wants to do something else adter all the work that went into this but that's what I want to see.

Because of some bad planning we got to theater late so the first thing we saw was Dawson casting off. How much did we miss, 10 minutes?

Couldn't agree more after watching this.

I honestly feel his talents are best served directing epic films based on true events. There are plenty of stories to tell from both World Wars that deserve his masterful touch.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Saw it in 70mm. Incredible movie all around. Breakneck tension, gorgeous cinematography, and an ensemble cast that all perform with a realistic desperation. It reminded me of Mad Max: Fury Road in pacing. Really tight editing and script. An understated masterpiece that will probably go down as Nolan's best, and I'm completely ok with that. I'm a huge Nolan buff, but I'd say this movie works so well because it's the least "Nolan-esque" in storytelling, but maintains his masterful touch in actually filming a movie.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I've got kind of an unusual complaint about the movie in that I think it actually needed more CGI. I think the overall problem with it is that the cinematography exposes some pretty poor action choreography, especially with the aerial combat. It's just really telling that they are flying 75-year-old planes and are deathly afraid of crashing them. Each combat sequence basically involves the planes gently swooping around, then some white smoke, and finally the stricken plane gently glides into the Channel.

That felt in complete contrast to the rest of the film which mostly consisted of sudden violence interrupting supposed peace and security. The CGI Stukas fit into the rest of the movie better, because they could do more with them.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Wild Horses posted:

leading a target isn't something audiences would find confusing though seriously now

it's funny tho because Gold Leader was consistently shooting behind the bf109 while tom hardy was pretty much bang on the money every time

Gold Leader is one of the "old breed" of aristocratic RAF pilots who got their commission through connections, has no combat experience, and hasn't been practicing his deflection shooting lately. Tom Hardy is younger and quicker.

I thought the movie was good, but it made me vaguely uneasy and I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. Made me cry twice though. Good use of Nimrod.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Simplex posted:

I've got kind of an unusual complaint about the movie in that I think it actually needed more CGI. I think the overall problem with it is that the cinematography exposes some pretty poor action choreography, especially with the aerial combat. It's just really telling that they are flying 75-year-old planes and are deathly afraid of crashing them. Each combat sequence basically involves the planes gently swooping around, then some white smoke, and finally the stricken plane gently glides into the Channel.

That felt in complete contrast to the rest of the film which mostly consisted of sudden violence interrupting supposed peace and security. The CGI Stukas fit into the rest of the movie better, because they could do more with them.

I didn't really even consider it, but I did really enjoy the pacing and palette of the aerial stuff as a break from the harsh and brutal beach scenes. I took it as more of the early stages of aerial combat were pretty simple and calm comparatively. The editing of the movie was so loving good that I didn't even notice even though you're 100% right.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
This was like The Longest Day but less than two hours. In other words, the perfect movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I thought the aerial combat really captured this feel of how random it all felt- not much in the way of radar, so yeah the enemy just sweeps behind you and now you're dead.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

I didn't really even consider it, but I did really enjoy the pacing and palette of the aerial stuff as a break from the harsh and brutal beach scenes. I took it as more of the early stages of aerial combat were pretty simple and calm comparatively. The editing of the movie was so loving good that I didn't even notice even though you're 100% right.

It's weird because I liked it at first, and I think flying one of those single seat WW2 fighters most have been one of the greatest feelings in the world... Up until the moment that your wing gets shot off sending you into an unrecoverable spin and crashing to your death. The movie captures the joy, but I don't think it really pulls off the terror very well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did anyone else feel like Tom hardy may have been slacking off due to fumes getting into his cockpit after he lost his gauge?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Flying one of those high power prop fighters in the 40s must have been heaven

BobMorane
Oct 25, 2010

Wild Horses posted:

Flying one of those high power prop fighters in the 40s must have been heaven

Or you could end up in hostile airspace with only a few short familiarisation flights behind you in an overpowered airframe that's eager to enter unexplored and exciting flight modes !

As for the movie, it didn't really do it for me... Very pretty as noted (those shots of the spit gliding over the beach...), but the sense of space and scale was kinda hosed up by some of Nolan's choices. I am also not sure what message the movie was going for ? Private prettiboy's arc is very much "war is fear/waiting/survival", but then Hardy's is pretty heroic killing half the Luftwaffe and chosing to "sacrifice" himself.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

^ sure but actually flying them would've been awesome, considering flight had been around for like 40 years tops
Take it from ace honda https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JitLr5D7LSI

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 26, 2017

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Was George a real person, or maybe from a work of fiction?

Seeing his parts play out gave me a strong feeling of deja vu. I'm sure I'd heard about a kid who fell on a boat, went blind and died. I think we read about him at school, but I can't remember anything other than feeling upset that he died. He seems like an unlikely subject at my Norwegian school too. Our WWII classes were either about the overall events or the local resistance.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 26, 2017

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Gave me deja vu too, but then I realized I was confusing it with that episode of Voyager with the Doctor's holographic daughter that went blind and then died playing holosports.

BobMorane
Oct 25, 2010

Wild Horses posted:

^ sure but actually flying them would've been awesome, considering flight had been around for like 40 years tops
Take it from ace honda https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JitLr5D7LSI

Yep ! But then I would do unspeakable things to fly in one of those in TYOOL 2017 :-)

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

BobMorane posted:

I am also not sure what message the movie was going for ? Private prettiboy's arc is very much "war is fear/waiting/survival", but then Hardy's is pretty heroic killing half the Luftwaffe and chosing to "sacrifice" himself.

It's probably too generous to Nolan given the incredibly bad politics in his other movies, but the best message I see is the disconnect between ludicrous stories we tell about war and the realities of war. I say generous here because I don't believe the movie has anything critical to say about what heroism is or isn't.

It's real pretty though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Donnerberg posted:

Seeing his parts play out gave me a strong feeling of deja vu. I'm sure I'd heard about a kid who fell on a boat, went blind and died. I think we read about him at school, but I can't remember anything other than feeling upset that he died. He seems like an unlikely subject at my Norwegian school too. Our WWII classes were either about the overall events or the local resistance.
None of the characters are explicitly real people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It seems like the movie missed the mark on some of the "emotional" scenes, which stick out because they cut into the tension and came across cheesy. The arrival of the small boats is this big triumphant fanfare that immediately smash cuts back to "of gently caress of gently caress oh gently caress"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Donnerberg posted:

That trio was pretty clearly based on Charles Lightoller, who was previously the second officer on the Titanic and commanded a destroyer during WWI. The RN requisitioned his motor yacht for the evacuation, but he decided that if anyone was going to sail it to France it would be him, and left port with his son and a local boy scout on board.

So George is sort of based on that boy scout, but the boy scout was actually 18, and none of the other stuff like picking up a soldier from a sunken ship and subsequent events actually happened. They did rescue the crew of another stricken vessel and then picked up over 100 troops and went home.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Arcsquad12 posted:

It seems like the movie missed the mark on some of the "emotional" scenes, which stick out because they cut into the tension and came across cheesy. The arrival of the small boats is this big triumphant fanfare that immediately smash cuts back to "of gently caress of gently caress oh gently caress"

I think that was on purpose

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Phanatic posted:

That trio was pretty clearly based on Charles Lightoller, who was previously the second officer on the Titanic and commanded a destroyer during WWI. The RN requisitioned his motor yacht for the evacuation, but he decided that if anyone was going to sail it to France it would be him, and left port with his son and a local boy scout on board.

So George is sort of based on that boy scout, but the boy scout was actually 18, and none of the other stuff like picking up a soldier from a sunken ship and subsequent events actually happened. They did rescue the crew of another stricken vessel and then picked up over 100 troops and went home.

Cool. I must've been exposed to that story at some point then. Thanks, for clearing that up.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
How could I not like a movie that stars Mark Rylance as the Soul of Britain?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

That had to be deliberate. George's fate is about as anticlimactic as it could possibly be. I think the fact life is cheap and easily disposable comes across multiple times. Like all that effort to get wounded onto a ship which then sinks killing all of them. There's a certain resignation and stiff upper lip that's hopelessly British.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Or he could maybe do like Bob Hoover did: Escape from a POW camp, steal a loving Fw-190, and fly to safety.

Bob Hoover could have shot down that Ju-88 with a dead stick, too.

Wait what :stare:

*looks up Bob Hoover via wikipedia*

quote:

During World War II, Hoover was sent to Casablanca, where his first major assignment was flight testing the assembled aircraft ready for service.[8] He was later assigned to the Spitfire-equipped 52d Fighter Group in Sicily.[9] On February 9, 1944, on his 59th mission, his malfunctioning Mark V Spitfire was shot down by 96-victory ace Ltn Siegfried Lemke of Jagdgeschwader 2[10] in a Focke-Wulf Fw 190 off the coast of Southern France, and he was taken prisoner.[11] He spent 16 months at the German prison camp Stalag Luft 1 in Barth, Germany.[12]

After a staged fight covered his escape from the prison camp, Hoover managed to steal a Fw 190 from a recovery unit's unguarded field — the one flyable plane being kept there for spare parts — and flew to safety in the Netherlands.[13]

God drat. I'd give up a year of my life to have a drink with this man and hear his story.

• Locked thread