Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

And we then have traded their Queen for our remaining Knight and one Bishop. Ok but not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

sebzilla posted:

And we then have traded their Queen for our remaining Knight and one Bishop. Ok but not great.

That's actually extremely excellent?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I guess in terms of points but their Queen isn't doing much now and our Bishop is well developed so situationally a bigger loss. And if they spot it we've wiggled a Knight around for minimal gain.

I'm staying firm on Bf4 as our next move with maybe Nc3 to follow if nothing comes of it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Tbh though I should stop focusing on scenarios where our opponents fall for some blindly obvious trap. I think this game has probably demonstrated that enough pairs of eyes automatically negates all that tomfoolery. A single move of Qc7 fixes 100% of our opponent's problems and forces us to sacrifice our bishop into their knight with no major gain.

New vote: Be3 as outlined by fat Samurai. Even if we don't mind our pawn being taken, It's just a solid move. Perhaps we could frustrate our opponent to victory? Choke them out of decent moves on their meager board until they grow frustrated enough to play a bad offensive.

sebzilla posted:

I guess in terms of points but their Queen isn't doing much now and our Bishop is well developed so situationally a bigger loss. And if they spot it we've wiggled a Knight around for minimal gain.

I'm staying firm on Bf4 as our next move with maybe Nc3 to follow if nothing comes of it.

For the same marginal likelihood of success reason, I don't think Bf4 offers us much. It's straight up a poor position for our bishop if our opponents do not fall for the trap you suggested.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

jon joe posted:

A single move of Qc7 fixes 100% of our opponent's problems and forces us to sacrifice our bishop into their knight with no major gain.

I don't think Bf4 offers us much. It's straight up a poor position for our bishop if our opponents do not fall for the trap you suggested.

Granted.

It does stop Qc7 being an option of any sort for them, though.

So of we want to limit their potential moves and force them into making a bad one, Bf4 is a much more proactive approach to it than Nc3.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 25, 2017

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

sebzilla posted:

Granted.

It does stop Qc7 being an option of any sort for them, though.

So of we want to limit their potential moves and force them into making a bad one, Bf4 is a much more proactive approach to it than Nc3.

Yeah but what happens if they just pull their bishop into the same line? We'll be forced to either trade or move back to Be3.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Seems like an interesting time to d5 in that case. Maybe. I haven't followed that all through yet.

Really I need to look at this properly tonight instead of quickly on my phone when I should be working!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Bishop in 1c to e3: Be3 If black does something without tempo next turn we should follow this up with pawn in d4 to d5.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Sebzilla's convinced me. Putting our bishop on f4 keeps their king from moving anywhere else. Bf4.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Cloud Potato posted:

Sebzilla's convinced me. Putting our bishop on f4 keeps their king from moving anywhere else. Bf4.

I don't think they'll be moving it anyway.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Don't think I've voted yet. Be3

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Nc3 still sounds good

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

changing my vote to be3 which does everything I wanted from my last vote, but better. I also am not convinced about the efficacy of nc3. No matter how I play out events on the left side of the board, I don't see our bishop getting into danger, and the knight only factors into play if they fall for some fairly obvious trap, which they won't.

I also really don't see what they develop at this point that isn't terrible for them, except maybe their bishop. But even then, there's nothing for it to threaten quickly. I really struggle to see the good moves Black has at this point in the game.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Let's go with be3

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Be3 because I saw it and "frustrate our opponent" in the same post.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I really don't see the benefit of Be3 over Bf4. It protects d4 but if our plan is to then (or soon) go to d5 then that's fairly meaningless, especially as we have no problems with d4 being attacked anyway. And it does nothing else to threaten any black pieces. What's the big attraction that I'm missing?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Friendly reminder: When changing your votes, please indicate in the same post what you are changing your vote from :)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
BE3 I suppose. Rather uncertain on these moves myself.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Be3 wins the vote!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Well, ok then. Is this the first time we've failed to reach a majority consensus in 24 hours?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3

Black has 24 hours to decide on a move.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Well, ok then. Is this the first time we've failed to reach a majority consensus in 24 hours?

Nah, c3 and c4 were simmilarly divisive.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
This board is looking pretty snazzy for us, if I do say so myself.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I already told Covski this, but I'll be ducking out for a while for real life reasons. If the game is still going when I have time again I'll continue to contribute, but until then I leave this game in all of your very capable hands.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Well, time to forfeit.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Flip the table, you mean.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
We just have to punch the other team in the face.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's simple, all we have to do is Flip the Chessboard!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I don't think Blitz 3d chess will catch on, so please don't flip the table.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
WWBD

What Would Battler Do?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Pawn in d4 to d5: d5 Explanation later.

Edit: I missed that knight to threaten queen move, but I will let this vote stand anyway.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 28, 2017

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So, is this a time to continue developing our side of the board, or should we attempt a counter-offensive? As I am a novice, I can't find any moves that are immediately beneficial to us, and don't get me started on playing the long game. I don't think bringing any pawns up will improve our quality of life, and and openly offensive moves we make right now, we won't come out on top.

But then again, I have no clue what I'm doing anyways.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Good luck with the real life things, Jon Joe. You'll be missed.

Thinking out loud (typing, whatever): Taking the c6 knight is very silly, since it'd go our bishop->their pawn-> our queen->their queen. Pawn to d5 helps us threaten that knight, but would probably be taken by their e-pawn, giving it the rook's protection as it marches down the board. Bishop to f4 would be a big loss of tempo, and they woudn't throw their queen away like that, so that's out. Beyond that, there's still a handful of development moves, Knight to c3 is still on the table, and pawn to b3 would strengthen our c4 pawn. Or we could try rook to d1, and give our d-pawn more support.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ok, that Knight is no longer pinned. Options:

Pawn to d5 (unless I'm missing something) is easily countered with Ke5 and we have to retreat our queen, completely losing both control of the centre and momentum. At that point, Black can easily take our c4 pawn after chasing our bishop away with a6.

Black to move.

On the other hand if we don't defend our d4 pawn (say, we move our queen knight), Black can take d4 with their Knight, we take their knight with our bishop and they take our bishop with their rook, recovering a pawn and leaving their rook smack dab in the middle of the board.

White to move. Horrible. Our Bishop is blocked, and if chased away our other pawn is dead.

We could take their bishop with our pawn, which ends up with the sequence Cloud Potato hast posted, which isn't nice for our development but leaves their queen side pawns completely isolated, but playing a pawn game will be boring.

White to move. Not bad, but we lose the Bishop pair, which would be nice with such open lines.

I suggest Rd1 as the only way to keep our pawn and control of the centre.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 28, 2017

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, that Knight is no longer pinned. Options:

Pawn to d5 (unless I'm missing something) is easily countered with Ke5 and we have to retreat our queen, completely losing both control of the centre and momentum. At that point, Black can easily take our c4 pawn after chasing our bishop away with a6.

Black to move.
One possible counter to this: move our queen to f4 instead of retreating to g3, although this probably ends in mutually assured queen destruction. (One possible line: d5 Ne5, Qf4 Ng4 (since Nf3+, Qc3).)

Fat Samurai posted:

On the other hand if we don't defend our d4 pawn (say, we move our queen knight), Black can take d4 with their Knight, we take their knight with our bishop and they take our bishop with their rook, recovering a pawn and leaving their rook smack dab in the middle of the board.

White to move. Horrible. Our Bishop is blocked, and if chased away our other pawn is dead.
Then Qe3 makes the rook run away (Although I'd expect they'd play Rxc4, Bxc4 Qxc4).

Fat Samurai posted:

We could take their bishop with our pawn, which ends up with the sequence Cloud Potato hast posted, which isn't nice for our development but leaves their queen side pawns completely isolated, but playing a pawn game will be boring.

White to move. Not bad, but we lose the Bishop pair, which would be nice with such open lines.
The sequence I posited leaves their queen on c6, not a pawn. Much worse.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Cloud Potato posted:

One possible counter to this: move our queen to f4 instead of retreating to g3, although this probably ends in mutually assured queen destruction. (One possible line: d5 Ne5, Qf4 Ng4 (since Nf3+, Qc3).)

Still losing a pawn. For example: 11. d5 Ke5 12. Qf4 a6 13. Ba4 exd5 14.cxd5 Kxd5 and the queen has to run away again (if the queen checks at this point it can be chased away easily with g7).

Cloud Potato posted:

Then Qe3 makes the rook run away

Still losing a pawn.

In both cases is very easy to setup a d column rook train, which can cause all sorts of trouble later on (like pinning our rooks to the 1 row)

Cloud Potato posted:

The sequence I posited leaves their queen on c6, not a pawn. Much worse.
Yeah, we wouldn't take their pawn with our Queen in that case. It still fucks up their pawn structure something fierce and blocks the c column their Queen is at.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Current board

We have a lot of pressure put on their queen right now. If we were to move our bishop to F4, they would have exactly three legal moves to make without losing the queen (or sacrificing a pawn needlessly) and that's queen to e7 (which initiates the bishop-knight exchange we've talked about a lot) queen to a5 (which would be a very tenuous position for the queen to be in once we move our pawn to a4) or queen to b6. b6 is probably the best move they can make, but playing it out it doesn't really give them many options. However, it's better to initiate that after doing rd1 since a lot of the action will continue to center around d, and we'd want our rook in the mix there. However, moving Bf4 next round may be a good choice, depending on what they do (i'm starting to regret not doing it last move, TBH)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Phoneposting, sorry. Just grabbing oath2order post to have a board linked.

oath2order posted:

Current board

If we were to move our bishop to F4, they would have exactly three legal moves to make without losing the queen (or sacrificing a pawn needlessly) and that's queen to e7 (which initiates the bishop-knight exchange we've talked about a lot) queen to a5 (which would be a very tenuous position for the queen to be in once we move our pawn to a4) or queen to b6. b6 is probably the best move they can make, but playing it out it doesn't really give them many options. However, it's better to initiate that after doing rd1 since a lot of the action will continue to center around d, and we'd want our rook in the mix there. However, moving Bf4 next round may be a good choice, depending on what they do (i'm starting to regret not doing it last move, TBH)

If BF4 right now:

11. Bf4 Kxd4 and we're forced to trade queens

12. Bc7 Kxf3+ 13. gxf3 Kxf7 and we've lost our pawn advantage and our King is more exposed than theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Phoneposting, sorry. Just grabbing oath2order post to have a board linked.

If BF4 right now:

11. Bf4 Kxd4 and we're forced to trade queens

12. Bc7 Kxf3+ 13. gxf3 Kxf7 and we've lost our pawn advantage and our King is more exposed than theirs.

You are correct. I missed that play.

• Locked thread