Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The way of the Explosion is a long and arduous one, that much is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Wark Say posted:

he mostly enjoys bullying her
none of her masochistic nonsense.
I don't see where these two things go together. She gets off on being mocked and ignored, he mocks and ignores her.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Kazuma loves his dumb bad sister and his yelly best friend.

He also loves Darkness, he is just completely 1000% over her bullshit.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rand Brittain posted:

Aqua reminds me a lot of Inspector Clouseau in that her problems still not so much from the fact that she's stupid, as from the fact that she never accepts that she has any limitations and thus continues to smack into them again and again, and is still surprised every time.

This and that she doesn't seem to understand that some of those limitations are the 'we don't care how good you are at High Priest/Goddess thing we don't want you to do that thing period' IE her purifying water thing.

Wark Say posted:

Kazuma's relationship with everyone in his party boils down to this:

Kazuma likes explosions and appreciates that aside from the Crimson Demon thing and her obsession with Explosions Megumin's the next level-headed member of the party and he's learned to really appreciate that.

I need to get more of the Light Novels to see if Kazuma's threat/promise of forcing Darkness to do something she would find so absolutely horrid/despicable comes to fruition. I hope it's forcing her to learn an attack skill.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

This and that she doesn't seem to understand that some of those limitations are the 'we don't care how good you are at High Priest/Goddess thing we don't want you to do that thing period' IE her purifying water thing.

Kazuma likes explosions and appreciates that aside from the Crimson Demon thing and her obsession with Explosions Megumin's the next level-headed member of the party and he's learned to really appreciate that.

I need to get more of the Light Novels to see if Kazuma's threat/promise of forcing Darkness to do something she would find so absolutely horrid/despicable comes to fruition. I hope it's forcing her to learn an attack skill.

He's going to make her wear magical armor so powerful that she can't be hurt.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kytrarewn posted:

I don't see where these two things go together. She gets off on being mocked and ignored, he mocks and ignores her.
I dunno. He seems to be in a strange balance where he's too fond of her to actually ignore her but he's also kinda just peeved at the fact that she's this huge, masochistic pervo.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kytrarewn posted:

Kazuma enjoys mocking Darkness, but he doesn't enjoy it sexually; so they can't really be in a relationship, because he wants to keep his sarcasm and his sex life separate and wouldn't enjoy having to do that kind of routine in bed.

quote:

She doesn't seem to do that on purpose. The problem is that she never recognizes that she has a problem with unintentionally purifying things and thus keeps wandering into situations where she handles things that shouldn't be purified without really taking any precautions.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Rand Brittain posted:

Kazuma enjoys mocking Darkness, but he doesn't enjoy it sexually; so they can't really be in a relationship, because he wants to keep his sarcasm and his sex life separate and wouldn't enjoy having to do that kind of routine in bed.

She doesn't seem to do that on purpose. The problem is that she never recognizes that she has a problem with unintentionally purifying things and thus keeps wandering into situations where she handles things that shouldn't be purified without really taking any precautions.

She's at least aware of the fact that it happens, since she does it on purpose to gently caress with Kazuma when he's doing his rich act.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

But not that it can be a problem :v:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kytrarewn posted:

Kazuma likes having someone who he can just go "OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU ARE THE WORST AT WHAT YOU DO" and they actually listen for a change.

It just happens that Darkness listens because it gets her off, and he is incredibly done with that nonsense after so many monster attacks ending in him getting beat up

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Bless this wonderful world.

So glad to get another season, if it's all doing well then stay the course and to all the LN material, even if you need to have a few year break somewhere in there!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Two season of anime have adapted volumes 1-4. There are 12 LNs with more on the way + 6 spinoff novels (4 of Megumin, 1 of Vanir, 1 of Dust) + several short stories. And they cut a bunch of scenes from the first four volumes, including some really good ones. For instance, the one where Kazuma meets Dust.

They're not hurting for material. Just budget, I guess.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
someone mentioned the first ova and i realized i had never seen it and i think the most offensive thing about it is the absolutely terrible form darkness has while doing push ups. and she's supposed to be the athletic member of the party :mad:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Vengarr posted:

For instance, the one where Kazuma meets Dust.

I just got the mangas and read this part. This was really great and it's too bad it wasn't added but I can see why they did not. Ten episode seasons don't leave much wiggle room.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sexpig by night posted:

Kazuma likes having someone who he can just go "OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU ARE THE WORST AT WHAT YOU DO" and they actually listen for a change.

It just happens that Darkness listens because it gets her off, and he is incredibly done with that nonsense after so many monster attacks ending in him getting beat up

Though as he stated earlier in the season he would not mind replacing her with someone more useful. As shown by him trying to get Darkness married off.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Except for the bit where he fights tooth and nail to keep her around in general.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

someone mentioned the first ova and i realized i had never seen it and i think the most offensive thing about it is the absolutely terrible form darkness has while doing push ups. and she's supposed to be the athletic member of the party :mad:

If she does them with incorrect form she might hurt herself and she likes that.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Darkness is absolutely someone who would be big into Crossfit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though as he stated earlier in the season he would not mind replacing her with someone more useful. As shown by him trying to get Darkness married off.

He's pretty much full of poo poo when he does this, though. He tries to get her married off, she pushes back, the two of them fall to dumb bickering because they're idiots and it's painfully apparent to everyone around including Darkness's father that they're actually good friends despite everything.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I'm pretty sure because of all the rampant idiocy and shenanigans that Kazuma occasionally forgets that most of their problems originate either from himself (for being lazy about something) or Aqua (for also being lazy about something,) the two members of his party that he literally cannot ditch.

Kanos posted:

He's pretty much full of poo poo when he does this, though. He tries to get her married off, she pushes back, the two of them fall to dumb bickering because they're idiots and it's painfully apparent to everyone around including Darkness's father that they're actually good friends despite everything.

I wouldn't be surprised if her Father and the nobility get the idea that they're a little bit more than friends after what happened during that along with the resolution to it. It's too perfect a comedic setup.

darkness kazuma isn't using the camera lens to moon you with his butt stop staring at it like that stop it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

a good girl

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Kazuma can't give Darkness what she wants because what she wants is too extreme to be actually possible. It wouldn't work and he knows it. As much as it seems like it would work out on a surface level, it would be a hell of a toxic relationship. Darkness is actually crazy. Lovable, but crazy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Darkness is a poser. A big, lovable poser.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'm pretty sure because of all the rampant idiocy and shenanigans that Kazuma occasionally forgets that most of their problems originate either from himself (for being lazy about something) or Aqua (for also being lazy about something,) the two members of his party that he literally cannot ditch.

I seem to recall people mentioning that there was a party swap in the LNs and Kazuma ended up doing way better than with the chucklefuck brigade.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I seem to recall people mentioning that there was a party swap in the LNs and Kazuma ended up doing way better than with the chucklefuck brigade.

The problem with Kazuma's party is it's hyperspecialized against a very few things, even aside from all the personality issues. Specifically, they're effective against boss monsters and undead (when Aqua actually remembers her exorcism powers and isn't running screaming from them), and of very limited utility against anything else*. Combine this with Kazuma being at least somewhat tactical and putting him in charge of a more normal party would make him do a lot better against most encounters. Meanwhile, someone who doesn't understand both that hyperspecialization, AND how to corral them, is going to do horribly with the others.

The other side to that though is that said normal party would have been slaughtered against any of the demon generals he keeps running into.

*: Darkness because she both can't actually deal damage in 99% of battles because she can't hit anything, and has no taunt to actually make enemies pay attention to her, and Megumin because in normal circumstances she can only nuke once a day. No real excuse for Aqua, other than her terrible intelligence.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 26, 2017

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Kaptain posted:

Can't have an OVA without boobslap i guess.

Which OVA is this from ?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

mpyro posted:

Which OVA is this from ?

The new one presumably. The previous one also featured boobslap, Yunyun specifically.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The new one is out for those who want to see it.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

MonsterEnvy posted:

The new one is out for those who want to see it.

This was amazing. I will never get tired of Kazuma lying in the bed he's made for himself.

Kazuma is the worst, and that's great.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
I missed these idiots so much :kimchi:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Wark Say posted:

I'm guessing that part of the reason she's extra nice to Aqua is due to the fact that she's scared shitless of Aqua actually killing exorcising her.

In the side stories, Wiz and Aqua actually get along extremely well together. It drives Vanir absolutely insane as they often get stuck in a feedback loop of terrible, terrible ideas that he has to eventually fix.

Lord Koth posted:

and has no taunt to actually make enemies pay attention to her

Darkness does have a taunt. It gets mentioned in the books but not in the anime. It is like the one important thing that she does have, because she actually wants all the monsters to hit her.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nalin posted:

In the side stories, Wiz and Aqua actually get along extremely well together. It drives Vanir absolutely insane as they often get stuck in a feedback loop of terrible, terrible ideas that he has to eventually fix.

Darkness does have a taunt. It gets mentioned in the books but not in the anime. It is like the one important thing that she does have, because she actually wants all the monsters to hit her.

Yeah, had forgotten about that, though I seem to recall this being a case of Kazuma forcing her to spend points to take the skill at some point, rather than her initially having it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nalin posted:

Ah, goddammit! This is gonna make me break my vow!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I just watched the latest OVA and Darkness' taunt was actually mentioned in it. I do seem to recall that Kazuma got her to take it though, but I think it was more like that was the only skill she was willing to learn since it just enables her.

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014
Apparently i'm wrong, i mistook the character from the screen as the other monstrous woman with whip who wanted to violate Kazuma. Liking how the anime expands on the artificer dude background.

"Darkness is going to be violated, I'm going to be traumatised, and Megumin is going to cause huge amount of collateral damage that will put us in debt again." For someone with below average intelligence she sure nailed down the party modus operandi.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eela6 posted:

This was amazing. I will never get tired of Kazuma lying in the bed he's made for himself.

Kazuma is the worst, and that's great.

I'm pretty sure Aqua is the worst.

Kazuma comes in second. (But he tries harder!)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Kazuma's angry baby tantrum at the end was extremely good

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Kaptain posted:

Liking how the anime expands on the artificer dude background.

OH MY GOD!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Kazuma's angry baby tantrum at the end was extremely good

He can be a lovely person sometimes but I would be Kauzma's friend.:unsmith: