Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zogo posted:

The first hour or so reminded me of Cast Away (2000) except Wilson is played by a monkey rather than a volleyball. I prefer Enemy Mine (1985) overall or the older Planet of the Vampires (1965). Which reminds me I need to find and watch Queen of Blood (1966) somehow.

Some other opinions:

Planet of the Vampires owns very hard. Thanks for those other opinions. Can't wait to watch it this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Planet of the Vampires owns very hard. Thanks for those other opinions. Can't wait to watch it this weekend.

Maybe temper your expectations a bit, just because Planet of the Vampires is Bava and Robinson Crusoe isn't. So while it's still visually interesting, it's still not quite up to the level of something Bava would make.

Not trying to make you feel bad about your purchase, it's a good movie, just not as stylish as Planet of the Vampires.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe temper your expectations a bit, just because Planet of the Vampires is Bava and Robinson Crusoe isn't. So while it's still visually interesting, it's still not quite up to the level of something Bava would make.

Not trying to make you feel bad about your purchase, it's a good movie, just not as stylish as Planet of the Vampires.

Penismightier's rec is what has me more excited for the movie, more than the Planet of the Vampires comparison.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Had a doctor's appointment near B&N, so I picked up Stalker, La Dolce Vita, and Persona.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kinda annoyed that my copy of Stalker hasn't shipped yet. I was hoping to have it in hand tomorrow or Friday.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dunno if my copy was a one off, but everybody double check your copy of Stalker to see if they included the booklet.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The_Rob posted:

Merry Christmas Mr Laurence was interesting because I had seen some video about it and it just looked so ambitious and heartbreaking. The uninvited was a total blind buy. I had never heard of it before but I usually like haunted house movies.

It has such a brilliant score. That main melody is beautiful. It's a shame Forbidden Colors isn't on the Criterion at all, since that's also an awesome song (it's the vocal version of the main theme).

What's interesting was how the dialog changed. Originally, the script was written with the British talking like the Japanese would, and during translation, the translator was really confused. He's like "it sounds like they're always hiding things."

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
https://twitter.com/charles_kinbote/status/887685572315295744

:vince:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I had the exact same idea.

Also, I watched the trailer for The Lure and it looks awesome.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

I had the exact same idea.

Also, I watched the trailer for The Lure and it looks awesome.

I saw the trailer before it hit theaters, but I never heard anything about it, good or otherwise. Looked interesting.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I see you all mention Stalker, but I know nothing about it. Can someone sell me on it?

Right now my picks for next and possibly last pickup are Short Cuts, Crumb (which I've seen, but Ghost World has given me a hankering for it), Boyhood, Multiple Maniacs, Paris Texas, and Night of the Hunter.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Those are all extremely good picks, especially Short Cuts.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
‪WOW Before Sunset has one of the best endings I've ever seen in a movie.‬

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Unmature posted:

‪WOW Before Sunset has one of the best endings I've ever seen in a movie.‬

Second has my favorite ending, and I loved how each one of those ended. Watch all of them over a 3 day period. It was a wonderful experience.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Asnorban posted:

Second has my favorite ending, and I loved how each one of those ended. Watch all of them over a 3 day period. It was a wonderful experience.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I have to work late tomorrow, so hopefully I still get a chance to watch Midnight.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Speaking of romance I got a chance to see the newly restored Desert Hearts and holy poo poo has it aged well. The cinematography by Robert Elswit(!) was top notch and it takes a more physical approach to starting a relationship than Linklater (which is more intellectual) or Wong Kar-Wai (which is more theoretical I suppose) that are my other favorites.

If you're in NYC and have even a passing interest in romance and/or queer identity you should see this.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Unmature posted:

I see you all mention Stalker, but I know nothing about it. Can someone sell me on it?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I could stare at the texture of the walls in Stalker for hours

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Unmature posted:

Right now my picks for next and possibly last pickup are Short Cuts, Crumb (which I've seen, but Ghost World has given me a hankering for it), Boyhood, Multiple Maniacs, Paris Texas, and Night of the Hunter.

Ended up going with Short Cuts. Can't wait to watch it. But tonight is for Before Midnight!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gorman Thomas posted:

I could stare at the texture of the walls in Stalker for hours

Visually interesting walls are great. I just watched Barton Fink recently and it's a great movie for wall aficionados.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Unmature posted:

Ended up going with Short Cuts. Can't wait to watch it. But tonight is for Before Midnight!

If you like the before trilogy weekend (not Godard) is very similar, but from a gay perspective. Its also really really good

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Unmature posted:

It has a doggy in it! :dogge:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah, my copy of Stalker came 3 days before release date here! Looks gorgeous.

and yes it included a booklet :)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

Hell yeah, my copy of Stalker came 3 days before release date here! Looks gorgeous.

and yes it included a booklet :)

gently caress yes, mine just showed up to. Amazon was just loving with me, they told me they had shipped it like 3 hours before it actually showed up at my door.

Edit: Hooooly poo poo. Stalker is way better than Solaris and I love Solaris. I feel like I need to watch this 2 or 3 more times to even put into words what this film is doing.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 22, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Wow, Short Cuts is great. Next up, Stalker!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like I need to watch this 2 or 3 more times to even put into words what this film is doing.

This is me with literally every Tarkovsky film I've seen. He's NOT a one-watch type of director.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

This is me with literally every Tarkovsky film I've seen. He's NOT a one-watch type of director.

Stalker is almost 3 hours long too, and I already have the itch to watch it again only two days later. I can count the number of times that's happened to me on one hand.

There is not a single shot wasted in this film, that "every frame a painting" thing seems to never literally be true but Stalker might be the exception.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tarkovsky makes films the same way Tati makes them. They're about observation and experience. Seeing Stalker gives you an impression having gone on a journey, just as you almost feel like you've been up all night after the restaurant scene in Playtime.

What's amazing is that it's 2 1/2 hours long and made up primarily of lengthy shots, yet it doesn't seem long at all.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Made my way to Mon Oncle in the Tati set and holy cow is it amazing. I love how you can see his progression up to Playtime. The Tati set is really, really good.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Basebf555 posted:

There is not a single shot wasted in this film, that "every frame a painting" thing seems to never literally be true but Stalker might be the exception.

The only other movie I can unreservedly say this about is The Assassin (2015)

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Stalker is almost 3 hours long too, and I already have the itch to watch it again only two days later. I can count the number of times that's happened to me on one hand.

I would argue High and Low falls in this category too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Went back for another wave:
Stalker
Harold and Maude
Eclipse: Nikkatsu Noir

Also picked up the BFI editions of Vivre sa Vie and Killing of a Chinese Bookie last week since they were so cheap.

Watched Stalker last night, Eraserhead today. That was an interesting combination, both grotesque films for completely different reasons. The Stalker transfer is absolutely gorgeous, but I've never seen a film look so naturally and realistically filthy. I kept wondering how much of that was set dressing and how much was the poisonous plant runoff that allegedly killed Tarkovsky and Anatoly Solonitsyn.

Basebf555 posted:

I feel the exact same way. It didn't take hold as I was watching it, but now that I've had a day to process it I can't help but continually pore over the film in my mind. I'd love to know more about the production, has anyone read Zona?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

mod sassinator posted:

Made my way to Mon Oncle in the Tati set and holy cow is it amazing. I love how you can see his progression up to Playtime. The Tati set is really, really good.

My only real misgiving about Playtime is that it's so much more cynical about technology than Mon Oncle, to the point of it almost being sinister. It's not a bad thematic arc, but it really seems at odds with M. Hulot and is stark against Tati's own playfulness within the film.

I'd also love to hear anyone else's impressions about Parade in the Tati set; I think it's an underrated gem as a portrait of Tati the performer and easily on par with the Hulot films. It gets a bad rap, because it was shot on video is especially hard to watch after the spectacle of Playtime and it's narratively bereft, but to me it's Tati injecting his own ethos of comedy into this physical public arena, missteps and all. It's fascinating but requires a slightly different read than the rest of the boxset.

e: my Stalker has been in transit for almost a week now :(

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I feel the exact same way. It didn't take hold as I was watching it, but now that I've had a day to process it I can't help but continually pore over the film in my mind. I'd love to know more about the production, has anyone read Zona?

I'm in the middle of it right now and it's very good. It's also not intimidatingly dense. Dyer has a lot of stuff about the production in there that I didn't know.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to the local B&N, picked up Stalker and High & Low (which I saw kinda recently as part of the TSPDT list thing, and just fuckin' loved.)

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I made a video about Criterion stuff https://youtu.be/etFyANzOkxY

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion put up a photo of David Byrne visiting The Closet. Probably means they got True Stories since it's a Warner title.

Unmature posted:

I made a video about Criterion stuff https://youtu.be/etFyANzOkxY

The Triplets of Belleville is very likely since it's a Sony title and they put out a BD-R only.

The Thief and the Cobbler might be coming out of rights hell since Miramax recently donated all their artwork holdings to the Academy Film Archive, who also did a 4K preservation of the workprint cut. Also, Richard Williams' short films (The Little Island, A Christmas Carol, etc) were recently restored as well.

I think the biggest omission in animation on home media right now is the work of Norman McLaren. There was an incredible DVD set released nearly a decade ago by Home Vision with almost his complete works (only missing his two 3-D shorts, which are on 3-D Rarities), but it's been OOP for at least seven years. For that matter, I'm amazed that no one has licensed anything from the National Film Board of Canada since Criterion doing so for Mon Oncle Antoine and Paddle to the Sea. They could do a World Cinema Project style set just for all the other films in their library - stuff like the work of Arthur Lipsett, Grant Munro, Gerald Potterton, and Evelyn Lambart.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 28, 2017

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion put up a photo of David Byrne visiting The Closet. Probably means they got True Stories since it's a Warner title.

Oh man I hope so, I've been wanting Criterion to pick that up for years

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Dear Criterion, please rerelease The Killer and Hard Boiled and add Bullet to the Head as well, please and thankyou.
-Hector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Toebone posted:

Oh man I hope so, I've been wanting Criterion to pick that up for years

I mean, True Stories would be great but I'd love for Criterion to put out Stop Making Sense too. All the concert/music stuff Criterion does is incredible and Stop Making Sense deserves it.