Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Pretty much any genre except I guess horror. Recent poo poo I've watched through and liked are Riverdale, Bojack Horseman, a few seasons of Shameless, and Always Sunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zerilan posted:

Pretty much any genre except I guess horror. Recent poo poo I've watched through and liked are Riverdale, Bojack Horseman, a few seasons of Shameless, and Always Sunny.

Too bad that it's not on Netflix but Moral Oral is amazing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Zerilan posted:

Check out Samurai Gourmet. It's the most soothing show I've ever seen.

https://www.eater.com/2017/4/14/15092952/samurai-gourmet-best-episodes-netflix

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 25, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Just read a review of the new HBO/Duplass Brothers joint ROOM 104. I really hope they're paying royalties to INSIDE NO. 9 for that. They even have a silent episode.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

muscles like this! posted:

Didn't they put that show on the back burner because of some issue with one of the stars?

Season 4 is already complete and they'd started shooting Season 5, so the break they took shouldn't change the air dates at all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The McElroys were great on @midnight but man Chris Hardwick is not a funny human.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

The McElroys were great on @midnight but man Chris Hardwick is not a funny human.

Chris Hardwick is like the new Jay Leno.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Having a poo poo week and feel like binge watching some poo poo on Netflix. Any recent shows added or any new originals that are real loving good? Open to pretty much any genre but looking for poo poo that is maybe 1-3 seasons in at most so I can finish/catch up with it instead of just burning out on it.

Like the man said, Ozark is real good

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So yeah rewatching the ones where Ross and Rachel fight and then Ross sleeps with a girl immediately after and I have to say both that Ross is a huge bitch and Mark is either so incredibly dense he can't read the tone of a blindingly obvious phone conversation and still bumbles into it to gently caress things up or is actively malicious but at that point after seeing how Ross acted the entire time Rachel has worked at that fashion factory I wouldn't blame him one bit from trying to save her from an awful codependent manipulative relationship

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ross is basically the titular character in the film Creep taken to a logical conclusion.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They both hosed up imo. Ross just in a bigger way.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I decided to check out the pilot of Midnight, Texas, even though it's not really my favorite genre. I think they botched the pilot badly. They were trying to cram in too many things into the pilot, which meant they didn't have enough time to spend on having them all make much sense and work right.

Like this psychic moves to the titular town. Apparently he called ahead or something to get a place set up, but it's not clear what kind of vetting process the town uses to approve of new permanent residents. That seems important because the first evening he is seated in the "permanent residents" section of the bar and the vampire takes a little of the psychic's life force - without asking - and then matter-of-factly says he's a vampire. And the psychic goes "oh, okay". This is the first meeting of these characters.

The next day a shot-but-drowned body is found in the river. The ghost of the drowned woman goes to see the psychic, who agrees to help find her killer so she'll go away. He makes some kind of circle for protection, before summoning her, but that brings out a LOT of other stuff too. The circle is apparently more a suggestion than a rule, so he bolts out and closes his perfectly ordinary door. Not sure why a special circle is less protection than an ordinary wooden door. The out-of-town cops decide to talk to the psychic and barge into his house without asking, saying he's suspicious because as a psychic "he lies for a living". Even though the woman had been dead for several days before he came to town. So to stop them snooping, he uses his psychic knowledge to help the cops find the murder weapon. For some reason, that makes the cops trust him MORE, which I don't think makes sense.

Most of the characters are unlikable jerks, too.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hahahah Billy Crystal and Robin Williams in FRIENDS. They were supposedly filming that two dads movie and they totally showed up on set by surprise right?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

zoux posted:

Like the man said, Ozark is real good
I am really liking it so far, about halfway through. Jason Bateman and Laura Linney really nail the roles, and I've started really appreciating the other performances too. Ruth is a great character, and her uncle has a pretty interesting storyline at this point too.

Really good show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SLOSifl posted:

I am really liking it so far, about halfway through. Jason Bateman and Laura Linney really nail the roles, and I've started really appreciating the other performances too. Ruth is a great character, and her uncle has a pretty interesting storyline at this point too.

Really good show.

Yeah I was fairly skeptical going in because the premise seems exactly like Breaking Bad when you read the synopsis, but Bateman's character is kind of the anti-Walter White in terms of attitude, motivation and capacity. I also like that the primary tension doesn't come from hiding secrets from the family, unlike BrBad.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ozark's first episode really confused and bored me but wow did it pick up. I really like how Marty instead of spouting endless melodrama will just gather himself and find a practical solution no matter how much poo poo life throws at him. Almost sad I only have the last episode left because this show really surprised me.

zoux posted:

I also like that the primary tension doesn't come from hiding secrets from the family, unlike BrBad.

:agreed:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Ozark's first episode really confused and bored me but wow did it pick up. I really like how Marty instead of spouting endless melodrama will just gather himself and find a practical solution no matter how much poo poo life throws at him. Almost sad I only have the last episode left because this show really surprised me.

:agreed:

Yeah I love how he doesn't back down, he seems fearless.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/889950920162848770

It's an animated show set in a medieval kingdom, so it's opposite Futurama.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yeah I was fairly skeptical going in because the premise seems exactly like Breaking Bad when you read the synopsis, but Bateman's character is kind of the anti-Walter White in terms of attitude, motivation and capacity. I also like that the primary tension doesn't come from hiding secrets from the family, unlike BrBad.

I've only seen the first two episodes, but I really like that he's not doing this crazy scheme because the thinks it will work or because it's a good idea, but because he had to bullshit a guy to keep from getting a bullet in the head.
It's like the opposite of Weeds, where she thought that selling pot in suburbia without knowing anything about drug culture was a smart and good way to make a living.

I also I live in Missouri, and this show is too true.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

Finally, it feels like I've been waiting for Pastorama for a thousand years!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Except for that time Futurama did a whole medieval movie I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's got pretty much the whole Futurama voice cast so I'm on board regardless.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
okay yeah Ozark is friggin good

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

I also like that the primary tension doesn't come from hiding secrets from the family, unlike BrBad.

That's just one more reason The Sopranos was so awesomely ahead of its time, you think him hiding it from his kids is gonna be a big part of the show and then five episodes in they casually drop the bombshell that the daughter knows.

zoux posted:

I'm cautious, Groening is only ever as good as his collaborators and if Netflix's model means he gets to run wild and make all the decisions then it could be a George Lucas situation.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I turned Ozark off after two minutes of a really boring Jason Bateman monologue, does he stop that?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Goons' taste is going downhill again :( y'all were doing so well around March/April

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Guy Mann posted:

I'm cautious, Groening is only ever as good as his collaborators and if Netflix's model means he gets to run wild and make all the decisions then it could be a George Lucas situation.

I'm quite optimistic, as Josh Weinstein is co-executive producer. (Bill Oakley is also on staff.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

try the new taco place posted:

I turned Ozark off after two minutes of a really boring Jason Bateman monologue, does he stop that?

It's definitely a slow burn. I'm on episode 5 and love it so far. That first brutal series of events in episode 1 was hardcore.

Like others have said, it's refreshingly different from Breaking Bad in that everyone in the family knows what's going on, and Bateman is legit controlling and knows what he's doing.

I recommend at least watching up to episode 5 for the SEXIEST dude on dude kiss I've ever seen!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

try the new taco place posted:

Well, if you make it through the monologue, it turns out it was his garbage pitch to some first time investor chumps, and not a serious voice-over for the viewer , so... yes?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Yo, I made a quick thread for Ozark if you wanna talk about it in more detail. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828142

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

A girl I'm dating just introduced me to the three most wonderful words in television history.

Trailer. Park. Boys. :allbuttons:

precision posted:

I like China, IL but for me it never really got as funny as the original Prof. Bros. shorts (especially "Fliff Night" and "Late Date"). I also kinda hated Frank's even-more-annoying new voice.

I know a guy who looks and sounds like annoying Frank and it's getting to where I can't take Frank because they are almost the same person (except the guy I know is the incarnation of some form of a physical troll straight out of the Harry Potter world).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

Yo, I made a quick thread for Ozark if you wanna talk about it in more detail. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828142

It's so good. Man. So good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calaveron posted:

Hahahah Billy Crystal and Robin Williams in FRIENDS. They were supposedly filming that two dads movie and they totally showed up on set by surprise right?

Man, what the hell happened to Crystal? I feel like he dropped off the face of the earth.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CBJSprague24 posted:

A girl I'm dating just introduced me to the three most wonderful words in television history.

Trailer. Park. Boys. :allbuttons:

One of my country's finest exports. Enjoy! Even the later seasons are still good, just not as good as the original ones. The movies are mostly not worth it, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't Legalize It is real good. And yeah I like every TPB season except maybe the second to last one.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I almost forgot about Don't Legalize It! Yeah, of the movies that's def the best.

e: if you can get a chance, watch the original movie. Same characters but played completely straight and more seriously, it's a neat experience.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Added Ozark and Samurai Gourmet to my list of things to eventually watched, but also realized that I've never actually fully watched through Twin Peaks and maybe I should fix that first.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Catching up with Preacher s2 and drat. This show has improved in exactly the ways I was hoping it would. Still not a full-on favourite, but a hell of a lot of fun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Trailer Park Boys only has one bad season, but it's REALLY bad. Either the last or second to last one, I don't remember offhand.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Second to last is the one with loads of Snoop and Doug Benson, and is the one I personally think is really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TPB got pretty hard to watch towards the end, and the movies are just their live show which, isn't for me, that's what I'll say about it. But oh man does that show start strong.

• Locked thread