Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
whats ur fav snack from football parties that aren't normal snacks u eat??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
what was the old thread title about? some cop shooting with a super passive voiced article im guessing?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/girl-scouts-obtain-restraining-order-against-trump

I didn't even see the Satire/Borowitz thing and I thought this was true for a couple of hours

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Reality Winner posted:

what was the old thread title about? some cop shooting with a super passive voiced article im guessing?

the female became deceased

ie when they shot the australian lady in mineapolis

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
So McCain made some big speech condemning the bill that he then immediately signed? That's peak concern right there

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
JEB!

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

thats peak mccain

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

deep

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

can someone explain this joke to me

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

empty whippet box posted:

ppl are smaller today than they were in the past because of malnutritional factors suffered over the past 7 years

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Thanks fams

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLbjBGUyHl4

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

he used to wear big suits

e: gently caress!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/ACLU/status/889947758186164225

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Im making an app that explains jokes to you. Its called the jokero and someday ill sell in to zyckerbetg in exchange for my freedom

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I fed it my post history and it told me cannot divide by zero loving piece of poo poo

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think you need to be a prophet to recognize that feudalism is a widespread type of society that has stood the test of time much more so than our modern nation state ideals. Lots of people live under it as we speak, even inside of what look superficially like modern republics.

Edit: my macroecon class was very clear: the endgame for unrestricted capitalism is a return to feudalism. Capitalism a blunt instrument that must be used in a very precise way, via government regulation, to be of benefit to humanity. It was later I realized that I had gotten a pinko education in economics relative to most Americans.

The endgame for capitalism isn't feudalism, the endgame for capitalism is famines and war on an unimaginable scale after it collapses from exhausting it's resource base

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Trump is actually a good president. I think you all expect something else from the third largest country in the world with the largest economy and the largest military. As well as a highly "diverse" population, way more than most places with all the nice things you all pine for like everything free for life like a wonderous education that makes you feel smart and intimate personal health care with a doctor that really gets you. All of those things are actually possible if you just put in the effort instead of complain on internet boards. And moreover, free healthcare and education can and should be done better at the state level. K well see you all next time

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Digiwizzard posted:

The endgame for capitalism isn't feudalism, the endgame for capitalism is famines and war on an unimaginable scale after it collapses from exhausting it's resource base

Conservation of resources is a venture apart from systems of economic organization. And in any case, historically, inefficiency wastes far more than greed ever did.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think you need to be a prophet to recognize that feudalism is a widespread type of society that has stood the test of time much more so than our modern nation state ideals. Lots of people live under it as we speak, even inside of what look superficially like modern republics.

Edit: my macroecon class was very clear: the endgame for unrestricted capitalism is a return to feudalism. Capitalism a blunt instrument that must be used in a very precise way, via government regulation, to be of benefit to humanity. It was later I realized that I had gotten a pinko education in economics relative to most Americans.

most econ classes in america teach basic supply and demand neoclassical bullshit because its simplistic and ideologically convenient for free market economics

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Tautologicus posted:

Conservation of resources is a venture apart from systems of economic organization. And in any case, historically, inefficiency wastes far more than greed ever did.

This is objectively untrue.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jevons_paradox

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tautologicus posted:

Trump is actually a good president. I think you all expect something else from the third largest country in the world with the largest economy and the largest military. As well as a highly "diverse" population, way more than most places with all the nice things you all pine for like everything free for life like a wonderous education that makes you feel smart and intimate personal health care with a doctor that really gets you. All of those things are actually possible if you just put in the effort instead of complain on internet boards. And moreover, free healthcare and education can and should be done better at the state level. K well see you all next time

Source your quotes

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Smells like someone is making GBS threads up the thread with THE TRUTH in here

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
It's also totally batshit to suggest capitalism can function without constant and exponential consumption of resources. Compare the steady state of guild economies to capitalists ones that experience disastrous implosions if they don't continually expand.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

TRUMP

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Digiwizzard posted:

It's also totally batshit to suggest capitalism can function without constant and exponential consumption of resources. Compare the steady state of guild economies to capitalists ones that experience disastrous implosions if they don't continually expand.

Yea probably

My support for Trump is actually from a more cynical source. Not quite accelerationism but almost. Its a match made in heaven, the US and Trump. And so I will continue to defend him, they bring out the best in each other.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Significant Ant posted:

is the repeal bill going to pass today?

if it does it'll probably be later this week, is what i heard

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Tautologicus posted:

It's certainly one of the better third world countries but trump bad

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Trazz posted:

So McCain made some big speech condemning the bill that he then immediately signed? That's peak concern right there

What a maverick.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Just because more of a resource is used doesn't mean its wasted. Just that the base of consumption has expanded. So its not capitalism that causes the depletion of resources, its the population that grows to meet the increased productivity. A stable population wouldn't be nearly as productive.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Digiwizzard posted:

Compare the steady state of guild economies...
wtf are you talking about

Not only was the medieval and early modern economy Not Steady (in fact it had huge swings largely because of climate change + disease, plus the usual state intervention), the role and number of guilds was also Not Steady and differed wildly on a country-by-country basis

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hillary 2020 posted:

What a maverick.

He's never challenged his party leadership on a single issue.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Internet Webguy posted:

TRUMP187: slice em n dice em

From Paul Di Filippo's Ribofunk, published in 1996

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Basically in order to be an anti-capitalist, you have to be a Malthusian. And theres a lot of implications when you go that route...population control, eugenics, rationing, all which would require strong military/police. No ones going to go empty handed willingly. The technological cat is out of the bag, how do you tame modern civilization?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tautologicus posted:

Basically in order to be an anti-capitalist, you have to be a Malthusian.
I've checked with the boys at the lab + there have been many anticapitalist movements with non-Malthusian approaches.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rear end cobra posted:

It's certainly one of the better third world countries but trump bad

How far and wide have you travelled to seriously say the US is a third world country. I mean I know you think youre appearing ironic but I also think you actually on some level believe this.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

From Paul Di Filippo's Ribofunk, published in 1996

hehe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

I've checked with the boys at the lab + there have been many anticapitalist movements with non-Malthusian approaches.

Yea how far did they get? They started with a contradiction in terms. Trying to have their cake and eat it too, basically the modern liberal in a nutshell.

• Locked thread