Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Papa Roach - Red Jeep

Cut my Jeep into pieces

this is my last rust fort

moving violation

no driving

don't give a gently caress if I cut my arm, bleeding

Found a socket in the trunk that I lost FOUR YEARS AGO though so it wasn't a total loss.

I'll hopefully cut the rest up one evening this week or this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

That thing has less visible rust than my WJ daily driver. I'm assuming the worst isn't obvious?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

gileadexile posted:

That thing has less visible rust than my WJ daily driver. I'm assuming the worst isn't obvious?

If you look closely you'll notice rocker panel and rear quarter rust. It also appears to have, uhhh.... pickaxe damage :lol:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Let's see, where to start...
- discovered the seller VIN swapped it to avoid a salvage inspection, so I didn't want to have it on the road anymore
- it had been wrecked at least twice
- doors were all sagging, not latching right
- chassis was so floppy it cracked a windshield at some point
- rear quarters and rockers were beyond hosed
- rear frame rails were so rotten I could see into them where the bumpstops were supposed to be
- engine was knocking, again
- I have no idea why but it broke two bellhousings in half in like 3 months
- rear diff didn't have a single good bearing left in it
- for two years straight it was a millstone around my neck by breaking a different thing every few weeks that would make it uninspectable, usually before I even managed to fix the previous breakage, which cost me a large number of moving violations as I was trying to dig myself out of debt and unable to replace it outright, but also being dragged down by the shitbox. It got me so many tickets just commuting that I ended up having my license suspended for two months in 2014 and barely avoided losing my job.

gently caress that Jeep, it had it coming. Felt so good to cut it in half.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I'd ask if you'd sell the external mirrors off the doors but I don't know if I want to put those cursed parts on my Jeep..

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Good loving riddance. I hope it gets melted down into the next Trump tower.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

:stonk:
Between here and the Jeep thread I remember this one now. Forgive my innocence, I must have been confused there wasn't an incantation summoning an Ancient One emblazoned across the hood.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Twice the VINs, twice the Jeep curse, far as I can tell.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CduA0TULnow

It's an 89, 360, 4x4, automatic. TF727 trans, NP229 full-time viscous clutch 4x4. It has rust, mold, and PO fuckery to fix, but otherwise seems solid. Worst case, it'll be a parts donor for a nicer one later after Britt drives it for a few winters. She needs a winter driver that can handle our driveway and won't make me feel bad about getting salt blasted like her rust free Roadmaster.

PO fuckery:

Gonna go over this one with a fine tooth comb.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'll trade you a red forester for it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You're a sick man and I love it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:stonklol:

That's... that's a thing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

It's an 89, 360, 4x4, automatic. TF727 trans, NP229 full-time viscous clutch 4x4. It has rust, mold, and PO fuckery to fix, but otherwise seems solid. Worst case, it'll be a parts donor for a nicer one later after Britt drives it for a few winters. She needs a winter driver that can handle our driveway and won't make me feel bad about getting salt blasted like her rust free Roadmaster.

PO fuckery:

:lol:
Yup, that's a HEEP. Good luck with the un-fuckery! The short, hat, and ironic fish-hook make that dude's outfit.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

kastein posted:

PO fuckery:

gently caress yesssssss

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

kastein posted:

PO fuckery:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I know it needs:
License plate lamps
Right rear turn signal
THE loving TIE ROD WHAT THE HELL
Rocker panels left and right
Some frame patches or a new frame. I have a line on a couple parts vehicles that may have good frames and a solid resto-grade 600 dollar frame
A wheel (so it matches)
Tires
Air injection ports plugged in manifolds due to air injection manifolds being rotten
Headliner is in sesame Street groverhaus mode
Mold cleanup
Probably some floor patches
Front leafs
AC repair
Ammeter bypass so it doesn't burn down
Battery lugs
Glovebox cleanout (something is living in there)
Dent in the nose banged out
Razor grille swap
Window scrapers on doors
Paint

I think it needs:
Brake lines before it does any serious driving
Starter solenoid. It won't start unless it's in drive or reverse and you jump the starter and the coil gets power through the starter solenoid when cranking
Carb rebuild because why not
Exhaust
Possibly a frame replacement

Guess how many miles?
under 30k. seriously. Old man bought one for him and one for his wife, hers had 10k on it, his had 29k and change. The seats and pedals and carpet back this up, though they are moldy. If he had a garage instead of parking it on grass under a tree for 29 years it would be flawless.
The motor, trans, and tcase seem to be in great shape so this one is staying AMC powered until it gives me reason to do anything otherwise.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy poo poo. I just noticed the steering knuckle. That's the front end.

I thought that was a leaf spring shackle he made out of banjo and heehaw.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

kastein posted:

PO fuckery:

My wife just came in the room to see why I was yelling. That's some weapons-grade Bubba work.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I saw that photo on Reddit. Who narced?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I saw that photo on Reddit. Who narced?

In JRITS?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I approve this use of worm clamps.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

PO fuckery from a better angle. Yeah, this wasn't driving.

Put the new tie rod in but that just resulted in having to take the drag link off because the nut was rotten to the point a socket wouldn't fit on it. So I pounded a smaller socket on...

The threads ended up kinda hosed and packed with rust so I had to clean them with a utility knife and grind the unnecessary ones past the castle nut crenelations off.

Drove it half a mile to a better spot for a tow truck, called one. Waiting now.

Brother (whose AAA we are using) bought this without even realizing that it has a wagoneer on it. :lol:

A ricer meet has sprung up around us and these dumb motherfuckers better move their hoodless ghetto turboed hellaflush shitbox when the flatbed​ shows up...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is AAA just to get it home?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yup. The frame is Swiss cheese, the brake lines are about the same, there is a massive exhaust leak from a busted off air injection fitting, it won't stay running well in drive or reverse and dies if put into neutral or park for even a split second, the left front leaf spring's main leaf is rusted clear in half (thus the two ubolts holding it together) and the steering is completely unaligned. Oh, and it's moldy and dusty as gently caress inside and the windows don't work right so I hacked up greenish poo poo for two days after driving it a mile. So yeah, we drove it a mile, conveniently broke down while he happened to be riding in it, and called AAA for the other 7 miles.

She likes it!

She likes it!

Made a lot of progress on it Monday. Got the passenger front window rolled back up (brother is used to assuming all functions on cars work and rolled it down without thinking, it then went on strike), made all the windows move up and down at least a little (even the back hatch window!), Got the dome lights to work but not turn off, made the instrument panel lights work and not blow their fuse, got all but one axis of the front seats to move, charged the battery and found a way to keep the engine from stalling when shifted into park or neutral. It's not the right way but it gives me info I can use to figure out what's wrong with it.

My FSM on CD arrived today so hopefully I can figure out the starting and shutdown issues. I think the NSS, starter solenoid, or some vacuum switches involved in the distributor vacuum advance circuitry are at fault but not sure.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's crazy how it can look so good up top and be so hosed beneath.

I say go for the resto frame. Do this poo poo proud, you sick gently caress.

What's the source of the mould, carpet? Seats?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's crazy how it can look so good up top and be so hosed beneath.

I say go for the resto frame. Do this poo poo proud, you sick gently caress.

What's the source of the mould, carpet? Seats?

Wagoneers have a couple lovely spots that become dirt/sand/leaf/etc pockets and just hold moisture up against the frame until it rots away. Sad, but common.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The bottom flange of the c channel section of the frame as well as the bottom face in front of the steering box and the areas around the rear leaf spring eye mounts are all either super thin, perforated, or gone.

Plus other areas I've not noticed, I'm sure. Basically I think it was driven a few miles at a time in small town CT, never washed, and parked on grass all the time.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I'm from a rust-free part of the world, and I wonder: Why? Just, gently caress. So much work to make that roadworthy.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

EightBit posted:

I'm from a rust-free part of the world, and I wonder: Why? Just, gently caress. So much work to make that roadworthy.

Wagoneers are cool yo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

EightBit posted:

The body is mostly rust free. I'm basically going to end up ripping the axles, driveshafts, drivetrain, and body off, replace the rockers, patch a few other things, then clean and paint the axles and drivetrain and put it all on a new frame.

It has *thirty thousand miles*. That is obscenely low. I've seen Jeeps in far rustier condition sell for way more up here.

Edit: oh, aside from the headliner falling down and mold spots from sitting, the interior looks like it's about 4 years old. I have literally never seen some of these interior parts in this condition.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My experience with a musty smelling interior car consisted of failing to remove the smell after replacing the carpet and scrubbing the interior. Hopefully you have better luck than I did.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I hope so too, but Britt is a magician with that stuff so I'm not too worried. She somehow kept her Roadmaster from smelling moldy even with leaky window seals and literal mold in the back until a few weeks ago when I finally got the windows rolling up and down and the seals working right for the first time in... Ever.

It cranked like it wanted to start today after a week of sitting, so I'm pretty sure the battery is fine, just needed an actual charge.

The Datsun hopefully goes away tomorrow and I cut up more of the Cherokee today. It's down to just the engine compartment and firewall. Kinda debating just picking what's left up and plonking it down in the back of the 91 Comanche as ballast until it's time to 4wd/5speed the 88 Comanche, all the parts are secure, well protected from weather, and tightly packaged in there and the sheetmetal only weighs about 150lb anyways so it's not like I'm saving any weight vs pulling it all apart.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

I just bought one of those oil drain pans the other day. Works a hell of a lot better than my simple open pan that took two minutes to pour into a waste jug.

Edit: Also you really make me want to take apart a car with a sawzall. It's probably not nearly as fun as I imagine.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 5, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That 5 gallon bucket must be a great motivator :v:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That 5 gallon bucket must be a great motivator :v:

Bucket: "Let's DO this"
Ken: "SHUT UP!"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I only noticed it after the fact :v:

That drain pan is great, though I wish the cap it came with for the spout sealed worth a gently caress. I took it off so I'd stop trying to pretend it was worth using. It's keeping rain water out of the top of the transmission right now.

Cutting cars up is very physically taxing and can be frustrating when the body pinches your sawzall blade. That does one of three things, depending on you and your sawzall. It might try to give you shaken baby syndrome (Milwaukee, good blade, stubborn operator). It might rip the shank off the blade (lovely blade) or turn it into modern art. Or it might just sta-stall and piss you off by not coming out so you have to use another blade to cut toward it from somewhere else to rescue it.

I still have a pile of cut up Jeep parts because the bed cap off the Datsun is sitting on my Comanche until my sister can come pick it up. Anyone need a sixteenth of a 98 Cherokee? :haw::hf::banjo:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ha, I just had to saw off a stripped stud on my wife's Lexus. Luckily I was able to back the lug nut out a bit to expose the stud, and I was able to fit a long rear end blade through one of the holes in the wheel, bending it almost 90 degrees against the rotor. Busted a blade right where it goes into the saw and had fun trying to get that out. My hands still hurt lol.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Wow this thread. Lmao.

Ken, do you have the center dash bezel? I want to try and fit a double dinner screen in mine.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I do but it's pretty haggard.

I am going junkyarding tomorrow though and can grab you one. Not sure what they will charge but probably cheapish. Check this thread out for 2din info BTW: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1024604

It got hosed by loving Photobucket, but you can get it working again with extensions and poo poo I think.

Edit: the Datsun just left to go to its new home with a friend of a friend from CT near Limerock! He works at an Alfa shop down there. Glad it's going to someone who will do cool things with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

I do but it's pretty haggard.

I am going junkyarding tomorrow though and can grab you one. Not sure what they will charge but probably cheapish. Check this thread out for 2din info BTW: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1024604

It got hosed by loving Photobucket, but you can get it working again with extensions and poo poo I think.

Edit: the Datsun just left to go to its new home with a friend of a friend from CT near Limerock! He works at an Alfa shop down there. Glad it's going to someone who will do cool things with it.

Stop, you're making me want to buy another jeep.