Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gorn Myson posted:

Lets not forget "all grown up now".

I thought that was the Daily Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
She was ok in broadchurch but if now people are going on about how amazing she is idgi.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought that was the Daily Star.

Both.

Image of Charlotte Church at 15 alongside outrage at the Brass Eye Paedophile special.

That's Daily Star, but the Daily Mail has had all sorts of similar stuff too like Kendall Jenner at 16.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 16, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's just an amazing pairing of stories.

e: Also the fact that the word 'CHILD' is in all caps.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

That's just an amazing pairing of stories.

Well done that man. :golfclap:

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Pissflaps posted:

I was outraged last night that the best the BBC could come up with for their 9pm slot was a loving peter Kay clip show.

I turned on the tele having spent the evening deep cleaning my flat and my first thought was that he had died that night.

(just noticed you said 9pm and realised this was a different day. They repeated it last night around 11pm which is when I saw it. REPEATING IT!)

Pissflaps posted:

'Murdered for being different' was devastating stuff.

I remember this from the time. Of all the harrowing drama I'll watch, I can't bring myself to put this on.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
its my wife's fault sophie lancaster got into goth culture

woops

edit: that sounds really blase but it's pretty much true, they were friends and all got into it together and my wife got poo poo going through that park all the time :(

the whole story of her murder still makes me feel such anger and venom

thehustler fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 18, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah that program might be a bit too harrowing for me to watch too, people are shitheads.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's the same as Three Girls - very well done but tough to watch.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

thehustler posted:

its my wife's fault sophie lancaster got into goth culture

woops

edit: that sounds really blase but it's pretty much true, they were friends and all got into it together and my wife got poo poo going through that park all the time :(

the whole story of her murder still makes me feel such anger and venom
Oh, really? My wife was friends with Sophie, too... I wonder if we know each other...

It happened not long after we got married. She took it reeeeeaaally hard. I don't think we'll be watching the dramatisation.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

nether will we. The last thing the BBC did about it a few years ago with Julie Hesmondhalgh with the poems was incredibly sad.

And yeah, she grew up in East Lancs and went to Hassie High as apparently everyone around there did

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The marketing really rubbed me the wrong way, the whole sorry not sorry thing, the way they amped their outfits way up, the personality of the main character doesn't match up with Sophie at all...

Like, I know TV dramas based on real events don't have to be totally accurate, but in this instance it doesn't seem true to the memory of the departed :/ I dunno

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Akuma posted:

The marketing really rubbed me the wrong way, the whole sorry not sorry thing, the way they amped their outfits way up, the personality of the main character doesn't match up with Sophie at all...

Like, I know TV dramas based on real events don't have to be totally accurate, but in this instance it doesn't seem true to the memory of the departed :/ I dunno

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw an interview with Robert Maltby who said the entire dramatization simplified a lot of it to the point where it's basically just "inspired by".

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw an interview with Robert Maltby who said the entire dramatization simplified a lot of it to the point where it's basically just "inspired by".

This one in the Guardian? https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...rsimplification

I feel so sorry for the poor guy, still living in the town and being in the shadow of the whole thing.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I had nothing better to do, so I watched the first episode of the much-hyped (sort of) Mash Report.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jul/15/mash-report-bbc2-satirical-news-show-nish-kumar
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/18/politics-daily-mash-report-satirical
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-07-20/the-mash-reports-nish-kumar-how-can-i-launch-a-satire-show-when-politics-is-already-beyond-parody

It's exactly what you'd expect: it starts, middles, and ends with a bit which is literally just reading Daily Mash articles out loud, and in between the host does the world's worst John Oliver impression while reading out a bunch of gags that the writers' room nicked off Twitter. They're supposed to have ten episodes. I'll be astounded if they get them. I'd rather watch Mrs Brown's Boys.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 25, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone remember Headcases which was deliberately advertised and boosted as Spitting Image for the 21st century, then it was loving awful and I'm pretty sure never aired a second episode?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't remember it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I do. It was poo poo.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone remember Headcases which was deliberately advertised and boosted as Spitting Image for the 21st century, then it was loving awful and I'm pretty sure never aired a second episode?

I thought they finished out the first series and then quietly dropped it. Because it was bollocks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I checked Wikipedia:

quote:

the Daily Star simply called it "Hilarious"

Seems legit.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Trin Tragula posted:

I had nothing better to do, so I watched the first episode of the much-hyped (sort of) Mash Report.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jul/15/mash-report-bbc2-satirical-news-show-nish-kumar
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/18/politics-daily-mash-report-satirical
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-07-20/the-mash-reports-nish-kumar-how-can-i-launch-a-satire-show-when-politics-is-already-beyond-parody

It's exactly what you'd expect: it starts, middles, and ends with a bit which is literally just reading Daily Mash articles out loud, and in between the host does the world's worst John Oliver impression while reading out a bunch of gags that the writers' room nicked off Twitter. They're supposed to have ten episodes. I'll be astounded if they get them. I'd rather watch Mrs Brown's Boys.

Satire is tricky and shows like this need time. Like THE DAILY SHOW went through a long period before people paid any attention to it.

Of course it's getting much harder to satirise something that already feels like satire anyway.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Spitting Image for the 21st century

I thought that was Newzoids

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

feedmegin posted:

I thought that was Newzoids

I thought it was 2Dtv?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

What really annoyed me about The Mash Report wasn't the writing but the use of applause for every punchline and to cover every edit point. It sounds so weird.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The first news anchor section, with the woman with the purple/pink blouse - her delivery was straight out of The Day Today. And she even said "On the hour".

The applause really got annoying though, yes.

On the whole though, I thought it was ok! I quite liked the reading the tweets bit.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

Satire is tricky and shows like this need time.

Go watch the first episode of The Day Today and get back to me

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think the pitfall for those shows that can't make the grade simply because satire is a pretty drat hard thing to pull off. From what I recall with those shows all the stuff was more bland or petty parody comedy or cheeky references.

Nothing like The Day Today, Brass Eye or Spitting Image which are still incredibly clever if sadly dated now. But lets be honest, the concept of a Tory transportation minister hunting tiny ponies with a hammer in the London underground will always be gold.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

DaWolfey posted:

On the whole though, I thought it was ok! I quite liked the reading the tweets bit.

That bit was a great parody and the woman playing that character was very good.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

josh04 posted:

I thought it was 2Dtv?

Wow I'd forgotten all about that show. All I recall is lots of sketches about Posh n Becks done in a really ugly animation style. And jokes about Bush being dumb. Groundbreaking stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SEX BURRITO posted:

Wow I'd forgotten all about that show. All I recall is lots of sketches about Posh n Becks done in a really ugly animation style. And jokes about Bush being dumb. Groundbreaking stuff.

There was a recurring thing with Arnold Schwarzenegger squeezing women's breasts and chuckling, "Just a bit aff hahmless fun!"

I also remember one about George Best's liver trying to run away from home but not being able to because Best had drunk all the petrol.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It always takes me a great deal of effort to remember that 2Dtv and Monkey Dust are not the same thing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They are entirely different things.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

goatface posted:

They are entirely different things.

Seriously, one of them is actually good and holds up to this day still.

It's not the ITV one.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Against the Law was really very good. Normally mixing docu-drama with talking heads ends up a mess that completely fails to flow in either strand. But this time they pulled it off.

Except the one scene when Mycroft Holmes turns up to chew on the scenery. Quite why Gatis keeps getting acting gigs I'll never understand. This wasn't even his mate Moffat hiring him for a change. Especially disappointing when it's in contrast to the wonderfully judged emotional performance from Daniel Mays.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Top Of The Lake Season 2 is going well, so far. I loved the first season even if the ending was a bit pants.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

A colleague recommended 'The Joy of Techs' on Dave, and it's quite fun. It's a buddy comedy-duo gadget show.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Sorry to jump back a bit, but I have found that Monkey Dust is the perfect show to give to friends who have only moved to the UK in the past handful of years - and who ask for a TV show that "truly encapsulates what it's like to be British".

What I'd give for it to have run ever since.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Matinee posted:

Sorry to jump back a bit, but I have found that Monkey Dust is the perfect show to give to friends who have only moved to the UK in the past handful of years - and who ask for a TV show that "truly encapsulates what it's like to be British".

The guy who created it was only 45 when he died. Having read and watched a lot of the things he wrote or produced since then, its really quite upsetting when you realise that we lost an amazing writing talent just as he was hitting his prime.

That said, he did shag Victoria Coren, so its not like he didn't live a full life.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Matinee posted:

gently caress id never seen or heard of that before, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cerv posted:

Against the Law was really very good. Normally mixing docu-drama with talking heads ends up a mess that completely fails to flow in either strand. But this time they pulled it off.

Except the one scene when Mycroft Holmes turns up to chew on the scenery. Quite why Gatis keeps getting acting gigs I'll never understand. This wasn't even his mate Moffat hiring him for a change. Especially disappointing when it's in contrast to the wonderfully judged emotional performance from Daniel Mays.

Gatis wrote the show. It's a passion project for him.

Edit: produced/shepherded it sorry. He didn't write it.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 30, 2017