Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

PurpleXVI posted:

For some reason I always thought thimbles had holes in them.

if you never seen one in real life, and only rely on cartoons, it's a reasonable assumption as for the sake of simplicity, animators really don't add details to show the dots are dimples, not holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
So how fast do you need to be to do all of these things before the wizard returns and zaps you for leaving?

Depending on the RNG and the general knowledge the average person playing this game had back in the day, it seems you could be forced into a very strict errand run against the clock. Maybe even lose against it if you screw around too much or get exceptionally unlucky.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
When I played KQ3 as a child I never figured out you could just hide items under your bed and rather used the robbers to rob the magical ingredients away. It made the timer a lot more annoying than it would otherwise be.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

EorayMel posted:

So how fast do you need to be to do all of these things before the wizard returns and zaps you for leaving?

Depending on the RNG and the general knowledge the average person playing this game had back in the day, it seems you could be forced into a very strict errand run against the clock. Maybe even lose against it if you screw around too much or get exceptionally unlucky.

He returns around 30:00:00. Unless he used a hint guide, the average person playing this game back in the day found that out by dying.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Getting your poo poo stolen from you seems like an excellent way to dodge the wizard frisking you for spell ingredients.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Erpy posted:

He returns around 30:00:00. Unless he used a hint guide, the average person playing this game back in the day found that out by dying.

Does he hunt you down and kill you at 30, or do you not find out until you eventually go back home?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Robindaybird posted:

if you never seen one in real life, and only rely on cartoons, it's a reasonable assumption as for the sake of simplicity, animators really don't add details to show the dots are dimples, not holes.

I was raised by a mother with a degree in textiles who basically spent all her spare time quilting, and actually did like a one-week "how to sew" unit in second grade, and I thought they had holes in them :doh:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gwydion's job includes cleaning the house. A house with a cat in it.
How can the wizard get made at him for having cat fur? By my calculations there should be several large bags stuffed with cat fur that Gwydion's trying to figure out how to get rid of.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Because Manannan is a paranoid jerk, as well as an evil wizard who can just zap things he doesn't like after all.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
If the bears aren't leaving when you enter the screen with their house, is the door locked? Or do they just kick you out if you try to go inside? I'm trying to figure out the logic behind the timer in this game if there a events with an RNG that can gently caress you over that much.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I believe the logic is it's a Sierra adventure game :v: it's not that the developers are being needlessly mean, it's just that how else are they gonna get you to play for 40 hours when the whole thing can be completed in under 1 hour?

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Seyser Koze posted:

Does he hunt you down and kill you at 30, or do you not find out until you eventually go back home?

Nah he'll show up anywhere you are in the world and getcha. Doesn't matter if you're at the bar, on a ship, or in the desert.

Lucas Archer posted:

If the bears aren't leaving when you enter the screen with their house, is the door locked? Or do they just kick you out if you try to go inside? I'm trying to figure out the logic behind the timer in this game if there a events with an RNG that can gently caress you over that much.

Papa Bear answers the door, says "SCRAM! We don't want any!" and kicks you one screen south. There's a dizzy "seeing stars" animation, and then you stand up and resume play.

The logic behind the RNG is KQ3 was made in 1986 when none of the books on how to do game design had been written yet, and the programmers were blazing trails, trying cool new things for the very first time and learning as they went. In retrospect, the most sensible thing would be if the game defaulted to the bears leaving the house the first time you entered the screen. In practice, it isn't a deal, and it doesn't really gently caress you over. It takes all of half a second to hit the left arrow to leave the screen, followed by the right arrow to re-enter it. It's not going to cost you all that much time.

Bloops Crusts fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 24, 2017

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Well, that's assuming the player realizes the bears CAN be leaving the house at all, and that they can be made to do so simply by leaving and re-entering the screen. If I was playing it, I'd probably just assume I needed something to get me inside or needed to do something on the screen to make them leave.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It's an attempt to simulate a living, dynamic world. It was a pretty common way of doing that back when the developers didn't have the resources to run a dozen counters like the one that keeps track of the wizard in this game. Having it be random can make it seem like the denizens of the game are moving around on their own mysterious schedules if you don't get how it works. You're not supposed to just reroll the screen, you're supposed to see that the bears are in, go do something else, wander by a different time, and see that the situation has changed. People caught onto the trick really fast, though.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

PurpleXVI posted:

Well, that's assuming the player realizes the bears CAN be leaving the house at all, and that they can be made to do so simply by leaving and re-entering the screen. If I was playing it, I'd probably just assume I needed something to get me inside or needed to do something on the screen to make them leave.

Anyone who played through KQ1's "is the witch at home" or KQ2's "is grandma or the wolf in the bed"-scenarios probably instinctively knew how to act in this case already.

Oh, and if he's home and answers the door, Papa Bear doesn't kick you south a screen, he merely slams the door in your face and Gwydion gets dazed for a second. You DO get kicked south a screen if Mama Bear is tending her garden (a third scenario not pictured in the LP) and you get too close to the flowers. (to get dew or just because you're a masochist)

There are actually five scenarios when you enter the cottage screen. The Bears are at home, the Bears are not at home, the Bears leave home, the Bears return home and the Bears are home + Mama is tending the garden. You can only enter the cottage in the 2nd and 3rd case.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 24, 2017

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

EorayMel posted:

Keep in mind DoubleNegative is doing as much as possible as quickly as possible for LP purposes. You get several opportunities to go into town before you completely run out of time, and only a few things in town actually need to be done before you get rid of the wizard. Presumably you're also saving before doing lots of screwing around.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

can you win the game without doing this

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

where the red fern gropes posted:

can you win the game without doing this

No.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Welcome back to King's Quest III. Let's do things the right way this time. No more falling off of high ledges... on this set of screens.

Random encounters in King's Quest games are something I'm glad died a much deserved death after this game. King's Quest IV has a lone, notorious, exception. However it's limited to like... six screens in the entire game? My point is, Sierra had started to realize literally nobody likes random unpreventable deaths.

They wouldn't internalize the lesson for two more games, and wouldn't take the lesson to heart for three more titles. This tangent also made me realize that King's Quest V is fast approaching and, not gonna lie, I'm not looking forward to that particular bundle of bullshit.

Anyway, reloading here because I don't want to deal with robbing these idiots again.

Good lord, this is some bad luck happening right here. Once you've stolen from the bandits, in a well designed game, they would disappear from the game world from shame or some such. Instead, these assholes are gonna be haunting us until we can escape from Llewdor.

Anyway, here's the small little port town we saw from the mountaintop. The store has a bunch of items we need to loot now that we have some money. Speaking of which...

: You eagerly peek inside the soft leather coin purse and discover it contains some shiny gold coins. You may want to count them.

>count coins

: Gwydion has eight gold coins.

So that's good to know. But before we go spending all our money in one place, there's some other items I want to grab from Llewdor first.

We're directly south of the town.

>look tree

: One of the trees has a light-green colored plant growing upon it. On closer inspection, Gwydion sees that it's mistletoe. He searches among the hanging mistletoe until he finds a sprig that has dried. Upon finding some, he breaks it off and carries it with him.

South of the mistletoe trees, we find this spooky spiderweb cave.

>look web

: It's the largest web Gwydion has ever seen! He can't help but wonder about the spider which could create such a web.

: As Gwydion touches the sticky web, a giant spider drops dowm from her lair in the tree above. Gwydion attempts to escape, but the spider's sticky web holds him fast!

So let's not investigate the giant spiderweb.

Instead, we need some of this riverbank mud.

>get mud

: With the wooden spoon, Gwydion kneels and scoops a spoonful of wet mud from the stream's bank.

And one screen to the east, we need some of this too.

>get ocean water

: Gwydion fills his cup with ocean water.

My test run through the game, I forgot to get the spoon from the rack back in the kitchen in Manannan's house. It turns out you not only need the spoon to get that mud, but to cast spells prove you didn't steal the game.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm fine with copy protection as long as it's done well. I just think another Sierra title did this game's copy protection better in every way. I also played that other game first. Yes I will be covering it.

Alright, so we got a bunch of items the past several updates. So let's take some time to look at those.

: The dry, thin snake skin is extremely fragile.
: The dried sprig of mistletoe is a thick, greyish-green, with remnants of little berries still attached. It is not a pretty plant.
: The warm porridge is in a pretty blue ceramic bowl. Its aroma wafts up to, and tantalizes, your nose.
: The metal cup has ocean water in it.
: The little thimble is fashioned of bright gleaming silver.
: The dew sparkles within the little silver thimble.
: The spoonful of mud has already dried.
: The eagle's tail feather makes you wonder what it would be like to soar among the clouds.
: The greenish-gray cactus is small, plump, and fleshy.

We've now been pretty much everywhere and gotten everything. So with only 12 minutes left on our free time clock, let's go shopping.

: Good day to you, young man. What can I do for you?
: Just a moment. I need to pet your dog.
: Feel free. He likes attention.

Aww, look at the dog. Let's pet him.

>pet dog

: As Gwydion pets him, Kenny, licks his hand and thumps his tail in appreciation. A small wad of dog fur collects in Gwydion's hand, and he tucks it into his pocket for later use.

: Sorry about that. I need to buy some necessities. I need some... salt, some fish oil, some lard, and a pouch.
: That's one heck of a list, son.
: The pantry is running low and we need to restock.
: Well, you came to the right place.

: Your total comes to four gold coins, young man.
: Gwydion pays his bill and exits the store with a smile.

: Looking inside the salt bag, you see the coarse grains of salt.
: There's nothing very interesting about this jar of whitish, thick lard.
: A strong, fishy smell emanates from the glass jar.
: This is a plain leather pouch, useful for storing liquid or dry ingredients. Right now, it is empty.
: The wad of dog hair is dirty-white and brown.

We've been to all the important screens. So time to show off just what the magic map can do.

It's a little more impressive when you're not teleporting a single screen to the north, to be fair. But we do have in our possession actual fast travel.

And that's every screen in Llewdor. In spite of the limited, MSPaint-like color palatte, the artists made some very pretty scenery.

Of course, it was still 1980s Sierra. So in spite of having actual fast travel, there was a contractual obligation to prevent things from being too convenient. So every time we want to travel back to Manannan's house, we need to walk back up the path.

What makes you think it annoys me?

Guess what I forgot to do? So I think that's a good point to call this update.

NEXT TIME: Spell casting bonanza.

List of Points

+1 - Mistletoe
+1 - Streamside mud
+1 - Salt water
+1 - Pet the dog!
+1 - Bought salt
+1 - Bought fish oil
+1 - Bought lard
+1 - Bought pouch

Total: 75/210

Register of Deaths

Fell off the mountain path. Again.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Gwydion's inventory seems a lot more mundane than most adventure game protagonists', no magic artifacts or the like, just mud and basic pantry contents.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
And that detail about having go up and down that path is one of the hardest parts of this game. Such a pain in the neck.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

grandalt posted:

And that detail about having go up and down that path is one of the hardest parts of this game. Such a pain in the neck.

It's a legit timesink. You get like 20-25 minutes of free time, but expect to drop 10%+ on navigating the path (going down and back up).

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
You only have to walk down the mountain once. After that, you can teleport straight to the bottom.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
I'd never actually seen these games before following this LP. It's amazing what graphics technology they had to work with back then. I'm finally understanding a lot of jokes and references that other games have made to this series. I don't suppose you'd be interested in showing off my favorite King's Quest parody, Peasant's Quest?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

DoubleNegative posted:

+1 - Pet the dog!
:3:

You are all right, game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

HomestarCanter posted:

I don't suppose you'd be interested in showing off my favorite King's Quest parody, Peasant's Quest?

I don't have any plans to, no. But if you want to LP it in the thread, be my guest. I'll link to your table of contents in the OP with the rest of mine.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

KQ4's lone notable random instadeath

I'll hold off until you actually get to KQ4 on why I hate it, but why do I get the feeling I know exactly which four screens you mean?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

So time to show off just what the magic map can do.

KQ6: Gwydion feels a strange pulling sensation.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I imagine all this fine cursor navigation was regarded as an acceptable challenge in those early days of gaming. Can't think why.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Glazius posted:

I imagine all this fine cursor navigation was regarded as an acceptable challenge in those early days of gaming. Can't think why.

Yeah. It's not like platformers were ever a thing, or remotely popular.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

DoubleNegative posted:

I don't have any plans to, no. But if you want to LP it in the thread, be my guest. I'll link to your table of contents in the OP with the rest of mine.

Peasant's Quest as my first ever LP, hmm? I might just do that. If anyone who actually knows what they're doing wants to try it instead, though, be my guest.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

HomestarCanter posted:

Peasant's Quest as my first ever LP, hmm? I might just do that. If anyone who actually knows what they're doing wants to try it instead, though, be my guest.

If you don;t I may take up the challenge

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

HomestarCanter posted:

Funnily enough, I never knew that was specifically a parody of King's Quest. Now that I think of it though... yeah, totally makes sense. And thinking back on it, it explains some of the stuff in the game. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's an homage to Sierra adventure games in general, but it's main inspiration is King's Quest. If anyone's gonna do it though, they'd better do it soon, what with Adobe ending support for Flash in the next few years.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

In the shop, do you need to know what to buy? If so, are there 'dummy items' that aren't purchase-able? Or buyable useless trap items?

Or does the game have mercy on you and stock only what you need?

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Even Sierra doesn't let you waste money you can't get back by buying useless items, as far as I can recall. Generally when they have shops in their games, there will be a couple of useful things, and everything else will be way too expensive for you to buy a single item, or out of stock, or broken, or already promised to another buyer and just sitting in the store to take up space, or the game will outright say 'You don't need that' if you try to buy it.

now, in a game where you have ways of making more money, they're more willing to let you waste it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

gegi posted:

now, in a game where you have ways of making more money, they're more willing to let you waste it.

Even if said method is tedious and painfully random (Space Quest II). I've heard of the supposed method to rig the slot machine but I've never got the item or it didn't work or something.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Sage Grimm posted:

Even if said method is tedious and painfully random (Space Quest II). I've heard of the supposed method to rig the slot machine but I've never got the item or it didn't work or something.

That's Space Quest I, and there's an item that does it in the VGA remake. In the original, there's a cheat code you have to type.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

SQ3 actually has a vendor with useless items, but you probably have enough buckazoids where it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

OAquinas posted:

SQ3 actually has a vendor with useless items, but you probably have enough buckazoids where it doesn't matter.

IIRC only one of his items was actually useless, and you could still wear it and look like a boss which is arguably the best use of all.

• Locked thread