Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah convince one of your stupider friends that they're losing money and support their decision to bring this problem to some khakis. Maybe have him buddyfuck that 2nd class that has failed your command.

But certainly don't ever leave money on the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Edit: Actually this was the wrong answer anyway.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah convince one of your stupider friends that they're losing money and support their decision to bring this problem to some khakis. Maybe have him buddyfuck that 2nd class that has failed your command.

But certainly don't ever leave money on the table

We'll probably get it handled today with a phone call. The second isn't failing anyone, our LCPO for the detail was directed to do the claims with us and he's been sent right back out. So I guess it's just an institutional failure. Our org chart is essentially a piece of paper that a three year old scribbled on, went through a paper shredder, and a blind person tried to piece back together with rubber bands.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Hey guys remember that Transgenders in the Military training we had to do a few months ago?

edit: Lol I always forget about my red text.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Hey guys remember that Transgenders in the Military training we had to do a few months ago?

This is the post, av, and red text combo of the year.

Content: a family member was involved pretty heavily in the 90s in the development & rollout of telemedicine for guys at (then) NAS Miramar who would need surgery in San Diego. Instead of having the poor guy drive three hours across the desert for consultation, pre op, the surgery, and post op, they'd have a surgeon in San Diego on one side of an old webcam and the patient plus a nurse on the other at Miramar. Since they welded a camera to an endoscope, they could get away with remote pre/post op and cut travel down to just the surgery.

Is this still a thing today? I'm curious whether it took off.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 26, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

God drat you got a game winning AV there.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I have to go to admin for BAS. RIP.

But at least men can't get tits to assault women in the showers in My Navy now :)

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Seeing all those stories about India and deploying in the poo water has reaffirmed my desire to try and get P-8's once I'm through training.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Enjoy the Central American microbes on your counter-narcotics dets. Try not to get murdered by drug cartels.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Yes ignore all the ports that aren't India and doing actual fun flying so you can brag about getting per diem while you deploy.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Enjoy the Central American microbes on your counter-narcotics dets. Try not to get murdered by drug cartels.

I did 6 months on that det. Didn't get murdered and only got the comalapas once... Before an 11 hour flight. Would do again regardless. Of course I got out and fly into hurricanes now, so infer what you will about my sanity or opinion of the VP community.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Being a noaa hurricane hunter seems insane as gently caress

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
It's pretty interesting doing the hurricane stuff. It's kind of crazy how long they've been doing it and how long some of these guys have been around. It's still kind of unsettling every time I go awhile between storm flights, but most of the flights aren't as bad as you'd think. Occasionally you do get some really nasty ones and those are miserable.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010
Is the Reserve worth whatever effort is involved to become involved with it? For being "such a good deal" it really isn't marketed as heavily as the Army counterpart.

Things that would draw me to it:
-Cheap healthcare for a young family
-The potential to go find some job that is exciting or fulfilling in some way (change of designator?) I want to think that maybe there's something I would've enjoyed doing in uniform....this might be naive of me, admittedly

-Things that would not draw me to it
-I was not thrilled by the people I found myself working for on AD and the idea of reservists lowering the bar further scares me
-It's like teasing yourself with the idea of being a civilian, but not 100%

I'm looking at myself attending school full time while working full time with a newish babby if it makes any difference.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Is the Reserve worth whatever effort is involved to become involved with it? For being "such a good deal" it really isn't marketed as heavily as the Army counterpart.

-The potential to go find some job that is exciting or fulfilling in some way (change of designator?) I want to think that maybe there's something I would've enjoyed doing in uniform....this might be naive of me, admittedly

-I was not thrilled by the people I found myself working for on AD and the idea of reservists lowering the bar further scares me

I'm looking at myself attending school full time while working full time with a newish babby if it makes any difference.

Tricare reserve is seriously cheap for a family plan.
Look at what units are near you to see what your potential to find an exciting and fulfilling job is.
Why, specifically, were you not thrilled with the AD people?

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Why, specifically, were you not thrilled with the AD people?

I was/am a SWO.

I mean, more than that, my experiences in the last 3 years seem to fall more in line with people who were SWO's like 10 years ago with the lovely bosses who throw things and are not rational.
There are actually a lot of people I've met the genuinely enjoy it and are okay people so the "I'm a SWO this sucks rear end" thing doesn't seem to get as many nods of acknowledgment as you'd think it would.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DinosaurWarfare posted:

I was/am a SWO.

I mean, more than that, my experiences in the last 3 years seem to fall more in line with people who were SWO's like 10 years ago with the lovely bosses who throw things and are not rational.
There are actually a lot of people I've met the genuinely enjoy it and are okay people so the "I'm a SWO this sucks rear end" thing doesn't seem to get as many nods of acknowledgment as you'd think it would.

I am also a SWO.
My reserve units have been with:
aviators (awesome)
NECC (worst ever)
Intel (pretty good)
and now SWOs, but I've only done one weekend with them so TBD. Spending all that time away from the "SWO Reserve Pipeline" ( :jerkbag: ) probably isn't helping my chances at O5 but it sure is better than doing SWO stuff every month.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I know why my corner of NECC totally sucks, curious why at your reserve spot

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I have no idea what the SWO reserve life is like but tricare does indeed rock.

Currently on ADT orders at a nosc fixing broken printers and helping logistics while waiting for some poo poo to get fixed with my jpas for a civilian job.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

I know why my corner of NECC totally sucks, curious why at your reserve spot

Basically, our gaining command didn't give a poo poo about us, took all of our funding and let our manning dry up, never communicated any sort of mission or requirements or really anything - they even had a change of command they didn't even bother to notify us about. My OIC mobilized, leaving me the only officer and when I contacted them to introduce myself they told me to gently caress off and never talk to them again because I was not the OIC.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

PM'ed you with general questions i don't want to derail the thread with but forgot to ask if you have paid the extra monies for private messages

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

Basically, our gaining command didn't give a poo poo about us, took all of our funding and let our manning dry up, never communicated any sort of mission or requirements or really anything - they even had a change of command they didn't even bother to notify us about. My OIC mobilized, leaving me the only officer and when I contacted them to introduce myself they told me to gently caress off and never talk to them again because I was not the OIC.

Holy poo poo...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm a SWO reservist as well. My experience after 1.5 years as such is that you can find a cool job, but it's difficult. I did, because the unit I support is in the same city where I went to grad school and am looking to start a career, but it's a lucky thing - other units didn't interest me nearly as much. Some units you might be interested in that aren't local will allow you to only drill at their NOSC once a quarter and locally other months - you'll spend your drill paycheck entirely on travel since you'll likely need to pay the ticket yourself in that case but it may be well worth it if you get a cool AT each year.

The paycheck is actually very nice for what you're really doing. The healthcare is also really nice. However, don't expect a lot of satisfaction. For a full year+ after AD I left each and every drill weekend angry for one reason or another. The system itself is poor, communication is incredibly difficult, and people (rightfully) tend to check out during the month though as an Officer you'll be expected to do work outside of the drill weekend (I am writing a monthly report right now!) After a while you get used to it, anticipate the poo poo that's likely to erupt over any given process, and it works out. It becomes a slog then but every so often it's nice to get together and tell sea stories.

That said, for the financial security it has given me, and the instability that healthcare is likely to face in the coming years - I'll probably stick with it. At least in the short run though I starting a new career in corporate makes me leery of any potential deployment.

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 1, 2017

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Holy poo poo...

So yeah, after that I mobilized myself. When I got back, we had a new OIC. Pretty cool dude, he's the one who told me that it was three months after the change of command that they finally let him know that his emails to the CO weren't going to anyone useful any more. I signed up for some good ADT orders and they got shot down because I didn't get permission. I told them that my OIC gave me permission and they said that he didn't count, that they had to. I picked up the phone to the detailer that day and got a new unit.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wow.
My command just doesn't check their drat unit inbox when not drilling so I learned I have to send an email to everyone then just call the XO (the only one who answers her phone) and have her push out the orders.
Looking forward to getting a berth in m cross assigned unit.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DinosaurWarfare posted:

I dropped it mainly because as a federal employee I'm not eligible for tricare, and the two negatives you listed were painfully true.

That being said if I was a SWO abs eligible for tricare I probably would have stuck with it. I guess.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Anyone hear about a man overboard yesterday on the USS Stethem near china?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Another hide 'n seek?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

PneumonicBook posted:

I dropped it mainly because as a federal employee I'm not eligible for tricare, and the two negatives you listed were painfully true.

That being said if I was a SWO abs eligible for tricare I probably would have stuck with it. I guess.

Just got out in June. Didn't sign up for Reserves. No regrets.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Another hide 'n seek?

Hopefully.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

maffew buildings posted:

I just need to know how to get BAS for the time gone, can't figure it out on my claim. Our supply department handles DTS so, that's fun

Former DTA:

Switch your per diem to commercial rate. Write in that the place had no government dining facility.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vriess posted:

Former DTA:

Switch your per diem to commercial rate. Write in that the place had no government dining facility.

Sounds like an extremely cool guy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cleaning out the nosc and found something curious.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You gotta get into lovely dumb rates like BM, CS, PS, or any seabee to see 12 year E4s. The real crazy part is not going to mast that whole time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

You gotta get into lovely dumb rates like BM, CS, PS, or any seabee to see 12 year E4s. The real crazy part is not going to mast that whole time.

Is it even possible to be a 12 year e4 anymore i thought hyt was 8 now for e4.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

orange juche posted:

Is it even possible to be a 12 year e4 anymore i thought hyt was 8 now for e4.

It just moved from 8-10 this year. That badge is definitely old af because it hasn't been 12+ since they allowed E5s to retire, iirc.

Edit: that was in 2005, so it's been a while.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 4, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah 12 year e-5 sure but an e-4? Lol

Well I knew six year e-3s so 🤷🏽‍♀️

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not only are you a retard that never got promoted but you were so stupid that you never broke the rules either. smh

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
You would think that with 10+ years of PNA points you might get E-5 out of pity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ded posted:

You would think that with 10+ years of PNA points you might get E-5 out of pity.

Jokes on you it caps at 4 years :haw: