Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

BigRed0427 posted:

So basically Gay marriage now means loving nothing because the Texas Supreme Court are a bunch of ducking cowards.

gently caress this country

The Texas Supreme Court is not capable of overruling the supreme Court, not even in Texas, why would you think this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Quorum posted:

The Texas Supreme Court is not capable of overruling the supreme Court, not even in Texas, why would you think this?

It still stands until SCOTUS clarifies their decision/whatever legal poo poo needs to happen to get the case to them

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Moatman posted:

It still stands until SCOTUS clarifies their decision/whatever legal poo poo needs to happen to get the case to them

Yeah...in texas. I think the broadness of Bigred's statement makes it sound as if they think it applies everywhere.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah...in texas. I think the broadness of Bigred's statement makes it sound as if they think it applies everywhere.

Yeah, but how long does it take to get things before the supreme court? What if we have another vacancy by then? Also, LBGT couples in Texas are screwed until this gets cleared up.

Sorry, I've just been scared and angry all day because of this and other stuff.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Even with another Trump appointee, SCOTUS probably isn't going to agree with the legal argument that saying "X are allowed to marry" doesn't mean that they're entitled to the benefits of marriage as well.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, but how long does it take to get things before the supreme court? What if we have another vacancy by then? Also, LBGT couples in Texas are screwed until this gets cleared up.

Sorry, I've just been scared and angry all day because of this and other stuff.

I dont want to sound blasé about your concerns, for what its worth. I agree, for couples in Texas this is a really lovely situation that keeps happening due to America's insistance on states rights.

But this routine is old hat, some conservative judge or politician passes a law he knows wont hold water because he wants to impress his constituents, and then gets slapped down by the federal government. Politician whines that mean ol' big government is crushing states rights, gets re-elected. Its theatre in political form.

Whats so important is not to get into the "gently caress this, gently caress everyone" mentality because that kind of cynicism will eat away at you. This is a localized change affecting a single state, and theres a lot of really good people who will fight this, and definitely win.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Also the ruling is primarily about whether gay married couples should get benefits applied retroactively from before the Obergefell ruling, while not saying that they can't get them from whenever their gay marriage became legal in Texas. I'm not sure if there were ever similar applications of retroactive benefits for the last similar situation, when interracial marriage was legalized nationwide.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mind you, those rights and benefits should be retroactive in some respects, because the legal standing for preventing their application was specious.

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011
Just thought I'd point this out...

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2796/text

It looks like it's mostly meant to invalidate a bunch of anti-discrimination laws, because they don't like the judicial precedents.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Vulpes Vvardenfell posted:

Just thought I'd point this out...

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2796/text

It looks like it's mostly meant to invalidate a bunch of anti-discrimination laws, because they don't like the judicial precedents.

Ah, so a national superseding law to hit that states they don't control.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Glazier posted:

Ah, so a national superseding law to hit that states they don't control.

No. This proposed law effects only federal civil rights laws, like Title IX (Education) the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Public Accommodations), Fair Housing Act, etc. It does not (and constitutionally cannot) do anything to states that have legislatively or judicially broadened their civil rights protections.

This bill is meant to permanently undo the changes the Obama Administration made in defining the word 'sex' as used in those statutes, particularly Title IX.

The changes were temporarily undone when the administrations changed and Trump's DoJ disavowed the expanded definitions, so the actual impact of this bill is moot, at least for the next 3 1/2 years.

This ensures that future executive departments can't just declare new definitions, and that any future changes in the definition will have to come from congress.

This bill essentially says, "We, congress, made this law. We, congress, get to decide what definitions get used. We, congress, understand the executive branch has broadened our definitions. We, congress, declare that those broadened definitions were not what we, congress meant when we made those definitions. Here is a new, more extensive definition that clears up any ambiguity in that area."
This is basic high school civics, so there's nothing hinky about it legally or procedurally, it's just a lovely thing to do.

I'm not sure how this will effect the 7th Circuit's work on the gender sterotyping/gender nonconformity angle it's been developing.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

joat mon posted:

No. This proposed law effects only federal civil rights laws, like Title IX (Education) the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Public Accommodations), Fair Housing Act, etc. It does not (and constitutionally cannot) do anything to states that have legislatively or judicially broadened their civil rights protections.

This bill is meant to permanently undo the changes the Obama Administration made in defining the word 'sex' as used in those statutes, particularly Title IX.

The changes were temporarily undone when the administrations changed and Trump's DoJ disavowed the expanded definitions, so the actual impact of this bill is moot, at least for the next 3 1/2 years.

This ensures that future executive departments can't just declare new definitions, and that any future changes in the definition will have to come from congress.

This bill essentially says, "We, congress, made this law. We, congress, get to decide what definitions get used. We, congress, understand the executive branch has broadened our definitions. We, congress, declare that those broadened definitions were not what we, congress meant when we made those definitions. Here is a new, more extensive definition that clears up any ambiguity in that area."
This is basic high school civics, so there's nothing hinky about it legally or procedurally, it's just a lovely thing to do.

I'm not sure how this will effect the 7th Circuit's work on the gender sterotyping/gender nonconformity angle it's been developing.

Thanks for the breakdown, really good info :)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/owner-dallas-gay-leather-bar-enters-texas-governor-s-race-n784581

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Well I'm sold.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

gently caress this poo poo stain of a president! I am so pissed right now!

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/343847-trump-calls-for-ban-on-transgender-individuals-in-military

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
There's gonna be another tweet roundup but it'll probably be around midday cause when stuff like this drops its literally impossible to keep track with the number of reactions and everybody hurriedly writing articles.

Having said that this came completely out of the blue cause I don't recall ANYTHING on this leaking after Mattis put his foot down.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i personally can't bring myself to muster up much outrage over not being allowed to serve in america's military

like "oh no i can't take part in a racist imperialist machine designed to promote american corporate interests, how dare." wake me up when he finally manages to repeal the healthcare law

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's gonna be another tweet roundup but it'll probably be around midday cause when stuff like this drops its literally impossible to keep track with the number of reactions and everybody hurriedly writing articles.

Having said that this came completely out of the blue cause I don't recall ANYTHING on this leaking after Mattis put his foot down.

Thanks, PPJ. You're doing the lord's work.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Senju Kannon posted:

i personally can't bring myself to muster up much outrage over not being allowed to serve in america's military

like "oh no i can't take part in a racist imperialist machine designed to promote american corporate interests, how dare." wake me up when he finally manages to repeal the healthcare law

For many transpersons the military represents the only option to avoid homelessness and have a chance at a real life.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prester Jane posted:

For many transpersons the military represents the only option to avoid homelessness and have a chance at a real life.

that's more a condemnation of society than an exoneration of the military, though

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Senju Kannon posted:

Heard stats in other threads that something like 20% of trans folk serve in the military at some point. There are somewhere between 4-15k currently serving. Hearing conflicting information on the exact number.

You don't have to like the military but Trump trying to destroy thousands of people's lives for an electoral wedge issue is monstrous.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Senju Kannon posted:

the military is the single largest employer of trans people and you can be against militarism and imperialism and still realize that excluding trans people from the military is another step toward extermination and exclusion from society by denying them access to public institutions that are (even wrongly) associated with values and social responsibility

don't by a myopic dick about this

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Senju Kannon posted:

I agree, and on the same line of reasoning, black people should be forbidden from working for Wall Street

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Senju Kannon posted:

that's more a condemnation of society than an exoneration of the military, though
It is, but when the choices on the table are "trans people forced to join military to survive" and "trans people not allowed to join military to survive" then the latter is objectively worse, there is no "trans people not allowed to join military to survive but we make society magically less poo poo" option.

Same with allowing LGB people to serve openly. Yeah, it's a message that carries the undertone of "you can be an imperialist no matter what your sexuality" but that's still a step up from "we're proud to be a homophobic institution."

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Senju Kannon posted:

While technically correct, I would point out that your argument is of little comfort to a homeless person. For better or worse the military represents one of the few paths many transpersons have out of heinously abusive families/communities. Losing that is a big deal.

An even bigger deal though will the the validation of social stigmas that will result from this. We are now officially 2nd class citizens who cannot even serve our country in the armed forces. This will both be held against us (we are now moochers who are supported by the rest of society) as well as justification for violence (trannies are now weaklings who are unfit to serve). This is a very, very big deal.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I can't see this not going to SCOTUS. Does anyone know for sure what Gorsuch's views on the atypically sexual are?

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 26, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Keeshhound posted:

I can't see this not going to SCOTUS if implemented. Does anyone know for sure what Gorsuch's views on the atypically sexual are?

What do you think?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Prester Jane posted:

While technically correct, I would point out that your argument is of little comfort to a homeless person. For better or worse the military represents one of the few paths many transpersons have out of heinously abusive families/communities. Losing that is a big deal.

An even bigger deal though will the the validation of social stigmas that will result from this. We are now officially 2nd class citizens who cannot even serve our country in the armed forces. This will both be held against us (we are now moochers who are supported by the rest of society) as well as justification for violence (trannies are now weaklings who are unfit to serve). This is a very, very big deal.

Thanks, PJ, you've basically articulated my views on this matter and why even if you are the wokest, most Anti-Imperialist person ever to have Anti-Imperialisted, you should be upset about this.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Prester Jane posted:

People made fun of me when I called for queer people to acquire and practice with firearms. "Oh you're just overreacting, they're not coming for you." I wish they had been correct.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Pollyanna posted:

What do you think?

That he's a hollowed out corporatist shill whose default response is going to be the astonishingly lazy "what does the law as written say?"

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reene posted:

the military is the single largest employer of trans people and you can be against militarism and imperialism and still realize that excluding trans people from the military is another step toward extermination and exclusion from society by denying them access to public institutions that are (even wrongly) associated with values and social responsibility

don't by a myopic dick about this

for the employment thing; okay. i mean, how does that compare with the national average? are more trans people in the military than the average population? is the number active military only or does it include former military members?

and honestly i'm not sure how i feel about "military as a job creator" when we're in the middle of an eternal war. kinda feels like we're throwing poor people in a meat grinder in the name of scraps and benefits the government consistently fails to properly distribute.

also i'm not sure your second point is true. the military is actually a unique case, in that an executive order can clearly change who can or cannot be allowed to be employed. as far as other public institutions, judicial review and legislation are far more important than executive order, and the former's being tested by the current supreme court and justice department and the latter's been in the hands of republicans for years. it seems less "one step further" and more "a step a lot of people saw coming the second trump was elected and the order to allow trans people in the military was delayed six months." i don't know, this seems like not a great barometer for trans rights. i feel like the current healthcare debates might have more far reaching consequences for trans people than this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Keeshhound posted:

That he's a hollowed out corporatist shill whose default response is going to be the astonishingly lazy "what does the law as written say?"

This matters only in as much as the law as written has a conservative bias. Gorsuch is entirely willing to throw away that strategy to toe the GOP/right-wing line. Plus, he'll prolly just say "lol I don't see where in the Constitution it says that we CAN'T gently caress over trans people so eat it".

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Senju Kannon posted:

for the employment thing; okay. i mean, how does that compare with the national average? are more trans people in the military than the average population? is the number active military only or does it include former military members?

and honestly i'm not sure how i feel about "military as a job creator" when we're in the middle of an eternal war. kinda feels like we're throwing poor people in a meat grinder in the name of scraps and benefits the government consistently fails to properly distribute.

also i'm not sure your second point is true. the military is actually a unique case, in that an executive order can clearly change who can or cannot be allowed to be employed. as far as other public institutions, judicial review and legislation are far more important than executive order, and the former's being tested by the current supreme court and justice department and the latter's been in the hands of republicans for years. it seems less "one step further" and more "a step a lot of people saw coming the second trump was elected and the order to allow trans people in the military was delayed six months." i don't know, this seems like not a great barometer for trans rights. i feel like the current healthcare debates might have more far reaching consequences for trans people than this.

Gay people serving in the military is frequently cited as a huge reason for the social transformation w/r/t gay rights. That path has now been squarely forbidden to transpeople and purposefully to avoid transpeople from acquiring the same social acceptance through service that gay people did.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Glazier posted:

People made fun of me when I called for queer people to acquire and practice with firearms. "Oh you're just overreacting, they're not coming for you." I wish they had been correct.

Take your meds homie.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JamilSmith/status/890217328855531520

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prester Jane posted:

isn't the military majority middle class? your argument seems more theoretical than statistical, tbh

quote:

i'm pretty sure the difficulty trans people as a class have at accessing most social services cements trans people's status as secondhand citizens, not the ability to serve in the military. and as for it being held against us, i think you're putting the cart before the horse. people aren't going to say "trans people can't serve in the military therefore x" they're gonna say "trans people SHOULDN'T serve in the military BECAUSE they're x"

as for violence, the majority of violence that happens to trans people is against trans women of color as a result of street harassment and trans people in the military isn't going to hurt or help those statistics.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prester Jane posted:

Gay people serving in the military is frequently cited as a huge reason for the social transformation w/r/t gay rights. That path has now been squarely forbidden to transpeople and purposefully to avoid transpeople from acquiring the same social acceptance through service that gay people did.

is it? by whom? i've heard will and grace cited as the source for the acceptance of gay rights but not the inclusion of gays in the military

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Senju Kannon posted:

is it? by whom? i've heard will and grace cited as the source for the acceptance of gay rights but not the inclusion of gays in the military

Im actually not gonna disagree on that point but really im kinda shocked that this thread is going into "well maybe in this scenario, the military industrial complex is good?".

I'm trans but admittedly privileged enough to not have gone into the military to survive. Im sympathetic to those views. But i agree with senjuu that maybe feeding the bodies of the poor queers is playing their game in a way I'm not comfortable with.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RagnarokAngel posted:

Im actually not gonna disagree on that point but really im kinda shocked that this thread is going into "well maybe in this scenario, the military industrial complex is good?".
It's not, it's bad. The capitalist mode of production is also bad, but I'm not going to tell all trans people (or anyone really) that unless they're living in a squat eating a freegan diet they're bad.

I also welcome this system being forced to be less poo poo on LGBT issues while recognizing that it is still bad in other ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm trans but admittedly privileged enough to not have gone into the military to survive. Im sympathetic to those views. But i agree with senjuu that maybe feeding the bodies of the poor queers is playing their game in a way I'm not comfortable with.

I don't want to join the army.

Some people do and it's hosed up they can't because they are trans.

• Locked thread