Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Latin Pheonix posted:

These people are sick and need help.

These are the same people who whined endlessly about there being a "goon-run" leaks subreddit after they tried to draw and quarter the guy posting evocati leaks on the main subreddit lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

I can't stop. The only two things that power my black heart are ruining the lives of nerds, and finely crafted ruses. I won't stop.

Can't stop.

In gently caress-me-they-want-how-much news;

http://nordic.businessinsider.com/yves-behar-defends-juicero-juicer-2017-7/

Behar posted:

The device is priced out of reach for most people and solves a problem they don't have, critics say.
But legendary designer Yves Behar doesn't see the problem with the $400 juicer he designed. He likened the kitchen gadget to a coffee grinder and said that customers are "very, very happy" in a recent interview with Dezeen.

"I have a machine to grind my coffee," he told Dezeen. "I don't grind my coffee with my fists. That would be a lot of work and make a lot of mess. I don't see a difference between the two situations."

It's a $400 juicer that people found that you didn't need to actually use the horribly over-priced juice packs. Yves Behar was the designer behind the OUYA and apparently doesn't grind coffee with his fists.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

it's really more of a squeezer than a juicer since you are buying juice to put in it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Does Yves know its easier to grind stuff with your teeth?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

it's like buying folgers and dumping it in your expensive coffee grinder.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

big nipples big life posted:

gently caress. Brb.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

it's really more of a squeezer than a juicer since you are buying juice to put in it.

A $400 squeezer.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-juicero-press-is-so-expensive-2017-4 - this is actually fascinating if you like the construction details.

Nobody buys Folgers.

Do they?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I do :confused:

people always come in to my office at work and talk about how great my coffee smells and I always say it's just plain old folgers and they look at me like I have 2 heads.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Speaking of beverages and all that

What the gently caress is my spaceman supposed to hydrate with? Do electrolytes still exist in the 30th Century?

Will I be able to buy pork buns from an asian street vendor? What flavors of Mac and Cheese will exist then?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

A $400 squeezer.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-juicero-press-is-so-expensive-2017-4 - this is actually fascinating if you like the construction details.

Nobody buys Folgers.

Do they?

I drink only the finest artisanal coffee you can buy that comes in a big bucket with the words "CHOCK FULL O' NUTS" stamped on the side lol. I spent far too long working at various coffee shops to give a poo poo about buying a pound of coffee beans for $12.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i bet cig lost the avocado because :lesnick: wrapped it in bacon and ate it

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

These are the same people who whined endlessly about there being a "goon-run" leaks subreddit after they tried to draw and quarter the guy posting evocati leaks on the main subreddit lol.

That and child abuse is a totally apt comparison to leaking information about a video game.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

I've been doing my first play through of Fallout: New Vegas. Worth a play, but you have to pretend that the bombs fell like 20 years ago instead of 200. Doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense if the people have been sitting in rubble and sheet metal huts for seven or eight full generations.

If you want a fallout with the "The bombs just dropped" feel built into its lore, check out the "Frost" overhaul for Fallout 4

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18898/

The whole surface is a foggy, radioactive nuclear winter giving you rad poisoning everywhere, from 2 rad/sec in the coutry to cities being the worst at up to 10+ rad/sec. You start out in a big tunel network and from there on its up to you to survive.

It suffer the same problem many survival game have (you either die early or reach a point where survival become trivial) but having the whole of fallout 4 assets to play with give it a little more depth. Good for giving the game a second life after one or two playtrough.

Bootcha posted:

I have about 25 pages of information I'm trying to parse down.

Somebody find a fat calf for some Texas style BBQ. This is going to be good.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 26, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Latin Pheonix posted:

That and child abuse is a totally apt comparison to leaking information about a video game.

Well, he did say consenting. Children can't. :v:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I can't stop. The only two things that power my black heart are ruining the lives of nerds, and finely crafted ruses. I won't stop.

at least you're a maniac with a cool dog

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

his nibs posted:

at least you're a maniac with a cool dog

It'll turn out that it's actually a maniac dog with a very impressionable owner.
Where did the idea of Legal come from, after all? Who else would imagine a dog to be the brains of the operation?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I don't like coffee, it smells like liquid armpit,but I also don't like pineapple on pizza or blue cheese tacos

I'm a tea-man.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Tippis posted:

It'll turn out that it's actually a maniac dog with a very impressionable owner.
Where did the idea of Legal come from, after all? Who else would imagine a dog to be the brains of the operation?

Another goonspiracy? :thunk:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
in honour of this thread, last week I had a pizza with chipotle-barbecue sauce, pineapple and black olives.

The next day I had another one because it was loving delicious (and because the pizza bases come in packs of 2 and it would have gone stale)

No Regrets :colbert:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Meridian posted:

Another goonspiracy? :thunk:

Why do you think we keep saying “there's always more; it's always worse”? Layers upon layers; wheels within wheels, man.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

Thanks for the sixer, my rapsheet is so much better now! Now to collect that little avocado from Literally a Bird.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Truga posted:

Well, he did say consenting. Children can't. :v:

Oooooh poo poo, well i take it all back then!

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

cynic posted:

I keep skipping hundreds of posts in this thread, and each time I read a few pages it just seems that they are no closer to having any actual gameplay. Can someone in the know let me know what actual gameplay mechanics have been released in the last 6 months or so? I've seen pretties, but nothing that suggests any meaningful progress towards creating something anyone would want to actually play. Weird.

Nothing outside of Star Marine putting some structure around the earlier free for all gunfights.

They did add some content in the form of new places to go (and nothing to do there) or things to buy (but no new way to earn money aside the already present handfull of missions.) but that is not "gameplay" to me.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheAgent posted:

if you cannot honor your NDA, please behead yourself for dishonoring the noble croberts

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Oh is this about the juicero?

The thing is legendary. I wrote an engineering case study about it in a class for value management, explaining how complete lack of budged concerns can not only lead to horribly overpriced products that have to be sold at a loss but also often are so unnecessary complex that they become very vulnerable to errors, failures and the like.

The juicero is probably the king of this. It's a 2000 dollar machine sold at a loss of 1600 dollars and all it does is squeezing 5 dollar juice packs (that's hardly a single glass of juice by the way)

The thing had WiFi, a camera, IOT and all that bogus stuff. When it came out that the software security was laughable and that you could basically spy out people's homes over the build in camera, customers tried to tape the camera opening which lead to the whole thing refusing to work. It's a great piece of technological nightmares really and a perfect example why a lack of project limitations is not a thing one should celebrate.

Here's a teardown of it by the way.

https://youtu.be/_Cp-BGQfpHQ

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 26, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tippis posted:

Come on now, let's not get into ridiculous conspiracy theories...

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Tippis posted:

I still maintain Legal is a small group of poor bastards at the local ticket clinic.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Combat Theory posted:

The thing is legendary. I wrote an engineering case study about it in a class for value management, explaining how complete lack of budged concerns can not only lead to horribly overpriced products that have to be sold at a loss but also often are so unnecessary complex that they become very vulnerable to errors, failures and the like.

The juicero is probably the king of this. It's a 2000 dollar machine sold at a loss of 1600 dollars and all it does is squeezing 5 dollar juice packs (that's hardly a single glass of juice by the way)

The thing had WiFi, a camera, IOT and all that bogus stuff. When it came out that the software security was laughable and that you could basically spy out people's homes over the build in camera, customers tried to tape the camera opening which lead to the whole thing refusing to work. It's a great piece of technological nightmares really and a perfect example why a lack of project limitations is not a thing one should celebrate.

But at least that means you get a glass of juice (or thereabouts) out of it, so it's pretty unfair to compare it to SC.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

:allears:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

Here's a teardown of it by the way.

https://youtu.be/_Cp-BGQfpHQ

This is perfect for the Star Citizen thread.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

Why do you think we keep saying “there's always more; it's always worse”? Layers upon layers; wheels within wheels, man.

Please use the new abbreviated term for that: "Cycloned"

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Beet Wagon posted:

:ohdear:

his nibs fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 26, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/890238619566342145

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Combat Theory posted:

The juicero is probably the king of this. It's a 2000 399 dollar machine sold at a loss of 1600 300 dollars and all it does is squeezing 5 6 dollar juice packs (that's hardly a single glass of juice by the way)

The machine itself is mildly over-engineered, but the kicker is that the machine supplies finger pressure, just a lot more consistently, to the pack. It's part of the move towards printer-inkifying foodstuffs that creates a 'subscription' relationship with the consumer.

The other bits about the internet of poo poo are pretty much common now. I embrace this technology and run an outbound firewall because most of the projects are produced with a very light concept of security or what uses you can put a device to. The camera on the device was for the barcodes, though.

I just think it's loving hilarious that they came up with a $400 single use machine that takes a consumable where it's not actually necessary to have the machine in the first place. Like Product development 101.

That Yves Behar was connected to it just makes it all the funnier.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

I drink only the finest artisanal coffee you can buy that comes in a big bucket with the words "CHOCK FULL O' NUTS" stamped on the side lol. I spent far too long working at various coffee shops to give a poo poo about buying a pound of coffee beans for $12.

I like my green mountain hazelnut. I find the Starbucks poo poo to be massively over-extracted and don't really get bent out of shape by the pedigree. I just haven't had an instant in the US that gets close to Kenco smooth.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Sorry Hav you are right of course about the price. But please let me say that the sentence at least made sense in my language ;)

Sold for 399

Worth: a lot more

Gain: comes with a subscription for 6 dollar juice packs

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Over-engineered Capri Sun technology

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

I like my green mountain hazelnut. I find the Starbucks poo poo to be massively over-extracted and don't really get bent out of shape by the pedigree. I just haven't had an instant in the US that gets close to Kenco smooth.

It's a remnant of hunting trips when I was a kid, but after years of trying to be a "coffee snob" I realized that for me nothing tastes better than dirt cheap pre-ground stuff filtered through an old sock. Which is fine by me, cause the habit is way cheaper that way haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Cymelion is a lost soul in Star Citizen wilderness