Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Nobody is saying the military-industrial complex is good. They're just saying that being an organization that proudly denies membership to trans people makes it worse. Plus no matter how horrible the military-industrial complex is it will always be an important economic opportunity for people with limited options. Things can be bad for the world overall while still providing some service and opportunity to people in the US, who, by the way, have no involvement in high level military decision making at all and so shouldn't suffer or be held accountable for the decisions of top brass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gnossiennes posted:

Thanks, PPJ. You're doing the lord's work.

I tweetdumped here; I'm not crossposting because it is absolutely massive.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I don't want to step outside my lane, and I'm completely with anti-imperialist criticism of the military and its veneration's effect on our culture. But acceptance into the military is one of the biggest ways the federal government defines who is an accepted group and who is the out-group. It's a major signal in our culture, and publicly barring trans people is a direct message to Trump's supporters.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I don't want to join the army.

Some people do and it's hosed up they can't because they are trans.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Prester Jane posted:

Gay people serving in the military is frequently cited as a huge reason for the social transformation w/r/t gay rights. That path has now been squarely forbidden to transpeople and purposefully to avoid transpeople from acquiring the same social acceptance through service that gay people did.

DADT was only overturned in 2011, this is bullshit military cheerleading that has nothing to do with reality. People as an average of the US population were mostly okay with gays long before that.

Also I would highly question the 20% figure because it's loving impossible to get a clear picture of how big exactly the US trans population is due to the sheer amount of us falling through the cracks in terms of how we handle transition.

That said yes it opens the way to more discrimination. I still won't pretend the military industrial complex needs to be cheerled more than it already is because of that.

Also for the record, the economic draft is at this point largely a myth, the full time military has requirements that basically culled it. The only place that still kinda qualifies for the economic draft is the NG, which due to intense recruitment efforts in that has basically reversed which side is the good old boys club and which side is the relatively poor rabble.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 26, 2017

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Senju Kannon posted:

i personally can't bring myself to muster up much outrage over not being allowed to serve in america's military

like "oh no i can't take part in a racist imperialist machine designed to promote american corporate interests, how dare." wake me up when he finally manages to repeal the healthcare law

Yeah, I was trying to reenlist, this was my one chance to actually have a semi decent standard of living and to get my surgery.

Go gently caress yourself.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Thalantos posted:

Yeah, I was trying to reenlist, this was my one chance to actually have a semi decent standard of living and to get my surgery.

Go gently caress yourself.

Is it really worth potentially having to murder poor people by orders to do that.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

RagnarokAngel posted:

Is it really worth potentially having to murder poor people by orders to do that.

Hmm.....let's see.....I actually withheld shooting folks that I could have in the ROE because I'm not a bloodthirsty savage. The one time I almost accidentally shot a civilian family because my superior was an idiot, I almost killed myself, I still feel suicidal about it sometimes.

gently caress you, too.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Hope youre getting therapy for it, real talk :(

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Days like this I wish I drank and fully understand why many people do.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I'm currently trying to help a trans vet friend who's worse off than ever so I'm not sure how universal the military is as an economic escape hatch. It seems like they promise a lot but don't always pull through, especially when the vets have trauma.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The SecDef is also out of the country right now and it seems pretty clear that this is all from the White House, not the Pentagon.

Wonder if the Pentagon's going to fight back on this.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I want the endless stream of ghouls coming out in support of transgender people when it's about getting more warm bodies for the forever war to end also. Like yes I get it, it's bad for trans people in service, but considering the state of life for most civilian trans people (the vast majority of us), acting like now trans people matter is just going to make me disgusted.

Where are you when it's not about soldiers? Oh yeah, you're voting for bathroom laws.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Agnosticnixie posted:

I want the endless stream of ghouls coming out in support of transgender people when it's about getting more warm bodies for the forever war to end also. Like yes I get it, it's bad for trans people in service, but considering the state of life for most civilian trans people (the vast majority of us), acting like now trans people matter is just going to make me disgusted.

Where are you when it's not about soldiers? Oh yeah, you're voting for bathroom laws.

What the gently caress even is this? Who supports trans people in the military and bathroom laws?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

there wolf posted:

What the gently caress even is this? Who supports trans people in the military and bathroom laws?

I would suspect most of the republicans who are acting like this is a bridge too far (e.g. Hatch who abstained on the DADT repeal and votes party line on LGBT issues)

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 26, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
This being D&D, I don't want to just post a bunch of angry crap (which I certainly can and have). So I will ask some questions.

Did anyone believe Trump when he said he was going to be a great friend to LGBT?

Did anyone believe that he felt anything other than indifference for LGBT?

Is anyone surprised that he throws transgender people under the bus to score some political points because his party is revolting?

What are the chances that the military will stand up to Trump and tell him that actually, transgender people in the military aren't a big deal and they are cool with it?

I'm transgender and have a job where I was allowed to transition, even supported by my co-workers. It wasn't required by law and I could have been fired over it since I work for a company in an at-will state. I am incredibly fortunate to have been where I was when I was. So many transgender people are abandoned by family and friends and lose everything. Joining the military is a chance to take back their life and finally feel like a real person, not a shadow, not a caricature. Taking that away will not help anyone and it will absolutely cause the deaths of more transgender people.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Aleph Null posted:

This being D&D, I don't want to just post a bunch of angry crap (which I certainly can and have). So I will ask some questions.

Did anyone believe Trump when he said he was going to be a great friend to LGBT?

Is anyone surprised that he throws transgender people under the bus to score some political points because his party is revolting?

People who voted for him were shocked that he wanted to go ahead with dumpstering the ACA, so yes, I'm sure the Log Cabin Republicans are completely flabbergasted by this development.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Aleph Null posted:

Caitlyn Jenner

https://twitter.com/Caitlyn_Jenner/status/890254837257981952

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Agnosticnixie posted:

I would suspect most of the republicans who are acting like this is a bridge too far (e.g. Hatch who abstained on the DADT repeal and votes party line on LGBT issues)

Alright, I haven't seen a Republican that's doing this, but I haven't exactly gone looking either, so I'll take your word on it.

And there are a ton of people who thought Trump was going to be a friend to the queer community because he was nothing more than a cypher for "I want whatever I don't like to stop" which meant different things to everyone. My aunt was really supportive about my top surgery two weeks ago, and she's still posting pro-Trump poo poo because there's no relation between the two in her brain.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Rand Corp did an analysis in 2015-16 on the impact of medical requirements for trans service personnel.

quote:

To determine the budgetary implications of gender transition–related treatment for
Military Health System (MHS) health care costs, we again used data from the private
health insurance system on the cost of extending coverage for this care to the transgender
personnel population. We estimate that AC MHS health care costs will increase
by between $2.4 million and $8.4 million annually—an amount that will have little
impact on and represents an exceedingly small proportion of AC health care expenditure
and overall DoD health care expenditures
($49.3 billion actual expenditures for the FY 2014 Unified Medical Program; Defense
Health Agency, 2015, p. 22).

So there's no financial basis to oppose it at all, and the DoD spends more on toilet seats.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
its cool to hate the military and all but a lot of transpeople just lost their only access to healthcare and a home and you should absolutely be mad about that

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Went to Health Clinic and they had this cool display up. Just a lot of political cartoons about Aids and comics dedicated to HIV awareness through out the years

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
I can't imagine the head of the joint chiefs of staff is very happy right now considering his pro-LGBT views.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AlexJade posted:

I can't imagine the head of the joint chiefs of staff is very happy right now considering his pro-LGBT views.

Also, it seems to just be Trump tweeting about it. Wouldn't be surprised if the military's leadership decides yeah no this isn't happening.

A couple of my relatives who serve in the military (and calm down, Senju, they serve in parts of the military that put them at zero risk of being told to gun down poor people) assured the rest of our family after the election that orders can't be issued over twitter and the military community was dubious whether Trump would be competent enough to make and carry through any substantial decisions regarding the military.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

did trump give an actual order or did he just tweet something?
are we considering twitter as a medium for issuing government policy now?

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

nobody knows anything for sure yet.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

AriadneThread posted:

So far the only thing has been tweets.

There is a non-zero chance he just kind of forgets to implement this policy but I would not dare to hope. This was pushed by heritage foundation Republicans and they will likely bug him until something happens.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/890350260551340039
https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/890350925403107328

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This could be useful to the military issue. It's from someone who was in during DADT, and all the bullshit that happened when someone got caught up with that: https://twitter.com/SaundraMitchell/status/890219554705735681

In short, even if you're the biggest marxoteen to ever marxoteen and hate the military for being the imperialist war machine, what's going to happen to trans people in the military is going to be ugly. They're going to get Less Than Honorable discharges, which not only fucks up your ability to get any of the services and benefits we expect when someone says they served, and they get a big red mark that every employer sees that might as well say FELON. And because there was already orders in place to support transitioning people, the Trumpies know exactly who to drum out of the service. It would be like repealing DADT and then three months later switching tracks giving general discharges to everyone who came out.

Worst part is this is whiplashy as poo poo, and will get a bunch of backlash from the upper staff. The military is change-averse IME (no service, but 17 years as a DoD civilian), but the thing they are even more than change-averse is chaos-averse. Once you've set a path, you don't change on a whim. It fucks with trying to actually plan 10, 15, 20 years into the future and applies to this and all other large scale policy initiatives.

I also agree that repealing DADT didn't help much with gay acceptance because it happened so late. But integration did wonders for racial equality because it was on the leading edge. Trans acceptance in the military would be more like racial equality because it's on the leading edge instead of trailing behind. Yeah, you get smart-assed comments at the moment, but nothing creates empathy quite like shared struggle. That's half the reason why the bigots are fighting this. If they lose here, full acceptance is pushed left on the timeline, to the point they may have to accept it in their lifetimes.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Trump's base will interpret this as meaning that LGBT people no longer have any civil rights. In practice this interpretation will be functionally correct for a disturbingly large portion of the country.

If you are LGBT you will very shortly only have rights if you have robust local protections and non-bigoted police enforcing said protections. For everyone else its the jungle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

rkajdi posted:

This could be useful to the military issue. It's from someone who was in during DADT, and all the bullshit that happened when someone got caught up with that: https://twitter.com/SaundraMitchell/status/890219554705735681

In short, even if you're the biggest marxoteen to ever marxoteen and hate the military for being the imperialist war machine, what's going to happen to trans people in the military is going to be ugly. They're going to get Less Than Honorable discharges, which not only fucks up your ability to get any of the services and benefits we expect when someone says they served, and they get a big red mark that every employer sees that might as well say FELON. And because there was already orders in place to support transitioning people, the Trumpies know exactly who to drum out of the service. It would be like repealing DADT and then three months later switching tracks giving general discharges to everyone who came out.

Worst part is this is whiplashy as poo poo, and will get a bunch of backlash from the upper staff. The military is change-averse IME (no service, but 17 years as a DoD civilian), but the thing they are even more than change-averse is chaos-averse. Once you've set a path, you don't change on a whim. It fucks with trying to actually plan 10, 15, 20 years into the future and applies to this and all other large scale policy initiatives.

I also agree that repealing DADT didn't help much with gay acceptance because it happened so late. But integration did wonders for racial equality because it was on the leading edge. Trans acceptance in the military would be more like racial equality because it's on the leading edge instead of trailing behind. Yeah, you get smart-assed comments at the moment, but nothing creates empathy quite like shared struggle. That's half the reason why the bigots are fighting this. If they lose here, full acceptance is pushed left on the timeline, to the point they may have to accept it in their lifetimes.

This kind of thing is why I expect that the military will fight the issue. Would hardly be the first time Trump's announced a brave new world and the establishment has hold him to shut up while they get on with the real world.

As I understand it, the military's leadership does not like Trump in general. He's volatile, indecisive, and does not present the kind of clear vision of America's role in the world and how the military will be employed that the military likes to see in civilian leadership.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

its cool to hate the military and all but a lot of transpeople just lost their only access to healthcare and a home and you should absolutely be mad about that

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So what does this mean for trans people currently in active service? The commander in chief just told them that their services are no longer required...do they just all walk out and go home?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

jivjov posted:

So what does this mean for trans people currently in active service? The commander in chief just told them that their services are no longer required...do they just all walk out and go home?

All he's done is fire off some tweets. Nothing official has actually been done to my knowledge.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jivjov posted:

Again, read the tweet listing I had above. If it's like DADT (which is the best case scenario in the current climate), they get drummed out with a less than honorable discharge. So a big red mark for future employment and no access to any of the things that you get from prior service, much less being a veteran. For reference, everyone currently serving is considered as such by the government due to GWOT.

I short, it's ugly as hell and going to screw over a lot of good servicepeople in favor of giving red meat to the Trump voter base. The only hope is that the Joint Chiefs tell him how dumb an idea it is to do that, but good luck to get Trump to listen and if he does listen to not just gently caress with the military out of spite.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fortunately, given that the military is the country's largest employer of trans people, Trump's current press secretary said that this is all Trump tweeting and there's no actual plan in place to remove trans people from the military nor has Trump talked with the Secretary of Defense or other senior military leaders about implementing this.

Fingers crossed the establishment will fight Trump off.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/890277887202537472
https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/890589409329983489
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/890592173019742209
https://twitter.com/waywaw/status/890209815628324864

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/27/politics/trump-military-transgender-ban-joint-chiefs/index.html

US Joint Chiefs blindsided by Trump's transgender ban

How does one get to be so bad at things?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RagnarokAngel posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/27/politics/trump-military-transgender-ban-joint-chiefs/index.html

US Joint Chiefs blindsided by Trump's transgender ban

How does one get to be so bad at things?

By being incompetent and assuming that "I'm the president!" equals "My will be done without question!" Trump wants to be president, not to be the president.

The onset of dementia does not help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Cythereal posted:

The onset of dementia does not help.

I know we say this a lot because goons, etc, but honestly there is something very, very wrong with that man's brain and it's only a matter of time before he has either a total narcissistic meltdown or ends up shooting squirrels out the window with a high-powered rifle because he thinks they're ISIS insurgents

• Locked thread