Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

when i first heard of sectors and governors i thought the downside would be that the ethics system would lead them to be their own mini empires inside yours with their own demands and eventually a possible want for their own country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

when i first heard of sectors and governors i thought the downside would be that the ethics system would lead them to be their own mini empires inside yours with their own demands and eventually a possible want for their own country

Literally what I assumed too. Would be really cool.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I kept my first sectors small because I was afraid of exactly that.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There is literally a mod that does that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

turn off the TV posted:

There are mods to automate building robots, building and upgrading structures, and automate building civilian stations.

turn off the TV posted:

There are also mods that change the sector AI's building decisions, and even mods that can allow sectors to build and employ their own fleets and be represented in your empire's factions.

turn off the TV posted:

There is literally a mod that does that.
If you're trying to be helpful, link or at least name the mods. If you're trying to do something else it also is not working.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Splicer posted:

If you're trying to be helpful, link or at least name the mods. If you're trying to do something else it also is not working.

Just search for them in the Stellaris workshop under the most subscribed mods. The mod to automate building is called automate building or something.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Davincie posted:

Yeah I thought the same. I feel like some of the early dev diaries may have implied this. I guess it's more likely they said something vague and we assumed sectors would be like CK2 vassals (fun) and not like they currently are (functional if we are being generous but certainly not fun).

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Okay, I'm on my PC now so I can actually use the workshop.

Automatic building construction, upgrading and station construction:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691008512

Improved AI and sector AI:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=692253918

Sector Ethics, fleets and factions:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=771132431

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

You can't reasonably expect sectors to be as good as manual management.

Why not though? At least for your basic "make the most out of availible bonuses" there's nothing ultra complex that only a human would be able to do it. It's basic math. The kind of basic math a Civ game does every time you auto-specialize one of your cities.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Something's come up, and I'm not sure who to ask, so I'll ask here.

Is there any reason, any at all, why one would randomly start a game and have only 1 pop to start on your starting planet rather than 5?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bloodly posted:

Is there any reason, any at all, why one would randomly start a game and have only 1 pop to start on your starting planet rather than 5?

Not unless you have some mods loving with things.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Bloodly posted:

I see you went for the bold post wwIII United Federation of Planets start! Rush first contact, the Vulcans are annoying but the event chains totally worth it for the combat science ships.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I feel like the game needs a way to encourage people and AI not to just deathblob their entire fleet. Say a logistics penalty that gives diminishing returns for each extra ship in the sector, or a drastically reduced FTL speed that increases through the course of the game as empires get bigger. Just something that doesn't boil wars down to doomstack vs doomstack, esp earlier in the game.

Other Paradox games have gotten this right in their naval sections so I assume it's possible here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crusader kings looks really boring to me so I hope the game doesn't inherit stuff from it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

DatonKallandor posted:

Why not though? At least for your basic "make the most out of availible bonuses" there's nothing ultra complex that only a human would be able to do it. It's basic math. The kind of basic math a Civ game does every time you auto-specialize one of your cities.

Please google the knapsack problem and have a sensible chuckle at yourself

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Crusader kings looks really boring to me so I hope the game doesn't inherit stuff from it.

This is more a Hearts of Iron thing so no worries.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Stellaris needs more of that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nickiepoo posted:

Stellaris needs more of that.
And of course things like half space elf/half Blorg.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nickiepoo posted:

I feel like the game needs a way to encourage people and AI not to just deathblob their entire fleet. Say a logistics penalty that gives diminishing returns for each extra ship in the sector, or a drastically reduced FTL speed that increases through the course of the game as empires get bigger. Just something that doesn't boil wars down to doomstack vs doomstack, esp earlier in the game.

Other Paradox games have gotten this right in their naval sections so I assume it's possible here.

There's a few mods on the workshop to do things like this, but their major issue is that they don't hook into the AI at all.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

Something similar, but weirder keeps happening to me when I mod new maps: I do basic stuff like more stars and larger nebulas, and half the time my own empire doesn't spawn, or another empire instantly wins. What am I doing wrong here? :confused:

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

OwlFancier posted:

Give me Chancellor loving Gowron and his crazy motherfucking eyes and incomprehensible screaming line delivery!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGRbSaTSdQI&t=31s

He's got a lot of range.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H64l5BsFokM&t=44s

I started as pacifist / egalitarian / xenophile and played as if I was militarist once I got a federation going with neighboring xenophile empires. Midgame turned into waiting for truce timers to expire and then picking a neighbor to dogpile with Liberate war demands. Vassal / integrate, rinse / repeat.

One problem with my promiscuous alliance-building was associate members routinely being at war with each other, with defense pacts kicking off annoying fratricidal wars within the federation. The final war with the last unfederated empire wound up with my 320k doomstack encountering a 450k doomstack belonging to the defense-pacted associate member who therefore was red-while-associated. Battle wasn't going well for me until the Federation starfleet jumped in behind them unexpectedly. I should have sent a story-telling guy to tell this story, it was the highlight of this multi-century game.

The grey empires are vassals of federation members. The 60% victory happened some time ago, now I'm just gardening the universe.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 26, 2017

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
I just got the ceramic pot random encounter, that's just neat. :3:

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Tarantula posted:

I just got the ceramic pot random encounter, that's just neat. :3:

Different ethics have very different reactions to that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't like the idea of robot traits because i already hate playing stellaris, generally

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Larry Parrish posted:

i don't like the idea of robot traits because i already hate playing stellaris, generally

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah I thought the same. I feel like some of the early dev diaries may have implied this. I guess it's more likely they said something vague and we assumed sectors would be like CK2 vassals (fun) and not like they currently are (functional if we are being generous but certainly not fun).

Every time you find a system that is disappointingly simple in practice just assume it'll be really great after an xpac some time in the next 5 years

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Hmm, "human polity". Sounds nice!

BTW how do people feel about galaxy types?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Mukip posted:

Spiral, always.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Quorum posted:

Spiral, always.

Yeah, the others are pretty much trash. There are probably actual galaxies in those other shapes but I just think it's weird to play on a huge blob or a circle.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Mukip posted:

Exclusively spiral, hyperlanes.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'd really love a hyperlanes map that was made up of isolated clusters, creating large spaces of highly interconnected stars with a much smaller number of incredibly long range lanes linking them all together.

E: Well, it turns out that there's a map editor tool that would allow me to basically do exactly this.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 27, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

More map types and methods of navigating them would be a major boon to the game I think, as strategic maneuvering like that is probably one of the most significant parts of combat.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Mukip posted:

Huge, elliptical, any ftl. More threats is more fun

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I can roll with any FTL setup, but I play 100% spirals.

Just gotta mod in a Blitzball arena building and I will be good to go!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm deep into my first game. I'm enjoying myself so far, but it's really disappointing to see Paradox fall into the same checkbox thinking of 4x design that has plagued the genre. The planetary build grid is obviously the worst offender, especially since you can see a vastly better system in Endless Space. Hopefully future updates push the game away from trying to be a Masters of Orion and more towards grand strategy.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Why does tech research not put surplus science into the stockpile, heck why does it consume from the stockpile on the last month when it doesn't need to

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New dev diary on combat balance is out

Missile retargeting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
100 res corvettes are one way to discourage the early game corvette exploration I suppose!

• Locked thread