Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saddle brown is not even a top 3 color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You know whats really strange? People have different tastes. Weird, I know.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My T-Mobile Jump should be at the mid point right now so I'll be swapping my 6S+ for the next big phone. Do you all think it's worth staying on Jump? I don't really have any strong feelings on it so far.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

And the thread comes full circle, again.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kilometers Davis posted:

Do you all think it's worth staying on Jump?
Might as well. Go ahead.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Thermopyle posted:

And some people are just wrong, as we will see when this whole cycle starts anew in about 2 months.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

I Am Crake posted:

Considering I bought this one last friday after my 5s started randomly shutting off and bootlooping, I think I'm set for the next year or two.

Sorry thought i was in the POS, carry on :)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I Am Crake posted:

Guess what's saddle brown, will look amazing after a few months and arrived for my new iPhone 7 today?

Suck it, haters!

Do these cases have much in the way of a lip around them, it's hard to tell from the photo? I swear the lip on my Ringke is what has saved my phone screen from death as it's just about big enough to take the impact of a drop.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Saddle brown is not even a top 3 color.

yeah, it's red, red, and red.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do these cases have much in the way of a lip around them, it's hard to tell from the photo? I swear the lip on my Ringke is what has saved my phone screen from death as it's just about big enough to take the impact of a drop.

My SE case's lip is just big enough to protect it from a drop like that, like you said. I've had a couple iffy drops already and it's been fine; I literally broke my 5C that way so it's always been concerning. Note that the SE has a full lip, while the one in that picture has a cutout at the bottom edge.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 25, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any cases recommended that aren't $40? I like the saddle brown, but can't justify spending $40 plus however much for a screen protector.

Are screen protectors like the ones for Android where you just get the cheapest tempered glass one you find?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are screen protectors like the ones for Android where you just get the cheapest tempered glass one you find?

Yeah, except don't get one at all

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any cases recommended that aren't $40? I like the saddle brown, but can't justify spending $40 plus however much for a screen protector.

Yes if by tempered glass you mean "AppleCare+"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

We need a thread for cases

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah, except don't get one at all

Why? Is it the "push harder for other options" thing? Because I'm getting an SE.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Why? Is it the "push harder for other options" thing? Because I'm getting an SE.

General reasoning is that the phone glass is "good enough" to survive unscathed unless you work in a sandblasting booth.

Additionally, the cost of a screen replacement is low enough that it's not worth the quality of life reduction for fussing with a protector that doesn't have a oleophobic coating.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, any screen protector you get (unless someone is making a sapphire one), is going to be more easily scratched than the gorilla glass (or the like) used on the phone. So a screen protector with a lot of scratches does not mean that it saved your phone from anything.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm just a goon with greasy cheeto fingers that doesn't want to smudge my screen

I should just not say poo poo buttttt a phone without a screen protector will scratch I don't care who you are a screen protector is like $2 but y'all keep fighting the good fight with your dainty fingers and overpriced oily leather cases. I like my matte ones

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My 7+ has some small scratches. Way better than having some lovely-rear end screen protector on it though

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Also, any screen protector you get (unless someone is making a sapphire one), is going to be more easily scratched than the gorilla glass (or the like) used on the phone. So a screen protector with a lot of scratches does not mean that it saved your phone from anything.

I dropped my Moto G4 on our goddamn tile floor within two months of buying it and the screen shattered hardcore. So I'm inclined to go all out on this phone. I also lost my last phone to the same floor. I accidentally knocked it off my desk. The screen started blurring and the microphone stopped working.

I know the case is the main method of protection even for the screen. Maybe I'll get a $3 screen protector and see if I like or hate it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Weedle posted:

My 7+ has some small scratches. Way better than having some lovely-rear end screen protector on it though

Yeah but instead of having scratches on your screen you can simply just replace the protector to go back to brand new for less than $10.

I don't understand the hostility towards glass protectors. I've always got them and installed them asap. Your finger seems to slide better when playing games or scrolling or something. Always nice knowing too that you can simply put the phone face down and it won't be bad for it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It's 29$ to get a new screen through my AppleCare. If I want to min/max speech about resale value I'll just get my goddamn screen swapped before it's up.

Otherwise I just use my drat phone and stop worrying about this crap. Bareback just feels better.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Upgrade every year with your carrier and you don't have to worry about cosmetic damage and can go naked

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The 7+ screen protectors I’ve tried come in two categories
- ones that only barely cover the actual active area of the screen. These work okay but cause a nasty lip which makes edge swipes annoying and make the home button feel weirdly recessed.
- ones which are curved to cover the whole front of the device. These seem to ruin screen sensitivity.

Both types cause a lot of extra glare

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Josh Lyman posted:

Upgrade every year with your carrier and you don't have to worry about cosmetic damage and can go naked

One day when they don't make phones so goddamn slippery I would do just that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

$100 for Apple Care makes sense for a $800 phone, less so for a $200 phone. Setting aside the screen protector, what about cheaper cases that can still take a good spill onto a hard surface?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

rage-saq posted:

One day when they don't make phones so goddamn slippery I would do just that.
Eat your Cheetos with chopsticks you filthy goon

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Josh Lyman posted:

Eat your Cheetos with chopsticks you filthy goon

Suboptimal. I can fit 15 times as many cheetos in a fist at once as I can with chopsticks.
Look at this noob not even knowing how to eat cheetos properly.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Josh Lyman posted:

Depends on how much value your phone retains and whether you actually want to bother with selling it yourself, I suppose.

rage-saq posted:

Suboptimal. I can fit 15 times as many cheetos in a fist at once as I can with chopsticks.
Look at this noob not even knowing how to eat cheetos properly.

If you're eating cheese puffs you can use a skewer.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dont be mean to me posted:

Depends on how much value your phone retains and whether you actually want to bother with selling it yourself, I suppose.
Back when we were able to get phones for $199 every 2 years it made sense to buy then resell ourselves, but not anymore.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

$100 for Apple Care makes sense for a $800 phone, less so for a $200 phone. Setting aside the screen protector, what about cheaper cases that can still take a good spill onto a hard surface?

Any TPU case should be good. Absorbs impact, most will have a lip around the front of the phone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

Any TPU case should be good. Absorbs impact, most will have a lip around the front of the phone.
TPU sticks to the inside of your pockets when you're trying to take out your phone though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
But it doesn't slide out of your pocket when getting out of a car or leaning back on a chair~

content post:

I see why Apple was so hesitant to make the preloaded default apps deleteable. Some way, some how, my dad keeps deleting the apple mail and calendar app, which he needs installed.

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 26, 2017

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
TPU sucks. Whatever they coat those "soft feel" hard plastic cases is ideal grippage.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Guy asked for a cheap case that could take a hard spill. Those thin hard plastic cases won't be as good as any TPU for actually protecting the phone. You also can get TPU ones that aren't very sticky in your pocket (I just got a $7 one like that for an SE but can't recommend it because the power button is hard as hell to press), though they'll stick more than with no case or plastic case.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dev beta 4/public beta 3 of iOS11 is out and adds in swipe to clear notifications and long swipe to clear, which is such a basic feature that I wondered why it was missing from the last beta.

Honestly though, the lack of that was one of the only downsides of the last beta, and now it’s fixed so it’s a non-issue. I haven’t had any springboard crashes and the majority of my apps have been working exactly the same as they do on any GM version.

If you wanna try out this beta, I really don’t have anything bad to say about it except the battery life can suck so keep a charge pack handy/stay near outlets if you can.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I blend my cheetos into a powder and then mix up a mixture of 100g chust (cheeto dust) for every 200g soylent. The key is to mix up hot water at 198 F (make sure it's below 210 F though because then you get a weird bitterness flavor) and mix in the chust first until it dissolves before adding the soylent. If you'd like a more earthy nutty taste you can mix in about a quarter stick of toasted butter and add almond milk to taste.

Anyway this process keeps my phones smudge free from cheeto stains.

e: I've been experimenting with life hacking the insides of my jeans and keys so that they don't scratch up the plastic "remove before use" stickers on my iPhone though if I get anywhere I'll be sure to write a medium post about it.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 26, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Dev beta 4/public beta 3 of iOS11 is out and adds in swipe to clear notifications and long swipe to clear, which is such a basic feature that I wondered why it was missing from the last beta.

Honestly though, the lack of that was one of the only downsides of the last beta, and now it’s fixed so it’s a non-issue. I haven’t had any springboard crashes and the majority of my apps have been working exactly the same as they do on any GM version.

If you wanna try out this beta, I really don’t have anything bad to say about it except the battery life can suck so keep a charge pack handy/stay near outlets if you can.

I didn't have many problems at first with the last beta but after a week I was having frequent freezes, springboard crashes, or just straight up full on crashes which I don't think has happened to me since like iOS 5, or in the previous beta. Who knows though, new one seems okay so far.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm so glad I caught up in the 65 post backlog I had for this thread.

Jet Black Apple Case with tempered glass screen protector for the win.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I just use some Incipio super thin case for my SE because the SE/5S leather case isn't very good. It's fine. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/07/26/new-cochlear-hearing-implant-tech-will-stream-directly-from-iphones-other-apple-devices

Oh goody I am old so I can throw all my garbage Bluetooth headsets into the garbage once this is out on the market

Guess I have to ram my head against the wall three times to reset it if I get a new iPhone. :v: :bang: