Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Does carbon steel turn as black as cast iron when seasoning? I have done 3 rounds of seasoning on my comal and it has turned into a nice shiny dark gold-tinted colour; but I just saw a seasoned Lodge carbon steel skillet, and that thing was just like thin cast iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rgocs posted:

Does carbon steel turn as black as cast iron when seasoning? I have done 3 rounds of seasoning on my comal and it has turned into a nice shiny dark gold-tinted colour; but I just saw a seasoned Lodge carbon steel skillet, and that thing was just like thin cast iron.

Don't worry about the color, it will likely get darker with use. The important thing is whether or not stuff is sticking.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Eventually, maybe weeks or months from now if you cook with it regularly, with fats/oils.

There's no better seasoning than routine cooking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I should add that the dark gold color is also potentially because you put a coat of seasoning on too thick. But as long as it isn't sticky, you'll be ok, you may find however that it starts flaking off with use. If that happens, you probably want to strip and reseason.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I'll keep an eye out for peeling. I have previously gotten a sticky cast iron skillet due to too much oil, this time I paid extra attention in removing excess oil with a paper towel. It doesn't feel sticky so far, I'll do another round tonight and then try it out tomorrow.

Talking about carbon steel. America's Test Kitchen recommends the Matfer Bourgeat black steel skillet, they make it sound like it rivals a non-stick, is this true?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

iirc the major differences between the carbons is final touches on machining around where the handle meets.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Anyone have a `cool, wish I thought of that' storage strategy for delitainers/reditainers? I got the idea to try to use plastic cup/lid dispensers (as in the things that sit next to a soda fountain) but delitainers and their lids are 4.6", which is bigger than standard cup sizes.

Right now I just have 'em stacked out of the way in the pantry which works fine as far as that goes but about once every other week I'll be grabbing one in a hurry and trigger an avalanche of lids.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

SubG posted:

Anyone have a `cool, wish I thought of that' storage strategy for delitainers/reditainers? I got the idea to try to use plastic cup/lid dispensers (as in the things that sit next to a soda fountain) but delitainers and their lids are 4.6", which is bigger than standard cup sizes.

Right now I just have 'em stacked out of the way in the pantry which works fine as far as that goes but about once every other week I'll be grabbing one in a hurry and trigger an avalanche of lids.

As far as the "delitainers" that I get from thai restaurants and reuse, I usually stack the containers to the left and the lids to the right since they are pretty much one-size fits all. OR at least that's what a google search tells me you mean by "delitanier".

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Slimy Hog posted:

As far as the "delitainers" that I get from thai restaurants and reuse, I usually stack the containers to the left and the lids to the right since they are pretty much one-size fits all. OR at least that's what a google search tells me you mean by "delitanier".
Yeah, that's more or less what I'm currently doing, and it's okay if you just have a couple but it's not that great if you've got dozens of the things.

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

I push the lids against a corner in the cupboard so they don't fall over :aaaaa:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What do I want for flipping fish in a nonstick pan? I have some nylon piece of poo poo that's all melted at the tip.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Some silicone pos fish turner. A nonstick should not be hot enough to melt one.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'd say a spatula. Maybe not a metal one.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Use a metal fish turner. There is such a thing as too careful with your non-stick.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A metal fish turner is what you want. And if you’re using it in such a way as to gently caress up your non stick you’re doing it wrong.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I use a nylon one because I'm never going to not think metal utensils are causing some cumulative damage to a nonstick pan.

I'd recommend nylon over silicone because nylon spatulas can be thin whereas every silicone one I've seen was thick. Nylon melts at lower temperatures than silicone but that's an annoyance I'm okay with for being able to separate fish from pan more easily.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I have a Winco Fish Spatula that is awesome and that I use all the time; It is very well designed and works on a lot more than just fish. Should be your first hit if you search "WinCo fish spatula" on Amazon.

E. poo poo, just saw you said non-stick pan. Got nothing for you on that one.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

silicone over a steel frame, don't buy some nylon piece of poo poo

e:
https://www.amazon.com/Oro-Living-Silicone-Heat-Resistant-Flexible/dp/B0160IHI28

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 26, 2017

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Speaking of nonstick anyone got a good rec for a nonstick pan? The weird over large one I bought two years ago has been tearing my eggs and I don't think it's even made anymore.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Calphalon has a set of a 10" and 12" nonstick skillet you can get at Bed Bath & Beyond for $50, $40 if you use one of their 20% off coupons that you get in the mail. Lasted me about 5-6 years

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

The last Cooks Illustrated test I saw recommended the T-Fal pan with the red dot, and mine is still going strong after at least a year. Nice weight, nice handle, very nonstick.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Calphalon has a set of a 10" and 12" nonstick skillet you can get at Bed Bath & Beyond for $50, $40 if you use one of their 20% off coupons that you get in the mail. Lasted me about 5-6 years

These are what I use. They are decent after three years, still very non-stick with just a bit of oil. The nice thing is that these are oven safe and you can but a glass lid for either. I make all sorts of things with that combo

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jay Carney posted:

Speaking of nonstick anyone got a good rec for a nonstick pan? The weird over large one I bought two years ago has been tearing my eggs and I don't think it's even made anymore.

If you buy decent ones, they'll last ~5 years but if your'e cooking with them all the time just expect to replace them around then.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just threw out my all clad nonstick and replaced it with this $22 Tramontina. Works just as well. For the kind of stuff where non-stick is important, a pan with a heavy bottom is less important, at least to me. This one seems every bit as good as the All Clad which had finally worn out.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HBKPD0/

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Yup, Tramontina Professional for my non-stick usage.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

you ate my cat posted:

The last Cooks Illustrated test I saw recommended the T-Fal pan with the red dot, and mine is still going strong after at least a year. Nice weight, nice handle, very nonstick.

I used the t-fal pros for years and they hold up well. My only issues with them are that the handles come loose frequently enough that I felt I was always tightening them and that they have a small rise in the middle of the pan. Honestly I only ever notice the rise when making omelettes.

That said CI got frustrated enough with the rise that they switched their recommendation to OXO goodgrips non-stick. I bought one about a month ago when my last 12" t-fal wore out. Seems pretty good so far, nice and flat.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Murgos posted:

Honestly I only ever notice the rise when making omelettes.

I think that's a quiche

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Red-dot pans work surprisingly well and I enjoy using mine, so I endorse them.

re: spatulas of size and thickness, ya'll ever thought about...using...TWO of them? One to brace the fish on one side so the other can work its way under on the other? Saves on chances of burning as you fiddle with them or loving around with the thicker ones messing with the fish too much...:catdrugs: just sayin.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

If you buy decent ones, they'll last ~5 years but if your'e cooking with them all the time just expect to replace them around then.

Mrs Mango and I received some Calphalon nonstick when we got married. Seventeen years ago. Still fine, no issues, the surface is great on them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is the meat grinder for the KitchenAid Pro 600 any good? Looking at it on Amazon, it says it's made of plastic, which makes me weary.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
How useful is a food processor anyway,. it seems it'll be useful for making pie dough, something I have issues with getting right tbh. But I've never owned one and I don't like having loads of crap I don't use.

Stand mixers have got to be the worst. I got like one stand blender years ago, then I got an attachment for my kenwood dough mixer/assistant, then I was gifted one for Christmas, then my SO bought one for some reason. And now the kenwood processor I am looking at (FPM125) comes with a blender too. I hardly ever use a blender, the one blender I do use is an immersion stick blender and it's broken :(

As for frying pans, I want to throw out everyone but the cast iron ones (SO bought soem cerafit pans, they suck, and we got one country fry pan we got as a gift) and replace them with carbon steel pans.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 28, 2017

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is the meat grinder for the KitchenAid Pro 600 any good? Looking at it on Amazon, it says it's made of plastic, which makes me weary.

It works just fine. The sausage stuffer sucks though. Buy a piston sausage stuffer if you want to make sausage.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

How useful is a food processor anyway,. it seems it'll be useful for making pie dough, something I have issues with getting right tbh. But I've never owned one and I don't like having loads of crap I don't use.

Stand mixers have got to be the worst. I got like one stand blender years ago, then I got an attachment for my kenwood dough mixer/assistant, then I was gifted one for Christmas, then my SO bought one for some reason. And now the kenwood processor I am looking at (FPM125) comes with a blender too. I hardly ever use a blender, the one blender I do use is an immersion stick blender and it's broken :(

I use mine mostly for shredding cabbage and cheese, when I need a lot of that sort of thing, and making curry paste.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Food processors are great for making stuff like hummus, pates, etc. Also good for emulsified sausages, or coarse grinds.

Stand mixers are great, so idk what you're on about there. Unless you mean blenders? But then that comes to buying a good brand like Vitamix or Blendtec, or even the cheaper Ninja or a Breville.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Language barrier got in the way, yes I meant blender. I love my kenwood major stand mixer.

I got OK brand blenders I think, I mean they all work and do their jobs, but I never use them... I just have not found much use for them aside from making stuff like milkshakes or other shakes. I think I shy away from using them if I can get away with it due to cleanup. So they turn into lumps taking up shelf space.

Not sure the same wouldn't be true for a food processor... But every time I make pie (not that often granted) I wish I had one. I just need to convince myself it won't be another forgotten gadget.

I should probably give away one of the blenders I got.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 28, 2017

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

I only use it a few times a year, but it works just fine, and is none the worse for wear with that kind of usage, anyway.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Some plastics these days are stronger than cast aluminium, so don't let that put you off unless you know what sort of plastic they are using.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

theres's a better stainless steel one if you'll be using it a lot more for an extra 40 or so iirc.

smokehouse chef?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

theres's a better stainless steel one if you'll be using it a lot more for an extra 40 or so iirc.

smokehouse chef?

Yeah, I can vouch for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
All this wok talk made me decide it's time to get a jet burner. Does the Bayou SP1's valve let you make a little tiny flame in case 185,000 btu is too strong?