Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

El Pollo Blanco posted:

It's quite interesting how almost every 'rational, totally not Trump supporter' comment I'm seeing about Trump's transgender ban tweets includes the phrase "the military isn't a social experiment". How the gently caress do these people get their talking points so fast?

Haha, it turns out it's a thing Mike Huckabee said two years ago.

They used the same justification for racial segregation in the military (long after it had officially ended).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Oh right, Pence is also against Mulans in the military.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Eric Cantor took some time off from board meetings to admit that he feels responsible for the party catching the car:
https://twitter.com/costareports/status/890237678624616450
(note: not actually a Costa piece, he just linked it)

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/889972624599785472

More unnecessary indications Skinny repeal is only a ploy to get a bill out of the Senate.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mike Pence would probably make the military's anthem "I'll Make a Man Out of You" if given half a chance.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I try to be skeptical of the Hall Pass theory but with Heller folding too, I am definitely getting the vibe that 51-50 is coming together for Skinny Repeal. I mean it's kicking the can a couple inches more down the road so of course that's what's happening.

Vahakyla posted:

McCain's FB post ten minutes ago:

Pass a law, motherfucker.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bicyclops posted:

Mike Pence would probably make the military's anthem "I'll Make a Man Out of You" if given half a chance.

Isn't that like a trans anthem? Probably should be

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ague Proof posted:

Oh right, Pence is also against Mulans in the military.

The Ballad of Mulan was written in the 6th century...

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Isn't that like a trans anthem? Probably should be

Things we want

1. Social acceptance
2. Medical care
3. To defeat the Huns

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

They used the same justification for racial segregation in the military (long after it had officially ended).

Don't forget they've used it to justify banning gay couples from adopting. It's a slightly less blatant way of just saying "change is very scary."

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

So Trump is obscuring his concentrated effort of cracking the whip on the GOP's task to repeal healthcare, and GOP is responding in bewilderment to Trump and continuing to scoot the bill forward? Ah yeah. That old tactic.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Of course

https://twitter.com/MorganABC11/status/890219587568119809

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The Ballad of Mulan was written in the 6th century...

Things we want

1. Social acceptance
2. Medical care
3. To defeat the Huns

:lol:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Vahakyla posted:

McCain's FB post ten minutes ago:

"Yet I'll still continue to vote for poo poo he and my corporate masters want because Party over country, always. I regret that I have but one life to give for the billionaires."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I reject the idea that Trump's morning Tweetstorms are an intentional distraction from Congress's abhorrent legislative agenda, or even that they serve to distract. People can, at once, be waiting with baited breath to see if begging people from Alaska and Maine is going to be enough to save healthcare from a death spiral and also baffling at the fact that the President appears to believe he enacted a major, bigoted policy change via Twitter, without addressing any of the people who would enforce said policy change and without directive on how to enforce it. Even the petty celebrity feuds don't exactly absorb news coverage of the bickering children arguing over how to destroy the lives of poor people.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just really want to know if Fox & Friends talked about trans people in the military this morning.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm not in the military, but it seems like someone getting in and then immediately spending a quarter of their time in the hospital is not something that they would just let go. At the very least they would extend your contract I would think.

Nope, they won't extend your contract. Also to be clear, this is the exact same thing grunts bitch about when serving with women too. Some women get pregnant and can't deploy. Occasionally you even get a real dirtbag who intentionally tries to time their pregnancies. It's not a massive issue but enlisted gotta bitch, it's what we do best. Don't take it too seriously.

Also, you know a great solution to this? Stop deploying them constantly for ~16 loving years.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Well you see Chelsea Manning is transgender and she is a war criminal therefore

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Things we want

1. Social acceptance
2. Medical care
3. To defeat the Huns

:ocelot:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Nope, they won't extend your contract. Also to be clear, this is the exact same thing grunts bitch about when serving with women too. Some women get pregnant and can't deploy. Occasionally you even get a real dirtbag who intentionally tries to time their pregnancies. It's not a massive issue but enlisted gotta bitch, it's what we do best. Don't take it too seriously.

Also, you know a great solution to this? Stop deploying them constantly for ~16 loving years.

Thanks for the perspective. The people who are pregnant or undergoing HRT can still work in non-combat roles, no?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The military as a whole going "Order? What order? Just a citizen exercising their 1st amendment rights on Twitter" is probably for the best.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/BaldazoJesse/status/890239656205451264

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Paul Zuvella posted:

Well you see Chelsea Manning is transgender and she is a war criminal therefore

Transgenders can't be trusted with a Security Clearance.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
1130 repeal vote delayed til 330.
Continuing to work through the 20 hours of debate.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/889972624599785472

More unnecessary indications Skinny repeal is only a ploy to get a bill out of the Senate.

Gah. This is what I was afraid of - Yertle somehow manages to cobble together something that can lurch onward. I hope we don't wind up having to depend on the loons in the House again.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Thanks for the perspective. The people who are pregnant or undergoing HRT can still work in non-combat roles, no?

Haha, "can" is a nice way to put it. Absolutely required is a little closer. If you're not in a hospital bed they'll find work for you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

loving senators, apparently all it takes to get their vote is just not even get their pet amendment in, just get their amendment on the floor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

farraday posted:

1130 repeal vote delayed til 330.
Continuing to work through the 20 hours of debate.

By the end of this, every American is going to need healthcare coverage for an rear end massage for being kept on the edge of their seats about whether their healthcare would be demolished for months.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah I don't get it. I know nothing about how the military functions in reality, but I've known my fair share of people who "owed time" to the military in one way or another (ROTC for example). I would have assumed that if you opted for elective procedures like HRT or getting pregnant, that they would absolutely find another job for you that would be suitable. Like I'm sure there's a poo poo ton of paper pushing that needs to be done isn't there?

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/samthielman/status/890239453494738945

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
DONALD TRUMP'S TWO BIG SOLUTIONS

- marginalize and torture transgender, because that community knows where all the coal jobs are, and are refusing to tell us

- dick pulls for everyone, every medical treatment is just dick pills now

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah I don't get it. I know nothing about how the military functions in reality, but I've known my fair share of people who "owed time" to the military in one way or another (ROTC for example). I would have assumed that if you opted for elective procedures like HRT or getting pregnant, that they would absolutely find another job for you that would be suitable. Like I'm sure there's a poo poo ton of paper pushing that needs to be done isn't there?

yeah this is basically all of the work in the military

actually carrying a rifle is a small fraction of what military personnel does

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Always the best self-own.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What is chance he did not tell Rex he was going to tweet/do this?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Benny, ctrl+shift+N Benny geez Benny

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AsInHowe posted:

- dick pulls for everyone
You might want to edit this. ;)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

100% he told no one he was doing this and decided on the spot when he woke up.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

He doesn't tell Rex State Department poo poo why in the world would

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AsInHowe posted:

Always the best self-own.

I'm guessing no one told him how they tailor those ads to their audience.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Aves Maria! posted:

i hope the cancer takes him

and Trump too

That's a really awful thing to wish on cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

IDGI

• Locked thread