Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That's shifting the goal posts. "Well I could have been right"

Sure. It wasn't my intention to deny anyone a touchdown dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

fallenturtle posted:

I can see that... but I guess I would draw the distinction in regards to him being an anti-Semite based on whether the jokes were making fun Jewishness vs their treatment.

Personally, for me, it is who the joke is truly on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Midig posted:

This is certainly part of it. I think one of the problems with the joke we're talking about is PDP's lack of acknowledgment that what he did was potentially harmful. A joke in which people hold up a sign advocating violence against Jews, with no indication on that sign or anywhere in the environment that it is a joke, no way to intuit from the context that the person doesn't actually mean it or who the joke is actually on, is not funny and is functionally indistinguishable from doing the same thing sincerely. Had PDP acknowledged that, apologized for that, and done better in the future, we would not be having this conversation now. But he didn't. He gave the usual "I'm sorry people were offended" apology and went on to muse about how sensitive people are these days. That shows that he either fundamentally doesn't understand that "death to all Jews" is hateful, or he doesn't care.

It's similar to the kind of person who gets angry that black people get to say the n-word but white people can't. Obviously not a one-to-one comparison, but both still reveal subconscious biases and a disregard for a certain group of people's history, feelings, and acceptance in society.

That's my point. I don't think anyone is arguing that PDP unironically thinks Jews should be killed. It's that he thinks it's funny to make other people say that as a joke, and hasn't acknowledged that it isn't.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

So long as it's on a minority and never a white dude you don't have a problem with it, we know.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

So long as it's on a minority and never a white dude you don't have a problem with it, we know.

So you actually think the joke is on the jews and not Fiverr in this case?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

So you actually think the joke is on the jews and not Fiverr in this case?

I know it's both.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fallenturtle posted:

If he made a joke about rape, people would accuse him of being pro-rape.

Funny you should mention that.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

OwlFancier posted:

Funny you should mention that.

Yea, I've seen those videos since I made that post.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly I think PDP is a millionaire prick who's not worth defending, racist or no.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's very silly to treat words like "racist" as an identity rather than a descriptor, I'm afraid you don't get to say you aren't just because you don't like the idea of it, it's what you do, regardless of whether you like the sound of it.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

It's very silly to treat words like "racist" as an identity rather than a descriptor, I'm afraid you don't get to say you aren't just because you don't like the idea of it, it's what you do, regardless of whether you like the sound of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zNnq7kHMI

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

the abyss posted:

id just like to remind Thread that this is the hill we are all dying on

this is the huge idiot screech baby that got mad when ~*the media*~ called him out on a terrible, anti-semitic joke

this will be our new ruler when the youtubers take over politics

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I agree, PDP is terrible, so poo poo on it all you want. But that doesn't make PDP any less relevant and impactful to the teen/young adult demographic. He's popular, so his actions and beliefs carry influence far beyond the reach of the average person.

If 'quality of content' determined the worth of its discussion in this thread, I'm pretty sure Sargon would never have been mentioned.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JVNO posted:

I agree, PDP is terrible, so poo poo on it all you want. But that doesn't make PDP any less relevant and impactful to the teen/young adult demographic. He's popular, so his actions and beliefs carry influence far beyond the reach of the average person.

Yes, this is why I hate him above all others. He's poisoning kids that aren't even looking for this stuff, they just want to watch a funny video games player, he actually has a responsibility to his audience.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

"Uh...poo poo, this guy's actually doing Nazi poo poo a lot...uh..uh... HE'S JUST BEING EDGY, I'M SICK OF DEFENDING HIM."

Well, I think he's right in the sense that Pewdiepie probably isn't a literal Nazi and probably doesn't believe Jews should be put to death or whatever. It seems like standard "privileged white person saying stuff that is hurtful and not realizing why it might hurt other people" and then doubling down due to a fragile ego after being called out on it. But that's a separate issue from whether people who make jokes like this should be censured, which they should. Even in the "worst" case that the person isn't ideologically a bigot, they just end up realizing that the joke they made is considered unacceptable by society. It's not like we're talking about throwing people in prison for this stuff.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Ytlaya posted:

people who make jokes like this should be censured

Note to anyone about to lay down a righteous stroke on Ytlaya in the name of the free speech jihad, censured =/= censored:

censure
ˈsɛnʃə
verb
express severe disapproval of (someone or something), especially in a formal statement.
"the company was heavily censured by inspectors from the Department of Trade"

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Kjoery posted:

id just like to remind Thread that this is the hill we are all dying on

this is the huge idiot screech baby that got mad when ~*the media*~ called him out on a terrible, anti-semitic joke

this will be our new ruler when the youtubers take over politics

Yeah please can we have a moratorium on this guy.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
He is an annoying video games man but is not delving into "deep thoughts" like JonTron and his ilk have. More terrible opinion videos to mock and less think pieces on a terrible anti-semitic "joke" that fell flat because of a huge misunderstanding of what humor actually is as well as the audience it reached.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZiXaHBm5EI

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Midig posted:

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zNnq7kHMI

Alternatively:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJe6-afGz0Q

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

He is an annoying video games man but is not delving into "deep thoughts" like JonTron and his ilk have. More terrible opinion videos to mock and less think pieces on a terrible anti-semitic "joke" that fell flat because of a huge misunderstanding of what humor actually is as well as the audience it reached.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZiXaHBm5EI

I'm pretty sure the built-in mic on my laptop would give better audio quality than that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Midig posted:

Still rings true with this anecdote. He is incredibly dumb, not malicious.

At what point is there cross-over?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

fallenturtle posted:

Yea, I've seen those videos since I made that post.

are you ever gonna give us your definition of racism or continue being a coward from your parachute account

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Zikan posted:

are you ever gonna give us your definition of racism or continue being a coward from your parachute account

Didn't he do the same thing before? People asked him for his definition of racism and he just got whiny and said that he didn't feel like his definition would be considered honestly, given the bias against him in the thread. At this point, the only thing we should be doing is asking him for his definition and waiting for whatever twisted poo poo eventually emerges like the things in The Enigma of Amigara Fault.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Zikan posted:

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Didn't he do the same thing before? People asked him for his definition of racism and he just got whiny and said that he didn't feel like his definition would be considered honestly, given the bias against him in the thread. At this point, the only thing we should be doing is asking him for his definition and waiting for whatever twisted poo poo eventually emerges like the things in The Enigma of Amigara Fault.

I think y'all have me confused with someone else. This is my only SA account.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Punished turtle would have been funnier but I don't think that game was being teased yet

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Punished turtle would have been funnier but I don't think that game was being teased yet

What game?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
good article on zoe quinn and how much she was constantly berated by weird internet freakshows, including a pretty lolworthy first comment that's basically "what this biased article doesn't tell you is that zoe quinn is a horrible human being :rant:"

http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/07/zoe-quinn-surviving-gamergate.html

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

boner confessor posted:

good article on zoe quinn and how much she was constantly berated by weird internet freakshows, including a pretty lolworthy first comment that's basically "what this biased article doesn't tell you is that zoe quinn is a horrible human being :rant:"

http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/07/zoe-quinn-surviving-gamergate.html

"anime curves"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I respect your adherence to the born yesterday gimmick

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I respect your adherence to the born yesterday gimmick

Seriously, I have no loving clue what you're talking about. Until I started posting in this thread recently I hadn't been active on SA for years. Is this related to you thinking I'm someone else?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fallenturtle posted:

Seriously, I have no loving clue what you're talking about. Until I started posting in this thread recently I hadn't been active on SA for years. Is this related to you thinking I'm someone else?

So you heard someone called PewDiePie a racist and you just had to come out of retirement to drop the steaming hot take that racism can be hilarious sometimes? Right.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Who What Now posted:

So you heard someone called PewDiePie a racist and you just had to come out of retirement to drop the steaming hot take that racism can be hilarious sometimes? Right.

It takes about 3 mouse clicks to figure out that I started posting in this thread a couple of weeks before I made a comment about PewDiePie.

Why the gently caress are still flaming me? Because I think humor that makes fun of racist stereotypes and mocks racism can be funny?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

fallenturtle posted:

Because I think humor that makes fun of racist stereotypes and mocks racism can be funny?

No it's because you can't tell the difference between that and racist jokes Pitts.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I mean, has anyone seen the guy with the turtle name and the guy with the turtle avatar posting the same poo poo in the same room? How can we be sure?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that fallenturtle probably isn't another poster playing a 14-year long con in order to trick us into objecting to racism again.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Rumda posted:

No it's because you can't tell the difference between that and racist jokes Pitts.

I can't? Prove it.

Is Pitts who you think I am?

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I mean, has anyone seen the guy with the turtle name and the guy with the turtle avatar posting the same poo poo in the same room? How can we be sure?

:iiam:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
holy poo poo this other guy is so clearly not a parachute come on

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

boner confessor posted:

holy poo poo this other guy is so clearly not a parachute come on

Agreed, he's dumb in completely new and uninteresting ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Agreed, he's dumb in completely new and uninteresting ways.

Dude, what the gently caress did I say to you to deserve your ire?

• Locked thread