Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Beet Wagon posted:

Come on now, let's not get into ridiculous conspiracy theories...

Thread good again. :kayak:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Combat Theory posted:

Oh is this about the juicero?

The thing is legendary. I wrote an engineering case study about it in a class for value management, explaining how complete lack of budged concerns can not only lead to horribly overpriced products that have to be sold at a loss but also often are so unnecessary complex that they become very vulnerable to errors, failures and the like.

The juicero is probably the king of this. It's a 2000 dollar machine sold at a loss of 1600 dollars and all it does is squeezing 5 dollar juice packs (that's hardly a single glass of juice by the way)

The thing had WiFi, a camera, IOT and all that bogus stuff. When it came out that the software security was laughable and that you could basically spy out people's homes over the build in camera, customers tried to tape the camera opening which lead to the whole thing refusing to work. It's a great piece of technological nightmares really and a perfect example why a lack of project limitations is not a thing one should celebrate.

Here's a teardown of it by the way.

https://youtu.be/_Cp-BGQfpHQ

I loving love Ave and people should watch all of his vidjaeos.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/889406705917980672
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/889441704440471553

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

i'm about to steal some goon valor

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Hav posted:

The machine itself is mildly over-engineered, but the kicker is that the machine supplies finger pressure, just a lot more consistently, to the pack. It's part of the move towards printer-inkifying foodstuffs that creates a 'subscription' relationship with the consumer.

The other bits about the internet of poo poo are pretty much common now. I embrace this technology and run an outbound firewall because most of the projects are produced with a very light concept of security or what uses you can put a device to. The camera on the device was for the barcodes, though.

I just think it's loving hilarious that they came up with a $400 single use machine that takes a consumable where it's not actually necessary to have the machine in the first place. Like Product development 101.

That Yves Behar was connected to it just makes it all the funnier.

The entire shooting crew of my latest film all received one of these things for the wrap gift as one of our cast had connections and had promoted the company. They were distributed at the wrap party, and most people fell into one of two camps - either they didn't want to bother hauling a 40 pound box + juice packs home for something they'd never use OR people who decided to take the extra ones home and ended up loading up to sell them on Craigslist either.

I think out of the 400+ distributed, I know of maybe a half dozen that are still actively in use, even among what could be considered a prime target demographic for the damned thing.

Kayak mod best mod, Dr. Smart might deliver when Crobberts does, & Star Citizen p. good. One of these is not like the other.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

i'm about to steal some goon valor

It is the way of things. Go forth, dear goon, and reap a bountiful harvest.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

Surprising noone; that's actually a thing

http://twitter.com/iq_derek

Wow, those dudes have a really flattering impression of you.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 26, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I juice fruit with my teeth, and dispose of the pulp with my digestive tract.

It's just a thing I do.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

link you're kickstarter

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

big nipples big life posted:

link you're kickstarter

It involves a $40 weekly subscription, and an IoT web camera.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Cymelion is more reasonable than MoMA now.

:laffo:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Some great comments:

quote:

how long does it take for these guys to reply to a ticket .... these guys stole money form me now they wont answer..

quote:

Hopefully they reply and refund you the cost of the game a day before 3.0 is released, then you'll be kicking yourself!

quote:

I will tell you upon release as my Wallet is preventing a purchase until tangible results demonstrated through a full release.

quote:

Argo. For slow and repetitive cargo transfer between large ships even This would be better than waiting as long as I have for the game lol

quote:

Freelancer cockpit visibility is so awful I upgraded to an Andromeda, just to find those struts in the middle of the screen

quote:

The release date cargo ship. I'd fill it with empty promises.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

thatguy posted:

Cymelion is more reasonable than MoMA now.

:laffo:

Is he, though?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

It's a remnant of hunting trips when I was a kid, but after years of trying to be a "coffee snob" I realized that for me nothing tastes better than dirt cheap pre-ground stuff filtered through an old sock. Which is fine by me, cause the habit is way cheaper that way haha.

My hometown is next to a coffee-production area (not the best one, decent enough) so, since I was a child (because around there all children drink their coffee!) I got used to good pot-brewed coffee which was not only cheap as hell but really simple to make. No filters, no nothing, just coffee, water and a dented pot that was older than my mom. Like, coffee is good poo poo but it's not rocket science. Many starbucks and the like have tried to open shop there and failed, because why spend ten times as much for your coffee in an area where regular coffee is tasty and people don't have elaborate rituals for it.

So nowadays I just buy whatever is not the cheapest of the cheap and use one of those aeropress things because it makes the proper amount for me.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is he, though?
MoMA is pretty broke-brained at this point. I don't even bother reading his posts when he pops in every now and then. Cymelion used to be even more of a zealot than Tark and for him to say that SC will have any faults at all is a pretty shocking turn of events in my opinion. Whoever the Goons responding to him are though you need to tell him to - knock - this - poo poo - off.

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

Come on now, let's not get into ridiculous conspiracy theories...

So, why are we posting photos of Brian Chambers?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Toblakai posted:

That's very mean. To both of them. :colbert:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Latin Pheonix posted:

These people are sick and need help.

That's an excerpt from stimpire.txt, right?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

thatguy posted:

MoMA is pretty broke-brained at this point. I don't even bother reading his posts when he pops in every now and then. Cymelion used to be even more of a zealot than Tark and for him to say that SC will have any faults at all is a pretty shocking turn of events in my opinion. Whoever the Goons responding to him are though you need to tell him to - knock - this - poo poo - off.

I want to see how far he can take it.

The first step to enlightenment is admitting that PC exclusive != good.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
This post is funny.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Toblakai posted:

:thurman:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

7pm CEST is now, and I'd try to check out his stream, but he has no understanding of linking his stream page, or providing any information whatsoever about anything.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

What's the rationale behind them having an NDA to begin with, by the way?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

Corporate Espionage

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Tippis posted:

I can't think of any better than SHUT UP GOON.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Corporate Espionage

Beeeeeeer!!! :arghfist::arghfist::arghfist::argh:

Look what you made CIG do, you evil person!

It was beer, right? I'm so confused…

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tippis posted:

It's the most open development ever so of course they aren't going to tell you stuff.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Tippis posted:

Why should people know stuff about alpha development when they paid for alpha access? Are you insane?

Imo there should be many layers of evocatis. Only by paying monthly you should be uptodate.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Tippis posted:

Evocati started out as a way to make feel whales, hm, I mean testers feel special. Whales feel more invested as a result and then they spend more money. Theres no way they get actual good data out of it. When you expand to a test group hundreds strong you generally have a somewhat stable product and need to nail down rare bugs. The Evocati releases are generally "crash to desktop if you do anything" and so bug ridden that its impossible to isolate anything. Its a pointless exercise game development wise.

NDAs give them the sales boost of "PROGRESS" being made without the attendant "this sucks" for several more weeks.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Tippis posted:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Tippis posted:

Due to the nature of open development, they have to keep everything behind closed doors.

:)

gently caress, beaten by the silent one. :lol:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

In the absence of :gigacawg: I have to settle for :cawg:

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Toblakai posted:

Because Brian Chambers was a good boy so he gets a treat and a brushies

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Because its open we have to hide poo poo.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I want to see how far he can take it.

The first step to enlightenment is admitting that PC exclusive != good.

I intend to go all the way. See, 'thatguy' thinks I'm 'brokebrained' but I'm just realizing that anything said about CIG in a positive light is simply refuted on the overall foundation of bias, plus mock senses of altruism, business acumen, etc. Lot's of arm-chairing going on all over here and reddit.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BOOTCHA!! WERE IS OUR 25 PAGES OF STUFF?!?!?!