Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

reignofevil posted:

Have you been linking stockpiles to your craft shops? In my (limited) experience a lot of the time the biggest issue is that materials are being stored in the library but aren't finished to write on and they can only be finished by a craftshop that wasn't assigned specific stockpiles (since the shop then ONLY looks at those piles)

I'm remembering from like a year and a half ago tho

I haven't messed with books in awhile. guess I could try it again. that was the advice last time too. I always have supplies, scholars, scribes, etc... they just never do poo poo. they don't even copy existing books. i thought I double-checked the linked stockpiles but maybe I didn't.

Me, from November 2016 posted:

What's the secret to scribes and scholars? I have a library and quire for them, but all they do is drink, socialize, and have No Job.

lazy fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pink flag
May 16, 2009
Shout out to the elves because they traded me a Giant Lion for a bunch of rock salt figurines

I hope the next update comes sooner rather than later. The trap component bug just made my current fort unplayable because I stupidly saved in the middle of a goblin siege.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Also scrolls are WAY easier than books to get set up. Books you make the paper and sew the quires and they go to the library to be written on and once they're written they go back out to get the cover put on and that's the step that tends to get weird if you have stockpile fuckery going on.

Another thing is dwarves tend to spend way too much time at the goddamn tavern if you have one, so it's possible that everything on the materials end is fine, they're just spending all day drinking themselves to death and fighting.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Put a library in your tavern then.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

TheHoosier posted:

What's the secret to scribes and scholars? I have a library and quire for them, but all they do is drink, socialize, and have No Job.

That sounds like scholars, sure enough.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hailthefish posted:

they're just spending all day drinking themselves to death and fighting.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheHoosier posted:

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's scary how closely this game can mimic real life sometimes.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Art imitates life.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I resorted to making my library a burrow, putting drink and food stockpiles and a dormitory in it, and restricting all my scholars to it. They still aren't writing, but at least they're doing scholar stuff instead of dicking around in the tavern all day every day :cheers:

moot4king
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
Interesting choice of leader

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

moot4king posted:

Quite common for Goblin civs, actually.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

moot4king posted:

Sounds like the name The Outrageous Maxis lost the vote.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Isn't that the bad end from Emperor's New Groove?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

monolithburger posted:

Sounds like the name The Outrageous Maxis lost the vote.

goddamn i haven't heard a Maxis llama joke since SimAnt was new and exciting

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So in my latest fortress I'm not getting the outpost liaison showing up. My civ isn't extinct, it has plenty of sites and there's no shortage of migrants, but this is the second caravan and still no liaison. This is proving something of a pain in the rear end as this is a really interesting map but seems to lack weapon grade metal apart from silver. I'm planning on relying on traps with glass components for now, but is there any chance a liaison will eventually arrive?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Double check your location on the embark screen. Do you have neighbor access to dwarves?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Zesty posted:

Double check your location on the embark screen. Do you have neighbor access to dwarves?

Afaik your dwarven civ always has access regardless of any obstructions.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's not true.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
If your dwarven civ doesn't have access to the site, how did you settle there in the first place?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

If your dwarven civ doesn't have access to the site, how did you settle there in the first place?

very carefully

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Literally Kermit posted:

They load your dwarves and the wagon into a big catapult.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Zesty posted:

I'm sure I had neighbour access to dwarves, humans elves and goblins. Plus the caravans and migrants arrive fine, just there's no liaison accompanying them. Is there. Under the civs screen my civ has a liaison listed, could he be stuck somewhere somehow? Can I use legends viewer or something to track him down and see what he's up to?

Also I seem to have a whole lot of aquifers in non sedimentary layers, what's up with that?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

Also I seem to have a whole lot of aquifers in non sedimentary layers, what's up with that?

I am not a geologist but I bet you it's because that's where groundwater forms the most in real life.

Just turn 'em off. There's no middle ground between aquifers being a huge ordeal the first time you try to figure them out, and then just a mild nuisance once you've got it down.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah sure it's just the wiki strongly implies they would only be found in sedimentary layers. I think I'll just use DF hack to get rid of the ones I don't want, I don't care about most of them but some of them are in the middle of my grand hall and digging out a large area of aquifer seems like it would be a major pain in the dick.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I'm getting the feeling that by "sedimentary layers" you mean just sand and dirt and by "non-sedimentary" you mean certain sediment rocks like the sandstone family

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

scamtank posted:

I'm getting the feeling that by "sedimentary layers" you mean just sand and dirt and by "non-sedimentary" you mean certain sediment rocks like the sandstone family

I may be no geologist either but I do at least know what sedimentary stone is. According to the wiki:

dfwiki posted:

Layers which can contain aquifers:
sandy clay loam
silty clay loam
loam
sandy loam
silt loam
loamy sand
silt
sand
yellow sand
white sand
black sand
red sand
peat
pelagic clay
calcareous ooze
siliceous ooze
sandstone
conglomerate
puddingstone

Layers which can't contain aquifers, despite their names suggesting otherwise:
clay
silty clay
sandy clay
clay loam
siltstone
mudstone

All that list looks pretty sedimentary to me.

I've got them showing up in gabbro and granite and quartzite, although the last two might be something to do with them being behind a waterfall, I don't know.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, that explains things. There's less than zero percent possibility of your gabbroes and granites and poo poo harboring aquifers, tiles can be moist for other, less dangerous reasons too. Like being directly beneath a pond.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
the damp gabbro I found is deep underground though, but I suppose it's possible there's a cavern with a pond on the level above.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Is it possible to have a glass roof with water running over it but still get sunlight? How far will sunlight penetrate through glass anyway?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

No and not at all.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'm looking forward to light sim being improved and being able to build giant crystal greenhouses and let my dwarves get sunlight adapted in a nice covered statue garden. This will definitely happen within the next fifteen years.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought once a tile was sunlit it would always be sunlit, so you could build a roof over it afterwards and run water and it would technically work?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

I thought once a tile was sunlit it would always be sunlit, so you could build a roof over it afterwards and run water and it would technically work?

Light and "outsideness" are handled differently; I think what you're describing works for the latter but not the former.

Not sure though, I usually just let cave adaptation run its course.

e: Wait, no, looks like you were right: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tile_attributes

quote:

Currently these two attributes are determined in exactly the same way. Once an area is exposed to the outside world, it is Above Ground and Light (and thus channeling this tile will make the tile below it also Above Ground and Light). Even after being covered up again, it will remain this way. This allows growing outdoor crops inside safely.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Once the accursed sun touches a tile it will remain there forever.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Literally Kermit posted:

You can settle anywhere that's not 100% ocean. But your civ can't reach islands, I believe.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
I'm pretty sure sure the two tile properties are inside/outside and light-above ground/dark-subterranean, respectively. The former is determined by whether or not there's some kind of roof above the tile and can be freely changed by building and removing roofs, the second can only be altered in one direction, with any tile that becomes light-above ground staying that way forever, even if you later build twenty layers of slade flooring over it.

The actual effects of these properties are primarily related to crops and cave adaptation; any dark-subterranean tile will allow you to grow cave crops, any light-above ground tile only offers surface crops; cave adaptation will increase in tiles which are inside/dark subterranean, stay the same in tiles which are inside/light-above ground and decrease only in tiles which are outside/light-above ground.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There are three properties:

Outside/Inside
Light/Dark
Above Ground/Subterranean

Any tile that's ever been exposed to the sun becomes permanently Light and Above Ground, but not Outside, even if you subsequently cover it back up with floors. Grass will grow on these tiles if it's dirt (useful for pasturing grazing animals where goblins can't easily murder them) and you can grow above ground crops on them.

But these tiles are neutral for cave adaptation purposes--dwarves that hang out in such an area won't be cured of adaptation, but it won't get worse either. The only way to cure/prevent cave adaptation is for dwarves to actually be Outside, i.e. directly exposed to the sun.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
It takes 2 full years of being inside in the dark to gain full cave adaptation. A month outside where the sun can touch the dwarf directly will counteract 10 months inside in the dark. Non-dwarves do not have this penalty.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Eric the Mauve posted:

There are three properties:

Outside/Inside
Light/Dark
Above Ground/Subterranean

Any tile that's ever been exposed to the sun becomes permanently Light and Above Ground, but not Outside, even if you subsequently cover it back up with floors. Grass will grow on these tiles if it's dirt (useful for pasturing grazing animals where goblins can't easily murder them) and you can grow above ground crops on them.

But these tiles are neutral for cave adaptation purposes--dwarves that hang out in such an area won't be cured of adaptation, but it won't get worse either. The only way to cure/prevent cave adaptation is for dwarves to actually be Outside, i.e. directly exposed to the sun.

Oh. That would explain why my random glass covered shafts of lift into my fort were so bad at removing cave adaption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've been getting that dwarf fortress itch again. Big single layer main levels are inefficient as hell but I still make them every time so I have an ant farm z level where most of the important action happens.

This is my basic blueprint so far, how do you guys have your main areas set up?