Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

0-0-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Castling it is. 0-0-0

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
King's gotta get the gently caress outta dodge. 0-0-0.

(Or it is O-O-O? I know one's Portable Game Notation and one's Algebraic Chess Notation.)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

As bad as my QxD5 move is, I sincerely believe castling the other side is much better. Let's get the bishop out so we can castle into safety.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Snorb posted:

King's gotta get the gently caress outta dodge. 0-0-0.

(Or it is O-O-O? I know one's Portable Game Notation and one's Algebraic Chess Notation.)
Looks like the Os are PGN and the 0s are ACN.

I see what people are saying in that a queenside castle isn't ideal, but I also see what they're saying about how having a bunch of pieces stuck protecting the king also isn't ideal. Fair enough. 0-0-0

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

I see what people are saying in that a queenside castle isn't ideal, but I also see what they're saying about how having a bunch of pieces stuck protecting the king also isn't ideal. Fair enough. 0-0-0

Fair dos.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yes, like we're not wise to the fact that Herp is trying to make us lose.

I'm not trying to make us lose, I'm jumping in straight away with a quick and easy play just in case for whatever reason I'm unable to vote another way or if for whatever reason nobody else posts. Plus, with a direct refutation against a course of action we're granted additional direction as to better options.

Essentially, by being the "bad strategy guy" I can ensure that we don't do something really bad, thanks to Davin's logic:

Davin Valkri posted:

I figure an active and immediate refutation is good practice. Let no one think we're shutting him down without good reason.

This is how we'll win. It's been proven that unity will not work with us, so let's make good use of our divisions.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Let's just go for the 0-0-0 then! Help the King!

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
0-0-0 is a good call here.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
0-0-0 wins the vote!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Now we just have to hope the enemy is goaded into making a mistake. Only then may we seize victory.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0

White has 24 hours to decide on a move.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
My money's on them going Bg5 to threaten the knight and rook. What's our strategy if they do?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

My money's on them going Bg5 to threaten the knight and rook. What's our strategy if they do?

Pawn E5. If they take the bait, we can exchange our queen and rook later on in play.

Pawn A6. Meet their threat with a threat of our own against their bishop, potentially free up our queenside for offense again.

Pawn H6. Some 'get off my lawn' pressure that is just pretty bad development and may simply force their hand as to taking the knight.

Honestly, my vote is to move without caring for the consequences of Bg5. I value bishops much more than knights, and if they want to repeat our ridiculous move sacrificing the Bishop I am all for it.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'm liking pawn A6 to pressure that bishop, why is this a bad move?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm liking pawn A6 to pressure that bishop, why is this a bad move?

It's not really a bad move but odds are either White would move it to a4 and maintain the pin or go for a knight capture.

More importantly though it's not solving the core problem of White's defensive line becoming more established and we risk losing our defenses for our king.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 26, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

It's not really a bad move but odds are either White would move it to a4 and maintain the pin or go for a knight capture.

More importantly though it's not solving the core problem of White's defensive line becoming more established.

We can follow up an A4 move with pawn B5.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Is there anything we can do with our bishop? Feels like it should be able to sneak somewhere useful.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Paul.Power posted:

Is there anything we can do with our bishop? Feels like it should be able to sneak somewhere useful.

Right now it's keeping their rook from protecting their bishop and their knight from moving out.

Honestly right now this is the Cold War of chess games. No one wants to start getting into a serious conflict, so instead deterrents are being created everywhere.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
What do you all make of Pawn to e5? The way I see it, if they take the pawn that opens the d file, and if they don't, we can take it and open up possibilities for an attack along the h2-b8 diagonal?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm looking at Pawn to A6. They made trade their bishop for a pawn, or they may back off and give us an opening to keep advancing (the pawn can be kept at A6 to prevent the bishop from moving forward to try and strike again).

One risk I'm seeing is that a few moves down the line, if they open up their A1 rook's path it has a straight shot to the king.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I have a dumb plan that might make sense but probably doesn't, so someone tell me what I'm not seeing (it's 8 AM and I'm out of painkillers so shoulder pain is debilitating).

We go Nd5 and threaten a bishop.

If they respond with xd5, we go Qxd5. Either they can trade queens with Qxd5, xd5, or they protect their queen and we go Qxb5.

If they respond with Bg5 to attack the rook, we just go f6. Bxf6, xf6 means we take a bishop for two pawns, and the previous line is still active. Or Bxf6, Nxf6 to retract the previous line.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Well, that's pretty defensive. I guess white is worried about d corridor after all.

Okay, so we are after the white king, really. I have two suggestions:

Be7

to move our bishop out and cover our knight and our rook, also to threaten that diagonal when we move our knight out after h5 OR

H5.

Move up and support the tile we need to take white king. Both the rook and the knight support that pawn, and it's a bit far to threaten with the same pawns that are protecting the white king. If we can put a knight in g4 and then move Qc7, they will either have to sacrifice the Queen or downright lose. Unless they move the rook. It still is a dismantling move.

We could try and feint it out by pretending we're doing d corridor, move the queen first for a Qc7 and then go e5.

E5 probably still has to wait until we're ready to force a hand. A6 just gets us an exchange and we ruin our remaining queen side defence.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Nice piece of fish posted:

Well, that's pretty defensive. I guess white is worried about d corridor after all.

Okay, so we are after the white king, really. I have two suggestions:

Be7

to move our bishop out and cover our knight and our rook, also to threaten that diagonal when we move our knight out after h5 OR

H5.

Move up and support the tile we need to take white king. Both the rook and the knight support that pawn, and it's a bit far to threaten with the same pawns that are protecting the white king. If we can put a knight in g4 and then move Qc7, they will either have to sacrifice the Queen or downright lose. Unless they move the rook. It still is a dismantling move.

We could try and feint it out by pretending we're doing d corridor, move the queen first for a Qc7 and then go e5.

E5 probably still has to wait until we're ready to force a hand. A6 just gets us an exchange and we ruin our remaining queen side defence.

The Queen to h2 attack is what I was thinking of when I proposed pawn to e5. I'm good with either h5 or Qc7.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CirclMastr posted:

I have a dumb plan that might make sense but probably doesn't, so someone tell me what I'm not seeing (it's 8 AM and I'm out of painkillers so shoulder pain is debilitating).

We go Nd5 and threaten a bishop.

If they respond with xd5, we go Qxd5. Either they can trade queens with Qxd5, xd5, or they protect their queen and we go Qxb5.

If they respond with Bg5 to attack the rook, we just go f6. Bxf6, xf6 means we take a bishop for two pawns, and the previous line is still active. Or Bxf6, Nxf6 to retract the previous line.

I'd definitely exchange queens then if I was white, due to my huge lead in pieces remaining after that exchange. Guaranteed win.

Knights are very good on the offense when cracking a turtling king. We need that knight, and I don't know if that's the best trade we can make.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Davin Valkri posted:

The Queen to h2 attack is what I was thinking of when I proposed pawn to e5. I'm good with either h5 or Qc7.

Yeah, I can see it. h5, then Qc7, then e6 to make like a breaktrough, then Ng4. Problem is, it's obvious from a mile away. I think we need the h rook. Which means we have to get h pawn out and doing something. We've done very little with that entire side this entire game, and we probably need to make sure white sees the entire board as a threat. Less predictable is usually better.

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We need to remove the pin on our knight ASAP before we get choked to death here. I'm going to vote for Qc7. Open up the d-file for the D8 rook, make the pinned knight be able to actually move again, let the Queen cover that diagonal running up to h2.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

DM Zero posted:

We need to remove the pin on our knight ASAP before we get choked to death here. I'm going to vote for Qc7. Open up the d-file for the D8 rook, make the pinned knight be able to actually move again, let the Queen cover that diagonal running up to h2.

I kind of feel you, because when the pin is off the knight, we have a potential queen/bishop fork. While we don't attack, those white pawns are only blocking white's offense. Of course, white is immediately going to bring that rook in line.

Yeah, no, I like it. We put the queen in position to threaten a vital diagonal, while protecting the heck out of our center AND if we then go e5 and threaten the center or they do some stupid poo poo, we might be able to muster a threat on white queen.

Let's do this first. Qc7

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Qc7 gets my vote.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Qc7 gets my vote as well.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

If we Qc7, what's our counter to Bf4? It looks like our choices are either run away & concede the center, or Bd6 and block our queen in yet again.

I think I like h5 the best out of all our options. They have overloaded the king's side of the board, let's march the pawns and box them in.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Qc7 is bloody cheeky, I like it. We follow that up with Bd6 and if they don't plug that gap, we win the game, and if they do plug it we'll probably end up with a good trade or even ahead on material.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

oldskool posted:

If we Qc7, what's our counter to Bf4? It looks like our choices are either run away & concede the center, or Bd6 and block our queen in yet again.

I think I like h5 the best out of all our options. They have overloaded the king's side of the board, let's march the pawns and box them in.

I think the hard counter to that would be Nxd4, threatening their queen (and their other bishop!) as well.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

oldskool posted:

If they cede the center? Defensively Bf7. Offensively e6 and then battle for the center.

We need a play that starts picking off some officers soon. Unpinning that knight is a potential thing to that end. H5 isn't necessarily stupid, but the problem with trying for that flank is that white is going to move that rook, and then trapping the king is that more difficult. I'm not so sure it should be the first move right now, but I can probably be convinced in terms of what order our plays come in, if you want to effortpost about it.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Qc7 it is.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm liking Qc7, a simple move that does quite a bit and hopefully we can break this cold war soon.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All right, Qc7.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Qc7 fits the bill.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Works for me as well, Qc7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Let's do this. Qc7.

• Locked thread