Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kale posted:

Then why was everybody so surprised and literally saying it was impossible as of like a couple days ago before Heller flip flopped cause Trump scary apparently. I mean yeah it needed a tie breaker but I don't remember anyone besides me thinking it had a chance of being opened for debate.

You're conflating two different things. The earlier conviction that the MTP would fail was when there was a specific thing they were going to proceed to (BCRA or 2015 repeal) and neither had the votes. What changed was they agreed to just open debate anyway even without any loving idea where they planned to end up, and once that plan was announced nobody was sure what would happen.

The BCRA has already failed and 2015 Repeal is currently failing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kale posted:

Then why was everybody so surprised and literally saying it was impossible as of like a couple days ago before Heller flip flopped cause Trump scary apparently. I mean yeah it needed a tie breaker but I don't remember anyone besides me thinking it had a chance of being opened for debate.e

E: McCain no. Can't wait for mad trump to demonize him on twitter by dinner time.

The motion to proceed was always thought of a toss up. Which is literally ended up being as the votes were 50-50.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
So has the second dragon been slain? Is there just one more now?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

McCain grew a spine I guess. Too little too late.

Nah, bill's dead whether or not it was by his hand.

If he votes to shunt this poo poo back to committee though then maybe he finally grew... something. Not a spine? Kind of spine-like?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

The one that supposedly the votes to pass on Tuesday, yes.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Wait, so we want it to go back to committee? Doesn't that give it another chance at life?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Portman also a no

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

HappyHippo posted:

Hundreds of Amendments, one probably unkillable dragon unless there's a shift.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Rigel posted:

Who is "they"? On the day of the vote, we believed they may have 50.

Just about every pundit I'm aware of on either side of the debate. Now I'm hearing differently albeit with more compelling and plausible sounding reasons so I'm just gonna listen to the goons from now on since they clearly know what's up more than the pundits. I've been meaning to cut their rear end out as sources of info for a while cause of the whole newsfotainment thing though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Toaster Beef posted:

Wait, so we want it to go back to committee? Doesn't that give it another chance at life?

The Skinny Repeal is still very much alive. Going back to committee pushes that further down the road.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Toaster Beef posted:

The issue isn't going to get better for them, and they need to move on if they want to do other things. Sure, it gives it another shot at life, but it's probably better than them shoving through a skinny "we'll make this fail" repeal.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Toaster Beef posted:

Time limit. If it goes back to committee it may never come out again, and possibly not in time to qualify for this fiscal year's budget reconciliation.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Cabbit posted:

Only if they go on tour with a band named "Attack, Japan!" and do nothing but battle of the bands style gigs.

I'm in. Where is the kickstarter?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Amendment officially fails.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

51 no, 2015 repeal officially dead

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/Olivianuzzi/status/890300448120373248

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't understand how skinny repeal is an acceptable option to the base when there are public votes also being casted for BCRA and full repeal. How do you go back to your constituents and say you fulfilled your promise by voting no on everything except skinny repeal?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

HappyHippo posted:

I wouldn't celebrate too much, this one was never expected to pass anyway.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
For some reason Twitter is completely broken for me today. Great loving timing.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Der Drumpf Youth?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Oh my god, it's not even a convincing fake

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm not sure if it's the consistency of the alignment, but it really looks more like an adult trying to write like a child.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nachos posted:

I don't understand how skinny repeal is an acceptable option to the base when there are public votes also being casted for BCRA and full repeal. How do you go back to your constituents and say you fulfilled your promise by voting no on everything except skinny repeal?

Skinny repeal isn't intended to pass the House. It gets them a House/Senate conference, which hammers out one final "repeal and replace" attempt, and that gets voted on.

If that third attempt dies it's possible the House just passes skinny repeal but the HFC would probably block that.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Republican defections on the repeal and wait amendment.

Susan Collins Me.
Dean Heller Nev.
Lisa Murkowski Alaska
Lamar Alexander Tenn.
Shelley Moore Capito W.Va.
John McCain Ariz.
Rob Portman Ohio

Edit// Just waiting on Bennet to put out his blunt and get to the floor to vote no. Amendment will fail 45-55.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

nachos posted:

Skinny repeal is hilariously bad (for republicans) from my understanding, it isn't a large enough cut to medicaid to fund their big tax cuts, but it is enough to completely gently caress up the individual market and employer plans, which hits their middle class base directly.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Christ

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Definitely what a real, not made up nine year old sounds and writes like.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

farraday posted:

Republican defections on the repeal and wait amendment.

Susan Collins Me.
Dean Heller Nev.
Lisa Murkowski Alaska
Lamar Alexander Tenn.
Shelley Moore Capito W.Va.
John McCain Ariz.
Rob Portman Ohio

That wasn't expected, was it?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not to go all Flat Earther or whatever but this kid has pretty good handwriting for his spelling level.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Toaster Beef posted:

it is a complete clusterfuck. they dont even know what the talking points are - some are saying "yeah skinny is fine lets go with it forever" and some are saying "skinny is just a way to get it back to committee and the house will fix it"
http://ijr.com/2017/07/931129-senate-republicans-consider-passing-skinny-repeal-say-wouldnt-solve-problems/

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

nachos posted:

"We hashed things out to find the best version of repeal and replace, one that everyone could get behind except those obstructionist Democrats" will be the narrative.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Lets play who in the WH wrote this.

I'm gonna go with Miller.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I commend Don Jr. on managing to get up to the level of a 9 year old to write this!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Pakled posted:

I don't know poo poo about childhood education, but is there a chance that Dylan could be a nine-year-old with a learning disability?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Not by me. We'll see what he puts out after the vote.

Edit// The Donnelley motion to return it to Committee is effectively to kill attempts to pass it through the Senate at this time as I understand it.

It should have all Dem votes, however even Republicans unhappy with the process may not decide to vote to end this because they're cowards/masochists.

farraday fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 26, 2017

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The Glumslinger posted:

Skinny repeal is hilariously bad (for republicans) from my understanding, it isn't a large enough cut to medicaid to fund their big tax cuts, but it is enough to completely gently caress up the individual market and employer plans, which hits their middle class base directly.

And would have their fingerprints all over it because Donnie will crow big about the GOP passing a repeal, right?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Glumslinger posted:

Plus it totally wrecks their "Obamacare is failing" argument. If the skinny repeal becomes law, the resulting premium increases and losses of coverage will be (rightly) blamed on the Republicans. It's as if they know that Obamacare isn't actually failing and it needs an extra push to actually start failing, but by taking that step they're leaving only themselves open for blame.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kale posted:

Just about every pundit I'm aware of on either side of the debate. Now I'm hearing differently albeit with more compelling and plausible sounding reasons so I'm just gonna listen to the goons from now on since they clearly know what's up more than the pundits. I've been meaning to cut their rear end out as sources of info for a while cause of the whole newsfotainment thing though.

Thats understandable. News operates on simple sound bites and binary answers. We can usually spot weasel words and careful phrasing like "I am a no on MTP for the full repeal", which CNN might excitedly yell means victory, but we see that as "well ok, that plan looks dead. I wonder what the turtle will come up with next?"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

evilweasel posted:

Was about to point out/ask the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Pakled posted:

I don't think I ever in my life consistently made that kind of phonetic spelling error and only that kind of phonetic spelling error over something that long.

fsif posted:

I don't know poo poo about childhood education, but is there a chance that Dylan could be a nine-year-old with a learning disability?
This is a potential explanation since it's only one particular kind of spelling error throughout, but I'm still very skeptical.

• Locked thread